The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Shrunken66Stroker's build thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=333241)

65Pickup 04-20-2011 12:31 AM

Re: Shrunken66Stroker's build thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 4635080)
"38 wires to sort through"

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid Jimmydean.

I think it's the law that you can't sell seat belts after the car has been in a wreck. They didn't come with the seats and I'll have to figure something else out.

But do they fit in the seats if they were there? I wired my '65 took forever, but all my stuff does;)

shrunken66stroker 04-21-2011 10:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The trans finally got here. I bolted it up and jammed it in there to see if my measurements were correct. It's exactly where I thought it would be. The tape doesn't lie. I made a shifter out of 5/8" round stock. I put it in the vice and bent it with a pipe to get the 3" offset closer to me. I flattened out one side by cutting a little with a cutting wheel to get a flat surface to mate to the shifter mount. Then I drilled and tapped the top, cut the head off a bolt and screwed on the shifter. The pic of the shifter close to the seat is in 2nd gear. It's perfect. I think I saved $50 on a shifter.

ratty 46 04-22-2011 12:48 AM

Nice install & way to recycle ... on the shifter.

Ratty 46

Gordonr1973 04-22-2011 04:43 PM

Very good build!! Suscribed.

shrunken66stroker 04-22-2011 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
patching the old hole for the T-5 and cut the new one.

shrunken66stroker 04-22-2011 10:57 PM

this upside down pic thing is pissing me off

daverod 04-22-2011 11:05 PM

:lol::lol: I was trying it yesterday. My tip kept filling up with metal. I gave up figured I would weld it when I flip the frame over. If you figure it out let me know.;)

shrunken66stroker 04-22-2011 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4640625)
:lol::lol: I was trying it yesterday. My tip kept filling up with metal. I gave up figured I would weld it when I flip the frame over. If you figure it out let me know.;)

that's actually the top of the trans hump with the shifter coming through but my pics keep loading upside down for some reason.

daverod 04-22-2011 11:16 PM

:lol::lol: I could have sworn it said upside down welding thing.:lol::smoke: I was just thinking it looked pretty good for welding upside down. About 5 more minutes of looking at it I would have figured it out, maybe.

Strodder 04-24-2011 06:57 PM

Keep tacking it when upside down??? Maybe that would work better? :hmm:

Strodder 04-24-2011 06:59 PM

:lol: I should have kept on reading. My camera does the same thing. I can't take a upside down picture. :lol:

shrunken66stroker 04-24-2011 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a someone wanting more info on the steering column chop so I'm posting a few pics.

paul63c10 04-24-2011 10:34 PM

thats some darn good looking work you have so far! :metal: but, hey i know this is a weird request but can you take a picture of your seats without the headrest on them? i am trying to figure if i want to get bucket seats and leave the head rest off or a new bench seat. :ito:

shrunken66stroker 04-24-2011 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it's worth mentioning too that the 3" cut needs to be between where the bolts mount into the column. You need to retain all of the bolt holes for this to work correctly. The trim sleeve just needs about 2" cut off the bottom so it will slide down far enough to bolt back on to the column. Hope this helps.

shrunken66stroker 04-24-2011 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by paul63c10 (Post 4644260)
thats some darn good looking work you have so far! :metal: but, hey i know this is a weird request but can you take a picture of your seats without the headrest on them? i am trying to figure if i want to get bucket seats and leave the head rest off or a new bench seat. :ito:

I already pulled them out of the truck to drill the holes and weld the supports in the floor, repair the trans tunnel and a few other things. I'll probably have them back in the the truck either this week or next, so I'll post pics when I do. They're pretty flush with the bottom of the rear window when the head rests are off. If I remember right it's 1/4" either way. I hope this pic from last week helps.

66 lwb cs 04-25-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 4644293)
I think it's worth mentioning too that the 3" cut needs to be between where the bolts mount into the column. You need to retain all of the bolt holes for this to work correctly. The trim sleeve just needs about 2" cut off the bottom so it will slide down far enough to bolt back on to the column. Hope this helps.

Thanks`for the pics may go with a tilt wheel to solve my problem build is bad a$$ though

Strodder 04-25-2011 10:19 AM

I used a tilt wheel from a Camero. The length fit perfect. It bolted right up to the steering shaft too. The only thing was I modified a 73 pedal assembly and bolted the column to that.
http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/1965...52_EZFpB-M.jpg

http://belair.smugmug.com/Other/1965...13_cNJ2b-M.jpg

shrunken66stroker 04-25-2011 07:46 PM

I like doing things the hard way Dennis. You should know that by now.

Strodder 04-25-2011 09:37 PM

This way was a PITA. But didn't have to touch the column. :uhmk:

shrunken66stroker 04-25-2011 10:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I made some 1/8" plates to reenforce the floor where the outside seat bolts mount and cover the holes where I drilled out the old mounts. I just need to make some for the inner seat/console mounts, clean up the under side of the floor pans and weld them in. Since the engine and trans were in I drilled and bolted the trans cross member. The bolts just happened to line up on either side of where the frame was welded back together after the shortening. After that I took the engine and trans out and filled the holes on the engine mounts that I'm not going to use. I just have to smooth them out.

daverod 04-25-2011 11:22 PM

Very nice I wish I could get my welds to look like that.;) Mine stick up more. I'm guessing more heat less wire or just slow down?:uhmk: Mine look more like Strodders.:lol::lol:

shrunken66stroker 04-25-2011 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4646606)
Very nice I wish I could get my welds to look like that.;) Mine stick up more. I'm guessing more heat less wire or just slow down?:uhmk: Mine look more like Strodders.:lol::lol:

I wish I could get mine to look more like that too. Those are tig welds that my brother did. He left his tig at my house since we shortened the frame and I've only been using it for the last few months but I love it. I was scared of it for a while but started practicing and I don't want to use the mig anymore. My welds are getting better but they're nowhere near as nice a his. He was a welding teacher for a while at the union he's in, so I guess he's had a lot more instruction and practice than either of us.

Dinos63 04-26-2011 12:03 AM

nice work !! I enjoy seeing how you build stuff

shrunken66stroker 04-26-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinos63 (Post 4646678)
nice work !! I enjoy seeing how you build stuff

Likewise.

Strodder 04-26-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4646606)

Greg those welds are beautiful. :metal:

Thanks for the nice words Dave. :lol: My biggest problem welding is, I can't see what I'm doing. My auto darkening helmet sucks. I should buy a good one, and not from HF. I also think my glass' has something to do with it. They get dark also. :uhmk: I guess I do OK since I'm self taught. What are you guys using, and what did you pay for a good helmet?.

daverod 04-26-2011 10:12 AM

I did'nt say anything bad about your welds.;) It's just said they don't look as nice and flat as his. I did 'nt know they were tig so that explains it. da. Your welds look very big and strong.:sumo::lol::lol: I got my auto helmet from HF I think it the best thing I ever bought. There's better stuff? Tell me it's not so. My lens is getting kinda screwed up ma ybe I should get a new one.

Strodder 04-26-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 4647163)
I did'nt say anything bad about your welds.;) It's just said they don't look as nice and flat as his. I did 'nt know they were tig so that explains it. da. Your welds look very big and strong.:sumo::lol::lol: I got my auto helmet from HF I think it the best thing I ever bought. There's better stuff? Tell me it's not so. My lens is getting kinda screwed up ma ybe I should get a new one.

I didn't take it that way Dave. ;) Our welds aren't bad, as long as they are strong & have good penetration. I have a good grinder that makes them look better. :haha:

Strodder 04-26-2011 10:53 AM

I just saw this. Pretty cool. I guess I'm not the only one that cleans up his welds. :lol: But these didn't need it.

shrunken66stroker 04-26-2011 11:45 AM

If I make anything close to that I leave alone and show everyone who comes over.:lol:

Strodder 04-26-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker (Post 4647330)
If I make anything close to that I leave alone and show everyone who comes over.:lol:

Yeah I agree they are way too pretty to grind smooth.

chad64chevy 04-26-2011 01:40 PM

man really nice truck! can you show some more pics when you filled the seams on the cab? thanks! and strodder can you send me some more pics of your drip rails? thanks! the picture of the cab and drip rail looks like you just folded it over and filled it!! i like that, and the drip rail between the door and the window what did you do there?? once again really nice truck. i think i'm gonna use some of your ideas on my truck this summer!

daverod 04-26-2011 02:24 PM

That grinder was wierd there was no sparks.:devil: Or was that because it was Al?:uhmk:

shrunken66stroker 04-26-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 4647482)
man really nice truck! can you show some more pics when you filled the seams on the cab? thanks! and strodder can you send me some more pics of your drip rails? thanks! the picture of the cab and drip rail looks like you just folded it over and filled it!! i like that, and the drip rail between the door and the window what did you do there?? once again really nice truck. i think i'm gonna use some of your ideas on my truck this summer!

Thanks! I basically loaded them full of wire and ground it smooth. I'm going to skim over it with filler when the time comes.

shrunken66stroker 04-26-2011 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I fit and tacked the plates on the bottom of the cab. I drilled them and then bolted them in to see how they lined up. I didn't have enough time to do the inner seat and console mounts yet. Maybe tomorrow.

shrunken66stroker 05-14-2011 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's funny, looking back through my thread I saw when I posted that my son was born. Now he's out "helping" me clean up the garage. Soon he'll be a little road trip buddy and he'll probably end up owning the truck before I know it. Time flies.

daverod 05-14-2011 07:24 PM

;) As long as he's not the one finishing it.:ito: Please don't let him drive it till he's 21.

Dinos63 05-14-2011 09:16 PM

have fun it goes by fast!!! soon he will be doing burn outs in it!!

exoticmetalworx 05-14-2011 10:15 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1299344820

this image is ridiculous

Strodder 05-15-2011 10:26 AM

Yup, time does fly. My son followed in my foot steps. He does some amazing things. And is 40 years old already. Seems like yesterday I was helping him change his bicycle tire. :metal:

Cute kid. :thumbs:

wutnxt 08-08-2011 01:33 AM

Dude .....you got some great skills....any updates on the project?
And ya time does go by fast....mine all know where i hang the keys....lol...but atleast they phone and ask before it leaves the yard.