The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project '64 Cheapskate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=446527)

chevyrestoguy 07-21-2013 09:12 AM

Re: Project '64 Cheapskate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 6181798)
I dig your work kat!!

Thanks, Dino! I just like my stuff clean and subtle. A lot of the parts I've been putting on have a lot more work done to them then meets the eye, but that's the idea. It's fun to fool people into thinking that it's all factory stuff, when in reality, it's a conglomeration of parts from dozens of different vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6182219)
Aaaaack! Shiny parts! Looks good, putting things on!
Posted via Mobile Device

You're right, Chip. Putting things together for the last time is always a great feeling! I'm "Mr. Mockup", and I always wind up assembling everything dozens of times during the mock-up stage in order to get all the little bugs worked out, so when I finally get to the "Final Assembly" stage, I am one happy dude.

chevyrestoguy 08-24-2013 10:42 AM

It's been awhile since I posted. We're slammed at work right now, and it hasn't left me much free time. I did spend a little time getting the engine ready to drop in this weekend, so here it is, ready to drop into place. The trans is done, and they'll both go in together.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...psa3f2a5fb.jpg
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps98e9d715.jpg

It's not as "nostalgic" looking as I would have liked, but because I plan to drive this thing everywhere, I wanted an engine that made good horsepower, and that I could go to any parts store to get parts for. By my estimation, it should make between 360-380 horsepower.

BLOCK
1991 350 factory roller block (1-piece rear seal)
HEADS
Vortec heads, reworked the bowls and transition area, guides milled down for higher lift, 1.5 roller rockers, Comp springs
CAM
GM 846 hydraulic roller. .509/.528 lift, 222/230 duration @ .050, 112 lobe center. Advanced 4 degrees
INTAKE
Air-Gap
CARB
750 Holley vacuum secondary
HEADERS
Sanderson, Cerma-Kromed
ACCESSORY DRIVE
Stock 1992, brackets sandblasted and tumbled in a ceramic bead tumbler.

Low Elco 08-24-2013 11:57 AM

Looks great! Glad to see you among the living!
Posted via Mobile Device

likaroc13 08-24-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6236231)
It's been awhile since I posted. We're slammed at work right now, and it hasn't left me much free time. I did spend a little time getting the engine ready to drop in this weekend, so here it is, ready to drop into place. The trans is done, and they'll both go in together.

It's not as "nostalgic" looking as I would have liked, but because I plan to drive this thing everywhere, I wanted an engine that made good horsepower, and that I could to any parts store to get parts for. By my estimation, it should make between 360-380 horsepower.

Great looking engine! Has a good mix of modern & nostalgia IMO. Can't beat reliable drivability either. Look forward to seeing it in the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 08-24-2013 01:48 PM

Sweet!

Roadkill58 08-24-2013 09:29 PM

Nice looking motor!

Do you have a part number for the serpintine belt?

chevyrestoguy 08-25-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6236346)
Looks great! Glad to see you among the living!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, Chip. Work has had me down in the dumps lately, and hopefully seeing some progress on the '64 will get me feeling more "engaged". Today, we had to make a tough decision concerning the family dog (Pug, 13yrs old) who had been really sick, and even when you think you're prepared for it, you never are. He was my shadow 24/7, and I'm pretty torn up over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 6236438)
Great looking engine! Has a good mix of modern & nostalgia IMO. Can't beat reliable drivability either. Look forward to seeing it in the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! I share your comment. I really want to see this truck under it's own power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6236449)
Sweet!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill58 (Post 6236983)
Nice looking motor!

Do you have a part number for the serpintine belt?

Thanks! I don't have a part number because the belt that's currently on it is the old, original belt. I plan to get a new one and keep this belt under the seat as a spare, just in case.

Low Elco 08-25-2013 01:27 AM

Sorry to hear about your furry friend. Always best to end their suffering. Hope you feel better soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

rusty76 08-25-2013 10:18 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Our pets become our families. On another and happy note more updates. Killer looking motor man! I like updates. Keep'em coming.

earl84 08-25-2013 10:24 AM

Wow, sorry to hear about your dog. I have two pugs that are getting old, about 12 years old now, and I am not looking forward to losing them. They are really good dogs, except for their shedding, aaargh.

Bomp 08-25-2013 12:14 PM

I hear ya about work. My place of employment always has such unnecessary drama going on. They promoted the PITA foreman and we got a new foreman. :crazy:Imagine that. Life is still not grand.
Sorry about the loss of your shadow. Wifey and I been talking about our Vomit Dog and when the time comes for her. gonna be sad

Your motor is gonna look Freakin' gorgeous when you plop it in there.
Be sooooo nice to motor around under its own power.

Roadkill58 08-25-2013 02:15 PM

"Thanks! I don't have a part number because the belt that's currently on it is the old, original belt. I plan to get a new one and keep this belt under the seat as a spare, just in case."

Not a problem. If you think about it post the part number when you get a new belt.

Sorry to hear about your dog. We went through that last summer.

Jmorales3181 08-25-2013 06:15 PM

Wow, that motor looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

chevyrestoguy 08-25-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6237344)
Sorry to hear about your furry friend. Always best to end their suffering. Hope you feel better soon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6237612)
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Our pets become our families. On another and happy note more updates. Killer looking motor man! I like updates. Keep'em coming.

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl84 (Post 6237617)
Wow, sorry to hear about your dog. I have two pugs that are getting old, about 12 years old now, and I am not looking forward to losing them. They are really good dogs, except for their shedding, aaargh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6237747)
I hear ya about work. My place of employment always has such unnecessary drama going on. They promoted the PITA foreman and we got a new foreman. :crazy:Imagine that. Life is still not grand.
Sorry about the loss of your shadow. Wifey and I been talking about our Vomit Dog and when the time comes for her. gonna be sad

Your motor is gonna look Freakin' gorgeous when you plop it in there.
Be sooooo nice to motor around under its own power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill58 (Post 6237895)
"Thanks! I don't have a part number because the belt that's currently on it is the old, original belt. I plan to get a new one and keep this belt under the seat as a spare, just in case."

Not a problem. If you think about it post the part number when you get a new belt.

Sorry to hear about your dog. We went through that last summer.

Thanks, guys. Our Pug, Yoda, was 13. We've had Pugs (most all were rescues) for 25 years, and he was the best one we've ever had. Great disposition, not a mean bone in his body, never tore anything up, and was an absolute clown. That dog made me laugh every day. They are a great breed, and we'll get another, but right now we need to take a break from animals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 6238183)
Wow, that motor looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! It's funny, that engine's short block had been on an engine stand in my garage for the past 8 years. A couple of months ago, I decided to finish it. It was going to go into another project, but I had a change of plans, and the '64 became the perfect candidate. Honestly, I'm going to start building LS engines for all of my stuff coming up. Those things are amazing.

chevyrestoguy 08-25-2013 11:12 PM

Well, I don't have pictures to prove it, but the engine and transmission are installed. That was a big step, and it opens up a ton of stuff to do. The next step is to plumb the fuel lines, brake lines, and power steering hoses. After that, finish the bodywork and paint on the core support and the inner fenders and get them installed.

I'll post pictures soon. I chipped up the frame in a few spots during the install, so I need to get that handled before I take any glamour shots of the install.

A HUUUUGE thanks goes to Brad for helping me tag-team the install!!

kustombrad 08-26-2013 11:27 AM

Was kind of a strange weekend. Was awesome to finally get the motor and transmission in the truck but the dog deal kinda knocked the wind out of the whole thing! Was happy and sad for Alex at the same time!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jonboy 08-26-2013 11:51 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog, Alex. I know how that goes; we had to do the same for our Weim last year. Definitely heart wrenching, for sure. He is on the first page of your '55 build for posterity, looking young and fit if it makes you feel better.

Cool about the progress on the '64. Keep it up one step at a time and the whole thing will be done before you know it.

Low Elco 08-26-2013 11:59 AM

Hooray! Big chunk progress! Always a good feeling! Gotta hurry up so Speed Racer can get down to business!
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyDuncan 08-26-2013 12:25 PM

I thought this was your "go to Lowe's" parts chaser? lol

....it's gonna be nice when it's "done". Projects are only done for me when someone else drives them away and I get a new one. It would be hard for me to let that 55' sit unfinished much longer.

I bought a 63 parts chaser so I could get going on my 63 Nova convertible but it was too far gone to ever be nice. So I bought a 62 GMC that might be too original to be a parts chaser...:gmc2:

...dunno when I'm ever gonna start on the Nova now that I have 2 different truck projects:lol:

I saw your pug a few times in the 55 build thread. Always sad to lose a pet.

chevyrestoguy 08-26-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 6239302)
Sorry to hear about your dog, Alex. I know how that goes; we had to do the same for our Weim last year. Definitely heart wrenching, for sure. He is on the first page of your '55 build for posterity, looking young and fit if it makes you feel better.

Cool about the progress on the '64. Keep it up one step at a time and the whole thing will be done before you know it.

I forgot that 'ol Yoda was in the '55 thread. He had an uncanny way of jumping in front of the camera when you were taking pictures. He was a real clown.

Yeah, the '64 is finally starting to come together under the hood. The drivetrain is the last "big" hurdle to clear, and after that, it's just a bunch of little stuff. It's getting there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyDuncan (Post 6239342)
I thought this was your "go to Lowe's" parts chaser? lol

....it's gonna be nice when it's "done". Projects are only done for me when someone else drives them away and I get a new one. It would be hard for me to let that 55' sit unfinished much longer.

I bought a 63 parts chaser so I could get going on my 63 Nova convertible but it was too far gone to ever be nice. So I bought a 62 GMC that might be too original to be a parts chaser...:gmc2:

...dunno when I'm ever gonna start on the Nova now that I have 2 different truck projects:lol:

I saw your pug a few times in the 55 build thread. Always sad to lose a pet.

Well, it's still going to be my "Lowes/Home Depot/Hot Rod Parts Chaser", but I want to show up in style. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but when the mechanical stuff is all done, there's some stuff planned for the outside that I think you guys will really like.
And I promise, when the '64 gets done, I'll be back on the '55.

rusty76 08-26-2013 04:36 PM

Awesome!

eldogg 08-30-2013 05:43 AM

Looks great and I don't know how I missed that cam in the catalog. Sounds like it will be a great combo. Sorry about your dog. With no kids, my great dane is my daughter.

Captainfab 08-31-2013 01:18 AM

I'm a little late....sorry to hear about your dog. It's definitely not an easy thing for us dog lovers. We had to deal with that in '08, and we've got another dog that could get to that point any time......not looking forward to that. I just keep hoping he passes in his sleep one night.

On a more positive note, that engine is looking good. I'm curious to hear what that cam sounds like in a 355.

TommyDuncan 08-31-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy (Post 6239664)
Well, it's still going to be my "Lowes/Home Depot/Hot Rod Parts Chaser", but I want to show up in style. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but when the mechanical stuff is all done, there's some stuff planned for the outside that I think you guys will really like.
And I promise, when the '64 gets done, I'll be back on the '55.

I like your style...

I know sometimes it's best to step away from it for a while until the inspiration returns. Judging by what you've already done to the 55 and the effort you are putting into this truck it's gonna be pretty awesome!:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

chevyrestoguy 09-01-2013 10:54 AM

Well, Thank You Tommy!
I have to admit that I can sometimes have "Hot Rod A.D.D." I'll go like gangbusters on a project until I hit a snag and then I'll bounce off and attack another project. This '64 has been a real test of that, but I have made a promise to myself that I cannot start anything else until this one is done and on the road. At times, I feel like a dog in the "stay" position with a Scooby Snack resting on my nose, and I want that treat SO bad. I go to shows and my mind starts going wild, and the next thing I know, I'm on Craigslist looking for a certain car. I used to be really bad, but I've gotten better as I've gotten older. At one time, I was the King of Half-Finished Projects. I sold some killer projects, and sad to say, many of them at a substantial loss.

One of these days, I will finally get around to restoring the one car that I've owned the longest. I bought a '71 Camaro RS back in '87, and it's been dry-docked since '89. Numbers matching (everything) from front to back, and it was the 3rd Camaro off the assembly line in the 2nd week of August in Van Nuys, California. Quite possibly the 1st RS Camaro built in 1971. It will get a nut and bolt rotisserie restoration, all the way down to the torque stripe paint and grease pencil marks. That project is going to be a blast.