The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

Marty68 11-13-2019 08:45 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

2 Attachment(s)
paying a local race fab rod shop.. a bunch... to me there is a value to have a receipt from reputable shop for that work. AND if i don't do it it will be drive able sooner. he does this for a living and does great work.

new coil rear suspension. wheel opening is 26" 245/60/15 tires
MII tubular A Arms front no coil overs or bags. it will be 1" lower than rear 235/60/15
all new brake lines master cylinder and booster under floor
Power steering
keeping original steering column. it will be cut down and a plastic bushing made for the bottom.wife said NO WAY to loosing original wheel.

I may get it back before thanksgiving.
i am researching and deciding weather or not to relocate gas tank to rear? mustang? or re install one in the cab. i will measure and evaluate. currently had half barrels in bed for fuel tanks.
STOKED to get it back so i can piddle with it!!

mick53 11-13-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8626204)
paying a local race fab rod shop.. a bunch... to me there is a value to have a receipt from reputable shop for that work. AND if i don't do it it will be drive able sooner. he does this for a living and does great work.

new coil rear suspension. wheel opening is 26" 245/60/15 tires
MII tubular A Arms front no coil overs or bags. it will be 1" lower than rear 235/60/15
all new brake lines master cylinder and booster under floor
Power steering
keeping original steering column. it will be cut down and a plastic bushing made for the bottom.wife said NO WAY to loosing original wheel.

I may get it back before thanksgiving.
i am researching and deciding weather or not to relocate gas tank to rear? mustang? or re install one in the cab. i will measure and evaluate. currently had half barrels in bed for fuel tanks.
STOKED to get it back so i can piddle with it!!

I think you are spot on. Some things are better left to the professionals. I would rather pay someone to make sure some things are perfect than to try to do it myself even if it hurts the wallet. When I have parts made I try to find someone that not only will make it but is excited about making it. Usually an old guy (like me) in a small shop.

MARTINSR 11-13-2019 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 8624843)
When did you move to Boise? I have not been on the board much since work on the truck slowed down (too may honey dos!). Would like to get together some time.

I have been here since mid August, yep, we need to get together.

Got my garage painted and some of my art up, WHOOO HOOOO! Building my shed kit last night kicked my butt, I didn't want to stop had had to.

I'll be back to my truck in not too long.

Brian

mick53 11-13-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8626231)
I have been here since mid August, yep, we need to get together.

Got my garage painted and some of my art up, WHOOO HOOOO! Building my shed kit last night kicked my butt, I didn't want to stop had had to.

I'll be back to my truck in not too long.

Brian

That's nice, my shop is a total disaster. I wanted to build another shop this year but was stuck on a project out of state all summer.

MiraclePieCo 11-16-2019 05:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just watched a movie:

mick53 11-16-2019 10:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I need to put the big hole in the little cover. I'm going to try to do this myself. This will be my first attempt to make something important with my mill. I bought the big block cover from Summit for $52. My plan is to cut the big block seal holder out of the cover with my rotary vice and bore a hole to fit in my 292 cover and mind meld them together. It looks like it will just fit. I ordered this boring head. https://www.shars.com/4-adjustable-b...mbo-8-pc-set-1 It was pricey but will give me one more capability with my mill. I was going to send it out but decided to go for it. If I fail all i'm out is a $53 cover and a cover I can't use. If I pull it off I'll feel pretty good about myself.

DransportGarage 11-16-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8627882)
I need to put the big hole in the little cover. I'm going to try to do this myself. This will be my first attempt to make something important with my mill. I bought the big block cover from Summit for $52. My plan is to cut the big block seal holder out of the cover with my rotary vice and bore a hole to fit in my 292 cover and mind meld them together. It looks like it will just fit. I ordered this boring head. https://www.shars.com/4-adjustable-b...mbo-8-pc-set-1 It was pricey but will give me one more capability with my mill. I was going to send it out but decided to go for it. If I fail all i'm out is a $53 cover and a cover I can't use. If I pull it off I'll feel pretty good about myself.

A secondary challenge will be alignment with the crank nose. I assume you'll be tacking it in place while it is mounted on the block. Be careful not to melt the seal! (but hey, you can always punch in another one after the smoke has cleared!)

mick53 11-16-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8627916)
A secondary challenge will be alignment with the crank nose. I assume you'll be tacking it in place while it is mounted on the block. Be careful not to melt the seal! (but hey, you can always punch in another one after the smoke has cleared!)

I figure if I set the boring head center off the existing hole on the 292 cover and cut the big block cover with the rotary vice in the big block hole I should retain the same center. Of course I have no idea what i'm doing. Succeed or fail I will be smarter when I'm done.

DransportGarage 11-16-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8627970)
I figure if I set the boring head center off the existing hole on the 292 cover and cut the big block cover with the rotary vice in the big block hole I should retain the same center. Of course I have no idea what i'm doing. Succeed or fail I will be smarter when I'm done.

As long as those Asian guys machined everything spot on, the additive error won't get you. :ack: I would at least put the BB cover in place and check concentricity before I cut it.

crossfire84 11-16-2019 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8627882)

How are you going to locate both centers in the exact same x/y axis without a common fixture for both pcs?

mick53 11-17-2019 12:10 AM

I figure I will clamp the 292 cover on the mill and set the boring head to exactly the same as the existing hole and then using the same center enlarge the hole to 3.6" Then using the big block hole on the rotary vice with the self centering vise in the hole I should maintain the center and mill it down to 3.6". This keeps me just outside the collar on the big block cover and just inside the screws on the 292 cover. I should be able to drop the big block collar in the 292 hole and maintain the center. I don't think it has to be within .oo1". some of them are made out of plastic and have some play when you mount them. I realize it has to be close but not space shuttle close.

mick53 11-17-2019 12:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Didn't get much done had to make arrangements for my car hauler to be delivered from GA. It will be here Friday. I put my speedo block off on my trans after polishing of course. I have GPS speedometer. I drilled and tapped in some stainless steel 1/8" pipe plugs in my dipstick hole and the bolt hole.

MiraclePieCo 11-17-2019 09:21 PM

Slick!

mick53 11-18-2019 12:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I started working on my blower belt guard again. I had already sanded the chatter out of the cut outs and blocked it down to 600 grit. Using the sandpaper mandrel on my rotary tool I sanded the cut outs with 1000 grit, 1500 grit and 2000 grit and then polished with tripoli. I will now start sanding the faces further. I like to finish places like the cut outs first so WHEN my rotary tool slips it doesn't bum me out so much.

MALIBLOC 11-18-2019 02:10 AM

grounded my taillights and installed blue dots:metal:

crossfire84 11-18-2019 09:29 AM

:wop:
Quote:

Originally Posted by MALIBLOC (Post 8628964)
grounded my taillights and installed blue dots:metal:

evilokc 11-18-2019 10:07 AM

didn't get to do much besides pulling it out and later back into the garage. been working on my house. trying to get the inside painted before my family comes over for the holidays. its getting chilly. hate the impending doom of winter.

mick53 11-18-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8629034)
didn't get to do much besides pulling it out and later back into the garage. been working on my house. trying to get the inside painted before my family comes over for the holidays. its getting chilly. hate the impending doom of winter.

Doom of winter, really, New Mexico? We had 6" of snow last week and 7 deg. I guess it's all about perception.

MALIBLOC 11-18-2019 11:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
here you go , couldn't understand why they wouldn't operate properly , does seem like driver side is a little dimmer than passenger, may have to investigate that more, just glad to find the problem and fix it.

mick53 11-18-2019 09:52 PM

I went to the courthouse today and started a Racing company (XXXX XXXXX Racing). In my county it cost $25 to file a DBA. Took that to the bank and opened a bank account. Received a debit card and checks. Sent my credentials to PRI show in Indy to get my pass in. Before this I always had to depend on others to get me passes to closed trade shows. I have a feeling this company may lose money.

MiraclePieCo 11-19-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MALIBLOC (Post 8629095)
here you go , couldn't understand why they wouldn't operate properly , does seem like driver side is a little dimmer than passenger, may have to investigate that more, just glad to find the problem and fix it.

I've seen some really weird inexplicable electrical problems solved with better grounds.

mick53 11-19-2019 11:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I received my boring head today and started the timing cover. I installed the cover on the engine ran the screws in slowly doing the countersunk ones first to make a repeatable install. After setting the boring head to the existing hole I moved it .005" to center it. I then took cuts of .100 until I got close and did a finish cut of .005. I will reinstall it tomorrow and see how it fits. Then cut the other center out. I have no idea what I'm doing.

DransportGarage 11-20-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8629978)
I received my boring head today and started the timing cover. I installed the cover on the engine ran the screws in slowly doing the countersunk ones first to make a repeatable install. After setting the boring head to the existing hole I moved it .005" to center it. I then took cuts of .100 until I got close and did a finish cut of .005. I will reinstall it tomorrow and see how it fits. Then cut the other center out. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Most of us wouldn't have known how to spec the boring head for purchase. You're gonna knock this one out of the park. Sounds like you're already .005" more accurate than the factory hole.

MARTINSR 11-20-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mick53 (Post 8629366)
I went to the courthouse today and started a Racing company (XXXX XXXXX Racing). In my county it cost $25 to file a DBA. Took that to the bank and opened a bank account. Received a debit card and checks. Sent my credentials to PRI show in Indy to get my pass in. Before this I always had to depend on others to get me passes to closed trade shows. I have a feeling this company may lose money.

LOL, Naaaa, you are now a professional race car driver! A guy I work with at my new job has raced his whole life! OMG every time this guy talks it's about a different wild story, Baja 1000, NASCAR, everything but drag racing. He says he doesn't want to work days on a car for a few second thrill. LOL

He is now into Sprint cars, racing is this guys life!

Brian

MARTINSR 11-20-2019 09:15 AM

Good to see you guys getting stuff done on your trucks!

Brian