The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

DeadheadNM 11-27-2020 08:52 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57taskforce (Post 8841711)
One of these days when you get back around, we’ll have to grab the kids and go up and check it out. I’d easily move up there and live off the land for at least part of the year if I was in a position to do so.
You’re correct not one of the 4 sacred peaks. Have you ever driven up to or hiked around the Shiprock pinnacle? That’s another really cool place.

I’d love that. Ahéhee.

Sadly, I’ve not been closer than pavement to Shiprock. Figured access might be tricky. Back in the early 90s I bumped around Fort Defiance over to 1st/2nd Mesa in a buddies 1970 Chevy swb k10 water hauler. Good times.

davischevy 11-27-2020 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8841748)
I’d love that. Ahéhee.

Sadly, I’ve not been closer than pavement to Shiprock. Figured access might be tricky. Back in the early 90s I bumped around Fort Defiance over to 1st/2nd Mesa in a buddies 1970 Chevy swb k10 water hauler. Good times.

You better ask if Tyler has plenty of wood already at home before you go. :lol::lol:

Ol Blue K20 11-27-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8841758)
You better ask if Tyler has plenty of wood already at home before you go. :lol::lol:

Wow!! :lol::lol::lol:

57taskforce 11-28-2020 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8841758)

That’s a good point Larry, I might turn into that uncle we all had growing up that would put us to work doing crappy chores every time we visited:lol:

Pete, the drive to the Shiprock pinnacle is actually really easy. There’s semi decent dirt roads that lead right to the base and even go all the way around it. My dad did the drive in a Mitsubishi crossover last summer with no issues. The exposed volcanic wall that runs to the south west of the pinnacle is quite impressive. We can add that to the list as well:metal:

special-K 11-28-2020 08:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I left off the concrete work along the garage I built with pulling that swing set footer out. Once past that obstacle, bit by bit, I got the walls, steps, and walkway all done

Attachment 2063564
Attachment 2063565
Attachment 2063566

I needed to make a threshold for the entry door on the one side

special-K 11-28-2020 08:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I had an old 6 pane window sash with no glass I saved from a chicken coupe that went down in a big snow. I decided to size it down to a 4 pane so it would fit in the door I needed to make for the garage. That went well (still needs glass) so I took another sash, with glass, that I had and did the same for the other door. The doors I made from reclaimed Douglas Fir 2x6 rafters. Nice stuff!. The inner panel is 1x6 beaded barn t&g. The best part was all materials, including the Timberlocs (bolts), hinges, and even paint I already had. I only had to buy the thumb latches, $25@
Attachment 2063571

Palf70Step 11-28-2020 09:10 AM

Very nice work Tim. The carpentry/woodworking gene skipped me.

72c20customcamper 11-28-2020 09:26 AM

Turned out great Tim. Going to have to build the vanity for my bath dont like the commercial offerings . Been gathering boards from my barn not the barn itself but the old horse stalls . Perfect excuse to buy a new table saw:metal:

special-K 11-28-2020 10:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8841898)
Very nice work Tim. The carpentry/woodworking gene skipped me.

You just need to dabble in it and next thing you know you'll be building things. I'm best with rustic more than fine millwork/joinery these days
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8841903)
Turned out great Tim. Going to have to build the vanity for my bath dont like the commercial offerings . Been gathering boards from my barn not the barn itself but the old horse stalls . Perfect excuse to buy a new table saw:metal:

I really like my Dewalt. I'd have to check the model#. But it's the portable one with a tubular cage for the base. It's made to be moved, hauled, and used. They thought of everything with that saw.

I did all the cabinets in this house. Simple and primitive. Built in place. I just finished a kitchen job on Wed. I've never been too crazy about commercially available kitchens. It seems even the most expensive are made as cheaply as they can get away with, yet all cost more than I can see went into them.

I'm done the garage for now. I'd like to have gotten the roll-up door done, but many fish to fry. The electric, garage door, and slab have to wait. I can poke away at the electric still. My current big project is moving my little barn (12 x 20). I built it near a maple tree 30+ years ago and the tree grew a lot while I wasn't looking. The tree wins. I'd like to trim it back, but taking it out is not in my plans. Since I don't plan to stay here too terribly long I decided the minimal solution is move just the barn portion of the building over 32". I'll lose that much out of the shed side, which is now 12'... so about 9' after the move. Still good useful space.

It's all dug out ready for concrete, but I decided to rent a concrete saw to make a cut the slab just inside the posts. Then break out that edge and get what's left of the posts out so the new concrete can make a smooth flush seam. The slab was poured after the barn was built and the concrete wasn't troweled out at the edge.

72c20customcamper 11-28-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been a while since I’ve been in the er. Cut it with a filet knife doing backstraps for dinner ,deer got me back . So know I’ll have matching hands after my surgery next week

LockDoc 11-28-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8842118)
Been a while since I’ve been in the er. Cut it with a filet knife doing backstraps for dinner ,deer got me back . So know I’ll have matching hands after my surgery next week

OUCH! I hate when that happens. I have been pretty lucky with all of the stuff I have been working on.

LockDoc

DeadheadNM 11-28-2020 07:49 PM

Ouch. I ran a bit through my left thumbnail earlier this year reattaching garage door trim.

davischevy 11-28-2020 09:16 PM

All this talk of work really alienates me from you guys. :lol::lol:

Ol Blue K20 11-28-2020 09:29 PM

That sucks, I've had so many stitches, I lost count, I hope you heal fast and well. I agree Larry!

davischevy 11-28-2020 09:56 PM

Oh, I forgot to feel sorry for you guys with the scars.

Seriously, I hope your wound heals well and your surgery goes well next week Mark.

72c20customcamper 11-28-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8842168)
All this talk of work really alienates me from you guys. :lol::lol:

I'm busier now that I'm retired. I tend to take on to many projects

Funny thing about the hand I never even felt it only reason I knew I was cut when my wife yelled at me that my hand was bleeding ,even in the er no pain ,they checked for nerve damage but had full feeling in the finger. Hardly felt the shots to numb it

special-K 11-28-2020 10:04 PM

It'll get sore. Don't worry

davischevy 11-28-2020 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8842188)
I'm busier now that I'm retired. I tend to take on to many projects

I resemble that statement.

special-K 11-29-2020 06:32 AM

Other Larry stays busy I am sure. Might use the pointin' finger more than us, but hands on with the pickups. I have this illusion that once I get my 'buildings' situation squared up I will have time to pay attention to my '67 and '72. The 'buildings' situation is sure taking some time, but I'm doing what I can when I can. My buddy above's pep talk really helps

davischevy 11-29-2020 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't point much anymore. My son in law does that. The only pointing I do is the maintenance guy on my rentals.

Lately, I have been doing a lot of the heavy hauls. We are short on CDL drivers, and I kind of like the HH, but I hate to take the time away from my projects.

It looks like I may get my 55 back from the paint shop this week, so I will have to put it back together.

special-K 11-29-2020 07:26 PM

I didn't know about that project. Freshening her up, ey?

57taskforce 11-29-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8842418)
I don't point much anymore. My son in law does that. The only pointing I do is the maintenance guy on my rentals.

Lately, I have been doing a lot of the heavy hauls. We are short on CDL drivers, and I kind of like the HH, but I hate to take the time away from my projects.

It looks like I may get my 55 back from the paint shop this week, so I will have to put it back together.

I can’t wait to see it back together Larry!

Snarl95 11-29-2020 10:20 PM

Installed 30 storm windows at my house.

FleetsidePaul 11-30-2020 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8842418)

Nice 55.

It always kind of breaks my heart when I see one. When I was 16 a kid at school wanted to trade his 55 for my 62 Ranchero. And he was serious about it.
My Ranchero was pretty nice. I had spent 2 years fixing it up. I got it when I was 14 for $100 and worked on it non stop. I painted it in the backyard. Fixed everything. And it turned out okay. It was Midnight blue with slots on it. But I really wanted that 55.

But my father said no way. And there was no way to get around that. When the old man said no. It was over. And that was that. :mad:

allchevy58 12-01-2020 12:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Brought my work truck home this weekend. Cleaned up interior and exterior, polished aluminum.