The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

idbeast 03-23-2020 11:55 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Bummer, the state of Washington is under a stay at home order from the governor, but as I was clocking out at the time clock, my boss handed me a Essential Worker Form, to show the police if I get pulled over going to or from work..... So much for my plans to work on the '56

mikebte 03-24-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idbeast (Post 8700956)
Bummer, the state of Washington is under a stay at home order from the governor, but as I was clocking out at the time clock, my boss handed me a Essential Worker Form, to show the police if I get pulled over going to or from work..... So much for my plans to work on the '56

Understand,
Being in the trucking world I also was lucky enough to get that letter and keep my job. Guess it could be worse.

nvrdone 03-24-2020 11:39 AM

interesting. im in the dental supply business and we will be shut down wed. night. maybe I should talk to my boss about that letter.
But I am enjoying the time off to work on the truck.

mikebte 03-24-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8701144)
interesting. im in the dental supply business and we will be shut down wed. night. maybe I should talk to my boss about that letter.
But I am enjoying the time off to work on the truck.

Enjoy the time if you can. The Letter I supply talks about transport in interstate commerce. This work is considered critical to the COVID-19 response and techs are vital in order to keep the trucks on the road.

Marty68 03-24-2020 02:48 PM

My Gov just ordered "stay at home" my employer has not decided if we stay or go...
I took my ride Sunday put about 100 miles on her. first real drive after suspension work.. best handling old truck I ever drove.
I plan on sorting out WOT burble then work on fitting new shifter.

MiraclePieCo 03-25-2020 05:50 PM

Dang, I was hoping to get a break from all this coronavirus talk.

mikebte 03-25-2020 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8701937)
Dang, I was hoping to get a break from all this coronavirus talk.

Lets break the Ice. I have my Drop springs and fuel tank and I spent some time today cleaning up around the garage prepping for the job and removing the bed for the fuel tank.

Kevin Mac 03-25-2020 10:55 PM

I still have been working on the 2004R swap (from a 350 turbo). I got it all in and running, the first test drive was not very good, had a vibration, it shifted in and out in and out when going to 2nd. Made a few phone calls and reserch on the web to find that I needed to tighten the TV cable. I had the correct bracket to relocate the cable but it sure didn't like it there.

I then made a carb mount with 3 holes to try and see which shifted the best. Next test was much better but the vibration had me scarred because I put Tracloc in the 9", which was another first for me setting up gears.

Dropped the driveshaft and took it to driveshaft shop and had new u joints and balanced, made another adjustment to TV cable and the next run was fun, no vibration and shifting was really getting there. Before I go any further, I bought the tranny on Market Place, but I trust the guy (he had a nice AD) and he held it for a couple months while we tried to figure out how to get to me without shipping. It was a rebuilt unit with a stage 1 build, not by any big name company, but never the less he was a transmission builder. He bought it for a Task Force that he never finished or installed.

Each time I changed the geomentry of the bracket I took carb to WOT and pulled TV tight. As I understand it, that makes the starting point of the TV cable putting more pressure on the clutches, at one test run it didn't shift until rpm was too high, so that was too far. I did talk to the builder and that is what he told me to do. move the cable end closer to the pivot.

Not real comfy with that method I put a pressure gauge on it and I think my pressures are a little low, but I'm not sure what all has been changed in transmission either. Forgot to mention that it did sit for couple years inside the guys shop, which agian I believe him as I have asked him a few questions and he is always willing to help.

I intalled a TCI lock up kit with the vacuum switch, manual on off switch and a 12 volt switch to kill it all if needed. The vac switch was kinda erratic so I did adjust that as well. Next up is installing a 12 volt time delay set at 8 sec so when the vac switch makes, it will delay 8 seconds before it locks up the convertor, in hopes that it will calm down the in and out of the lockup.
whew that was a lot of typing for hands of kinda guy.
Mac
48 chevy, 78 gbody clip, ford 9 inch 3:56 gears, 383 stroker, 4 link, hydroboost and AC!

mikebte 03-26-2020 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Mac (Post 8702151)
I still have been working on the 2004R swap (from a 350 turbo). I got it all in and running, the first test drive was not very good, had a vibration, it shifted in and out in and out when going to 2nd. Made a few phone calls and reserch on the web to find that I needed to tighten the TV cable. I had the correct bracket to relocate the cable but it sure didn't like it there.
48 chevy, 78 gbody clip, ford 9 inch 3:56 gears, 383 stroker, 4 link, hydroboost and AC!

Them TV cables can be a bit tricky. In my experience after setting the pressure I drive them and adjust them to my drive style. It's a small amount but you can fine tune it by moving it tight to looser until just right. Hope you get it right soon.

Kevin Mac 03-26-2020 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the first carb bracket, that is the only one I have seen online for Holley, mine is Quick Fuel but linkage looks the same. I built one with cable closer to pivot but the picture won't upload.
Mac

sshamu 03-27-2020 01:24 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Hauling Steel

I put my ride back to work today hauling steel for my metal building. With granny low, getting rolling is a piece of cake.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ing_truck1.jpg

DransportGarage 03-27-2020 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sshamu (Post 8702782)
I put my ride back to work today hauling steel for my metal building. With granny low, getting rolling is a piece of cake.

Nice lookin' truck!

mikebte 03-27-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Don't let Hagerty see this! They would drop you in a heart beat. LOL
They turned me down the first time because I had a hitch.
Sweet looking truck and good to see it working. I want that bed!

:jdp:

nvrdone 03-27-2020 03:40 PM

that's interesting that Haggerty turned you down. I had planned to tow my Sanger flat bottom with the truck when it's up and running. I think I need to talk to my insurance agent about this.

MARTINSR 03-27-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Ohhhhh damn that's cool!

Brian:metal:

Northern 52 03-29-2020 04:17 PM

With the lock-down in place and no where to go, I spent the last two days working on Fuel lines, trans cooler lines, the Lokar floor shifter, and the transmission tunnel. I had the cab off and back on three times. Got it down to a science now with the cherry picker. I still need a bit of trimming the floor to get a bit more clearance for the fuel and coolant lines before the front half trans tunnel can be welded in place. I am planning a two part tunnel where the front half will be welded in to strengthen the floor and firewall since the firewall is recessed, and the back half will use the part of the old floor access panel and can be removable if need be. I haven't gotten this much done in a long time.

nvrdone 03-29-2020 10:46 PM

spent the biggest part of today working on my brakes. Lines, wheel cylinders, new shoes etc were all in place. today installed the booster, m/c, & pedal linkage. got the front brakes blead. maybe tomorrow I can bleed the rear brakes. see, there are some advantages to being locked down at home.

Northern 52 03-30-2020 07:40 AM

What brand of booster / pedal arrangement did you go with? I'm almost at that point with my build.

Mine has a 5.7 Vortec crate engine with the original S10 4L60E.

nvrdone 03-30-2020 11:30 AM

Northern: its from Performance on line. bb2-t4755. its an under floor mount and works with front & rear drums, front disc / rear drum or disc / disc. depends on what proportioning valve you order. they say it may not work with a manual trans, but it clears my m21 just fine. Also, their tech support is great.

Marty68 03-31-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvrdone (Post 8703072)
that's interesting that Haggerty turned you down. I had planned to tow my Sanger flat bottom with the truck when it's up and running. I think I need to talk to my insurance agent about this.

here in Wisconsin if you have Antique Collector or Hobyist plates you are limited to #500 cargo and NO trailer towing. however if you had a vintage camper and were to be taking it to a "show" you may be able to talk your way out of a ticket.

DransportGarage 03-31-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8705786)
here in Wisconsin if you have Antique Collector or Hobyist plates you are limited to #500 cargo and NO trailer towing. however if you had a vintage camper and were to be taking it to a "show" you may be able to talk your way out of a ticket.

I have to ask myself, what on earth is the purpose of that stupid law? Are they thinking old vehicles aren't safe? Is the state losing revenue somehow, through licensing, etc.? Do the Wisconsin politicians have just too much time on their hands? I don't get it. The good news is, a violation would be so rare that the average cop wouldn't know it WAS a violation.

nvrdone 03-31-2020 01:44 PM

with the "virus vacation" as I call it, I spent time yesterday installing the m/c & booster & got the brakes bled. Now have a nice firm pedal with & without the engine running & vaccum applied. I left it on the jack stands over night & found a small drip of brake fluid under the right front drum. looks like the wheel cylinder is seeping a bit. time for a parts store run when my wife will let me out of the house.

Marty68 03-31-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DransportGarage (Post 8705793)
I have to ask myself, what on earth is the purpose of that stupid law? Are they thinking old vehicles aren't safe? Is the state losing revenue somehow, through licensing, etc.? Do the Wisconsin politicians have just too much time on their hands? I don't get it. The good news is, a violation would be so rare that the average cop wouldn't know it WAS a violation.

rules... it is to deter people from paying the $200 then never have to renew plates and use vehicle as a daily driver work truck.
kind of dumb but they need to fill pot holes somehow, I don't want to have to renew plates on the "not-rod" every year.
there was a big stink here last year- a guy with a rat rid got pulled over and was disrespectful to the Cop. he got a ticket for no hood no fenders etc. he appealed the tickets. they threw the tickets out but made him have the car inspected. it failed and the title stamped "off road use only"...BIG TADOO

DransportGarage 03-31-2020 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty68 (Post 8705897)
rules... it is to deter people from paying the $200 then never have to renew plates and use vehicle as a daily driver work truck.
kind of dumb but they need to fill pot holes somehow, I don't want to have to renew plates on the "not-rod" every year.
there was a big stink here last year- a guy with a rat rid got pulled over and was disrespectful to the Cop. he got a ticket for no hood no fenders etc. he appealed the tickets. they threw the tickets out but made him have the car inspected. it failed and the title stamped "off road use only"...BIG TADOO

I figured the mileage limitation would handle this. I'm sure Wisconsin, like here in Ohio, also have "purpose" limitations to (e.g., for parades, car shows, car club meetings, educational purposes, etc.) The "no trailers" and load limits seem extreme.

dsraven 03-31-2020 11:02 PM

ok, who would agree with this theory?
build vehicle from a bunch of parts of other vehicles, cut the frame weld in other partial frames, not by a ticketed welded, just hobbyist and home done stuff. then have the whole unit inspected PRIOR to going for insurance etc. of course the vehicle is labbelled as "modifyed for speed" etc if those headings apply, then the vehicle is registered and insured as whatever category it fits into and the owner would pay the insurance rate to be covered, properly, for the type of vehicle he has built. if the welding and other modifications pass the certified inspector at the certified inspection facility, it has all the lights and wipers etc, fenders if the state or province requires, proper set belts as per the laws of the country, etc etc. wouldn't that be a good thing? there have been guys on here talking about getting an old truck out of the field, dumping a big v8 engine in it over a weekend and being so excited they drove it down the road to their buddies place to show it off, WITH NO BRAKES!!!. i get it, it's exciting, but don't we also have an obligation to at least be safe on the same roads as others drive on?
on my build, it is inspected by the insurance bureau of Canada inspector who comes to my home and inspects the bill(s) of sale to say I bought the vehicle (or vehicles) and collects the original vin tags, checks reciepts for associated parts used, checks for parts that look like they are stolen etc. he attaches a new vin tag and it is classified as a vehicle built from parts. when I am done the project I take it, on a trailer, to a registered inspection facility and have an "out of province inspection" done. that is the in depth inspection but not as in depth as one for a vehicle written off and rebuilt. when it passes I take that paperwork to the provincial registries to have it put into the system. if i want to drive the vehicle then I would bring along the valid insurance. the vehicle is SAFE to drive on the roads with everybody elses' wives, kids, grandkids, school busses etc. not a bad way I guess.

thoughts?