The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My version of the s10 swap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384736)

neverfinished52 07-02-2016 05:04 PM

Re: My version of the s10 swap

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJeep (Post 7626648)

Talked to Finnegan at a stoplight, he told me nice truck!
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps1svvjgqf.jpg

This is literally 1 minute from my house

av8tr33337 08-27-2016 01:32 AM

Your build turned out great man. Lots of long hours and sweating it out really paid off.

BlueJeep 08-30-2016 11:04 PM

Thanks! Have been driving it pretty regularly, 3700 miles on it as of last weekend. Some squeaks and rattles to attend to.....but that can be handled later.

72-c20 10-11-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJeep (Post 7699593)
Thanks! Have been driving it pretty regularly, 3700 miles on it as of last weekend. Some squeaks and rattles to attend to.....but that can be handled later.

:truck:

hagenkustoms 10-11-2016 05:28 PM

Really nice job. Love the colors !!

72-c20 03-13-2017 04:29 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=728495

Dan in Pasadena 03-13-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cape Codder (Post 7640469)
Wesleys Bleach white and a brass grill brush.

Ugh, that's kind of harsh. I'd suggest Softscrub and a mild kitchen sponge. Works great.

STOCKISH 03-13-2017 08:17 PM

Truck turned out amazing. Lots of amazing work involved in getting this together. Inspirational!

trucktech 05-09-2017 09:25 PM

See you were taking a spin around dsm today. Couldn't turn around fast enough to track you down

trucktech 08-21-2017 11:06 AM

Hey what did you use for a fuel pump?

BlueJeep 08-21-2017 11:16 AM

I used a new aftermarket s10 sending unit (mine was all rusty) and an in-tank pump that would handle the volume of the 5.3. I'll do some digging and find a part # for you.

PS, 9400 miles on the truck as of last night! Some squeaks and rattles that I still need to address, but no issues.

Someday when I get time I'll go back and update picture links. Damn photobucket....

BlueJeep 08-21-2017 11:18 AM

That was easier than I thought, bought it on Amazon.

AC Delco EP381

trucktech 08-21-2017 11:26 AM

What did you get for a sending unit?

BlueJeep 08-21-2017 11:29 AM

Stock 95 S10 replacement from RockAuto....but....I took off the 0-90 ohm sending unit and riveted on the one that came with my New Vintage gauges. Works good, but if I did it again I'd just get one of those sending unit converters from Speedway. Those allow you to fine tune your full and empty settings.

Then from there I used an SUR&R adapter to go from the GM O-ring fitting to the nylon fuel line I used. Simple, inexpensive, and has worked great thus far.

trucktech 08-21-2017 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info!

trucktech 08-21-2017 03:24 PM

Did you install a filter/regulator?

Desert1957 08-21-2017 03:28 PM

I wish I could see the pics from this build.........

lower50's 08-21-2017 05:43 PM

9400mi nice!! I have 7500mi on mine now.

BlueJeep 08-23-2017 11:43 AM

Been using the truck for hauling duties of late. I moved this summer and I've been working on the shop space. Plenty of drywall being moved with the truck in recent weeks!

tlorber 08-24-2017 02:11 PM

Good to hear about the hauling duties. Do you need air shocks in the rear to carry the sheetrock?

Advanced Design 08-24-2017 08:29 PM

And you never mentioned taking the truck on HRPT and beyond?

Will we see you at Metalmeet in October?

BlueJeep 08-25-2017 10:35 AM

I've been looking at 4 link options for the rear of the truck and airbags have been under consideration, and hauling duties make that seem more practical. The s10 leaves are nice and soft for ride, but don't do a very good job controlling my axle wrap when I use the skinny pedal, and squat quite a bit with a load in the bed.

Haha, sorry Doug....I should have accounted for those 9400 miles shouldn't I? ;) It's been a busy year. So yes, 2 Hot Rod Power tour long hauls on the truck in the last 14 months since it's been on the road.

Yes, I'm planning my October around the MetalMeet! I hung out with Pat Brubaker at GoodGuys in July, great to catch up with him. He said that Peter will be there again, that will be fun. I'm working on figuring out what projects to bring to work on this year, Pat razzed me last year for bringing flat Willys panels to work on, so this year I'll bring something rounded. It'll either be parts for my dad's 55 Chevy PU or something for the 54 Chevy wagon I picked up earlier this year (new HRPT car, more room for the twins).

I need to get my Flickr account figured out so I can post pics again....

gigamanx 08-25-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desert1957 (Post 8021925)
I wish I could see the pics from this build.........

Second that. Photosuckit killed them

99 to Life 08-26-2017 10:57 AM

I'm building a 4link setup now for my 51'. Should have some photos very soon, next day or two. If you want its pretty easy and cost effective to do. Biggest thing is getting 1/4 wall 2" sq tubing and or DOM tubing. I have a decent metal supplier I go to. They sell drops and or full length pieces. You can get brackets and stuff from thor bros and or plasma your own. For time and money sake I did my own, but I'd suggest buying some of the brackets as they are cheap and look nicer than doing your own. Mine is a bag behind axle with the sleeve bags. But you can whatever setup you want.

BlueJeep 08-28-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8025494)
I'm building a 4link setup now for my 51'. Should have some photos very soon, next day or two. If you want its pretty easy and cost effective to do. Biggest thing is getting 1/4 wall 2" sq tubing and or DOM tubing. I have a decent metal supplier I go to. They sell drops and or full length pieces. You can get brackets and stuff from thor bros and or plasma your own. For time and money sake I did my own, but I'd suggest buying some of the brackets as they are cheap and look nicer than doing your own. Mine is a bag behind axle with the sleeve bags. But you can whatever setup you want.

Thanks 99. Yeah, building the link setup is no problem, done it many times. It's the air management that I have zero experience with. I don't want to have big $$ in valves, etc....that was the appeal of the simple leaf springs. I hauled a bunch with it again this weekend and I really need to do something if I keep this up. ;)

99 to Life 08-28-2017 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used accuair on my last build. This one I'm just going with aire jax which used to be called little larry's valves. the four play is almost $300. thats all you need to run each bag independently. obviously you need tank and compressors and gauges. its a great looking unit, small and reliable. Going with electric valves is way more expensive and more wiring and riff raff to deal with. The one and only downfall which isn't a big deal is... routing all your airlines directly to this unit, which 90% of time will be around the dash area.

neverfinished52 08-28-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8025494)

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

lower50's 08-28-2017 10:33 AM

Look up Monroe Max air shocks. It is a heavy duty shock with an air bag helper. I have a set on the back of my jeep for 4 years now just put air in them when I load it up. They can lift 1000lb@120psi Mine where $80 for the pair.

BlueJeep 08-28-2017 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8026759)
I used accuair on my last build. This one I'm just going with aire jax which used to be called little larry's valves. the four play is almost $300. thats all you need to run each bag independently. obviously you need tank and compressors and gauges. its a great looking unit, small and reliable. Going with electric valves is way more expensive and more wiring and riff raff to deal with. The one and only downfall which isn't a big deal is... routing all your airlines directly to this unit, which 90% of time will be around the dash area.

So I assume the reason you'd want 4 valves and not 2 is in the event that your weights are significantly different left to right. Are there other reasons to have 4 vs. 2? I just googled AccuAir and yeah at that price point I'd opt out of air ride. I obviously have more researching and educating myself to do here.

Lower, that could be an option but it wouldn't fix my axle wrap, and I didn't design my shock mounts to support a load...I think I'd want them to be in double shear if that was the case.

I've also on and off considered CalTracs bars, but as low as my truck is I'm very concerned they would hit on everything (and doesn't address my hauling ability).

joedoh 08-28-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 8026759)

I have used the little larrys and they are awesome, I also have stashes of original MIC (yes the tv show guy, in the 90s he made minitrucks and manual air valves) 2 and 4 valve plates.

blue, you will want to use independent valves at least in the front, the weight may not be all that different when you lift it up, but when you go around a corner the weight will transfer side to side and your outside bag will pressure fill the inside bag making the body roll ridiculously.

also, the weight will NOT ever be even side to side when just sitting there, unless you dont plan to drive it haha.

sharing valves is ok in the rear when you have a solid rear axle, but in the front, always use independent valves.

and another shout out to the little larry/airjax stuff.

99 to Life 08-29-2017 12:10 AM

yah all great points by joedoh. it does come in handy alot having all 4 corners controlled and... in the event of disaster, its better and easier to control 1 leak or bag vs, two being out of commission bc they share a valve.

BlueJeep 09-08-2017 10:29 AM

9800 miles on the truck now. Goal was to have over 10k this year on it, will easily blow past that! Most of my spare time has been working on getting my shop set up, and that's getting closer so I'll soon be able to pull it in and start addressing some details that I've been postponing.

Still undecided on the rear suspension. How well do coilovers handle a load, anybody know? I also haven't had time to slide underneath and assess whether I'll do parallel 4 link or triangulated. I'd prefer triangulated, but has to meet my requirements.

-spare tire has to still fit behind axle
-gas tank has to still fit in front of axle
-exhaust has to fit down passenger side (but if I need to modify routing, so be it)
-has to be reliable and simple

99 to Life 09-08-2017 11:53 PM

could do a 3 link using a wishbone for space sake. not sure on coil overs, but I'm actually planning on doin that with an up coming build. From what I hear it's better than leaf springs, but I'm sure there are a ton of variables on setting them up to get the best ride.

lower50's 09-11-2017 06:35 PM

My triangulated 4 link has worked great 8000mi and counting. As for springs, I believe coils are for comfort and leaves are for load.

BlueJeep 01-01-2018 02:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
11,500-ish miles on the truck when I put it away this year! Still some things I want to sort out on it, but those will happen next spring when the snow melts.

Someday I do plan to re-build the pictures after Photobucket pirated them from this thread.

BlueJeep 01-01-2018 02:14 PM

And to hi-jack my own thread, I picked up a new project in 2017.

My Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon with the C.B. and optional rally fun pack!

lower50's 01-03-2018 08:50 AM

Good job on the 11,500 glad to see there are others who drive long distances.

BlueJeep 05-10-2018 08:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Time to accumulate more miles on the truck! 400+ last weekend to warm it up.

oldman3 05-10-2018 11:10 PM

Looks great...Jim

lower50's 05-11-2018 07:51 AM

That'a a nice warm up.