The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=264226)

vtblazer 06-12-2008 06:40 PM

Re: "Slowly but Surely" Big J's build thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 2762873)
Me either, but if you could get a pic of your cousin sitting in the cab I'm sure it would help my opinion :5150:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamie72 (Post 2762889)
that would work..lol :metal:

Okay, now I wanna see the cousin. :devil:

jaros44sr 06-12-2008 07:21 PM

OK, where's the cousin???

:wop: of the cousin LOL

Big J 06-12-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2762929)
Okay, now I wanna see the cousin. :devil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 2762975)
OK, where's the cousin???

:wop: of the cousin LOL

You fellas must've missed my thread in the general discussion forum. Do a search for Hooters in there....

I've hatched a new plan for the metal top. I'm gonna cut straight across from side to side about 6" from the front. Weld some tabs on it to bolt to the windshield frame and make bikini top that will snap to that instead of the windshield frame. I think, lol.....

Big J 06-12-2008 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres my progress for tonight. Didn't have time to work on the blazer... I had to sweep the pool, oh poor me, :waah::lol: The water temp is already up to 85..... NICE! All nice and clear now. It was dark by the time I got done so no pretty water pic....lol....

5150 06-13-2008 12:14 AM

I changed my mind I want to see the cousin by the pool :5150:

jamie72 06-13-2008 03:55 PM

lol brian you beat me to it!!!

Big J 06-13-2008 04:55 PM

I was wondering how long it'd take for the cousin stuff to seap over here....:waah: Yall are silly....:lol: I need to give her a ring for an update on the contest.

Big J 06-19-2008 09:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
No real progress lately, yard, pool and work stuff has kinda taken over at the moment. I did however score a fine original tailgate last night. My wonderful uncle sent me to a CL link in Cincy. I left work/Louisville at 6 and got up there around 8:30. Kind of a creepy situation. I pull up and there is a hurst with a coffin in the back..... All kinds of old cars parked around the area too. It used to be a car lot. The guy was pretty nice. He said, "follow me"....
He opened a big glass door and there I saw around 200 or so caskets! All standing upright in rows. The tailgate was around the corner next to one. I was glad when he told me not to worry they were all new and empty!:lol: He did offer to sale me one or two. 300 bucks a pop for the good ones, not made in China he says, what a sales person.... I did think about it. The last one I bought (and it looked the same as these) ran 5 grand, had a dove embroidered in the lid so it was well worth it, lol. Well I got the tailgate and it rocks! Just some surface rust and a couple very small dings. The latch spring is even tight. The parts that catch on the sides look new too. I have been informed its a 67-68 tailgate. Here are a few pics...

Burt4x4 06-20-2008 10:04 AM

hahahah creeepy :uhmk:

Big J 06-21-2008 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
What do yall think of this orange. Its a shade or so brighter than Hugger.

DURRTY 06-23-2008 06:44 PM

it looks good. its not hugger orange, maybe hugger red lol . It would most definitely stand out in a crowd.

vtblazer 06-23-2008 07:06 PM

What are those...?

jaros44sr 06-23-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 2778108)
What are those...?

R/C car bodies...Orange has always bin my favorite, just stands out

jamie72 06-23-2008 09:40 PM

i was thinkin they were something out of nip-tuck.. gone bad..lol

Big J 06-24-2008 10:23 AM

Those are color samples from http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm

They have some great prices. I'm really leaning toward using the base/clear and the spray in bedliner they sale. They've also got a dedicated forum to all the products they sale. I even talked to the owner. Can't do that with PPG or Dupount.

http://spi.forumup.org/index.php?mforum=spi

jamie72 07-01-2008 06:25 PM

gee this post keeps falling..... wheres hugy?? lol

jaros44sr 07-01-2008 07:16 PM

Oh no, don't get hugy back. It was just going back to normal

Big J 07-01-2008 09:23 PM

Its all good, hugy is welcome here anytime.... I've been attending to yard work and what not..... Last week I planted a 600' hedge line along the back side of my property. I've still got 24 siberian elms to put in the ground. I planted 168 already.... Talkin' about being ready to go back to work on the blazer, its way easier than landscaping..... I did get some good planning time in while diggin' the holes. I've got several more little adjustment to make before that final coat of epoxy primer....

kyull67 07-01-2008 10:38 PM

Looking good! I like the orange.

Big J 07-02-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyull67 (Post 2789526)
Looking good! I like the orange.

Thanks. If I man up and paint it myself, that orange is the way I'm leaning. I was looking at another orange by RM but it was around 700.00 a gallon.... :waah:

Big J 07-02-2008 09:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Stole a few minutes tonight and welded up some trim holes and speaker wire holes in my doors. One pic shows why you measure twice and drill once. I don't know what they were thinkin' with the speaker wire holes.

Big J 07-02-2008 09:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more and some of the hedge line I was talking about... One pic of the best investment of the summer. Aqua Critter..... Vaccums the pool for me. Not only do you get to see pics of the fun stuff we all enjoy but you get to see pics of the stuff (yard work) that makes us enjoy the time we have with our trucks:lol::lol::lol:.

jaros44sr 07-03-2008 04:38 AM

Build progess looks great, but how about aqua cousin?:lol:

Big J 07-05-2008 10:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Welded up some pin holes and fixed the rockers. They were bowed in at each end.... So I just sliced both ends toward the middle bent it out until against a strait edge then filled it in. No biggie. But I think thats all the welding I need to do!!! Next is stripping the bedsides, doors, and tailgate then shooting the epoxy primer. Then some filler work. Then some sanding. Then some filler primer. Then some block sanding. Then some more primer. Then more blocking. Then paint!:chevy: Theres more ta do but I figure everyone knows that.:lol::lol::lol:

Big J 07-07-2008 10:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Stripped some paint today. I used aircraft stripper, yay.....
Nasty stuff. I didn't have chemical proof gloves or paint brush. Melted several pairs of latex gloves and 3 paint brushes. Word of advice, buy the right tools if your going to use this stuff. I did use a respirator, this stuff is bad to breath.... I got down to last layer of paint and then some. The stripper didn't seem to affect the primer I shot on to protect the parts the guy sandblasted. I think I'm going to finish it up with some stripping wheels. Should cut right through whats left. Hopefully the bare metal I got done won't flash.. Heres some pics of the mess. :uhmk: