The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

jbgroby 09-06-2011 09:05 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

When I had my upper ball joints replaced, did I get reamed. The labor was the kicker, it took them "supposely" 6 hours to removed 2 balls joint oh well live and learn only the wifes money ;).

Glad to have done it, but OUCH. knowing what I know now, I will replace my own from here on out.

kieth 09-06-2011 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuellg1977 (Post 4883935)
Isn't that 700R4 nice? I love locking mine up on the interstate and just cruising along!!

Sam

Yes , it is the only way to go, simple , cheap, saves money on fuel, and quiets the cab down. Kieth :gmc2:

ChuckW 09-06-2011 02:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Still plugging away... But she's getting there...

awbrown 09-06-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 4884386)
When I had my upper ball joints replaced, did I get reamed. The labor was the kicker, it took them "supposely" 6 hours to removed 2 balls joint oh well live and learn only the wifes money ;).

Glad to have done it, but OUCH. knowing what I know now, I will replace my own from here on out.

Guess the ball joints were the only thing to get the grease... what was flat rate?? I cant see more than 2 hours coffee and donut break included....

Clyde65 09-06-2011 06:23 PM

If they were the original ball joints, they would be harder to remove....but 6 hours? I think that might be excessive. I looked it up on the net and ball joints replace bolth sides upper were 1.7hours, not sure if this would encompass our trucks but it would be close.

Since it's done, you are probably stuck, but I would ask them where they got their figures from.

Kerlijah 09-06-2011 07:40 PM

That engine is gorgeous!!

Leadfoot Lambert 09-06-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerlijah (Post 4885335)
That engine is gorgeous!!

x2

niterider65 09-07-2011 12:01 AM

thanks for the input on the ball joints and using an 3/4 drive socket to drive the ball joins in. the ball joints didnt win this round :lol:
nowci have to wait for the upper and lower rubber stoper for the
aframes to come in before i put the spindles on ... then i can put the disc bracks back on .. then ill go and tackle the cab and get it ready for paint this weekend.. if its not 100 degress this weekend .. :chevy: more pics
later

niterider65 09-07-2011 12:09 AM

i removed my ball joints sunday uses an air chizel it tooks 2 hours for both
give or take coke or beer break and people going what are you doing ..:lol:
But putting the new lower ball joints in .. took a little longer..
after some one at work let me barrow there ball joint press .. i had put on last nite had to use an socket to finish the one last nite then 5 min on the passanger side to nite nice when you have the right tools ...:lol::chevy:

Vernski 09-07-2011 01:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my bed sides on today just need to finish up the tailgate then ready to paint. I'm lookin for a decent painter in the area but haven't found the right one yet but have some to check out Thursday...Vernski:mm:

bo-w 09-07-2011 02:30 AM

discovered my rear main has leaked all over my clutch :(

66-PMD-GMC 09-07-2011 02:38 AM

I nearly finished stripping the wrong brackets and such off my 71 frame that is going under my 66. I have the correct rear body mount supports to change out along with the front core support mounts and radiator support/cross member. Also finished my frame jig to hold the frame while I work on it. Tomorrow I should be able to get the last parts off the frame, wire the new parts that are going on the frame and haul the whole thing to the sand blaster. I will be picking up a new data cable for my camera phone to post photos of the project. The paint, new bushings, grade 8 shoulder bolts etc. are sitting in my roll away waiting for the fun to begin.

jbgroby 09-07-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4886145)
Got my bed sides on today just need to finish up the tailgate then ready to paint. I'm lookin for a decent painter in the area but haven't found the right one yet but have some to check out Thursday...Vernski:mm:

OH Looking good Vern!

Vernski 09-07-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 4886245)
OH Looking good Vern!

Hey thanks for the heads up Jake I had one of those silver churchill's the other day, but don't tell the doc. mmm good!...Vernski:mm:

jbgroby 09-07-2011 04:13 PM

yeah, I'm running real low I'm down to 6 cigars in the box, time to restock.

sigshooter 09-08-2011 10:04 PM

Stripped my donor truck down..... short bed here we come

sigshooter 09-08-2011 10:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigshooter (Post 4889407)
Stripped my donor truck down..... short bed here we come

Photos didnt load, so here they are

samuellg1977 09-08-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 4886550)
Hey thanks for the heads up Jake I had one of those silver churchill's the other day, but don't tell the doc. mmm good!...Vernski:mm:

I love cigars and trying different blends and brands, I had a hand made Maduro in Tampa last week and it was so smooth, I had another... Then, I had to go lie down. I was dizzy and pale. Washed em down with a couple of ice cold pitchers of the in-house brewed Orange Ale. Very NICE!!!

jbgroby 09-09-2011 07:56 AM

My nephew called me the other day and told me for my b/d on the 15th., he’s dropping off 2 actual Cuban grown and made cigars. I’ve never had one before and I’ll get my friend Ed over to help me give them a proper cremation and a few colds ones and “Jack Daniels Honey” for me.

A lot of folks get all excited over the “Cuban” labels and such, but as some of us might know, there is really nothing all that special about them. The water, pH, soil alkalinity and conditions are the same for the entire region in that hemisphere. So IF you get Cuban or Cuban seed from the Dominican Republic. Other than where they might have been rolled (“Fidel” promises it's on the thighs of virgins), we’ll see. In reality all the cigars from that region really are the same.

The taste difference simply comes from the age of the dry leaf and the outer wrapper and of course what “chemicals” they infuse them with, etc, etc.

But It’s another I can check off on the bucket list!

Vernski 09-09-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuellg1977 (Post 4889522)
I love cigars and trying different blends and brands, I had a hand made Maduro in Tampa last week and it was so smooth, I had another... Then, I had to go lie down. I was dizzy and pale. Washed em down with a couple of ice cold pitchers of the in-house brewed Orange Ale. Very NICE!!!

Hey way to go nothin better than a good cigar and a good cold brew or sipin whisky. Oh and Jake sounds like a great b-day coming up enjoy...Vernski:smoke:

kieth 09-09-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigshooter (Post 4889433)
Photos didnt load, so here they are

Why is your cab on its side, thats a little rough on it isn't it ? Kieth:uhmk:

samuellg1977 09-09-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 4890174)

That cab is on its side BECAUSE HE TOLD IT TWICE!!!

lakeroadster 09-10-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el_bole (Post 4881445)
Hmmmm where to start....I bought a "new" bed... Took Old bed off (don't like the Chop done to it) what a bear it was...Me, Myself, And I took it off, oh yeah the cherry picker helped LOL

http://inlinethumb41.webshots.com/46...600x600Q85.jpg
I really liked the unique bed chop your truck had going. The photo below is one of my favorite trucks on the site, don't know if you have seen it or not. Amazing how, IMO, the suede look "fits" the modified bed length.

I wonder if those custom flames on your truck distracted from the character of the bed modification, visually altering the proportions? In any event, if we didn't live so far apart I'd buy the modified bed off of you in a heartbeat!

Funny how one man will view something as fugly, while another thinks it is bad ass.......... One man's junk is another man's treasure as they say!
http://inlinethumb33.webshots.com/48...600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb55.webshots.com/47...600x600Q85.jpg

SulphuriousSam 09-10-2011 10:16 AM

I think it's a pretty cool bed too. Other than the flame job that is :)
Posted via Mobile Device

SulphuriousSam 09-10-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 4890174)

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuellg1977 (Post 4891134)
That cab is on its side BECAUSE HE TOLD IT TWICE!!!

Nah it's not on it's side. That is obviously a Kustom mod! The ole inverted gull wing cab mod :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device