The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

tutone 04-22-2023 06:22 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

Congratulations. It is a good feeling.
At some point, you will absolutely not know what day of the week it is. Or is that just me?

Steeveedee 04-22-2023 06:31 PM

You're not alone with that day of the week business, I can assure you! Though even back in the '80s when I was in uni and working, I'd sometimes drive over to the campus and wonder why it was so deserted. Burning my candle at both ends in those days. Two jobs and a full load schedule will do that to a person.

Warrens69GMC 04-22-2023 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jetta maintenence

Boog 04-22-2023 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9198380)
2:30 Today I signed off on my keys to the store and my Retirement papers. :metal::bann::bann::metal:

Congrats on that Mike. Retirement will feel more normal after some time.
After rising around 4 am for 40+ years my body just won't let me sleep past that time. I normally get 4 to 5 hours sleep but I might catch a quick nap or two during the day. My internal clock is busted and won't reset! :lol: I have been back to visit the guys at the old job once a year for the last 3 years. I left it in good hands but that man has also quit and I am sorry to say the place has gone downhill terribly. What a disappointment. I won't be going back.
Also I noticed I often didn't know what the day and date was, as there is no start and end to the week now. My wife found a real neat fix for that. It's a digital clock with day, date and year displayed. We no longer ever wonder just what day of the week it is. ;)

Boog 04-22-2023 09:16 PM

What I did today not on my truck?
Well I dug into the storage unit to see what I could cull to make some room out there and find my chainsaw. I couldn't get in past the door. After all day I made it to the back of the unit and worked my way back but made little to no improvement out there. I found very little to toss. We ended up with quite a lot of our parent's belongings the last 4 years and don't know what to do with them. So everything I pulled out today had to go right back in. What a wasted day...
And I still didn't find my chainsaw.

tutone 04-22-2023 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The only thing besides the folks I worked with that I miss, is the access to all the machining equipment. I am building my version of a 3 point hitch "log handler". I have to still weld my hitch point plates on there, but I need to drill some mighty large pin holes. That milling machine would make quick work of it. So I threw them in the truck and took them to my old co-worker who is now the maint super, and he is getting it done. Here is a pic of a factory deal. I sorta added a 30 degree boom to it. Hitch points should be similar. And my framework I have started.

Getter-Done 04-22-2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9198621)
The only thing besides the folks I worked with that I miss, is the access to all the machining equipment. I am building my version of a 3 point hitch "log handler". I have to still weld my hitch point plates on there, but I need to drill some mighty large pin holes. That milling machine would make quick work of it. So I threw them in the truck and took them to my old co-worker who is now the maint super, and he is getting it done. Here is a pic of a factory deal. I sorta added a 30 degree boom to it. Hitch points should be similar. And my framework I have started.

:metal::metal:

3757chevy 04-23-2023 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9198578)
Congratulations. It is a good feeling.
At some point, you will absolutely not know what day of the week it is. Or is that just me?

Thanks tutone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 9198609)
Congrats on that Mike. Retirement will feel more normal after some time.
After rising around 4 am for 40+ years my body just won't let me sleep past that time. I normally get 4 to 5 hours sleep but I might catch a quick nap or two during the day. My internal clock is busted and won't reset! :lol: I have been back to visit the guys at the old job once a year for the last 3 years. I left it in good hands but that man has also quit and I am sorry to say the place has gone downhill terribly. What a disappointment. I won't be going back.
Also I noticed I often didn't know what the day and date was, as there is no start and end to the week now. My wife found a real neat fix for that. It's a digital clock with day, date and year displayed. We no longer ever wonder just what day of the week it is. ;)

Thanks Boog. My wife works from home so I won't have an issue on days of the week.

Rich84 04-24-2023 08:34 AM

Good for you! Congratulations..

We saw our first hummingbird of the season. I guess Spring is officially here.

Lost in the 60's 04-24-2023 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 9199005)

No Hummingbird sightings yet, but most of the other birds are back, including the blue birds. The year round birds were all getting their breeding plumage at the end of March and then mother nature threw a cruel "joke" on them April 1st with a blizzard. Freezing rain with high winds overnight, turning to 10" of wet, heavy snow. This whole area is still cleaning up the thousands of downed branches and trees from that "gift". We were without power for 20 hours. Overnight lows are still below freezing.
Might be why the Hummers and Oriels are a little slow returning to the frozen north.

Stocker 04-24-2023 11:51 AM

Quote:

Yep, saw my first one of the year while hiking the trails yesterday morning. And wildflowers are starting to poke their heads out. It would be just about perfect if not for the pollen that's starting to fill the air.... and my sinuses.

3757chevy 04-24-2023 11:55 AM

Quote:

Good for you! Congratulations..

Thanks. We put out the feeders a week ago 'cause the wife heard a Hummingbird , haven't seen them yet.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in the 60's (Post 9199014)
No Hummingbird sightings yet, but most of the other birds are back, including the blue birds. The year round birds were all getting their breeding plumage at the end of March and then mother nature threw a cruel "joke" on them April 1st with a blizzard. Freezing rain with high winds overnight, turning to 10" of wet, heavy snow. This whole area is still cleaning up the thousands of downed branches and trees from that "gift". We were without power for 20 hours. Overnight lows are still below freezing.
Might be why the Hummers and Oriels are a little slow returning to the frozen north.

I woke up this morning looked out back and saw the first Oriel of the season . Of coarse we have a spring storm due in later Today.

dave6672 04-24-2023 12:07 PM

OK, you guys talked me into it, I'm retiring too.

Really I am. I'm been at my company for 32 years and have been eligible for full retirement for two years now. I was going to retire in 2025 but they announced a "restructuring" which is eliminating 2000 jobs company wide (and includes a lump sum payout depending on your years of service), so I put my hand in the air and they took me up on it.

My last day is June 30th.

3757chevy 04-24-2023 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6672 (Post 9199067)

Really I am. I'm been at my company for 32 years and have been eligible for full retirement for two years now. I was going to retire in 2025 but they announced a "restructuring" which is eliminating 2000 jobs company wide (and includes a lump sum payout depending on your years of service), so I put my hand in the air and they took me up on it.

Congratulations . I'm actually only 3 hours into it , so it hasn't sunk in yet. My weekend was close to normal , other than a family get together for two days .:metal:

Getter-Done 04-24-2023 01:08 PM

Quote:

No Way;)

Congratulations :chevy::chevy:

dave6672 04-24-2023 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9199076)
Congratulations . I'm actually only 3 hours into it , so it hasn't sunk in yet. My weekend was close to normal , other than a family get together for two days .:metal:

Congratulations and best of luck to you as well! It will be a big adjustment, but one I'm looking forward to.

dave6672 04-24-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9199086)
No Way;)

Congratulations :chevy::chevy:

Yep, wasn't expecting it, but I'll take it! Thanks!

Stocker 04-24-2023 01:38 PM

Quote:

:cong: I was among a group offered an enhanced retirement 14 years ago. Had a few stars aligned so I took it and never looked back.
Nice to see some of you 'youngsters' able to bail out & move on to better things in life!

tutone 04-24-2023 06:45 PM

Quote:

Good for you. I told my wife that I was taking a 3 week vacation to turkey hunt. She asked "How does somebody who is retired take a vacation?"
I'm showing her now.

Getter-Done 04-24-2023 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9199152)
Good for you. I told my wife that I was taking a 3 week vacation to turkey hunt. She asked "How does somebody who is retired take a vacation?"
I'm showing her now.

Is this an I'm going to miss her?

Or is it a How do you like me Now;)

Hope you get a Big Turkey my Friend:metal:

FleetsidePaul 04-25-2023 05:03 AM

I got a horse trailer today. I don't have a horse but it's a cool old trailer probably from the 50's. I didn't get any pic's because like a dummy I forgot my phone today.

My friend is moving and he was just going to leave it behind because the tires are toast. He said to just come and get it. The tires are flat and he didn't want to fool with it. So it was free. Well almost free, I still need to put tires on it. But I really like it, this thing is built like a battleship.

tutone 04-25-2023 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9199224)
Is this an I'm going to miss her?

Or is it a How do you like me Now;)

Hope you get a Big Turkey my Friend:metal:

Thanks.
Mostly I'm the turkey though.
Speaking of horse tralers, they are very handy for hauling lumber. Built like a tank. I don't know much about horses.

72 tigger 04-25-2023 06:06 AM

Quote:

Good for you Dave! You’ll enjoy it I’m sure

68bowtie 04-25-2023 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9199268)
I got a horse trailer today. I don't have a horse but it's a cool old trailer probably from the 50's. I didn't get any pic's because like a dummy I forgot my phone today.

My friend is moving and he was just going to leave it behind because the tires are toast. He said to just come and get it. The tires are flat and he didn't want to fool with it. So it was free. Well almost free, I still need to put tires on it. But I really like it, this thing is built like a battleship.

Sounds cool. In for pictures.

Ol Blue K20 04-25-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9198380)
2:30 Today I signed off on my keys to the store and my Retirement papers. :metal::bann::bann::metal:

Congratulations!!! :metal: