The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

GOPAPA 03-11-2023 09:30 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS (Post 9185753)
Spent the day cleaning the other cars for the upcoming Portland Roadster Show as we finally had a small dry weather break.

Really nice cars you got there,, and you made room to store them in your garage too.. I once had a girl friend in Hillsboro that I traveled from Rainier Oregon to see for a couple months many years ago .. That would of been before you had these nice cars..I have a freind from Rainier that had his 56 Chevy Blue truck in this show couple years ago ..Maybe you seen it there ?

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-11-2023 11:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9185762)
Looks like 57 Chrysler headlights and 56 Fairlane park lamps.

Correct on the headlights, the complete grille is out of a 54 Chevy, with 14 extra teeth, for 19 total. The front bumper is a 59 Chevy passenger car thats been narrowed 3" inches. Also has a 59 Chevy rear bumper then has 1960 Chrysler tail lights in it as well.

Here is a full history/build thread on the car I did on anther forum, car has 9 lives and has used about 6 of them at this point, lol

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ustom.1108431/

The car has pretty much had this custom look since 1959. The original owner worked part time at a body shop and built this car. He had a buddy that then built a similar custom, but its base was a 58 Impala convertible.

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-11-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9185817)
Really nice cars you got there,, and you made room to store them in your garage too.. I once had a girl friend in Hillsboro that I traveled from Rainier Oregon to see for a couple months many years ago .. That would of been before you had these nice cars..I have a freind from Rainier that had his 56 Chevy Blue truck in this show couple years ago ..Maybe you seen it there ?

Probably, I've been going to show every year since I was baby, lol. My whole family has been involved in various functions for the Council that puts the show on.

GOPAPA 03-11-2023 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Really nice cars you got there,, and you made room to store them in your garage too..
.I have a freind from Rainier that had his 56 Chevy Blue truck in this show couple years ago ..Maybe you seen it there ?

Probably, I've been going to show every year since I was baby, lol. My whole family has been involved in various functions for the Council that puts the show on.
Here is a photo of his truck that was in the show

Attachment 2262074

CAMAROBOY68SS 03-11-2023 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9185865)
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Really nice cars you got there,, and you made room to store them in your garage too..
.I have a freind from Rainier that had his 56 Chevy Blue truck in this show couple years ago ..Maybe you seen it there ?

Here is photos of his truck that was in the show

Attachment 2262074

Yep I remember that truck now. My grandpa and I looked it for quite awhile. Loved the color on it.

yuccales 03-11-2023 08:14 PM

Changed out the broken transfer case shifter fulcrum ball on the Montero. Broke on my wife in the driveway luckily, not out and about. Took longer to pull the console then the four bolts for the shifter. Genuine Mitsubishi $20.00 ball fit fine. Not to much cussing. What I thought was very interesting was all the small broken pieces of the ball ended up in a "well" in the top of the transfer case. Almost as though Mitsubishi knew failure was an option. :lol:

Boog 03-11-2023 08:24 PM

Spent time on and off the ladders between re-siding my shop and inside the shop, waiting for the rain to stop. I'm winning!

special-K 03-11-2023 09:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I went to a local AACA chapter swap meet at a fairground. First one of the season for Maryland. Mid-40s for the high and windy, 30 mph gusts. I wanted to get a space but not in that wind. I saw a GM SBC aluminum intake but held on to my wallet. He wanted $350, said he'd take $325. If I really wanted it I'd have made an offer. Mostly went to meet up with a friend/fellow member, Jack_71c10, from here I hadn't seen in a while. It was really just a place to walk along and talk. Neither of us really needed anything

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9186019)
Spent time on and off the ladders between re-siding my shop and inside the shop, waiting for the rain to stop. I'm winning!

Too bad we're not neighbors. I'd let you borrow a walkboard to make things easier. I have an 18', 20', 24', 30' and two that expand, 8'-14' and 10'-17'

EDIT: A few pictures added from the swap meet. Comet was $4,500, '46 Buick was $5k. My dad had a black '49 Torpedoback. I'd love to get one

special-K 03-12-2023 09:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This Bug was parked outside. Looks about the same color my '56 was, Mercedes Blue. This one is a '58-'61. I wish mine was a ragtop sunroof. I let mine go because that's what I wished mine was.

EDIT: I see now it's a '58

Boog 03-12-2023 01:20 PM

Be nice to have one of those bugz again.

tutone 03-12-2023 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9186041)
I went to a local AACA chapter swap meet at a fairground. First one of the season for Maryland. Mid-40s for the high and windy, 30 mph gusts. I wanted to get a space but not in that wind. I saw a GM SBC aluminum intake but held on to my wallet. He wanted $350, said he'd take $325. If I really wanted it I'd have made an offer. Mostly went to meet up with a friend/fellow member, Jack_71c10, from here I hadn't seen in a while. It was really just a place to walk along and talk. Neither of us really needed anything

Too bad we're not neighbors. I'd let you borrow a walkboard to make things easier. I have an 18', 20', 24', 30' and two that expand, 8'-14' and 10'-17'

EDIT: A few pictures added from the swap meet. Comet was $4,500, '46 Buick was $5k. My dad had a black '49 Torpedoback. I'd love to get one

The Buick looks great. Several years back, I turkey hunted a couple hundred acres with an old barn at the entrance. There was a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak in there and a 64 impala 2 dr ht. I tried to buy the pontiac but couldnt seal the deal. It went to a grandson and he turned it loose . Here is an internet picture of one. I love that long back.

special-K 03-12-2023 02:33 PM

Me too. That '46 Buick is all there. Even the chrome was good and shiny. The Comet appeared to be clean original condition, too, 6cly/auto. Neither had hateful prices for today. I really like that Silver Streak. I have a thing for all GMs of that design era. The post-war integrated body with the old rooflines carried over and first hardtops. I like the long tails as well as the business coupes. I like 'em all. To have one of each top design would be a good size collection in itself

Stocker 03-12-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9186211)
Be nice to have one of those bugz again.

Maybe one like in that pic.... but not like the '62 I owned in 1967. The best thing about that car was replacing it with my first new car, a '68 Camaro RS.

Talk about luxury, that Camaro actually had a functioning heater & defroster! :chevy:

special-K 03-12-2023 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 9186249)
Maybe one like in that pic.... but not like the '62 I owned in 1967. The best thing about that car was replacing it with my first new car, a '68 Camaro RS.

Talk about luxury, that Camaro actually had a functioning heater & defroster! :chevy:

Ain't that the truth. Boy, first car I got with a fan switch was pure luxury and so was driving without gloves on. Then there was this device called a defroster. I learned you only need an ice scraper on the outside when you first start the car in the morning. In fact, if you go back inside and wait a while the car does it all by itself! VW, a car made to go great in the snow. How confusing is that when you'd think it was made for the tropics

72c20customcamper 03-12-2023 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9185621)
Here is the answer. Nope. But it is good. I got a bottle. 10 bucks worth. Nothing hit me in the back, like my change, as I was going out the door.

I don’t eat much at Cracker Barrel always thought they had 100% pure maple syrup . I wouldn’t put that on anything .

Actually found they used to use Pure Maple Syrup now it’s Pure Natural Syrup so it’s a mix with 45% added sugar. The one on the right is the little bottle I remember

tutone 03-12-2023 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9186274)
I don’t eat much at Cracker Barrel always thought they had 100% pure maple syrup . I wouldn’t put that on anything .

Actually found they used to use Pure Maple Syrup now it’s Pure Natural Syrup so it’s a mix with 45% added sugar. The one on the right is the little bottle I remember

Well, I bought a bottle and fixed pancakes the next morning, and they were good. The syrup was ok, but I remember it seemed to be better at CB years ago. I wonder when they swapped over. I guess to cut down on expenses.

Stocker 03-12-2023 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9186254)
Ain't that the truth. Boy, first car I got with a fan switch was pure luxury and so was driving without gloves on. Then there was this device called a defroster. I learned you only need an ice scraper on the outside when you first start the car in the morning. In fact, if you go back inside and wait a while the car does it all by itself! VW, a car made to go great in the snow. How confusing is that when you'd think it was made for the tropics

Nail on the head, Tim. It's been decades ago but I still remember thinking Germany surely must have had winters, yet somehow lacked the ability to design a car with cold weather in mind??
And a pair of snow tires would turn it into a tank.... That little car could be a real head-scratcher. Not to mention hard to start on cold mornings with only one good cylinder, but that's another story.

special-K 03-12-2023 08:57 PM

i had a motor built in mine a bit bigger than the one I showed, and I kept it 6v. I put a second battery on the other side in parallel

allchevy58 03-12-2023 10:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yesterday ran the snow blower and snow shovel again. Then cleaned up the side by side and one of my trucks.

Ol Blue K20 03-13-2023 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought new tires and wheels for the 95 Burb. Now it might make it through the snow and go to the cabin.

Boog 03-13-2023 05:58 PM

Yeah. Got some snow drift clearance happening now.

Ol Blue K20 03-13-2023 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9186588)
Yeah. Got some snow drift clearance happening now.

Yep, and tread...:lol:

LockDoc 03-13-2023 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9186576)
I bought new tires and wheels for the 95 Burb. Now it might make it through the snow and go to the cabin.

Looks good Dale. Hope you can get there with no problems. Sounds like more is coming in.... :(

LockDoc
'

Stocker 03-13-2023 08:19 PM

Take plenty of provisions Dale, ya never know when you might get snowed in at the cabin. ;)

FleetsidePaul 03-14-2023 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9186152)
This Bug was parked outside. Looks about the same color my '56 was, Mercedes Blue. This one is a '58-'61. I wish mine was a ragtop sunroof. I let mine go because that's what I wished mine was.

I like yours better. Those fat rear wheels look out of place.

Today I didn't "do' anything on my truck but I bought stuff for it. I got a cherry original hood for the flatbed (bye bye Bondo) and a freshly redone seat that looks spankin brand new. The guy also had a nice original tach dash too. Is $480 too much? I don't really know what they go for.