The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Daverods project 66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336798)

ruffrida2005 08-13-2009 07:59 PM

Re: Daverods project 66

If Iboprofen is all your taking you haven't been working hard enough.

daverod 08-13-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3463301)
If Iboprofen is all your taking you haven't been working hard enough.

:lol::lol: Actually, I hardly take any now a days. When I start to hurt I quit and go home. :smoke: No since killin yourself. I've already come to the conclusion I'll never be rich. As long as I have my health I'll be much happier.

ruffrida2005 08-13-2009 08:14 PM

I hear ya there Dave. I'm almost taking narcs, and right now I'm taking some good stuff because I screwed my back up in Iraq. I'm going through a Medical review board right now to see if they want to keep me. Hopefully they dont try to screw me.

daverod 08-13-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3463327)
I hear ya there Dave. I'm almost taking narcs, and right now I'm taking some good stuff because I screwed my back up in Iraq. I'm going through a Medical review board right now to see if they want to keep me. Hopefully they dont try to screw me.

Nothing worse than a messed up back. Been there done that a million times. Tell me alittle about your engine?:uhmk:

Strodder 08-13-2009 09:03 PM

I must have slept wrong in my Toy Hauler this weekend. My back has been killing me ever since. I took some Advil, and put a back magnet on my back where it hurt. It went away in a half hour, and stayed away for a while. But it's still hurting me today. It's a butch getting old. :waah:

daverod 08-13-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463406)
I must have slept wrong in my Toy Hauler this weekend. My back has been killing me ever since. I took some Advil, and put a back magnet on my back where it hurt. It went away in a half hour, and stayed away for a while. But it's still hurting me today. It's a butch getting old. :waah:

***** ***** ***** :lol: I did'nt know you were old.:eek:

Strodder 08-13-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3463459)
***** ***** ***** :lol: I did'nt know you were old.:eek:

:bsf::sexy::ack:

protrash64 08-13-2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463406)
It's a butch getting old. :waah:

:confused:.....how did lesbians get caught up in this????

daverod 08-13-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3463327)

The Army screw you. They would never.:lol: I was in the reserves 1016th for 11 years got out just in time.:lol: Still have to do 3 more if I want a retirement.:waah:

daverod 08-13-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3463475)

:lol::lol::lol: Don't get him started

Strodder 08-13-2009 09:36 PM

BTW I meant *****, not BUTCH :haha:

daverod 08-13-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463484)

I know what you ment jest mesing with ya.:ito: Think I should level my frame?

Strodder 08-13-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3463494)
I know what you ment jest mesing with ya.:ito: Think I should level my frame?

Duh that's the first thing you should have done. :sumo:

daverod 08-13-2009 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463506)
Duh that's the first thing you should have done. :sumo:

Duh That why I have you. I just did'nt really see the point. Can't you just measure. Acually I just centered it on the c notch I had from before. Seemed to be quite a bit of room for error.;) Guess I'll go level it.:sumo::exit: Could'nt hurt. I can see why now that I've cut so much stuff off it.

Strodder 08-13-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3463513)
Duh That why I have you. I just did'nt really see the point. Can't you just measure. Acually I just centered it on the c notch I had from before. Seemed to be quite a bit of room for error.;)

Make sure the frame in front of the notch is level, and keep the rear of the notch level. Also check that the top of the notch is level too. You can also check for it to be square, buy measuring it across. (right side in front of notch to the left rear side of the notch. Do that on both sides, and your frame should be square. When your diff goes up all the way it arches. It might not be in the middle of the notch. MEASURE TWICE, WELD ONCE. ;)

daverod 08-13-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463529)
Make sure the frame in front of the notch is level, and keep the rear of the notch level. Also check that the top of the notch is level too. You can also check for it to be square, buy measuring it across. (right side in front of notch to the left rear side of the notch. Do that on both sides, and your frame should be square. When your diff goes up all the way it arches. It might not be in the middle of the notch. MEASURE TWICE, WELD ONCE. ;)

As long as it goes up all the way I don't care if it's in the center.:metal: I don't want to put everything back together just to see if it centered. I don't think I could tell anyways. I guess I could figure it with a string? Do you have to use lowering blocks to the axle all the way up. In the pic above it looks like thats as far up as it goes. The swing arms are hitting the frame?

Strodder 08-13-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3463550)
As long as it goes up all the way I don't care if it's in the center.:metal: I don't want to put everything back together just to see if it centered. I don't think I could tell anyways. I guess I could figure it with a string? Do you have to use lowering blocks to the axle all the way up. In the pic above it looks like thats as far up as it goes. The swing arms are hitting the frame?

But sometimes the axle tube can hit the side of the notch, and can make noise, or won't go down all the way because it's hitting. Believe me I seen a lot of butchered jobs that I repaired. Just trying to give you some knowledge about notches. I've done to many to count.

daverod 08-13-2009 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463564)
But sometimes the axle tube can hit the side of the notch, and can make noise, or won't go down all the way because it's hitting. Believe me I seen a lot of butchered jobs that I repaired. Just trying to give you some knowledge about notches. I've done to many to count.

So if it's done right the swing arm should clear the frame and go up into the notch right? In the picture above it looks as if it hits on the frame? This would be corrected if he would have moved his notch alittle forward right?;) I'm all about butching.:lol: If the notch is moved forward it looks like the back of the swing arm would hit? "Make sure the frame in front of the notch is level, and keep the rear of the notch level. Also check that the top of the notch is level too". Unless it art then it does'nt matter right.:lol: Maybe art does'nt work very good ether.

ruffrida2005 08-14-2009 07:44 AM

Do you plan on using your trailing arms for your bags to sit on. Reason I ask is mostly everyone that bags a truck gets rid of the stock trailing arms because it will hit the frame. If they keep them, they either build a back half or Z the rear of the frame. You want your axle tubes to sit center in the notch so when you lower it it wont hit anything. What are you planning on running for link bars?

daverod 08-14-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3463986)
Do you plan on using your trailing arms for your bags to sit on. Reason I ask is mostly everyone that bags a truck gets rid of the stock trailing arms because it will hit the frame. If they keep them, they either build a back half or Z the rear of the frame. You want your axle tubes to sit center in the notch so when you lower it it wont hit anything. What are you planning on running for link bars?

I was going to try to use my stock trailing arms but I guess not any more. I don't see how it would work without some big lowering blocks. The best thing would be to put the arms on the outside of the frame. I guess I'll be looking for some four link stuff. I saw SD has a kit but its $1100.

padresag 08-14-2009 09:34 AM

why do the notches seem to be backwards to one another
ron

daverod 08-14-2009 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padresag (Post 3464131)
why do the notches seem to be backwards to one another
ron

Because they are.:eek: I think it called art.

MacAttack 08-14-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3463484)

Nah - I think your really meant butch.....

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:...acters/003.jpg

Freudian Slip: or parapraxis, is an error in speech, memory, or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious ('dynamically repressed') wish, conflict, or train of thought. The concept is thus part of classical psychoanalysis.

Mac. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Strodder 08-14-2009 10:10 AM

Here's a Triangle 4 link It's only $399.00

http://www.kplinks.com/images/P/4LTW-U01_AT.jpg

And a parrall 4 link for $499.00

http://www.kplinks.com/images/P/4LPW-U01_AT.jpg

This is there link
http://www.kplinks.com/home.php

This is one of the reasons I choose to put the 73 frame on the back half of my 65. There's more options for air bagging.

jason65 08-14-2009 11:59 AM

On the triangle 4 link isn't the spot where it welds to the top of the pumpkin a very weak point cause weld doesn't stick there very well?

ruffrida2005 08-14-2009 12:28 PM

Jason yes and no, If you know what your doing you can make a very good weld. You have to preheat the pumpkin first between 300-600 and then weld. Most people dont know how and build a loop over it to attach the end links.

Dave one thing about our trucks is it's hard to 4 link because of how the bed mounts. If you dont care then you can put the links on top of the frame and then to the cent of the alxe. Remember that you have to have atleast 40* or your axle will move side to side. The best and maybe cheapest for you to do it go bag on 2x2 on outside of frame and a wishbone or watts link. If you wanna use round bar for the bags make sure that it's atleast 1.5" and .120 wall or it can bend. You should always have the lower bars adjustable. Just call up SD and let them help ya out. They make some really good links and it's good stuff.

daverod 08-14-2009 12:52 PM

I was thinking of making it easy. Seemed like a good deal they even threw in the bags. Sucks I missed the dead line. Still looking around.:uhmk: Sucks even more I'm taking next month off to go hunting so the money tree will be lacking buds. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=353118 I did get some pushrods today so all is not lost.:metal:

ruffrida2005 08-14-2009 01:04 PM

If you talk to Jason personally and buy some other stuff from him,. He'll probably give you a discount. That's what he did when I bought my crossmember from him. One thing you need to tell him that you already have the notch. It's a good kit. I just dont have the money and I backhalfed my truck.

daverod 08-14-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3464514)
If you talk to Jason personally and buy some other stuff from him,. He'll probably give you a discount. That's what he did when I bought my crossmember from him. One thing you need to tell him that you already have the notch. It's a good kit. I just dont have the money and I backhalfed my truck.

I just put all my junk on cl hopefully I'll be getting some $. I think you get 100 off if you don't need the notch.:uhmk: Tell me alittle about what you have for an engine.

jason65 08-14-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by protrash64 (Post 3463475)

Nothing wrong with a couple of them helping out now and then.:sexy:

Strodder 08-14-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3464494)
I was thinking of making it easy. Seemed like a good deal they even threw in the bags. Sucks I missed the dead line. Still looking around.:uhmk: Sucks even more I'm taking next month off to go hunting so the money tree will be lacking buds. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=353118

That SD kit looks really good. Not a bad price too. :metal:

ruffrida2005 08-14-2009 07:15 PM

Well my engine is a 77 4 bolt main 350 out of a sub. Stock crank, bored .30 with flat tops. Stock head that was worked with 2.02/1.60 valves and Z28 springs that will take up to .500 lift. Comp cam 468 lift, Stamped roller tips. AirGap intake, Holley 750, Edelbrock valve covers, edelbrock 110 GPH fuel pump

daverod 08-14-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3464980)
Well my engine is a 77 4 bolt main 350 out of a sub. Stock crank, bored .30 with flat tops. Stock head that was worked with 2.02/1.60 valves and Z28 springs that will take up to .500 lift. Comp cam 468 lift, Stamped roller tips. AirGap intake, Holley 750, Edelbrock valve covers, edelbrock 110 GPH fuel pump

Sweet just looking for ideas for my next.;)

daverod 08-15-2009 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Come on money tree!!! Maybe if I talk nice to it it will throw a few buds my way.:lol: Put my pushrods in, valves adjusted and intake on. Have to to go the store and get some miracle grow.:lol: Ah. To all feds, it's not a real tree. :lol:Or is it. Two weeks to get some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.:sumo:

daverod 08-16-2009 01:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Any ideas what headers would fit good? Drip edges came right off three wacks. Found some nice rust.;)

scotts62 08-16-2009 02:18 PM

I had some long tube headers for a 68 chevelle they worked out good but wont now because of airride... :lol:

Strodder 08-16-2009 03:06 PM

I bet all the trucks that are these years have rust there.

daverod 08-16-2009 03:41 PM

I was looking at some hedman headers They say they fit c10 1955-65? I wonder why not 66? I think I'm going to put this 350 engine in my 64 for now. I won't have to worry about bags or anything because I'm not going to lower any further than it is now.My 350 will bolt right up to the 3 speed right? I know I'll have to mess with the engine mounts. I have some auto transmissions but I like driving the 3 speed.:smoke:

watahyahknow 08-16-2009 06:01 PM

cant remember anymore if you where the one running the dropmember front end (been reading a couple of projects that are happening on here ) but if you do you might want to talk to nathan he done a couple of those trucks and tried a lot of different headers he prolly can give you the ordernumbers for them too .

daverod 08-16-2009 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 3467871)
cant remember anymore if you where the one running the dropmember front end (been reading a couple of projects that are happening on here ) but if you do you might want to talk to nathan he done a couple of those trucks and tried a lot of different headers he prolly can give you the ordernumbers for them too .

no dropped member. Big sale at IGA. Good price.:lol: