The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

cubber 06-20-2013 12:34 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Hey, Dan! Just read through because I saw this on the budget build thread. I love your truck, and your attention to detail makes it even better! It's also cool to see that y'all support and help each other over here just like we do in the 67-72 section. Really cool.

Dan in Pasadena 06-20-2013 02:17 PM

Thank you Cubber for taking the time to read all my blah, blah, blah. Glad you like what I've done so far. I'm enjoying her, though its taking me longer than I thought it would...but everyone's got that complaint!
Posted via Mobile Device

dubie 06-20-2013 02:59 PM

i have found that over the years of building other trucks that whatever time frame I estimate it to take, realistically, I need to triple that.

You've come a long way in a short amount of time with your truck Dan. It's turned out to be a pretty damn nice looking driver

Dan in Pasadena 06-20-2013 03:43 PM

Thanks so much Tim.

For it to be a driver I feel comfortable in I need to move the gas tank out back, get the seat belts & dual MC (I already have) installed , and connect the existing Chevelle or Camaro emergency brake cables to the stock under-dash handle. I also need to figure out how to replace the mechanical water temp guage with an electric one from a '56 into it. There are a few differences I've gotta figure out.

After all that (really only a solid weekend's work if I can ever clear the time) I'll pull the bed to wire wheel & paint the frame, pull the dog house and do the same to the front frame and engine, etc. those are things I'm actually looking forward to.
Posted via Mobile Device

G&R's57GMC 06-20-2013 08:32 PM

Dan keep at it and get to the Brothers Show ! I know you can :)

Oh and keep your eye off the Bling, Bling stuff or we'll have to start you on a 12 step program :)

Dan in Pasadena 06-20-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 6133927)
....Oh and keep your eye off the Bling, Bling stuff or we'll have to start you on a 12 step program :)

Ha Ha, it may be too late, I think I'm on the "chrome crack pipe"! The other day while browsing catalogs I found myself ogling the chrome seat adjustment handle! Talk about an obscure part to chrome or even care about!:lol:

Its looking like a longshot for me to make the Brothers Show. I WAS supposed to help my stepson move up in Atascadero this weekend but the home he is purchasing had some hang-ups and now it's looking like it'll be next weekend. Only a slim chance I can get back late Saturday night.

But I WILL be working on my truck this weekend since I now have time. Trying to get the seat belts in, the door repair done on at least one door so I can paint and put on the weather stripping. That way I'll only have one door rattling instead of stereo!

Dan in Pasadena 06-27-2013 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6111316)
Dan, How are you coming along on patching the speaker holes? When I replaced the bottoms of my doors I didn't think I would be able to get them perfect so I masked off a section of the inside lower portion of my doors and sprayed them with paintable undercoating...

I tried this the other day on one door and the results for me were kinda....meh... I need a little more uniform texture. I am thinking of sanding/scraping it off and possibly trying a little roll on bed texture stuff. Not sure if I'll like that or not.

In hindsight my welding is the culprit. I'm getting a little real world lesson on the importance of fit-up - DOH!

Dan in Pasadena 06-27-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6111316)
Dan, How are you coming along on patching the speaker holes? When I replaced the bottoms of my doors I didn't think I would be able to get them perfect so I masked off a section of the inside lower portion of my doors and sprayed them with paintable undercoating...

UPDATE: Today I FINALLY had my old sandblasted, severe wiper-scratched windshield replaced. Used a little shop up in Sun Valley. And of course because it was HOT!!!! in SoCal today I ran out of gas on the freeway offramp. Sweated my butt off waiting for AAA, but they saved my foolish butt.

WOW, what a difference the windshield makes! It fits perfectly in 3 of 4 corners (DOH!). The driver's side upper inside corner rubber just would not lay flat. They worked on it almost three hours. They even removed the windshield twice and reinstalled it. Outside the rubber lays down perfectly flat all around. Inside too except that one corner. Tried using a heat gun too. It didn't make a difference, stayed puckered up. It was that way with the old rubber too though. I THINK its probably the rubber. I'm going back in a couple weeks to have my big back window R&R'ed with Steele Rubber. If it comes out good I'll order Steele for the front too.

iPhone is giving me trouble mailing photos so I can't show you anything right now, sorry.

fabguy 06-28-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6146213)
UPDATE: Today I FINALLY had my old sandblasted, severe wiper-scratched windshield replaced. Used a little shop up in Sun Valley. And of course because it was HOT!!!! in SoCal today I ran out of gas on the freeway offramp. Sweated my butt off waiting for AAA, but they saved my foolish butt.

WOW, what a difference the windshield makes! It fits perfectly in 3 of 4 corners (DOH!). The driver's side upper inside corner rubber just would not lay flat. They worked on it almost three hours. They even removed the windshield twice and reinstalled it. Outside the rubber lays down perfectly flat all around. Inside too except that one corner. Tried using a heat gun too. It didn't make a difference, stayed puckered up. It was that way with the old rubber too though. I THINK its probably the rubber. I'm going back in a couple weeks to have my big back window R&R'ed with Steele Rubber. If it comes out good I'll order Steele for the front too.

iPhone is giving me trouble mailing photos so I can't show you anything right now, sorry.

Congrats Dan, feels good too see where your really going, I was so used to druving the suburban that has the same windshield and when my new one was installed on my truck it was amazing. Even though I haven't driven it yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 06-28-2013 08:10 AM

New windshield is my next upgrade. My new chrome for it came this week so I am hoping to get it done within the next couple of weeks. I had eye surgery two days ago so I'm not moving too fast right now. I definitely will need to get the wiper arm problem resolved before I put wipers back on the new windshield.

Kim57 06-28-2013 12:25 PM

Congrats on the new glass.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 06-28-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 6146506)
...I had eye surgery two days ago...

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Hope you'll fully recover.

Thanks guys for the congrats. The new windshield is the green tint with the band across the top. I know it's not everyone's favorite but I like it because I remember my Dad's '59 Fleetside had that. Bring back old memories.

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2013 03:35 PM

Just thought I'd mention that a HAMB member hooked me up with a good deal on the Altman latch kit for our trucks so I ordered that yesterday. I'm excited about getting it and (finally) not having to worry about my doors flying over - as they have done - and losing something...or someone, lol.

:flagw:HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY Ladies and Gentlemen!:flagw:

Have a wonderful holiday. Keep safe with fireworks & barbeques so you can still work on your trucks afterward.

Remember we're celebrating our freedom to be our own country with our own ideas of how to be a great ... and it worked! Thanks to all you service members; current and former, for your service...we wouldn't have what we do without all of you!

Kim57 07-04-2013 04:23 PM

Happy 4th to you also.
Be sure and post the install of the latch kit.
Kim

87Lowrider 07-04-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 4792805)
Thanks Kim. It still looks like Fred Sanford's truck on the outside, but under the hood I can be proud. I'm planning on more block touch up and cleaning/painting the engine compartment and accessories.

Going through the complete thread. Your truck reminds me of mine when I got it in '89 in Riverside. It may look like Fred Sanford's, but look at it this way; A lot of people pay big money to have the outside of the truck look like yours... keep up the great work! My '57 is in the shop now after sitting in my garage for 24 years.... can't wait to get it back and finish it up. /Ken

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 6156884)
Happy 4th to you also.
Be sure and post the install of the latch kit.
Kim

Absolutely will. I plan to take a photo or two at each step.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87Lowrider (Post 6156927)
....It may look like Fred Sanford's....

It does?!!! Lol

Actually, it looked like a truck that even Fred Sanford wouldn't drive when I got it so I take that as a compliment. I'm enjoying it and that's all that really matters to me.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to read through all my yada yada. I tend to get wordy.
Posted via Mobile Device

_Ogre 07-04-2013 07:30 PM

no pics of the windshield?
didn't happen :D

:wop:

Baldeagle SR 07-04-2013 07:36 PM

Dan where did you get the door latch kit from?
Thanks Rich

87Lowrider 07-04-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6157011)
It does?!!! Lol

Actually, it looked like a truck that even Fred Sanford wouldn't drive when I got it so I take that as a compliment. I'm enjoying it and that's all that really matters to me.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to read through all my yada yada. I tend to get wordy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm only on page 10. The suspense is killing me but I won't cheat. :lol:

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Ogre (Post 6157105)
no pics of the windshield?
didn't happen :D

:wop:

Ha ha, using my own words against me huh?

I DID take pics with my iPhone but I'm having trouble emailing them to my laptop so I can upload to photobucket. Tried the cord and still didn't work. I need a trip to the geeks at the wonderbar at the Apple store.

As for the Altman latch kit, a HAMB member PM'd me with an offer. I didn't get it from a retailer. I will PM him again and ask if he'll extend the offer to others.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87Lowrider (Post 6157135)
I'm only on page 10. The suspense is killing me but I won't cheat. :lol:

Slacker!! Lol.

And here I thought you'd gone through the whole thing. Trust me it doesn't look all THAT different after the first 10 pages. You'll just find out I'm a self admitted chrome whore! My buddy says a rattle canned 50 year old truck with a lot of chrome is like a wrinkled up old..."lady of the evening" with red lipstick and too much cheap jewelry! I told him I don't care, I LIKE it.
Posted via Mobile Device

87Lowrider 07-04-2013 09:17 PM

... watching the NCIS Marathon, just finished the thread.

Great find! Solid truck (as most in SoCal are). I dolly'd mine back to KY from Riverside in '92.

Keep up the great work. (I'll be watching) /Ken

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2013 11:07 PM

Thanks Ken. I was at a family BBQ and the NCIS marathon was on too!

Thanks for the kind words. Please take in process photos of your truck at the body shop and post them, I'd love to see it take shape.

Baldeagle SR 07-05-2013 09:25 AM

As for the Altman latch kit, a HAMB member PM'd me with an offer. I didn't get it from a retailer. I will PM him again and ask if he'll extend the offer to others.
Posted
Thanks Dan
Rich

hp1957 07-10-2013 10:10 PM

Dan, Rec. IFS for freeway driving. I'm using Bill's Hot Rod Co. a/c & alt bracket on my 57 chevy stepside mounts on waterpump & intake manifold. P/S pump & bracket you can find at the wrecking yard.

Big cam in your truck, Use a remote vacuum reservoir or hydroboost brake master cylinder.
Mounted remote vacuum reservoir on my bro 67 chevelle ss convertible & power brakes work great.

Harvey
1957 Chevy Stepside
1958 GMC Fleetside C4 build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=535686&page=3

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/3905/fq4d.jpg

fabguy 07-10-2013 10:13 PM

Dan,
Bills hot rods is right down the street from me. Probably 1/2 mile away so it is very local to you too. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-10-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hp1957 (Post 6167000)
Dan, Rec. IFS for freeway driving. I'm using Bill's Hot Rod Co. a/c & alt bracket on my 57 chevy stepside mounts on waterpump & intake manifold. P/S pump & bracket you can find at the wrecking yard.

Big cam in your truck, Use a remote vacuum reservoir or hydroboost brake master cylinder.
Mounted remote vacuum reservoir on my bro 67 chevelle ss convertible & power brakes work great.

Harvey
1957 Chevy Stepside
1958 GMC Fleetside C4 build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=535686&page=3

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/3905/fq4d.jpg

Hi Harvey. Thanks for thinking of me.

Yup, I'm aware of Bill's brackets. IF I use them I think I'd buy the full set as pictured to sort of "balance" the appearance. In that photo it looks like the AC compressor and alternator really stick up high. Not sure how I'd feel about that but it may be the only alternative.

As for hydroboost; yeah I'm aware that's an option too. But I think I should probably consider swapping the cam before doing all that. Then the truck would run better too!

Remote vacuum reservoir? I am not familiar with that but it must be just a big can of some type, huh? I'll have to Google that and do some reading. Thanks again. - Dan

mknittle 07-10-2013 10:51 PM

:lol:I like some of these. not cheap though.
http://marchperf.com/index.html

you are correct on the vacuum reservoir some factory ones looked like un opened sliced pineapple cans with a couple tubes soldered on them. I think I have one I'll see if I can find it and get a picture.

Dan in Pasadena 07-10-2013 11:28 PM

Outstanding....but not cheap. Plus I don't see any mention of whether they fit early heads without bolt holes in the heads?

mknittle 07-11-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6167132)
Outstanding....but not cheap. Plus I don't see any mention of whether they fit early heads without bolt holes in the heads?

That makes it tougher for sure. I am having the same problem with my 250.
Looks like I will be making some brackets.:lol: Oh well the fun continues.:lol:

Russell Ashley 07-11-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6167132)

If you are using the original style front motor mounts you can't use that style mount for the power steering pump either.

Dan in Pasadena 07-12-2013 12:17 AM

Honestly? I haven't the slightest idea what motor mounts I have, DUH!

I welded shut three holes on each door panel today. The original owner had installed some pretty ugly (and huge!) rubber armrests with molded in door pulls. I ground the welds down with a flap disc - TRYING not to get too hot, not sure I succeeded - and mixed up a little Bondo to smooth things out a bit.

Tomorrow I'll sand and prime in preparation for my "final" (for a while) rattle can two-tone paint job in my revised (temporary) color palette of Rustoleum Oregano and Almond.

I forgot to take a picture of this work but took this generic one after washing it:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps67381d49.jpg

Baldeagle SR 07-12-2013 12:30 AM

Very nice.
Rich

Daze57 07-12-2013 12:41 AM

looks v v nice

Dan in Pasadena 07-12-2013 01:00 AM

Thanks guys. She's still at "nose bleed" height. Not sure how soon I'll be able to afford to do anything about that? Maybe just pull a few leaves out of the pack - the only problem with that is the front has 5 leaves on one side and six(!) on the other.

Do I only need shorter U bolts to try this out? Yes, I know to get 6 degree caster wedges at NAPA. But I've never searched for U bolts before so will my local chain auto parts store have them? Home Depot? OSH?

Number 9 07-12-2013 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6168862)
Honestly? I haven't the slightest idea what motor mounts I have, DUH!

I welded shut three holes on each door panel today. The original owner had installed some pretty ugly (and huge!) rubber armrests with molded in door pulls. I ground the welds down with a flap disc - TRYING not to get too hot, not sure I succeeded - and mixed up a little Bondo to smooth things out a bit.

Tomorrow I'll sand and prime in preparation for my "final" (for a while) rattle can two-tone paint job in my revised (temporary) color palette of Rustoleum Oregano and Almond.

I forgot to take a picture of this work but took this generic one after washing it:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps67381d49.jpg

Looks great. You have a nice truck there.

Dan in Pasadena 07-12-2013 01:43 AM

Thank you No. 9.

At the little local car night at In 'N Out tonight a couple guys seemed surprised that the paint was rattle can stuff. I wish I could say I have some special trick with spray cans but I don't. I guess I guess it's just good stuff.

mknittle 07-12-2013 09:35 AM

Truck looks good Dan. I like that style wheels.

mknittle 07-12-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6168906)
Thanks guys. She's still at "nose bleed" height. Not sure how soon I'll be able to afford to do anything about that? Maybe just pull a few leaves out of the pack - the only problem with that is the front has 5 leaves on one side and six(!) on the other.

Do I only need shorter U bolts to try this out? Yes, I know to get 6 degree caster wedges at NAPA. But I've never searched for U bolts before so will my local chain auto parts store have them? Home Depot? OSH?

U bolts and center bolts. Napa should Have them. if you need wedges I would get the steel ones from a 4X4 shop. some are cast aluminum and break apart. they can also cause electrolysis. 6 degrees of caster seems like quite a bit . I have always had good results with 4 degrees. Remember that the more caster the harder the steering. Especially if you have steering by Armstrong.