The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   My suburban's Twisted Little Sister (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655167)

65sub 10-19-2016 09:22 PM

Re: My suburban's Twisted Little Sister

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 7741320)
Nice work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7741441)
I totally agree!! Looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7741487)
Looks great Dale, keep the show going

Thanks guys. I'm glad you're following along on the slight detour on the '67. Hopefully we'll get back to the Twisted Little Sister fairly soon.

We boxed the original frame forward of the cut out section and welded the boxing plates to the new frame. We also had to reroute the exhaust. Here it's just tacked together. We should have the welding done soon before the weather gets too cool

Hewfil1 10-19-2016 11:25 PM

I take it you won't be boxing both sides then?

65sub 10-26-2016 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewfil1 (Post 7747096)
I take it you won't be boxing both sides then?

No, the boxing only extends about 12" ahead and behind the section we cut out of the drivers side frame rail.

We finished most of the welding so we pushed the frame back inside out of the cold weather. Then we carefully lowered the cab and box down on the frame

Advanced Design 10-26-2016 07:45 PM

That was some impressive frame fabrication!

Dale, is that a combination tonneau cover and tailgate? Very cool look.

Grizz1963 10-27-2016 03:38 AM

That last chassis photo really shows the extent to which you have to modify your life to get from A to Z with a modicum of coolness.

That's some serious editing of the original design just to fit it around you.

Amazed as always Dale.

piratexpress1369a 10-27-2016 10:05 AM

Looks awesome

62stepside longbox 10-27-2016 10:50 AM

Looking great Dale, she'll be done in no time

deejaaa1 10-31-2016 08:16 AM

Beautiful craftsmanship.

lower50's 10-31-2016 04:55 PM

That frame looks great, should be nice and strong for your lift.

65sub 10-31-2016 08:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7753077)
That was some impressive frame fabrication!

Dale, is that a combination tonneau cover and tailgate? Very cool look.

Thanks Doug. Combining the cover and the tailgate gets the tailgate out of my way and it's different. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7753291)
That last chassis photo really shows the extent to which you have to modify your life to get from A to Z with a modicum of coolness.

That's some serious editing of the original design just to fit it around you.

Amazed as always Dale.

Thanks Rain. I find cutting stuff up and changing it to be the fun part of the build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 7753424)
Looks awesome

Thanks Pirate

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7753468)
Looking great Dale, she'll be done in no time

Thanks Nik. Hopefully I'll get a test drive before the snow arrives.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa1 (Post 7756753)
Beautiful craftsmanship.

Thanks DJ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7757217)
That frame looks great, should be nice and strong for your lift.

Thanks Lower. I think it will all work out.

Today we installed the rad saddle and both front fenders so we could check that we had solved our panel fitment issues. Good news, things are looking good.

jonzcustomshop 11-01-2016 07:01 PM

so is the cab modified too? or is that structure to lift your chair up?

** now I see why you are going with the extra long doors on the sub... I didn't really understand why at first.

65sub 12-29-2016 09:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 7758123)
so is the cab modified too? or is that structure to lift your chair up?

** now I see why you are going with the extra long doors on the sub... I didn't really understand why at first.

Hi Jon The cab will be modified to fit the frame but I won't get to that until next spring.

We finally got the rest of the sheetmetal on the front of the 67 pickup. Mostly it fits ok but we have a large gap between the fender and the cowl. We decided to put the truck in the barn until spring. I also included a picture of the hand controls that I use. They are push forward for brake and pull back for gas.

65sub 12-29-2016 10:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
With the 67 truck put away we can get back to the Twisted Little Sister. So to start with we put the wheels back on and set it at ride height ( 4" ) just for fun.

65sub 12-29-2016 10:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next we liked that so much we set it down where it will sit aired out ( 1" ). I wanted to keep it off the ground so it will always be drivable even without air. Also the Shockwaves have limited range so 3" from ride height to aired out is as much as we can get

Grizz1963 12-30-2016 02:03 AM

Dale, Merry EVERYTHING to you and your gang.

Good to see you back.

This build always makes me smile.

Looking forward to further progress.

I love the photo from 1/4 front showing the motor and stretchy front end.

ibrown50 12-30-2016 05:30 AM

Dale, this truck is going to be soooo cool when it's done and will definately be a unique ride. Great to see you back on it :thumbs:

Hope you and your family have a happy and prosperous 2017

Average Joe 12-30-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrown50 (Post 7809054)
Dale, this truck is going to be soooo cool when it's done and will definately be a unique ride. Great to see you back on it :thumbs:

X2!!!!!!

Cool hand control setup pic!! Are you or will you be able to sit in your chair as you drive or do you have to stow the chair and transfer to the trucks seat? Burb is looking great btw!

piratexpress1369a 12-30-2016 08:49 PM

Just awesome Dale... Happy new year too

Scott2 12-31-2016 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7808812)
Next we liked that so much we set it down where it will sit aired out ( 1" ). I wanted to keep it off the ground so it will always be drivable even without air. Also the Shockwaves have limited range so 3" from ride height to aired out is as much as we can get

Amazing work - can't wait to see what's next. Really good to see you back at it!

Bomp 12-31-2016 01:29 PM

Glad to see you're back at it.
Way cool build

65sub 01-01-2017 04:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7809032)
Dale, Merry EVERYTHING to you and your gang.

Good to see you back.

This build always makes me smile.

Looking forward to further progress.

I love the photo from 1/4 front showing the motor and stretchy front end.

Thanks Rain Happy New Year. The plan for the front is a bit undefined so far but I do like the big V12 sitting there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrown50 (Post 7809054)

Thanks Ian Happy New year. It's good to be back working on this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 7809403)
X2!!!!!!

Cool hand control setup pic!! Are you or will you be able to sit in your chair as you drive or do you have to stow the chair and transfer to the trucks seat? Burb is looking great btw!

Thanks Joe I drive from my wheelchair in all my trucks. It takes some modification to get my chair in but it's much easier getting around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 7809714)
Just awesome Dale... Happy new year too

Thanks Pirate. Happy New Year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 7810149)
Amazing work - can't wait to see what's next. Really good to see you back at it!

Thanks Scott. What's next? Somedays even I don't know :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7810259)
Glad to see you're back at it.
Way cool build

Thanks Bomp I'm happy to be back and having some fun.

Just a day of welding and grinding on the tailgate. We still have a couple of days of welding to do on it. Tomorrow we'll probably work on the hood. I also included a couple of pictures of some Christmas presents my daughter got me. First is a patent drawing of a spark plug. Second are some cool Nascar race track patterns that she made for me.

Grizz1963 01-01-2017 05:34 PM

Liked your daughter before......

Now I love her to bits.

What awesome, well thought through presents.

Funny how gold and jewels do nothing for me, but a well thought through gift just melts my heart.

Love the plug pic.

lower50's 01-03-2017 07:08 PM

Sweet Dale Happy new year to you. Glad to see you back on the trucks they are looking great!! Did you make your hand control or is it something you legally had to buy?

65sub 01-04-2017 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7811389)
Liked your daughter before......

Now I love her to bits.

What awesome, well thought through presents.

Funny how gold and jewels do nothing for me, but a well thought through gift just melts my heart.

Love the plug pic.

Thanks Rain. She is a sweet girl. I love her too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7813716)
Sweet Dale Happy new year to you. Glad to see you back on the trucks they are looking great!! Did you make your hand control or is it something you legally had to buy?

Happy New Year Lower. I made the hand controls myself. Like most of the modifications I make I never bother to ask if its legal :lol:

We got some of the work done on the hood. We made a series of vertical cuts in the side then let the weight of the hood close them up and tacked them closed. We still have to reshape the bottom of each side as well as the front corners.

lower50's 01-09-2017 01:56 PM

I agree with you there!! There will always be someone who says "yup that's good" or "you can't do that". :)

65sub 01-09-2017 10:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After spending several days looking at and thinking about the hood modifications we decided we didn't like the direction it was heading. So we dug out another hood, a couple of fenders and a grille surround. We then mocked up the front end so we could evaluate some other options. The fenders and grille surround were moved forward 5 3/4 inches to center the wheels. I think we'll spend a few days looking at the front end while we continue welding on the rear gate

Advanced Design 01-09-2017 10:54 PM

No doubt you guys will get it figured and fabricated. Enjoying the updates!

Grizz1963 01-10-2017 01:36 AM

Amazing how much thinking actually has to go into a build.

And as I have mentioned before on threads, the public has no idea about the days it takes to perfect just one line.

The last pic is starting to make me think "Hotwheels model"

That exaggerated stretch is working for me, along with all you have going on toward the rear.

Waiting in anticipation to see where this goes.

lower50's 01-10-2017 08:26 AM

Cool!! What about extending the rear of the fender to make it work, leave the hood alone and build some kind of lip that goes from the top of the grill back to the hood? Just an idea.

reaper71 01-10-2017 10:10 AM

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I agree on the "public eye" thing, the shows that are on do Not show the real deal on the episodes and the actual time lines.
It's false advertising!
The one show that stands out is "Counting Cars" A truck they built last season 52-53 A.D. 3100 series they claimed it was a few months and a issue of custom classic trucks came out that is was in,and it actually took 3 yrs!!
So why lie and make people think your a magic man when you are not. I know this will never change but come on!
Off my soap box now sorry guys!/FONT]

AJCK87 01-10-2017 01:17 PM

Coming along nice!

How about sectioning the hood, adding the difference to extend and meet the grill support while doing the same with the rear portion of the front fenders. Just an idea.

Great work as always!

65sub 01-11-2017 10:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7821179)
No doubt you guys will get it figured and fabricated. Enjoying the updates!

Thanks A.D. i think we have a plan now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7821338)
Amazing how much thinking actually has to go into a build.

And as I have mentioned before on threads, the public has no idea about the days it takes to perfect just one line.

The last pic is starting to make me think "Hotwheels model"

That exaggerated stretch is working for me, along with all you have going on toward the rear.

Waiting in anticipation to see where this goes.

Thanks Rain. While the public may never understand the work that was done, truck guys will and that's what matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7821426)
Cool!! What about extending the rear of the fender to make it work, leave the hood alone and build some kind of lip that goes from the top of the grill back to the hood? Just an idea.

Thanks Lower. We'll probably extend the rear of the fender but "leave the hood alone " you know we can't do that. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 7821498)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I agree on the "public eye" thing, the shows that are on do Not show the real deal on the episodes and the actual time lines.
It's false advertising!
The one show that stands out is "Counting Cars" A truck they built last season 52-53 A.D. 3100 series they claimed it was a few months and a issue of custom classic trucks came out that is was in,and it actually took 3 yrs!!
So why lie and make people think your a magic man when you are not. I know this will never change but come on!
Off my soap box now sorry guys!/FONT]

Thanks Reaper. I'll share your soap box and mention the large crews both seen an unseen that build a truck in 3 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJCK87 (Post 7821695)
Coming along nice!

How about sectioning the hood, adding the difference to extend and meet the grill support while doing the same with the rear portion of the front fenders. Just an idea.

Great work as always!

Thanks AJC. We did consider stretching the hood but came up with a different idea.

I looked in my spare parts pile in the barn and found some GMC headlights. So we grabbed the masking tape and marked out some cut lines. After a few quick cuts we used some vice grips to clamp the lights in for a test. Then we bent a piece of sheet metal to extend the hood.

ibrown50 01-12-2017 11:09 AM

Dale, that looks great, love it already:thumbs:, I wish I had a barn like your's :lol:

lower50's 01-12-2017 12:52 PM

Ohhhhh yaaaaaa!!!!

JJorgensen52 01-12-2017 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like! Getting a real strong C2 Corvette vibe from that.

65sub 01-15-2017 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrown50 (Post 7823728)
Dale, that looks great, love it already:thumbs:, I wish I had a barn like your's :lol:

Thanks Ian. A barn full of parts just means more projects to finish

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7823812)
Ohhhhh yaaaaaa!!!!

Thanks Lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJorgensen52 (Post 7824410)
I like! Getting a real strong C2 Corvette vibe from that.

Thanks JJ. I really do like early 'vettes so maybe that helped with inspiration.

We continued cutting on the hood so now the center will be hood the sides will be welded to the fenders and the front will be part of the grille surround

62stepside longbox 01-15-2017 11:42 PM

Looking good Dale, I like the corvette vibe. Now with the lights in the hood what are you going to do with the space where they were originally mounted? Some sort of custom grille?

mjh1965 01-16-2017 03:19 AM

Great work as usual Dale . Nice to see the 67 looking like a truck again.
I like your hand control picture as I am always interested in seeing different types from different countries. As you know I fit them for a living .
Can't wait to see the sub build finished . amazing work

65sub 01-16-2017 09:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 62stepside longbox (Post 7827834)
Looking good Dale, I like the corvette vibe. Now with the lights in the hood what are you going to do with the space where they were originally mounted? Some sort of custom grille?

Thanks Nik. We plan to make a completely new grille opening and put turn signals where the headlights used to be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 7827933)
Great work as usual Dale . Nice to see the 67 looking like a truck again.
I like your hand control picture as I am always interested in seeing different types from different countries. As you know I fit them for a living .
Can't wait to see the sub build finished . amazing work

Thanks Martin. Any time you want to talk hand controls I'm interested. I use several different designs and have something unique planned for this truck

We decided we should stiffen the edges of the new panels so we used a hood brace and cut it in half . Then we clamped it to the top of the new fender and tacked it on

65sub 01-25-2017 10:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The front fenders we were using are really beat up so we decided to get some repo fenders that arrived this week. They look pretty good but the grille surround piece is installed wrong but that shouldn't be a problem. We also made a piece to reinforce the back edge of the new grille surround.