The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

ruffrida2005 01-07-2010 05:08 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I pulled the carb off my truck to sell. And I was going to pull the gears out of the rear end to trade.

Hottrucks 01-07-2010 05:10 PM

I shoveled out the garage door backed the truck out and then picked my way around town to avoid the wet/salty parts of the road went down picked up some flooring and took the trash out

markeb01 01-07-2010 08:06 PM

Received new trailing arm bushings today. Got the garage cleaned up ready for another project. Think I'll probably wait a bit before tearing it apart though, not too crazy about working on it when the ambient is 24 and the garage is 42 degrees.

sams60gmc 01-08-2010 10:38 PM

I got my bags in the mail today:metal:

ravens65 01-08-2010 11:56 PM

awesome- front and rear ? next truck I build will be bagged w/ custom frame , how much do you think a whole air system will set me back? Eric

jgh64pkup 01-08-2010 11:58 PM

i changed carbs but i gotta change em back
p.o.s. holleys :haha:
back to the good old q-jets and that crappy adapter i have to use haha

198plus 01-09-2010 12:26 AM

You need to learn how to tune the Holleys :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3719555)
i changed carbs but i gotta change em back
p.o.s. holleys :haha:
back to the good old q-jets and that crappy adapter i have to use haha

midnite 01-09-2010 12:57 AM

finished my bucket seats building my sub box and comsole and got it all installed

sorry for bad pics
the sub box goes across behind the seats
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2223831_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._1390049_n.jpg

SCOTI 01-09-2010 01:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been trying to get things done on my project 64 but feel as if I'm getting no where fast..... So, today I decided my task would be to make lists of items needed to be done (hey, if it helps get it done, it counts right? :lol: ).

I organized the tasks into groups & I'm going to try & use the list like 'assignments' to complete each week. I thought maybe sharing the list might help my motivation even more:

Rolling Chassis I need to....
Get the gas tank 'fill' piping determined & routed DONE
Finish my upper rear shock mounts DONE
Determine rear bumper bracket placement
Finalize bed floor mounting (switching to steel floor & raising @ the same time)DONE

Finish machining my truck-arm spacersDONE

Make rear bag hats to install the bagsDONE

Get the tranny x-member mounted
Determine exhaust routingDONE

Paint/powder-coat the frame, x-members, cab mounts, & various brackets
Route fuel lines
Route brake lines
Route air lines
Mount air tanks & compressors
Purchase rear wheels DONE
Purchase rear tires DONE

Purchase shocks DONE

Drivetrain
Repaint the motor (different 'theme' warrants a different color)
Paint the tranny
Mount the accessories (already got them powder-coated and/or detailed)
Mount radiator
Mount electric fan
Wire fans & headlight relays
Re-wire for internal alternator (hi-amp conversion)
Mount brake assembly (vac booster/master cyl, & firewall adapter bracket)
Mount trans cooler

Interior
Clean/scrub cab interior
Install high-hump trans tunnel cover
Install sound/heat insulation
Remove 'cassette' style radio for delete plate
R&R manual column for van auto tilt
Remove clutch pedal
Purchase carpet & install
Mount seat (already re-covered)
Route air-lines from controller to tanks/bags
R&R front windshield
R&R dash cluster from 'lights' to analog gauges

And finally, my list for this week....
Set the steel floor in place to finalize my fuel fill routing planned for Sunday.... DONE
Finish fitting my fabricated upper shock plates to the shock x-member DONE

Trim the PB dropped truck arm Panhard bar bracket DONE I finished this before cutting the shock x-member c-sections

LILRED66 01-09-2010 01:56 AM

Nada...with the temps below zero and a foot of snow on the ground, my "get up and go has got up and went". May the sun return soon and the snow melt away.

midnite 01-09-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LILRED66 (Post 3719771)
Nada...with the temps below zero and a foot of snow on the ground, my "get up and go has got up and went". May the sun return soon and the snow melt away.

i wish, lots of snow here, but its been -25c for the past week before the windchill....

sams60gmc 01-09-2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3719551)
awesome- front and rear ? next truck I build will be bagged w/ custom frame , how much do you think a whole air system will set me back? Eric

I just got the rear. I paid 100 for both. They are Air-Lift 2600's. I'm not too sure how much a whole set up will be. I have access to most of the stuff. Air tank, lines, fittings etc. plus I built everything. But I'll have to buy a compressor and some solonoids. In Street Trucks the company Airbaggit has some pretty sweet kits that seem like pretty good deals. If I was to estemate it I would guess around 1500??

SCOTI 01-09-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sams60gmc (Post 3719815)
I just got the rear. I paid 100 for both. They are Air-Lift 2600's. I'm not too sure how much a whole set up will be. I have access to most of the stuff. Air tank, lines, fittings etc. plus I built everything. But I'll have to buy a compressor and some solonoids. In Street Trucks the company Airbaggit has some pretty sweet kits that seem like pretty good deals. If I was to estemate it I would guess around 1500??

Try AVS, SD, or Ride Tech before you use these kats. Airbagit.com is AIM/Chassis Tech which is a company known for it's issues. Buyer beware....

sams60gmc 01-09-2010 03:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Or you could just build your own kit and pay a whole lot less and end up with something to be proud of. I've only bought the poly bushings, bags and a bag of bolts.

SCOTI 01-09-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sams60gmc (Post 3720343)
Or you could just build your own kit and pay a whole lot less and end up with something to be proud of. I've only bought the poly bushings, bags and a bag of bolts.

I wasn't being specific about using a 'kit'. I just know guys have had issue w/that company (AIM, aka Chassis Tech, airbagit.com, etc...).

62gmc910 01-09-2010 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey SCOTI I think we have Stella's almost identical twin

sams60gmc 01-09-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3720383)
I wasn't being specific about using a 'kit'. I just know guys have had issue w/that company (AIM, aka Chassis Tech, airbagit.com, etc...).

I hear ya bro. :metal: I'm just kindof a tight wad when it comes to money lol. I work as a machinest so I know what it takes to build most of the stuff. altho i do love the kits offered by airride.

Rusteeze64GB 01-09-2010 05:19 PM

hooked up my voltage regulator today, Also wired up a gas guage that is not work right and a voltage guage. Looks like I have some trouble shooting to do. I was going to bleed my brakes but, that is going to have to wait a week. After the brakes, the bed is going to come off and I am going to start cleaning and painting. Then I am gonna take a coil off the front and remove a few leafs in the back. I will try and get some pictures up soon. :metal:

zythen 01-09-2010 10:06 PM

Cut a quarter of my bed off with a hacksaw,sounds stupid but I rent the garage and it has no electricity. Note that my bed is 3/8 diamond plate so clean cuts really don't matter to me, I'm just scrapping the bed anyway. Pulled the wiring, cut the rusty exhaust off, moved the extra block and heads to the engine stand, drained some of the coolant, took the hood hinges off to be cleaned and painted, knocked some rust and dried mud out of the frame and off of the rear suspension and cleaned up the rest of my crap laying around.

I forgot to take pictures of it but my frame looks like it was cut off with an air chisel.

62 Bowtie 01-09-2010 10:18 PM

Wired up my amp sounds great then took it for a spin. Man it felt good I havent drivin it for about a month, I was starting to get the shakes:lol: jumpped on the freeway and nailed it bookin along gettin the thumbs up I am so happy with how it runs, whew I need to calm down now :smoke:.... later, Tony

monolith 01-09-2010 11:03 PM

Commuted the last 2 days to work in the 64 without a hitch or a worry.

50 mi each way- this thing starts, handles, runs better than the 66 which is getting tired out.

DWright 01-09-2010 11:25 PM

Finished painting my freshly built 400hp/450tq 350. Planning on towing my truck to work Monday to install the '79 crossmember and then the engine and camaro t5. busy busy busy...

198plus 01-09-2010 11:37 PM

Getting tired of trying to get bed adjusted..........Cannot git rid of this problem, how much is to much for shims. To get tailgate to close on this top side I have to shim the other back side of bed up 3/8 inch and then bed doesn't set level..........Help any suggestions.......

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/DSC_0452.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/DSC_0450.jpg

Vernski 01-10-2010 12:19 AM

[quote=198plus;3721244]Getting tired of trying to get bed adjusted..........Cannot git rid of this problem, how much is to much for shims. To get tailgate to close on this top side I have to shim the other back side of bed up 3/8 inch and then bed doesn't set level..........Help any suggestions.......

It looks like the tail gate may be tweaked, I guess you could tweak it back but not sure of how to do it. Maybe someone knows the procedure out there.Body
guys?? Vernski:uhmk:

198plus 01-10-2010 12:40 AM

I've tried tweaking it back........I really don't think it is the tail gate ?????

[quote=Vernski;3721354]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 3721244)
Getting tired of trying to get bed adjusted..........Cannot git rid of this problem, how much is to much for shims. To get tailgate to close on this top side I have to shim the other back side of bed up 3/8 inch and then bed doesn't set level..........Help any suggestions.......

It looks like the tail gate may be tweaked, I guess you could tweak it back but not sure of how to do it. Maybe someone knows the procedure out there.Body
guys?? Vernski:uhmk:

Rich 5150 69 01-10-2010 02:59 AM

I`m thinking you might have to loosen the headboard, shim, the tighten down the headboard again. just a thought...!

ravens65 01-10-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 3721244)

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/DSC_0452.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...1/DSC_0450.jpg

first make sure you know what the problem is... use two pieces of string , hold them corner to corner ( diagnal -inside ) to form a x shape if the strings touch in the center ,its not warped- if there is a gap or one string bends the other one than it is warped .this little trick will tell you what is going on

ravens65 01-10-2010 05:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well we installed 41-48 repo tail lights today , it was freezing , even in florida. I had a good helper today ,the youngest of my 3 sons! the fenders were off so I traced the stake pockets of the bed onto a big envelope, measuring off the lower hole and taped it to the fender , this let me center the tail light in the postion that I wanted with out installing the fender again. We used a 1-1/2" holesaw then cut between the holes , left a little adjusting room just incase the holes were off a little -I love the look !!!!!!! custom yet old school!!

ravens65 01-10-2010 05:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK , people are wanting to see how that hood tilts forward here is a pic. of part of the hinge notice how the flat stock runs across the back of the radiator support and ties the left and right together, the part that hooks to the hood is a " H " shape w/ angles on a 45% that ties the " H " structure together , ea leg of the " H" have a lug nut welded inside and a heim joint threaded into the lug nut - a 2"x2" angle was then bolted to the stock hood support , Now my stock hood supports were fiber glassed to the fiberglass hood -simple right? I'll post better pics. later when I can get to the hood Eric

aboz 01-10-2010 06:58 PM

I crawled underneath my '63 just to see how rusty the flywheel is getting. My new clutch has been waiting for over six weeks to be installed. Between being sick for the entire month of December and the fact that here in NC we've had the worst cold snap in 33 years, I really haven't felt like doing much.

Envy 01-10-2010 09:11 PM

Today I pulled the "new" sbc 350 out to make room for the cummins swap, next weekend hopefully take the coils out and put the bags in and my new center crossmember and cpp trailing arms.

protrash64 01-10-2010 09:38 PM

'Burb got a new Optima and some 255/60/15's to match the rear tires...looks good and starts even better:metal:.........

sams60gmc 01-10-2010 09:49 PM

Did a quick little video blog trying out my new camera :metal:

198plus 01-10-2010 09:51 PM

Alright I pulled the strings and one string bends the other, I shimmed it with washers up to where the strings barely touch..........9/16 of an inch.

Whats next ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3721934)
first make sure you know what the problem is... use two pieces of string , hold them corner to corner ( diagnal -inside ) to form a x shape if the strings touch in the center ,its not warped- if there is a gap or one string bends the other one than it is warped .this little trick will tell you what is going on

truckdrivinsob 01-10-2010 10:07 PM

I towed mine back to my shop:no: Damn timing chain! Its gear drive time!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...1-10133654.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...1-10134412.jpg

NF65Fleetside 01-11-2010 03:55 AM

I took off my hideous side mirrors and replaced with a peep mirror. Put a new chrome dome light and lens in. Attempted to replace my turn signal switch with no luck of getting the steering wheel off....and chipped it too! suxs! will try again tomorrow.

lakeroadster 01-11-2010 09:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ERIC BUFFARD (Post 3722398)
well we installed 41-48 repo tail lights today .... custom yet old school!!

I am loving the way the 41-48 tail lights turned out! Good job.

On Saturday I finished all the mounting bracketry for my stretched 67 Camaro dash. 9 bolts hold it in and it is very sturdy, yet removable. Now on to the wiring and center gauge pod.

ravens65 01-11-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 3722936)
Alright I pulled the strings and one string bends the other, I shimmed it with washers up to where the strings barely touch..........9/16 of an inch.

Whats next ?

well looks like you will have to replace the tailgate , this is common with these old truck- all of them were used as work trucks . take it off get the bed right ,shop for a new tailgate . the old one will never be right . the string trick is something that I do to ck doors with ( houses and commercial , wood and metal ) if it was a metal door I would put a hammer handle in it and slam the door to bend it back !!! you could try that but it might damage the box. but if you buy a used tailgate at least you know how to check it Eric

ravens65 01-11-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 3723752)
I am loving the way the 41-48 tail lights turned out! Good job.

On Saturday I finished all the mounting bracketry for my stretched 67 Camaro dash. 9 bolts hold it in and it is very sturdy, yet removable. Now on to the wiring and center gauge pod.

well I like the impala lights on yours but they cost to much hahaha so I chose the 41-48 , both ideas look better than stock don't they???

C10Slim 01-11-2010 10:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Mounted PS pump, plummed brake lines and cables, installed gas tank and a new set of drum shoes. :)