The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project Vitamin C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=248460)

joe231 02-28-2009 09:41 PM

Re: My 1965 build thread

would look slicker, but man......it's all ready painted.........

jonzcustomshop 02-28-2009 09:55 PM

I would weld it up!
I ran into all sorts of alignment issues with my oe fenders and support...
another Idea.. when you get to the hood, weld up the seams on the front of that too.

BTW are you going to paint the grille surround black with the white stripe , like the factory did?

aggie91 02-28-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3172404)
Thanks Joe

I was going back thru my pix I posted and noticed and thought it might look cleaner to weld up the joint in the fender to make it flow better into the mount panel. What do ya'll think?

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08910.jpg

Alan, your doing a great job on your truck. I am truly jealous of your skills.

I did the mod your asking about to mine back in the early 90's. It turned out slick. One note about it...The grill support panel has a body line along the lower part that lines up with that seam int he fender. If you weld up the seam, then you will need to do something with that body line so that it "flows" together correctly. I almost welded my fenders to the grill support panel for a smooth look, but my father suggested that I don't in case of a fender bender...for once I listened to him and he was right. Six months later I was fixing the passenger fender because of some old lady in a parking lot...

I too am learning just from you thread. Keep it coming...

Strodder 02-28-2009 11:13 PM

I also agree that you shouldn't weld up those seams. It will look good but might not be practical. The hood seams sounds like a good idea though.

Alan's Classic 02-28-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3172427)
would look slicker, but man......it's all ready painted.........

I'm planning on repainting the fenders anyway cause I'm not happy with them. Yeah it's another project that will slow me down even more, but I think I will be happier. I've already welded up one bedside seam and plan on welding up the hood as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop (Post 3172463)
I would weld it up!
I ran into all sorts of alignment issues with my oe fenders and support...
another Idea.. when you get to the hood, weld up the seams on the front of that too.

BTW are you going to paint the grille surround black with the white stripe , like the factory did?

thanks Jon, I am plannign on painting the headlight mount panel and grill orange. The bumper will be the same color as the frame. I don't want any chrome anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 3172464)
Alan, your doing a great job on your truck. I am truly jealous of your skills.

I did the mod your asking about to mine back in the early 90's. It turned out slick. One note about it...The grill support panel has a body line along the lower part that lines up with that seam int he fender. If you weld up the seam, then you will need to do something with that body line so that it "flows" together correctly. I almost welded my fenders to the grill support panel for a smooth look, but my father suggested that I don't in case of a fender bender...for once I listened to him and he was right. Six months later I was fixing the passenger fender because of some old lady in a parking lot...

I too am learning just from you thread. Keep it coming...

Thanks for the advice. That had to suck getting hit. Thanks for the comments.

OK, I'm drivin' myself crazy with the steering columns. As ya'll well know It will cost $85 to repair the van column. I have the first tilt column still that I used to align my dash. That is why the van tilt has such a big gap between the column and dash. The first column has a fatter shroud around it. I don't know what it came out of. I'm thinking something like a 80's truck. It has a number on it if it matters "7DS7827313" I haven't researched it yet, but I need to know how it goes back together. I've got a bucket full of washers, clips etc. I also have to remove the hole for the lock cylinder and the mechanism that locks the steering column. Who knows what other problems I will run into if I use this column.

Here is the difference in the columns. The van column is orange

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08919.jpg

The lock cylinder hole that needs to be filled

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08921.jpg

I believe I need to remove this wheel lock mechanism cause there won't be a lock cylinder to actuate it to release the steering wheel. Is this right?

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08922.jpg

Also test fit the upper panels on the radiator support. Both lined up good.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08916.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08917.jpg

Alan's Classic 02-28-2009 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3172618)
I also agree that you shouldn't weld up those seams. It will look good but might not be practical. The hood seams sounds like a good idea though.

I'm not sure if we are on the same page. I'm just talking about welding the seam in the fender. I'm not welding the fender to the mount panel. That would be very unpractical (sp).

Strodder 03-01-2009 12:02 AM

I guess I was not paying attention.:smoke:

4dranch 03-01-2009 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking sharp Alan. I want to ask a question, what is the hole for on the right radiator support, is it for the radiator overflow tube? thats where mine runs to.

Alan's Classic 03-01-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4dranch (Post 3172731)
Looking sharp Alan. I want to ask a question, what is the hole for on the right radiator support, is it for the radiator overflow tube? thats where mine runs to.

Thanks David. I don't know for sure this is the only pic I have that is remotely close to showing it. It kind of looks like what you said.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...vytruck002.jpg

collins10672 03-01-2009 01:54 AM

i know it would be very impractical to do to a brand new fender,but i have heard that some people don't like the fitting of the repro fenders at the front where they mount to the grille panel and they have drilled out the spot welds at the front and replaced it with the piece from the original fender to get that factory look.i have no problem with the repro fenders except that i dont like the little area up front at the corner where the little gap is.could have made it correct to begin with.also alan are you using the new repro doors or going with original ones?if you are not using the new ones are they not exact reproductions?thanks alot.truck is looking nice man..............

ol Curt 03-01-2009 10:18 AM

Alan, I think it would look very sharp to fill in the gap in the fender. Especially so if you could keep that same contour, or edge, moving from the center piece to the fender.

By the way, I would buy your video, and I have a friend who was *****ing about working on an old door yesterday that would probably buy it too. :lol:

I rented the video for doing rockers and floor pans on a 67-72. It was good, but it was annoying to have the sound fade out as he was turning his head and having to wait for him to use a remote to zoom in. It would be much better with a partner filming.

4dranch 03-01-2009 12:08 PM

Thanks Alan.

jgh64pkup 03-01-2009 03:35 PM

alan why dont you just buy an ididit column it seems like it would be easier

joe231 03-01-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3173693)

yeah if you got $300-$500 to burn:uhmk:
i find it hard to spend that kinda cash when i can get a van column for$40-$80

ruffrida2005 03-01-2009 04:11 PM

That's what my problem was, either a Idiit column or another one. I just picked up a 70 c10 tilt floor shift column for $50.

Strodder 03-01-2009 08:24 PM

I just bought a Camaro Tilt column for 75 bucks.

http://belair.smugmug.com/photos/470116521_SVNCS-M.jpg

Alan's Classic 03-01-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup (Post 3173693)

I have shut the budget off for the truck due to lack of money. If I had the money I'd get a Flammin' River column. I'm taking a gamble on buying this parts truck so I can get the hood and part out the rest. I hope to make my money back and have a little coinage to get a few parts. So basically it's labor time (I can afford that) for me unless I can do a little side work or sell some parts to make a few dollars. i might start on my body work video I want to sell. That would help out some. As long as I could sell more than 4.:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3173701)
yeah if you got $300-$500 to burn:uhmk:
i find it hard to spend that kinda cash when i can get a van column for$40-$80

;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruffrida2005 (Post 3173741)
That's what my problem was, either a Idiit column or another one. I just picked up a 70 c10 tilt floor shift column for $50.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3174253)
I just bought a Camaro Tilt column for 75 bucks.

Cool X2

Strodder 03-02-2009 10:45 AM

I hear ya Allan. Out of money here too. Need to sell some of those parts left over parts from the 73 & 65. But I still have a lot of labor left to do that will keep me busy.

FreeRideYZ250 03-03-2009 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 3169473)
Thanks Jon, do you have a pic of the materials you bought at Ace to build the hide-a-way tail light that you talked about in the "Short stuff Blazer thread".

Boy you can tell I ain't right in the head (more than usual) :lol: since I've been beat down. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I've done that 100's of times at work. I need to get a replacement switch. The one I was going to use is cracked where the turn signal lever screws into. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I.............I'm always open to new ideas.

:agree:

I apologize guys. I got consumed with a garage cleaning project over the weekend. If I wasn't moving junk in or out of the garage, I was sleeping. Will shoot some photos asap. :mm:

tommys66 03-03-2009 02:35 AM

Hey allan, when you do your final fit on the front clip what fender bolts are you going to use? I am a long ways away from fitting, but have been pondering what to use, paint or ss or chrome. One thing I thought might work (never tried) use a thin neoprene washer on the fender bolts to keep from dammaging the paint when tightened.

bosephus 03-03-2009 07:33 AM

Well Alan,you could add one more video to that for a grand total of 5 'cause I would buy one!Very nice work man:metal:

Alan's Classic 03-03-2009 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommys66 (Post 3176966)
Hey allan, when you do your final fit on the front clip what fender bolts are you going to use? I am a long ways away from fitting, but have been pondering what to use, paint or ss or chrome. One thing I thought might work (never tried) use a thin neoprene washer on the fender bolts to keep from dammaging the paint when tightened.

Stainless steel is my choice the washers might not be a bad idea. Then once everything is locked down in place I might remove all of the washers one-by-one if I didn't like the looks of it. Doing the fitment now, the bolts are doing some damage. I could just use some SS washers and that would help tremendesly. Thanks for the input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bosephus (Post 3177064)
Well Alan,you could add one more video to that for a grand total of 5 'cause I would buy one!Very nice work man:metal:

:thumbs:

kizer 03-03-2009 07:06 PM

They always say the you get what you put into the prep. Man Alan you can tell you busted your butt. Those orange panels look awesome.

As for the washers like mentioned I'd either go with stainless steel or grab some washers and paint them the same color as your panels. I'd rather chew up paint on some washers than the sheet metal.

Man that truck of yours is going to be unreal when its done.

gostranger 03-03-2009 07:20 PM

wow as every one has already said here this truck build is what i dream of doing to mine but then i wake up and come to my sences super nice work cant wait to see it done i hope to help you out with some cash for some of the parts you have for sale thanks for taking the time to record your progress it helps all of us alot!!! i love the forum and all of the help it has given me it is people like you that make it so good!!!!!!!!!

jgarverick 03-03-2009 07:29 PM

this is awesome. i think my next one is going to be a 60-63 4wd. just think all i need is time, money and ambition....

Strodder 03-03-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgarverick (Post 3178061)
this is awesome. i think my next one is going to be a 60-63 4wd. just think all i need is time, money and ambition....

THAT"S ALL???? :haha::haha::haha:

jgarverick 03-03-2009 10:22 PM

well, i figure my lack of talent and skill can be overcome... just throw some more money at it!!!

kizer 03-03-2009 11:58 PM

Alan I was looking through an LMCtruck catalog and unless I'm mistaking that part you where looking for for your steering column is 34-0050 for a 1960 and 34-0051 for a 61-62 and is #13 and lists for 49.94 on page 75. I don't see a listing for a 63-66 though.

kizer 03-04-2009 12:07 AM

Wait a minute maybe its #18 on page 89 36-0604 listed for 49.95.

Alan's Classic 03-04-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3178027)
They always say the you get what you put into the prep. Man Alan you can tell you busted your butt. Those orange panels look awesome.

As for the washers like mentioned I'd either go with stainless steel or grab some washers and paint them the same color as your panels. I'd rather chew up paint on some washers than the sheet metal.

Man that truck of yours is going to be unreal when its done.

Thanks, They did come out pretty nice. I'll block them down with 400 and get some color where I missed a little and reclear.

I will use SS with SS washers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gostranger (Post 3178051)
wow as every one has already said here this truck build is what i dream of doing to mine but then i wake up and come to my sences super nice work cant wait to see it done i hope to help you out with some cash for some of the parts you have for sale thanks for taking the time to record your progress it helps all of us alot!!! i love the forum and all of the help it has given me it is people like you that make it so good!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much. My dream is of mine being done also, then wake up to a laundry list of things that have to get done. I wish I could concentrate on just one thing til that one project is done. I get out there and find something to do then the next day I'm on to something else. It will all come together in time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgarverick (Post 3178061)

I have a little time and ambition, but funds are extinct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3178305)
THAT"S ALL???? :haha:

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgarverick (Post 3178491)
well, i figure my lack of talent and skill can be overcome... just throw some more money at it!!!

:sumo: Do you need someone to do some work for you on your truck.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3178715)
Alan I was looking through an LMCtruck catalog and unless I'm mistaking that part you where looking for for your steering column is 34-0050 for a 1960 and 34-0051 for a 61-62 and is #13 and lists for 49.94 on page 75. I don't see a listing for a 63-66 though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3178741)
Wait a minute maybe its #18 on page 89 36-0604 listed for 49.95.

Thanks for taking the time to look that info up. But, the turn signal switch is for a 79 van tilt (I think) At least the autozone pic looks to be just like what mine looks like. Read futher down to see what's being done now.

I decided for now to try this column again. Since it was used to align my dash. I really don't know what it came out of. If I had to guess it looks like a mid 80's truck column. This first pic shows that the collar around the column needs to be shortened 2".

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08923.jpg

Here is a pic of it being shortened.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08931.jpg

The gap looks better don't it Strodder? I've got the column shimmed up with what ever was close to me. Need to weld some nuts in place to mount it.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08929.jpg

Nuetral safety needs to be relocated.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08927.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08928.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08925.jpg

jgarverick 03-04-2009 01:32 AM

nah i don't need anyone to do work on it, even if i did it wouldn't matter cause i couldn't afford it anyways :) its ok though, like most of the guys on here i wouldn't have it any other way... i like things to be mine, know what i mean? bye the way that dash looks awesome, still trying to figure out what i'm gonna do with mine.

Strodder 03-04-2009 10:15 AM

Looks a lot better Allan. That gap wouldn't cut it. Glad you rethunk it. :gi:

kizer 03-04-2009 12:49 PM

79 Tilt. Go figure. You do have a car dash in there so what was I thinking. ;) hahaha

Alan's Classic 03-04-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgarverick (Post 3178936)
nah i don't need anyone to do work on it, even if i did it wouldn't matter cause i couldn't afford it anyways :) its ok though, like most of the guys on here i wouldn't have it any other way... i like things to be mine, know what i mean? bye the way that dash looks awesome, still trying to figure out what i'm gonna do with mine.

I understand,;) You trying to decide on a custom dash?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strodder (Post 3179243)
Looks a lot better Allan. That gap wouldn't cut it. Glad you rethunk it. :gi:

I thought you might like it. Like I said before this column I'm using now is the one I fitted my dash with. It had that big collar on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kizer (Post 3179462)
79 Tilt. Go figure. You do have a car dash in there so what was I thinking. ;) hahaha

:lol: Sometimes I don't even know what I have.:lol:

Nothing much going on at work. I took a door in and worked on it there and of course I forgot the slicksand. Hopefully I can remember it tommorrow. I'm going to take my other door in as well. I'll go ahead and paint them while they are there.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08934.jpg

neto 03-04-2009 09:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Alan I need your help I'm doing my rockers. Is there suppose to be a gap/trench like the pictures show? Thank you
Ernest

Alan's Classic 03-04-2009 09:53 PM

Looks like your doing a great job. That gap you are referring to is where the wires will lay. The flange is where the weatherstrip attaches. I don't have a good pic of it being done showing the gap. Here is mine before surgery. You can see a wire running thru there and the gap. The spot weld go down in that area onto top of the inner rocker. I guess I should have took some better pix.:lol:

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...truck029-1.jpg

neto 03-04-2009 10:05 PM

Thank you Alan. Now just going to check my door gap before I weld it in place.

Alan's Classic 03-05-2009 12:19 AM

Ya'll ever start on a project and half way thru it you ask yourself what the hell was I thinking? :lol: Well tonight was a perfect example for me. I went out with the full intentions of getting the column done so I can get it ready for paint. I did get the upper nuts tacked in place. i then took the column out to work on the nuetral safety switch. My thinking was I could duplicate the openings, so that is what proceeded to do.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08960.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...2/DSC08963.jpg

I was taking step by step pix to share with ya'll. Once I got to this point is when it hit me..........That's stupid you dumb A$$. My thinking is I can cut out a square around the original location and move it up the column. The piece I cut out can fill the hole where the original one was. It will be alot cleaner and will allow me more access to the inner shaft so I can cut it as well. I will weld the piece I cut out tonight back in and start over. Don't ya'll think that would be better?:smoke:

protrash64 03-05-2009 12:50 AM

Sorry, I dont follow what you are pointing out; you did a good job with the tape, however:lol:.

Alan's Classic 03-05-2009 12:56 AM

Maybe this will help out. Weld the piece I cut out and start over by doing this.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/o...DSC08962-1.jpg