The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

Bomp 02-09-2017 10:36 PM

Re: pdx-sanity66

Wow and congrats on your epic trip.
Envious as all get out about your new place down in AZ.
Glad to see the update.

Oregon 1967 GMC 02-10-2017 06:11 AM

I was wondering what happened to you, glad you're back! Sounds like a great plan and I'm jealous as hell. Safe travels.

clemdaddy 02-10-2017 08:07 AM

Welcome back… wow, has it really been 2 years? Time do fly…
Sounds like a great plan, establish a base and branch out your travels from there. Rock-on Bro...

Average Joe 02-11-2017 01:38 PM

Good for you!!!

I love hearing stories like this. Gives me hope for my own retirement some day.

pdxhall 02-23-2018 03:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Wow! It's been a year since my last post.I first want to apologize to you guys that responded to my last thread that I didn't answer back. Let me explain a few of the hurdles of the last year. As I said before, we now reside in Tucson. We moved in to our home the 1st of March with the things we had in the camper. The previous owners left a dinette, a couch and some other stuff. We bought a mattress set to sleep on and we were temporarily set for the time.
I immediately began shopping for a shop to have built. I decided on a 30' by 30' steel building. Permits were going to take a while so we decided to go to Portland and move our stuff back to Tucson.
We blasted up to Portland emptied the storage into a rented moving truck and made arrangements to have Sanity shipped.
I drove the truck and camper and Joanne drove the moving truck. It was a boring long drive but with no incidents.
The 2 of us got the truck unloaded and the shipper got Sanity delivered and in to the carport temporarily.
I had a lot of delays in getting permits from the county for the shop so we were waiting to leave to go back north before the monsoon season.
Finally the shop was finished. I got Sanity put away and all of my shop equipment locked up tight and we were ready to head north to Portland for the summer.
We got back to Tucson the end of September. I started unpacking and finding places for all of my equipment ,tools ,and truck parts.
It has taken me a while to reacquaint myself with everything. I am really glad that I've taken pictures and made progress notes along the way.
I've got the shop wired with more outlets and power than I'll ever use.
The compressor is up and running and I've got my bead blaster set up.
I've been working on Sanity. Update tomorrow.

Oregon 1967 GMC 02-23-2018 07:33 AM

Right on dude~~! Glad to see you're settling down after all the moving around. Best of luck and please stay in touch. :mm:

rusty76 02-23-2018 05:16 PM

Glad to have you back.

Bomp 02-24-2018 01:24 PM

Glad to see Sanity has a 30'x30' place to live.

Waiting intently for updates.

pdxhall 02-25-2018 02:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks you guys. I've been working hard for the last few weeks on getting the engine ready to attempt starting. If you look back in the thread, you'll see how long I've been waiting. I'll be honest, I was worried. But I've been very careful to keep it sealed up and there are 0 signs of corrosion.
I have finished up the trans cooling lines, the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor, permanently installed the radiator and trans cooler and connected all hoses, checked the distributor,plugs,and wires, and wired the starter, dist., and ignition temporarily for first firing
I have also modified the stock gas pedal/throttle arm to position the pedal assembly so it will go to full throttle when floored, which is imperative when setting up the TV system on the 700r4 trans.
I bought and installed new pwr steering hoses, filled the pump and bled the gear.
All needed fluids have been added.
I bought and installed a new serpentine belt.
I bought a new battery.
So I'm pretty sure it's ready.
Tomorrow is the day.
Here are a few pics during the process

Jferrante 02-25-2018 10:51 AM

living the life keep it up!!!

tune_1 02-26-2018 07:52 PM

Good to see you back. How did the startup go?

Dwight

pdxhall 03-03-2018 04:24 AM

Well I'd like to say that I was able to be just like the guys on TV and Sanity fired on the first try, but you know as well as I do that it just doesn't happen that way. The first battery I tried was too far gone to give me enough cranking power to turn the engine over enough to get the fuel pump to get gas to the carb. Okay, I get a new battery. Now the engine is cranking and I'm getting fuel (positive note: only one small drip of a leak in one connection that just needed a little more wrenching.
Next I check all electrical and make sure I have spark. all is OK.
Here we go again. acts like she wants to start but just getting a couple of pops and sputters. Messing with the dist. doesn't help.
It appears that the dist. must be off a gear or so.
So I find cylinder 1 compression stroke and the timing is way off. Pulled and reset it correctly.
Trying again.
SANITY LIVES
https://youtu.be/llYXbJP62m0

northern 85 03-03-2018 07:31 AM

Awesome ,what a feeling when they fire up!!!!!!!!

bj383ss 03-03-2018 07:31 AM

Awesome thanks for the update. Truck is looking good. Missed following along on your adventures.

Bret

Bomp 03-03-2018 03:21 PM

Sounds great

Captainfab 03-04-2018 12:20 AM

Hopefully you already ran the cam breakin before you made that video.

pdxhall 03-07-2018 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northern 85 (Post 8202072)
Awesome ,what a feeling when they fire up!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I'm still doing my happy dance.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 8202073)
Awesome thanks for the update. Truck is looking good. Missed following along on your adventures.

Bret

I've been just itching to get back to work and I'm motivated.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 8202311)
Sounds great

Thanks Greg. put that sewing machine down and get to work on Steiner.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8202638)
Hopefully you already ran the cam breakin before you made that video.

Hi Cap, thanks for looking in. This video was mimicking TV. They always fire on the first time but rest assured all procedures were followed previously.

pdxhall 03-07-2018 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm switching gears right now. Before going much further with the engine I need to do a couple of other projects first. I need to start thinking seriously about the exhaust and I need to finish painting under the dash area and the inner firewall area. I am not using a firewall pad so I'm working on an alternative. I also want to get the dashboard painted. This way I can get the fuse panel and gauge cluster installed and finish the engine wiring.
I have roughed up the under dash area with some scotch brite, which has been media blasted and epoxy primed before storage. I pulled the seats and the steering column back out and cleaned things up a bit.

pdxhall 04-03-2018 04:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So my solution to the inner firewall was I found some spray sound insulation from Boom Mat that I used on the upper firewall above the carpet line. Then I sprayed the entire inner firewall, the kick panels, the floor, and halfway up the rear of the cab with Lizard Skin heat insulation. I should have enough to do the doors when ready. The dash has been sanded and primed a couple of times and is about ready to paint. I've got all the other dash, steering column, and other stuff ready to start assembly.

Duncan K 04-03-2018 12:05 PM

That looks fantastic!! I think I might just have to do the same to mine.

bj383ss 04-03-2018 09:18 PM

That looks really good. Great idea on the Lizard Skin.

Bret

pdxhall 04-08-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan K (Post 8228941)
That looks fantastic!! I think I might just have to do the same to mine.

Thanks for looking in. I did a ton of research on the Lizardskin and I'm very pleased with the results so far. I just checked out your build. You have done some very nice work in a short time. Very Nice.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 8229334)
That looks really good. Great idea on the Lizard Skin.

Bret

Thanks, Bret, it seems to be very durable.

I painted the dash yesterday and sprayed some epoxy primer on some small parts that I bead blasted.

pdxhall 04-17-2018 01:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday I started putting things back together under the dash. I got the brake pedal mounted, made a mount for the fuse box and got that installed, and started sorting through the wire harnesses and stuff. Let the fun begin.

I'm using the American Autowire classic update wiring and it comes with a pretty good mount for the fuse box but it didn't leave enough room to mount my Dakota digital fan controller that I wanted to have next to it. I had a piece of aluminum so I made a new one.

pdxhall 07-17-2018 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted for a while because Joanne and I are off on another adventure.
We were starting to get ready for our summer migration to the NW when we got word that my mom died. She was 89 and was able to live in her own home. She died peacefully.
So we headed up to Utah ahead of schedule. We've spent the time up until now in Oregon.
We plan on returning home the 1st of August and making it home in a couple of weeks. Then it's back to wiring, exhaust.
Also, I'll be looking for a good, reasonably priced upholster to finally get my bucket seats upholstered.

Captainfab 07-17-2018 11:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your Mom.......

Bomp 07-20-2018 04:32 PM

Sorry about your mom passing.
Upolstery,,,, ah,,,, now who needs a sewing machine:haha:

pdxhall 07-22-2018 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8303382)
Sorry to hear about your Mom.......

Thanks, I'm ready to get back home.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 8305289)
Sorry about your mom passing.
Upolstery,,,, ah,,,, now who needs a sewing machine:haha:

Thanks Greg, when I posted my seats I thought I might hear from you.touché
By the way, how's the sewing going?

clemdaddy 07-26-2018 05:14 PM

Sorry about your loss... thankful she passed peacefully, we could all be so lucky. My mom and dad are both gone for over 15 years now and I still miss them. Shows the level of love for family...

Nothing but good thoughts going out to you. Sanity is a patient girl, she'll be there.

rusty76 07-26-2018 06:14 PM

Sorry to hear about your mom.

pdxhall 07-31-2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 8309508)
Sorry about your loss... thankful she passed peacefully, we could all be so lucky. My mom and dad are both gone for over 15 years now and I still miss them. Shows the level of love for family...

Nothing but good thoughts going out to you. Sanity is a patient girl, she'll be there.

Thanks Clem, yeah, I'm going to miss her. We were close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8309534)
Sorry to hear about your mom.

Thanks Rusty.

pdxhall 09-13-2018 03:19 PM

Well, we got back to Tucson in the middle of August and the monsoon season. The heat and humidity have been so high the work on Sanity has been slow. This past couple of weeks, though, the humidity has dropped but we're still in triple digits temp wise. At least I have been able to get stuff done early in the day. I have started running wires in the engine bay. First is the firewall plug mated to the interior matching plug. 6 prong that has wires for oil pressure and temp gauges, alternator, dist. power and tach gauge, and one unused wire for old style alternator [not used]. These have been routed and cut to length. Today I will attach connectors and permanently hook them up. I also cut a piece of 3/8" aluminum tubing to run some of wiring along the intake manifold. I'm hoping to get a couple of brackets fabricated. to attach it. I have no intention of hiding wires, just creating a neat and clean look, More pics of this tomorrow.
I am ready to finish Sanity's inner fenders and get them mounted. They have been blasted and epoxy primed for many moons. I pulled them out, cleaned them off. I then scuffed up the primer on the back sides of both They will be getting coated with U-pol bed liner like the underside of the cab.
I am also going to coat the cab floor from the seat hump to the back and up the back to the divider. The front floor and toe board will be carpeted

pdxhall 09-13-2018 03:24 PM

For some unknown reason posting pics is not working right now.

pdxhall 09-20-2018 01:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well it finally cooled down a bit the last couple of days so I got out to the shop and got some things done. It's still too humid to paint but here are some pics.
The rear floor area and inner fenders are ready for U-lol bed liner. I'm carpeting the floor back to the seat riders and then the rest will be bed liner.
I've got the wiring done for the distributor, alternator, and the gauge senders.
I bought my new air cleaner and just had to try it on.
I'll be working on wiring up my cooling fans and controller today.

pdxhall 10-23-2018 03:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We took a 2 wk. vacation and when I returned I got a call that my seats were finished at the upholster. I ran over and picked them up. Now, if you've followed my build from the past, you'll know the story. If not, I invite you to look back on my build thread to posts #62, #266, and #321 for more on building these. Yes, that's 5 years ago. Maybe these are what Chevy truck buckets could have looked like if they were offered for our trucks.
I love the upholstery and the quality of work. I took the advice from several sources and went to Poncho's Upholstery here in Tucson. I highly recommend them. 1st class work.

tune_1 10-23-2018 06:29 PM

Seats look great

Dwight

pdxhall 10-23-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tune_1 (Post 8370351)
Seats look great

Dwight

Thanks.

aggie91 10-24-2018 10:10 AM

Those turned out great!

bigmoe 11-04-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6858245)
I realized today that in order to proceed I need to be able to move the truck a little easier than how it is in its current condition which is no steering control.
Well, I had the manual gear on and connected to the drag link but I had no steering wheel to get the wheels going where I needed them to go to get Sanity in and out of the garage as needed. I had all the parts needed to get going: Power steering gear all cleaned up and painted, Capt. Fab's adapter plate, new Moog idler arm, etc., etc. First I swapped out the idler arm, I drove over to O'Reilly's and borrowed one of their pitman are pullers. They're less than a mile away and I think it's great when you need that one tool that you might not need that often.
Today I used the template with Capt.'s kit and got the holed aligned and drilled in the frame. You've got a real nice kit Capt. If anyone reading this thread needs one of these for your truck I highly recommend it. I shot a little paint in the drilled holes to aid in rust prevention, and painted the adapter plate with some Eastwood's extreme chassis black, what I've used on most of the chassis parts I've painted black. Saturday, it will be ready to assemble.
I also need to start getting my Camaro tilt column mocked up and the first step is I need to get the bracket that holds the peddle assemblies and the steering column to the underside of the dash.
I had already removed the clutch peddle assembly, so I disassembled the brake peddle components, cleaned the parts with some mineral spirits and then bead blasted them. That blaster is the best toy I've got. It just saves me tones of time. They are now ready for some epoxy primer and then the bracket will be installed under the dash so I can start mocking up the column.
All the parts are in very nice condition and will be reused or modified to be used.

What power steering box did you use?

pdxhall 11-05-2018 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8370701)
Those turned out great!

Thanks, I'm extremely happy with the craftsmanship. Quality work.

pdxhall 11-05-2018 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmoe (Post 8377783)
What power steering box did you use?

It's out of a '78 Chev truck.