The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today part III (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644788)

LVPhotos 03-03-2015 09:04 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today part III

3 Attachment(s)
Fab electric fan brackets round two. Worked but not the way I planned. Wanted to hide radiator tabs under u-chanel, no dice, so outside it is. Can do better with new material now that I have a good solid piece in place.
Flex-a-lite Black Magic #188 w/o controller or #180 with. 3300 cfm

Grizz1963 03-04-2015 07:00 PM

The G is where this started......

Look for the G Spot.

Look for Gillingham, the look at the top of the capital G and that is approximately where we live........

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pscqicvws6.jpg

Over the weekend I looked out for a set of Chevy Rallye wheels in 6 stud, 15" flavour at the NSRA Swapmeet. NO LUCK.

I had been keeping an eye open the last year or so on Evilbay and various forums, in case a full set came up for sale.

So in a fit of desperation I posted a "Wanted" ad on Rods n Sods last night, amazingly I got a PM soon after from a member, offering a full set with chrome trim rings and centre caps, was I interested??

Two emails, loads of photos later I went to bed after a price was offered.

This morning I had spoken to 4 different people and emailed a couple in the USA to get an idea of price, called the seller and agreed to his full price.

By 11.30 I had spoken to my boss and signed a half day leave, then left from Romford the Blue Dot on the map, where I was working to go down to Clacton on Sea, the Red Dot to collect the wheels.

By the time I got there, I was greeted by Gary, a long term rodder and super nice guy, and this.....

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswwimaeor.jpg

An hour chatting, cuppa tea and Gary helping me (well he did most of the loading) get them in the back of the car, and and I was on my way.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psaviqf22t.jpg

Back home, time to be pleased with my purchase and figure out how to explain to Nicola why I needed another set of wheels, and now need another new set of tyres when I can afford it. The narrow white walls from the chrome smoothies are doing onto the Rallyes and the chrome smoothies will be getting some 3" white walls.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psmn2hsces.jpg

One of them close up.

The tyres that are coming off are almost new, but only good for rolling projects around on or building an organic garden in, but will be going up for sale as soon as I get them off.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pscsshogrc.jpg

I guess the last thing to mention is that when Nicola came in, I sat her down and had a long discussion with her.... Well it went something like "I may have spent some money" and her reply was "Does it have wheels?" To which my reply was obviously "Who told you? Martin?" So she just reminded me that we needed to buy a lottery ticket on Friday evening.

Joe Pass 03-04-2015 08:01 PM

Better get that lotto ticket,....She's a keeper

jeff dunn 03-05-2015 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Test fit my new race line wheels

jeff dunn 03-05-2015 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic

mikesC10 03-05-2015 11:22 PM

Nice choice Jeff! What are the specs like wheels size and backspacing? Which rear diff are you running? Any help would be great as I'm trying to get some wheel ideas for my build. Thanks.

jeff dunn 03-05-2015 11:40 PM

they are 20 x 10.5 with 5.125 back spacing, fender wells are stock and tubs are to.
295/40/20 nexens on rear
275/40/20 nexans front 9 inch x 20 4.250 bs

Grizz1963 03-06-2015 06:02 PM

Took the trims, centre caps off the wheels tonight.

Mate Jabbo will be collecting them all at 05.30 tomorrow morning, removing the tyres and disposing of them for me by lunch time, delivering the naked wheels later in the week on his way to work.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pspusfrvll.jpg

Martin, always being helpful has suggested I get the wheels blasted and powder coated at £50.00 wheel, including fitting new tyres (well, the ones of the chrome smoothies)

Will check out if the price is sensible first before jumping at the opportunity.

With Paul Y over next weekend to sandblast (well, walnut shells) all his suspension parts etc, Martin and I assembled the blasting cabinet I bought the end of last year, this week.

Word of warning, it was bought from a large importer who supplies others and just adds their badging, but when we unpacked it, most of the paint had blistered, so if you scratch or push on the paint, it flakes off badly.
I just could not be bothered with exchanging it as it would probably mean taking time off to get the new unit delivered and this one collected.

Still, it is ready to work.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psxbc4h4hu.jpg

revjames 03-06-2015 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made my own floor pan piece. It turned out good. I made it out of 18gauge sheet

TJ's Chevy 03-06-2015 11:24 PM

Bought another truck today! :metal:

Lugnutz65 03-06-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7079401)
Bought another truck today! :metal:

As the saying goes . . . "without pictures . . . it never happened!" Let's see what you bought!

:wop:

TJ's Chevy 03-06-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7079405)
As the saying goes . . . "without pictures . . . it never happened!" Let's see what you bought!

:wop:

Pictures tomorrow when I get it home! :metal:

bcontractor 03-07-2015 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evoracer (Post 7074349)
This...

great welds bro !!nice work...

Lugnutz65 03-07-2015 11:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This is only one of several repairs I did today on my original PS door. New door skin will go on in April. I had to patch damage made at the upper window frame from where a mirror bracket had been.

pimpston65 03-08-2015 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7080671)
This is only one of several repairs I did today on my original PS door. New door skin will go on in April. I had to patch damage made at the upper window frame from where a mirror bracket had been.

like it never happen'd, nice work !!!

pimpston65 03-08-2015 02:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7080845)
like it never happen'd, nice work !!!

prep' these parts. top row will be clear coated to save the original cast iron look, bottom row will be painted shiny black and then clear coated. used my electrolysis tank to remove all traces of rust, wire wheel'd them, soap and water, more wire wheel, them grease and wax remover. painting bright and early...

pimpston65 03-08-2015 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
parts i already painted, just need to rebuild the starter and alt, all NOS parts of course. just need to prep the carb, oil bath air cleaner and ac bracket, paint the block and head, then... break out the torque wrench!!!

Grizz1963 03-08-2015 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7080850)
parts i already painted, just need to rebuild the starter and alt, all NOS parts of course. just need to prep the carb, oil bath air cleaner and ac bracket, paint the block and head, then... break out the torque wrench!!!

Moving on fast buddy !!

My wheels are now naked and ready for Powder coating, thanks to another friend, Scot removing the old tyres.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psr53lt4wh.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps23v6lcuc.jpg

Lugnutz65 03-08-2015 08:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7080848)
prep' these parts. top row will be clear coated to save the original cast iron look, bottom row will be painted shiny black and then clear coated. used my electrolysis tank to remove all traces of rust, wire wheel'd them, soap and water, more wire wheel, them grease and wax remover. painting bright and early...

Your manifold will eventually show rust from the repeated intense heat and cooling. A product call Calyx can help it keep that cast iron look. It's a cream that's designed for the very purpose of making a manifold look new. It is not affected by heat. Easy to apply and only requires a touch up now and then. If I were to guess what the cream is made from, I'd say it's some sort of non-flammable cream with graphite powder in it. Anyway, here are my un-painted manifolds. You can see in the 4th photo that it needs a little touchup. The 3rd photo has Calyx applied on the left half compared to the bare cleaned cast iron on the right half.

rudyyloverboiii 03-08-2015 12:06 PM

Pimpston65 that looks beautiful! What size is thr inline six?

pimpston65 03-08-2015 12:17 PM

Lugnutz65, cool product. i painted my exhaust with 2000degree high temp clear. im sure it will break down over time. i just wanted to try something different. i would try it on my cast parts, maybe next build???

pimpston65 03-08-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyyloverboiii (Post 7081081)
Pimpston65 that looks beautiful! What size is thr inline six?

292, should have gone 250 then i would't need to move the motor mount and per GM of canada thats what came in there, should have done my homework!!! oh well, im happy with it...

rudyyloverboiii 03-08-2015 12:26 PM

I also have a 292 on my 64. I would like to clean it out and regasket everything n paint it also. It looks good man.

pimpston65 03-08-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyyloverboiii (Post 7081104)
I also have a 292 on my 64. I would like to clean it out and regasket everything n paint it also. It looks good man.

thks, i bought the 292 for $100. had it totally redone new head,piston over bore, the works. all before i got the suburban, it was stuck in canada dealing with customs crap. all i knew was it had a pontiac 283, that wasnt original. so i research'd and 292 kept coming up as the engine to have so thats what i went with, now since my build is here and an NOS beast i would have saw the mounts and got a 250, also in canada gm has a place you can get info on older vehicles so i got that info and sure enough my burban came with a 250, oh well... do you have a build thread?

Grizz1963 03-08-2015 02:07 PM

Paint on the frame dried, I mounted the blasting cabinet on it this morning and grinned when I pushed it outside.

Easy easy.......

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pstdoujoix.jpg

Mate Martin was going to come and supervise the primer and masking up of the screen frame.

Of course nothing goes to plan.

So, the spot blaster for the small rust sports did not quite do the job getting into all the crevices.

Martin's ongoing insistence (read badgering) that I could not paint rust, eventually meant we agreed to stop wasting time and I will get his blasting pot this week, and do the rust everywhere on the cab before prep, filler, etc.

So to his great joy, I agreed to remove the doors..... It really made me feel like there is no going back, but of course it makes sense as the glass in the doors will not do well with random blast media hitting it.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psosrjaiwm.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pspm8lw0uv.jpg

After Martin left, I tidied up and removed the bench seat as well.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psbgk0lbfx.jpg

Now things will have to start happening, looking at all the other projects around me progress, this job will not do itself.

Lottery win anyone??

rudyyloverboiii 03-08-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpston65 (Post 7081154)
thks, i bought the 292 for $100. had it totally redone new head,piston over bore, the works. all before i got the suburban, it was stuck in canada dealing with customs crap. all i knew was it had a pontiac 283, that wasnt original. so i research'd and 292 kept coming up as the engine to have so thats what i went with, now since my build is here and an NOS beast i would have saw the mounts and got a 250, also in canada gm has a place you can get info on older vehicles so i got that info and sure enough my burban came with a 250, oh well... do you have a build thread?

Not yet sir. Ive done a lot to mine though. I have pictures. I started putting pictures up on a different blog to remember maybe i'll post them here as soon as i figure out how tp put em up wit ma phone.

TJ's Chevy 03-08-2015 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked on my new 64 a bit. New tires(not shown in pic) and had a set of plug wires layin around that I put on, also found out that wires 4 and 6 were crossed so fixed that and the thing runs like new. Also found some blow by through the oil fill hole. Not a blown head gasket to my knowledge( no bubbling water) so looks like I might have a bad valve guide. Compression test in the making. Ah well, runs super good though. :gmc2:

Palf70Step 03-08-2015 08:12 PM

Like the 4-eyed look TJ!

pimpston65 03-08-2015 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
20 BAGs of nuts,bolts and washer. that what it takes to attach everything to my 292. im sure there are some stray bits. now off to have black phosphate coated!!!

pimpston65 03-08-2015 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cant wait to get this butte dirty, grand canyon or bust roadtrip!!!

Turtleman 03-08-2015 11:20 PM

Coming to Arizona Pimpston65?

TJ's Chevy 03-08-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 7081598)
Like the 4-eyed look TJ!

Thanks man! lol I got a 3 stooges crew now! :gmc2: :chevy:

Grizz1963 03-14-2015 05:24 PM

Not much........

Just a quickly tonight.

After lunch time, Martin came over to change the drivers door glass in the MX5 for me, took him a total of 18 minutes to remove the donor glass and fit it, and close up the cars door. WTF?? Talent or what.

Then I had planned to remove the towbar and paint it all, despite knowing it was far from right as it was mal-aligned and to pack it away before starting the blasting as I have done nothing with it the last couple of weeks.

Martin again forced me via my own vanity and realisation that geometry was not my friend to take the whole lot apart and redesign it all.

Then to cut, grind, fit and tack it all together.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...ps8txqivlm.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...pswpw4ijyj.jpg

Tacked the corners, then disassembled and started to weld it all up.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psooocrnab.jpg

At this point the welded decided to go to sleep, so I shut shop and came indoors.

Tomorrow we continue.

Looking forward to wrapping up this bloody towbar and getting on with other stuff.

Lugnutz65 03-14-2015 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finished stripping the DS inner door shell. Still need to weld the new bottom into place after a do a little media blasting. This was hard work. Polycarbide disc on a grinder for the flat surfaces and a drill with a wire wheel for the tight areas. Now it shines like a piece of tin foil.
I also installed a Jeep Cherokee door check on my PS door. Now the door opens with 2 detents. It's a nice easy bolt on upgrade. :metal:

Joemomma1 03-14-2015 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 (Post 7090515)
I finished stripping the DS inner door shell. Still need to weld the new bottom into place after a do a little media blasting. This was hard work. Polycarbide disc on a grinder for the flat surfaces and a drill with a wire wheel for the tight areas. Now it shines like a piece of tin foil.
I also installed a Jeep Cherokee door check on my PS door. Now the door opens with 2 detents. It's a nice easy bolt on upgrade. :metal:

I got the same door checks that i pulled from the jeeps but I've seen a different version with rubber mentioned on other posts. Do you know anything about those things?

revjames 03-14-2015 10:35 PM

What year jeep
Cherokee

pimpston65 03-15-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleman (Post 7081943)
Coming to Arizona Pimpston65?

yup this summer

mattbert56 03-15-2015 01:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hung out with my buddy who I have been trying to get on this forum site. He's got the 51. And helped him pull the 55 out of the field with my little toyota so we can start Swapping on the painted body parts. Also got a full size spare and matching rim for 20 bucks. Picked up new front lift springs for the truck and a set of Y Pipes for the truck. For 10. Super stoked about Those.

canadian_diesel1964 03-15-2015 07:34 AM

New Interstate battery, 1 wire Alternator, Belt and Battery ground...she startts real good now

Lugnutz65 03-15-2015 08:04 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by revjames (Post 7090749)
What year jeep Cherokee

This link about the Cherokee door check says 1984-2001, but only Cherokee, not Grand Cherokee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 7090739)
I got the same door checks that i pulled from the jeeps but I've seen a different version with rubber mentioned on other posts. Do you know anything about those things?

The link mentioned shows the version with the rubber stop, like you have. I bought a pair of those too but decided to go with the set without the rubber stop. If the rubber stop part gets rotten, then it can fall off and that will allow the door to open TOO FAR, which is the same problem the factory door check has. When the door opens too far, then you get a dent in your door from the rear edge of the front fender.

The version I chose to use is all metal, so no rubber stop to dry up and crumble. However, it could still fail from metal fatigue. If I only had the rubber stop kind, I'd still use them if the rubber was in good shape.

Here are some links about the Cherokee door checks.

FAQ Link

Van Pershing Main Idea Page Link