The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

shortbed70 02-22-2012 12:22 AM

Re: MY build thread...

I'm going LS some day... I'm waiting to hear about one this week so fingers crossed...Btw I never did hear a sound clip of your motor!!
Posted via Mobile Device

fryco 02-22-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5204457)
I'm going LS some day... I'm waiting to hear about one this week so fingers crossed...Btw I never did hear a sound clip of your motor!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll get you a sound clip, just have to swap out line lock switches. Then I'll make you a proper sound track. Won't be be until mid-April though, sounds like winter is going to give it another try Sunday into Monday. I ran out of time last fall weather wise...

shortbed70 02-25-2012 11:45 PM

Well I have a motor issue now for some reason!!!! No oil on the passenger side rockers!!! Time to pull the dizzy and buy a priming tool and hope that the lifters just bleed off. Don't know how it would be on one side only but who knows. How frustrating!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 02-26-2012 12:59 PM

My worst nightmare. That sucks.

shortbed70 02-26-2012 03:41 PM

Less than an hours run time on the motor with the new heads. Cam is old...
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 02-26-2012 03:52 PM

That's really odd.

daverod 02-27-2012 10:59 AM

Old cam new lifters? Hope it's not too bad. Last weekend I torn the end off the crank on my snowmachine ...if that helps.

shortbed70 02-27-2012 04:51 PM

Old cam and old lifters. Been ran for years now after the head swap now the issue. Im so damn frustrated now that I am really loosing intrest on it! Maybe it will be something simple but I'm not real confident.
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 02-27-2012 06:30 PM

Ya my sled thing was simple. PTO in one hand engine in the other.:lol: Maybe your thing will be better.

protrash64 02-27-2012 10:08 PM

That sucks Troy....hope it's not too serious. When you go from pre-86 heads to Vortecs, do you use different pushrods or are they the same?

shortbed70 02-27-2012 10:55 PM

Well guys I'm back on track!!! KISS factor...

Long story short; distributor pad is 1/8" taller than stock,old gasket stuck on distributor (I install new one without checking) and not completely tightening dizzy down.... BOOM got oil to all rockers on both sides... Back in business!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 02-27-2012 11:20 PM

How complicated is it to put in a windshield? I need to get mine in ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device

protrash64 02-28-2012 12:01 AM

I've done all the windows except the windshield, but seen one done. Put gasket on glass, lay glass against opening with a rope in the channel, and pull rope into vehicle while pressing on glass from outside. You can lube with Windex. Cuss and repeat as neccessary!!:lol:

Alan's Classic 02-28-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5217321)
Well guys I'm back on track!!! KISS factor...

Long story short; distributor pad is 1/8" taller than stock,old gasket stuck on distributor (I install new one without checking) and not completely tightening dizzy down.... BOOM got oil to all rockers on both sides... Back in business!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you figured it out!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 5217559)
I've done all the windows except the windshield, but seen one done. Put gasket on glass, lay glass against opening with a rope in the channel, and pull rope into vehicle while pressing on glass from outside. You can lube with Windex. Cuss and repeat as neccessary!!:lol:

:agree: My windshield was easier than the back glass. I thought it would be the other way around.

shortbed70 02-28-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 5217559)

I did alot of that on the rear window LOL!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5217611)
Glad you figured it out!!

:agree: My windshield was easier than the back glass. I thought it would be the other way around.

I'm also glad it was simple....think I'm gonna give the glass a shot...
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 02-29-2012 10:45 PM

Well windshield is in and it's not as easy as it looks... But one more think off the list...Wish I could post pics
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 02-29-2012 10:49 PM

:metal:

shortbed70 03-01-2012 12:53 AM

If I could get someone to run my phone I would get a driving video this weekend hopefully...
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 03-01-2012 11:08 AM

Don't you have any of those "Will work for food" people around there. Your making me want to order a new rubber seal for my windshield.

shortbed70 03-01-2012 09:25 PM

Well guys took it for its longest drive since its been togather about 2 miles and wow!!! What a blast. People were in awe as I passed them...
Posted via Mobile Device

fryco 03-01-2012 11:34 PM

Good to hear you got it straightened out. Isn't it crazy how a little ride makes a few hundred hours of work seem less work like!!!! :devil:

What did you come up with for paint scream? I know know you were kicking around a few ideas...

We just got a foot of snow yesterday, taking mine out is a month or two away.

shortbed70 03-02-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryco (Post 5224189)
Good to hear you got it straightened out. Isn't it crazy how a little ride makes a few hundred hours of work seem less work like!!!! :devil:

What did you come up with for paint scream? I know know you were kicking around a few ideas...

We just got a foot of snow yesterday, taking mine out is a month or two away.

Well it's going to stay satin black for a while. Gonna drive it and get the kinks out of it then maybe paint next winter if I'm still employed! The drive was absolutely worth all the work and it takes something like that to really relight the flame to work on it..
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 03-02-2012 05:39 PM

I bet... nothing like a 5 minute ride to recharge you for 200 more hours of working eh?

Congrats on the drive!!
I am still a few months from that on mine.

shortbed70 03-03-2012 01:44 AM

man this thing is unreal. It sat outside for a few hours tonight in about 45 degree weather and it fired right up no pumping the gas or anything..Fire lit and ready to rock...Hopefully I'll have time to get this bed done in the next few weeks. I have to finish up this bike I'm painting first though...

fryco 03-06-2012 08:47 PM

Yours has mine beat, at 45degrees mine won't start. Pump and crank all you want. That big ass chokless carburter sounded good when I ordered it. :devil: (methonal does help either). I have to prime it with gas when its cold. Saving almost $200 a fill-up is worth the extra little bite of messing around with methonal. I did manage to get the old beast up to 4 miles per gallon. :devil: Pretty bad when your happy to get a hundred miles on a 32 gallon tank.

My friends are getting their circle track cars ready, hearing my buddies mod last weekend left me jones'n bad!!!!

Ohh well, within a month or so it will be going.

What do you do for a living that your worried about being laid off?

shortbed70 03-06-2012 09:21 PM

Damn 4 mpg!!! Well gotta pay to play... I also have a chock less carb if it makes you feel any better lol. I am a welder on a military base and there's talk of contracts going away...
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 03-06-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5235145)
Damn 4 mpg!!! Well gotta pay to play... I also have a chock less carb if it makes you feel any better lol. I am a welder on a military base and there's talk of contracts going away...
Posted via Mobile Device

The Obamanation strikes again.
Usually I am more respectful of my big boss, but he dont like us Military folk too well.
Hope it doesn't dry up on you faster than you can get more work man!

fryco 03-06-2012 11:54 PM

Ally fuels are not known for their efficiency. My engine quy said it will not get over 6mpg on gas. $2.50 or $7.50 per gal, I went with the $2.50 you just use a little more.:devil: On the bright side it never gets hot putting around town in traffic and I'be never fowled a plug. Try that with a 1000 cfm 4150 gas Holley, you'll change plugs every third stop sign!

I know your pain about the lay off deal. I saw it coming, couldn't do anything about it. I couldn't find another job for a year and half. It sucks! Big old **** sandwich.

My friend is a weld supervisor in a pressure vessel shop, if you can pass a 6g w/X-ray inspect, mig or tig $20 + per hr to start. They need 10+ welders. Personal message me if you want to know more.

shortbed70 03-07-2012 08:51 AM

I almost went e85 when I built my motor but decided to stay pump friendly.. I plan to drive the wheels off this thing this year if I'm still working! We will see how it goes but until that day comes I'm plugging away at this thing...
Posted via Mobile Device

fryco 03-07-2012 11:11 PM

E85 is starting to be pretty common, I'd be using it if a local station carried it. The place I get my race fuels from has it. But I I have to bring it back by the barrel, it won't be road fuel.:smoke:

shortbed70 03-12-2012 11:04 PM

Did some block sanding and hopefully soon the bed will be painted...Still waiting on a big chunk of sheetmetal to show up but getting close

shortbed70 03-18-2012 10:03 PM

Well got the inside tailgate skin welded in and etch primed now need to seal it all up with seam sealer and throw some paint down.... Bed almost done. Also wives around some wires under the dash trying to organize them. Closer...Wish I could post pics. Also got another two side jobs done in the last two weeks. Motorcycle painted and a 90 Chevy stepside painted today.
Posted via Mobile Device

redneck6 03-23-2012 02:48 PM

any updates looking like a prom queen on prom night .:metal:

shortbed70 03-23-2012 04:37 PM

Thanks man and I hope to post some pics and possible video in the next week or so..
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 03-24-2012 02:37 PM

Pics coming soon.........:metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 03-24-2012 03:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this mornings progress!!!! more to come.......

shortbed70 03-24-2012 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well heres project "Carma"

Alan's Classic 03-25-2012 01:08 AM

Lookin' good Troy, your making some good progress.

shortbed70 03-25-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5273227)
Lookin' good Troy, your making some good progress.

Thanks Alan
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 03-25-2012 03:01 PM

Heck ya !! :agree: looking good man, going to be a great summer if you get to drive that all around town!