The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Project "Popeye" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=383265)

Chevette 10-28-2012 04:21 PM

Re: Project "Popeye"

Looks real good, LEEVON. Very nice.;)

xpickup 10-28-2012 07:07 PM

LEEVON, looks great. Keep up the great work.

Shannon

LEEVON 10-28-2012 07:35 PM

Thanks Ya'll!

99 to Life 10-28-2012 08:08 PM

I'm in luuuuv with this patina. and the the set up too

NewType72 10-29-2012 02:01 AM

man that last shot of the bed on looks awesome!!

FRENCHBLUE72 10-30-2012 08:27 PM

Looks great with the bed on..

LEEVON 12-18-2012 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot to add this pic sometime back:

bjcaldwe 12-18-2012 04:18 PM

Nice.

67cheby 12-18-2012 04:36 PM

bed looks great

SCOTI 12-28-2012 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Bumping this for Leevon. Per my message in my PM, we're looking for the dimension/height of the rail @ this point on the frame directly above where the rear axle tube would be positioned (circled in the pic). Just the rail height only (top lip to botton lip).

And for the 2nd pic, are you bottomed out in your c-notch?

LEEVON 12-28-2012 01:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The frame rail depth over the axle was approximately 3.75". This isn't exact of course, since I have the notch now but it should be close. With the notch, the top of my frame rail is now 2.5" from the top of the axle at full dump. The pumpkin is in to the bed about 1". I'll probably just move shim the bed floor up that amount. It's not a big deal, just need to relocate the side rails and add the same amount to the cross rails. I might just go even simpler and cut a small hole though.

In the second picture above the frame notch is resting on the axle (full dump). Reading into your question about the bed floor a bit, I think I have gone the lowest possible with the least impact. My running boards are about 2.5" off the ground but if I wanted to lay completely out, in order to raise the axle another 2.5" higher, I'd have to do a bridge/notch and would lose much more of the bed. Here are a couple more pictures for reference.

SCOTI 12-28-2012 02:55 PM

Excellent.... The info w/pics provided will help my buddy & his son make some educated decisions.

We've been discussing chassis options for his youngest boys truck. They were looking into the S10 chassis swap but it's debatable if there's that much benefit depending on 1) how much you get w/the donor truck; B) what kind of shape it's in; C) how much the donor costs. This led to discussions about what it would take to just utilize the OE frame w/an IFS front set-up & new rear suspension.

The key factor is the budget. 2 blossoming hot-rodders + their projects while trying to teach them to do as much as possible in the driveway.... We know the front will be pretty low but the rear was an unknown (Which would be required, the c-notch or step notch?). The pics/visual info should help them get an idea of how low they can go w/the typical frame c-notch.

Thanks for the help!

99 to Life 12-28-2012 07:37 PM

I can't get over the patina on this truck. I just luuuuv it.

If money is of any concern and you want to lower or bag it, I'd say the s-10 is
always going to be your safest bet. You can get a rolling chassis for 100 bucks usually, say even 200 thats nothing and the foundation and geometry is already there. Just my opinion. I'm all in favor of both but man just forking out the cash for an IFS and then a bag set up is pricey.

SCOTI 12-28-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 5782365)

always going to be your safest bet. You can get a rolling chassis for 100 bucks usually, say even 200 thats nothing and the foundation and geometry is already there. Just my opinion. I'm all in favor of both but man just forking out the cash for an IFS and then a bag set up is pricey.

They're a little prouder of them in this area.... Also, chassis wise, the S10 track width is narrow (</= 54"). Out back it's not too much of a concern but up front it requires spacers, wheels w/minimal BS, or both. Then you have to figure out all the body mount stuff....

Suspension wise, swapping to bags is a wash as you'll have to buy those parts either way.

LEEVON 12-28-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 5781996)
Excellent.... The info w/pics provided will help my buddy & his son make some educated decisions.

We've been discussing chassis options for his youngest boys truck. They were looking into the S10 chassis swap but it's debatable if there's that much benefit depending on 1) how much you get w/the donor truck; B) what kind of shape it's in; C) how much the donor costs. This led to discussions about what it would take to just utilize the OE frame w/an IFS front set-up & new rear suspension.

The key factor is the budget. 2 blossoming hot-rodders + their projects while trying to teach them to do as much as possible in the driveway.... We know the front will be pretty low but the rear was an unknown (Which would be required, the c-notch or step notch?). The pics/visual info should help them get an idea of how low they can go w/the typical frame c-notch.

Thanks for the help!

Awesome, glad to help and please let me know if you could use more pics or measurements. Here's how I arrived at the decision to use the original frame vs. S-10 conversion (and I was very close to going S-10). On the cost front, it is a higher initial investment to go with MII front end for sure, maybe about $2-3K, depending on rear end set-ups. I justified it considering the long term and re-sale value of the truck. It will attract more buyers and demand top dollar with a nice updated original chassis in my opinion. I plan to own it for awhile, and some day S-10 swaps might be a thing of the past. I also considered what route would be better if the patina thing gets old to me and I want to blow the truck apart and take it to the next level. Other cons for S-10 were the front track width being so narrow, limiting wheel choices or requiring spacers. On the flip side, S-10's are plentiful, the swap can be quick and inexpensive so if the goal is just to get on the road and have fun soon that's the perfect way to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 5782365)

Thanks about the patina!

LEEVON 12-28-2012 09:06 PM

Another dimension to the chassis question...if you have a nicer chassis where the parts are still serviceable and the kid would just be putting around town and to school then I wouldn't hesitate to go with a drop axle, disc brake conversion and drop leafs/blocks out back. If I was building this for my son and he was close to driving that's probably the way we'd go, considering time and money first (mostly time).

99 to Life 12-29-2012 01:01 PM

I've waived every option and plan to do all of them eventually. The narrow front track is such a minor issue. Wheel spacers are usually required in back and whats another $70 bucks for fronts, plus you have more control on your wheel tuck. The s-10 frame is way stronger, if you plan on having some serious horse power. I agree I'd rather sell a truck with a nice IFS and original frame, personally doing one of those. I've also weighed the drop axle and like the more old school route of lowering these. But for 400 plus on a a drop axle and disc brake conversion, all new kingpins etc etc. I quickly made my mind up on going with and IFS for that build, and the resale value would be better IMO. Either way the s-10 route is def cheaper and a quick way to get on the road. As far as bagging and s-10 there are just a lot of prefabbed and easy routes to do that, bagging is just not cheap regardless but the geometry and info on baggin s-10s are sooo plentiful, I feel it would be cheaper to do the s-10 as well.

I started a thread on dropped axles and not many people replied, so that is def a route that seems to not have many people on board.

stepside83 01-09-2013 12:35 AM

this is a cool truck, hope to seee more of it

focusedontheprize 01-09-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5782547)
Another dimension to the chassis question...if you have a nicer chassis where the parts are still serviceable and the kid would just be putting around town and to school then I wouldn't hesitate to go with a drop axle, disc brake conversion and drop leafs/blocks out back. If I was building this for my son and he was close to driving that's probably the way we'd go, considering time and money first (mostly time).

Really enjoying your build boss. Truck looks great. Excited to see when you get the dog house on.

@99tolife: As for the dropped axles, I believe there is more people doing it here on the board than you think. I know Coach and myself have gone that route and I have a few friends that also went that route that aren't on the board. In the end, if time is of the essence (which here in my case it was), the dropped axle was the easier route.

CHIZZLER 01-09-2013 06:15 PM

hey leevon truck is looking great.

Luther Grimace 01-13-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5300850)
Weld-on battery box:

Where did you get this battery box? Looks awesome. Great build by the way!

LEEVON 01-13-2013 08:09 PM

Thanks all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luther Grimace (Post 5815589)
Where did you get this battery box? Looks awesome. Great build by the way!

Got the box from Speedway, cheap. You can get weld-in or bolt-in versions and it comes with a hold down. Thanks!

Task Force Era 01-27-2013 02:11 AM

Stumbled across this thread somehow or another but I'm glad I did. This is such a awesome build. I bought those same wheels for my Apache and it's looking like they're gonna get some kind of paint sprayed on em before they go on the truck. Your's look sick!! Keep up the great work!

oldman3 02-08-2013 05:22 PM

Leevon, first let me say I love what your doing with your ride, super nice. I have been going over about 25 threads with the 5.3 swaps. My son and I are working on a 68 shortstep now and are going to put in a 5.3 with 4l60e with all the stock stuff. He also is working on a 52 AD for himself. I also have a 50 AD that's been on the road for about 9 yrs now. To make a long story short, I also see you are one of the guys going to the BBQ in March at Brads. So it is a small world, will see you there and will be glad to put a face with your thread....Jim

cubber 02-10-2013 11:22 PM

Saw this on your sig in another thread, and couldn't resist looking at a bagged '50. I like it!!