The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

64RELIC 11-10-2018 05:56 AM

Re: pdx-sanity66

The seats came out really nice. Is the grey part cloth?

pdxhall 11-10-2018 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64RELIC (Post 8381289)
The seats came out really nice. Is the grey part cloth?

Thanks. Yes, the gray is cloth.

pdxhall 11-14-2018 04:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress: inner fenders painted and installed. under dash wiring is almost ready for the gauge panel to be installed. steering column rebuilt [again]. It was hastily put together to move Sanity to Tucson. Complete tear down this time with all new bearings. I removed unnecessary hardware for starting. New turn signal cam and harness, operating hazard flasher, new tilt and turn signal arms, and steering wheel lock for added security. The column has been repainted and remounted with all hardware.
The cab floor is finished except for the carpet. The entire floor and up the back wall has been stripped, epoxy primed, coated with Lizard skin, and the area from under the seats to up the back wall sprayed with Raptor bed liner.

Modges'66 11-14-2018 08:54 PM

Wow!
Those seats look awesome!
Very nice!

pdxhall 01-30-2019 04:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted for a while but I've been making progress on Sanity. The floor has been sprayed with Raptor bed liner and the ceiling and the back panel in the cab has been painted. I have completed all engine bay wiring including the cooling fans, controller, and relays. I'm also ready to bench bleed the master cylinder and reinstall, then bleed the brakes. I've also done some painting on a bunch of small parts. I also modified the top radiator hold down bracket so it fits my aluminum radiator. I cut 1/2" out of the height. And I've started patching the front fenders. Here's some pictures.

pdxhall 01-30-2019 04:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
fender pictures

Android04 01-31-2019 12:28 PM

Looking good!

pdxhall 02-14-2019 02:44 PM

I've come to the stage in my build to get the exhaust done. This is the only thing on Sanity, besides the seats upholstered, that I haven't done myself. I just don't have the equipment to tackle it. This makes it very difficult for me to turn Sanity over to someone else to work on. I've researched a couple of places but if anybody has a recommendation to a good shop here in Tucson it would really help me out.

pdxhall 02-14-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 8384501)
Wow!
Those seats look awesome!
Very nice!

Thanks Modge. I can't wait to get them in the truck. They're in the house to keep them clean
Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8455521)
Looking good!

Thanks for the comment. It really helps my motivation.

pdxhall 02-15-2019 03:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I picked up a clock a few years back. It is from a Buick, I think. I was going to use it as a clock but I've changed my mind. I decided to try and modify it to hold my trans temp gauge. I think it worked out great. It will mount under the dash. I still need to tear it apart and wire it and repaint the housing. What do you think?

kdad 02-20-2019 05:25 PM

Oh I really like the buick clock housing. That's gonna look great as a trans temp....

pdxhall 03-21-2019 05:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted for a while but I have made quite a bit if progress. The drive train is done except exhaust and new wheels/tires.
The engine compartment is done except mounting the radiator overflow and the horn.
All the wiring is done except front and rear lights and plugging the gauge cluster in. It's an AAW kit so the dash wiring is just plug and play at this point.
I finished installing the Lokar shift linkage and shifter.
I finished installing the brake booster and master and bled the brakes, so they are done. And I hooked up the parking brake system.
I'm finally taking Sanity in for new exhaust next week. Once that is done I'll be in the debugging stage of the build.
I've started looking at the body work that I need to do and the doors will be next.
I've started patching both fenders and cleaning up the grill surround but I haven't touched the hood or bed, yet.
And I just got my NOS aluminum grill that I bought from Perro13 here on the site. It's beautiful and I'm very happy with it.
I've got a couple of pics including Sanity down on tires again.

clemdaddy 03-21-2019 07:19 AM

thats a bunch of progress and sanity is looking good.

roll_the_dice 03-21-2019 09:49 AM

Looks great! I was wondering if that was the grille from Perro. It's going to look great on there! I really like your shifter too...mind telling me the length and bend or which Lokar that is?

Lokin4AReason 03-21-2019 11:41 AM

what did the steering column come out of ?
also nice progress on the truck ....

kdad 03-22-2019 09:49 AM

Wowzers its looking great. Good to see sitting on wheels and tires again. Keep up the great work your on the final stretch..

pdxhall 03-23-2019 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 8491439)
thats a bunch of progress and sanity is looking good.

Hi Clem, I hope everything is going good for you. Thanks, Sanity is looking more complete every day and I'm really pushing to get her drivable.
Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8491493)
Looks great! I was wondering if that was the grille from Perro. It's going to look great on there! I really like your shifter too...mind telling me the length and bend or which Lokar that is?

Thanks. I'm real excited to get the grill on Sanity. It won't be long. it's the Lokar 23" nostalgia model hooked to a 700r4.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokin4AReason (Post 8491564)
what did the steering column come out of ?
also nice progress on the truck ....

Thanks. The steering column is out of '71 Camaro.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8492189)
Wowzers its looking great. Good to see sitting on wheels and tires again. Keep up the great work your on the final stretch..

Thanks, I'm really on a push to get Sanity on the road.

pdxhall 04-02-2019 03:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More progress on Sanity. The mechanicals are pretty much done. I need to do a couple more things on the dash, install the seats, and finish the door hardware when the body work on the doors is done. The drive train is done except the exhaust which I will be getting finished this week. The brake system is done including the parking brake
I'm. shifting gears right now and getting back to the small amount of body work left to do. I have the patch done on the drivers side fender and I'm almost done with patching the pass. side fender. The grill support has been media blasted and epoxy primed on the back side and I removed the grill mount/headlight brackets from my old grill, bead blasted them, and they are ready for epoxy. I bought 2 new bed sides which I wrote a review on in the general section. I already have the front bed side and the rear cross piece. I also have the front and rear bumper to prep and install. The doors have nothing done yet.
I am also shopping for wheels and tires.

pdxhall 08-23-2019 12:50 PM

Wow, I didn't realize that it's been so long since I have posted. We took a 3 month summer vacation north to Oregon to visit family.
Update: both front fenders are patched, I have finished patching the couple of spots on the roof seams and drip rail that needed finishing and I finished removing the old seam sealer around the drip rail, the exhaust is done with Magnaflow mufflers, and I painted the grill brackets and the back and front area on the grill support.
I am now getting ready to do some more media blasting on the backs of the front fenders, back of the cowl extensions, the front and rear bumpers, and the cross strips for the bed, and a few other small parts. I am also getting the roof prepped and ready to paint (white) so I can install the windshield and rear glass.
I'll get some pix up soon.

bigmoe 08-23-2019 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been following your build. Great work. I'm working on a drivetrain swap for my 65 and am gathering more parts while it's at the paint shop. What Lokar shifter did you go with? And how did you figure out where to cut the hole? Any gear indicator?

pdxhall 08-24-2019 12:29 PM

Thanks for looking in. The shifter is the Lokar Nostalgia 23" model hooked to a 700r4 trans.

roll_the_dice 08-24-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8581292)
Thanks for looking in. The shifter is the Lokar Nostalgia 23" model hooked to a 700r4 trans.

How far above the seat does the shifter sit? I've been looking at the 16" but no idea yet if it will work...I put my engine and trans in next weekend.

pdxhall 03-15-2020 02:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It seems I just can't seem to post on a regular basis but I've mad a lot of progress since my last posting in August. YUK!
I've got many pictures to post on my progress that I will try to catch up on.Right now I've been working on my hood. so I'll start with that and go back from here. I pulled my original hood out from its spot at the back of the garage for inspection. It is worse than I remember. the top is in great condition but the inner braces both front and rear are rusted beyond reasonable repair and the lower portion of the front nose section is rusted through in many places. I really needed another hood for parts or for use. A new repop was out of the question.
I've got a neighbor across the street from me that has an impressive boneyard.
He's working on a 56 ford truck right now but I won't hold that against him because he's also got 2 '61 Chevy step sides, a '53 all original chevy coupe, and a bunch of other parts. He came over the other day and I was telling him my need of a hood. He said "oh, I've got 3 or 4 of them. Why don't you come over and take a look?" I did. He had one hood that had some dents but the braces were perfect and the nose was practically rust free. I asked him if would sell it to me and he refused but said I could have it for free. I tried to give him something but he refused and we even put it in his truck and hauled it across the street for me. What a great guy!!
So now I have 2 hoods to make 1 good one. Let the tale of 2 hoods begin.
First. Here are pics of the original hood,

pdxhall 03-15-2020 02:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The free hood.

Modges'66 03-21-2020 07:22 PM

I just needed to check-in!
Lookin' good man!!

pdxhall 03-22-2020 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 8699389)
I just needed to check-in!
Lookin' good man!!

thanks,Modge

pdxhall 03-22-2020 03:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
J got the front nose and brace off of the front of both hoods. Now to make one good one out of the two.

mokelley 03-23-2020 02:46 PM

I just stumbled across your build thread. A lot of good information. I look forward to the rest and to see the final results.

pdxhall 03-24-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokelley (Post 8700610)
I just stumbled across your build thread. A lot of good information. I look forward to the rest and to see the final results.

Thanks for looking in. It's been a long journey.

pdxhall 03-24-2020 01:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I patched the passenger side cab corner.

pdxhall 03-26-2020 01:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Back to the hood. I blasted away any rust on the front of the hood and both of the nose pieces. I the measured and cut the nose pieces to splice and join the top half of the original hood and the bottom section from the donor hood. I spent quite a bit of time making things fit correctly even though the hood and this section are original. I took it off to get rid of all traces of rust. Both pieces were treated with rust convertor just to make sure. the nose piece will be spot welded in place and then the brace and the bottom section of the nose piece will be fitted.

pdxhall 03-27-2020 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have one more patch to do before installing the upper brace. The pass. side hood where the brace mounts to the hood. I got the patch from the donor hood ready to weld but it was cocktail hour and time to quit for the day so I'll weld it up today. I'm also going to get the front brace and a couple of other parts media blasted today.

pdxhall 03-30-2020 11:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few other things I've done since my short absence from posting. I've got most of the bed parts ready to assemble and put on.
Here is the tailgate. There was one small ding that was easily removed, then stripped and epoxy primed.

pdxhall 03-30-2020 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought 4 new cross sills and modified 2 to fit over the gas tank. I trimmed them up about an inch and welded a piece in for strength, I also have a new rear main cross sill and front bed panel that I bought a few years ago. and of course the 2 new bedsides.

made2drag 03-31-2020 10:27 AM

nice!

LostMy65 04-03-2020 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8701201)
I patched the passenger side cab corner.

I love you, man!
So glad to see someone use as little of the patch as possible.
So often you see them cut out the cab corner to fit the full patch piece.
Great progress!

pdxhall 04-04-2020 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by made2drag (Post 8705666)
nice!

Thanks for looking.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8707682)
I love you, man!
So glad to see someone use as little of the patch as possible.
So often you see them cut out the cab corner to fit the full patch piece.
Great progress!

Thanks, man. I've tried to retain as much of the original sheet metal as possible and the cab corners are in pretty good shape.

pdxhall 04-20-2020 01:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I ran out of gas and welding wire so I had to stop working on the hood until I can get more so I decided to assemble the bed since I have all the parts ready to go. A big job for one person but I managed with the help of my cherry picker

Captainfab 04-20-2020 09:55 PM

So did the reproduction longbed go together reasonably well?

pdxhall 04-21-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8721405)
So did the reproduction longbed go together reasonably well?

The bedsides are a great fit All of the bolts aligned perfectly and everything squared up with no problems. I'm very happy with the results.
Thanks for looking in.