The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

ACK 02-17-2013 07:17 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

3 Attachment(s)
Recently purchased a chunk of the parking brake cross member from Travis, cut it apart, cleaned, primed & painted, then today was the install. Also put the drive gear in to get the speedometer working. Amazing how a DMV inspection can motivate ya'.

Trsmotrhed 02-17-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopped up (Post 5894569)
The old springs look like they were heated up to me, for the old school drop
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know if they were or not. It did sit very high. I got them out of a 72 I got for the disk brakes and 5 lug rear. It rode like a wagon with those huge springs. It rides 100% better now. The old 63 springs had been heated and cut. What mess, truck sat crooked
Posted via Mobile Device

Trsmotrhed 02-17-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACK (Post 5895003)
Recently purchased a chunk of the parking brake cross member from Travis, cut it apart, cleaned, primed & painted, then today was the install. Also put the drive gear in to get the speedometer working. Amazing how a DMV inspection can motivate ya'.

I need that assembly also. You know anyone else that might have one? Looks great all cleaned up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trsmotrhed 02-17-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemifalcon (Post 5894425)
CPP sent me a set of those "wire gauge" springs for my suburban-- I was like "that $hit ain't gonna work!"

Did you end up using them and if you did, did you end up liking them? I drove all around town today to try then out and rode much better. Didn't get an upset an stomach. I don't plan on hauling anything heavy. I have my Duramax and trailer for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

steveb64 02-17-2013 08:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Test fitted my rebuilt Cad 500 engine and TH400 trans.

jayoldschool 02-17-2013 09:17 PM

Very nice. I'm the mod at the RWD section of the Cadillac Forum. Post it up there, the guys will love it. I've got an 81 Cadillac coupe with the bigblock/TH400.

CRGRS 66 02-18-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveb64 (Post 5895094)
Test fitted my rebuilt Cad 500 engine and TH400 trans.

Like a glove:metal:

Trsmotrhed 02-18-2013 07:55 PM

Signed up as a premium member :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

Hx16457 02-18-2013 08:23 PM

Ordered 700R4 mechanical speedo tail shaft kit! Looked at my truck that I thought only needed exhaust. Now a replacement trans is sitting on saw horses and awaiting parts!
Posted via Mobile Device

jcramsey 02-18-2013 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put mine to work today. Tore down a neighbors old shed and hauled it away....to my house :lol:

AngryPirate 02-18-2013 08:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cut out the rusted part on the tailgate that's going to eventually end up with the bed I have to fix up. Hand fab'd the patch panel. I little more filling welds and grinding and it'll be ready for a tiny bit of body filler, prep and paint!

jesseo 02-20-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sams60gmc (Post 3588003)
Whats up guys? So I did a search on this forum board and didn't see anything like this. But anyways I'm part of a forum board that is based out of Southern Oregon/ Northern California and they have a thread in there that is titled what did you do to your car today. It is pretty cool so I figued it would be cool to start one here. It can be as minor as an oil change or a wash job or as major as a cab swap and anything in between, its just cool to see what others do on thier trucks on a daily basis. Let me know what you guys think!
Cheers.

I am in Medford. We should swap truck stories some day.

TehNewGuy 02-23-2013 09:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Little late due to computer problems but I took the truck to her first Car Show! The Annual Classics by the bay, looks like a great day but it was cold... even for miami was 45 when we first rolled in. I was probly the rattiest truck there (no rat rods showed at all, and everyone elses car/truck was in pristine condition) But like a few guys mentioned my truck got in the line up when other people didn't even show up. Only 60-66 truck in the whole place! BOOM! First picture is the truck inbetween a buddies bagged 95 (he used to work there so they let him slide the truck in :lol:) and a 63 Belair. The other one is a little thing they give you for being in the show. wish I had taken more pictures of all the cars/trucks. Oh well, next time. Had Awsome time can't wait for another one...

Trsmotrhed 02-23-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNewGuy (Post 5907221)
Little late due to computer problems but I took the truck to her first Car Show! The Annual Classics by the bay, looks like a great day but it was cold... even for miami was 45 when we first rolled in. I was probly the rattiest truck there (no rat rods showed at all, and everyone elses car/truck was in pristine condition) But like a few guys mentioned my truck got in the line up when other people didn't even show up. Only 60-66 truck in the whole place! BOOM! First picture is the truck inbetween a buddies bagged 95 (he used to work there so they let him slide the truck in :lol:) and a 63 Belair. The other one is a little thing they give you for being in the show. wish I had taken more pictures of all the cars/trucks. Oh well, next time. Had Awsome time can't wait for another one...

That's cool you showed up and participated. We have a Rocky Mtn Nationals this June and my truck will no where be done. still debating putting mine in the show. Kinda intimidating :sumo: all the tricked out cars and trucks and mine not so show ready.
Posted via Mobile Device

64shortbox 02-23-2013 11:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well not today but over the Presidents 3 day holiday weekend - I pulled the motor & transmission, dropped the 64 suspension & spent an entire day scraping, degreasing & cleaning up the underside of my truck of 49 years of grease & gunk. I rented a pressure washer and thought I would be done in a couple of hours WRONG! How about most of the day. I would pressure wash the truck then the driveway under my truck, crawl under my truck and find more spots I missed. I did this many, many times until everything was completely clean (or so I thought) I then pressure washed my driveway, gutter & street of the residule grease off my truck, cleaned up and returned the pressure washer. Monday the holiday I THOUGHT I would do a little scuffing & sanding, paint teh frame & firewall but found the gutter was a mess after everything dried up not to mention I missed a "FEW" spots on the truck. So today after it warms up a bit, some final degreasing, scuffing and painting IF I can beat the incoming 15 MPH winds. If not I'll have to wait until sunday to do my painting & hopefully install my 75 rebuilt disc brake suspension.

markeb01 02-23-2013 12:01 PM

I can certainly appreciate what a thankless task that is. I just went through the same drill a year or so ago. Ugly, stinky, and messy. It might have gone a little easier if I could have hooked up to a hot water source, but my water heater is too far away and I don't have an industrial hose that could take the pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64shortbox (Post 5907399)
Well not today but over the Presidents 3 day holiday weekend - I pulled the motor & transmission, dropped the 64 suspension & spent an entire day scraping, degreasing & cleaning up the underside of my truck of 49 years of grease & gunk. I rented a pressure washer and thought I would be done in a couple of hours WRONG! How about most of the day. I would pressure wash the truck then the driveway under my truck, crawl under my truck and find more spots I missed. I did this many, many times until everything was completely clean (or so I thought) I then pressure washed my driveway, gutter & street of the residule grease off my truck, cleaned up and returned the pressure washer. Monday the holiday I THOUGHT I would do a little scuffing & sanding, paint teh frame & firewall but found the gutter was a mess after everything dried up not to mention I missed a "FEW" spots on the truck. So today after it warms up a bit, some final degreasing, scuffing and painting IF I can beat the incoming 15 MPH winds. If not I'll have to wait until sunday to do my painting & hopefully install my 75 rebuilt disc brake suspension.

markeb01 02-23-2013 12:10 PM

Good for you attending your first show. It can be a lot of fun no matter what you're driving. I've been to many shows where most of the cars had paint jobs that cost 10 times more than my whole truck is worth, and others where my truck was nearly the best vehicle attending. What I've found is that most participants and spectators like what they like, and the cost to build doesn't necessarily relate to popularity. I'm glad you had a good time. Don't feel too bad about not taking more pictures. The first show I attended I didn't even think about bringing a camera! I kicked myself and never made that mistake again.

By the way your truck looks great in the line up photo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNewGuy (Post 5907221)

wutnxt 02-23-2013 09:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am a little late......and it's not all the way in yet....but it's stuffed in pretty close.

rifraz 02-23-2013 10:13 PM

I have been sanding trying to locate problem areas. Found them. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

markeb01 02-24-2013 01:14 AM

I had good intentions of doing a walk-around video of the truck today since we had some very nice sunshine for a change. I modified an old plastic Wii pistol to stabilize the video camera, and then decided to take a nap. When I woke up it was dark out, so I don't have anything to show for the productive thinking! :lol:

CRGRS 66 02-24-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5908981)
I had good intentions of doing a walk-around video of the truck today since we had some very nice sunshine for a change. I modified an old plastic Wii pistol to stabilize the video camera, and then decided to take a nap. When I woke up it was dark out, so I don't have anything to show for the productive thinking! :lol:

I'm speechless Jerry... speechless:uhmk: hope you had a great nap:lol:

Hx16457 02-24-2013 02:33 PM

Well I added the mech speedometer parts to the 700r4 with proper driven and drive gears to match my 3.73dif w/29" tires. The added the torque convert lock up kit from TCI.
Then we (wife and I) put the trans in.
Now I am moving the crossmember and connecting the 12V power to the converter vacuum switch.
Side note; this is a used trans and I really hope it's good! The PO said it was fine when pulled, and I know the guy.... This is a lot of work to have to take it back out!
Posted via Mobile Device

dantimdad 02-24-2013 02:36 PM

Painted the engine. Didn't turn out quite as good as I wanted but, the parts that show look good.

Steven

Trsmotrhed 02-24-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hx16457 (Post 5909790)
Well I added the mech speedometer parts to the 700r4 with proper driven and drive gears to match my 3.73dif w/29" tires. The added the torque convert lock up kit from TCI.
Then we (wife and I) put the trans in.
Now I am moving the crossmember and connecting the 12V power to the converter vacuum switch.
Side note; this is a used trans and I really hope it's good! The PO said it was fine when pulled, and I know the guy.... This is a lot of work to have to take it back out!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hope it's a good one. Took the same gamble on engine tranny combo and works great. Sounds like you're doing a great job hooking it up and you have the wifey helping, that's awesome she's helping.
Posted via Mobile Device

CRGRS 66 02-24-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACK (Post 5895003)

Hey Ack
What is that parking brake arrangement from?

ACK 02-24-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5909900)
Hey Ack
What is that parking brake arrangement from?

The chunk I received included 2 small lengths of the brake cable, which had threaded rods instead of ball ends, so I think its from either a '63 C10 or GMC pickup.

I didn't want to replace the ball end cables on my '64, so I purchased parking brake cable connectors and used stainless bolts to tie everything together. I originally used the threaded rods by swaging aluminum stops onto them, but felt they weren't going to hold up so I went with the bolts and I'm much happier. Without the bolts and connectors, my p-brake cables are about 2" short of connecting.

Jackjohn 02-24-2013 04:40 PM

Installed ford relay, to cure heat soak. Drove round a while to get her hot.came home,killed it,started perfectly several times. Woohoo!!.one less thing to worry about.
Thanks for the FAQ index, I love it . I learn somthing new every time I look thru it.

John
Posted via Mobile Device

dantimdad 02-24-2013 08:30 PM

Forgot to post a pic of the painted engine.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps456bedab.jpg

I polished the button heads and put them on the timing cover.

I am trying to find a pair of script valve covers but no dice.

Steven

CRGRS 66 02-24-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantimdad (Post 5910357)
Forgot to post a pic of the painted engine.
I polished the button heads and put them on the timing cover.
I am trying to find a pair of script valve covers but no dice.
Steven

How about picture of that falcon in the back ground? Looks like a 65 from here... I had a 63 (rounded front fenders), loved it!

Trsmotrhed 02-24-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRGRS 66 (Post 5910567)
How about picture of that falcon in the back ground? Looks like a 65 from here... I had a 63 (rounded front fenders), loved it!

Wow, great eye. I see that falcon now that you point it out. Guess I'm blind.
Posted via Mobile Device

dantimdad 02-24-2013 10:24 PM

Yep it's a 65 futura 4 door. I did all sorts of work to get it running but didn't do the bottom end. Unfortunately, 6 months after getting it going, it threw a rod.

I am in the process of switching to a hopped up 2.3 liter mustang engine and repainting it.

Here's a pic of it right after I got it running:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/o...n/DSCN1686.jpg

Steven

CRGRS 66 02-24-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dantimdad (Post 5910644)
Yep it's a 65 futura 4 door. I did all sorts of work to get it running but didn't do the bottom end. Unfortunately, 6 months after getting it going, it threw a rod.
I am in the process of switching to a hopped up 2.3 liter mustang engine and repainting it.
Here's a pic of it right after I got it running:
Steven

NICE! Thanks Steve

dantimdad 02-24-2013 10:44 PM

I'll make you really sick when I tell you that I only paid $350 for it and it has only a few bubbles in the paint, no dents, a newly rebuilt C4 and all the original trim.

:)

Steven

dantimdad 02-25-2013 05:57 PM

Got in a set of rear springs.

Thanks Indian113!

My son and I really appreciate it!

Steven

61_FL_Apache 02-25-2013 08:11 PM

The truck has been running a little rough lately and thought I would take a look at the plugs.. From the picture the Bosch plugs on the right was what came out of it and the AC Delco plugs went it.. There is a night and day different between the two and could not believe what the PO put in.. It ran a whole lot better, but still needs a little tweaking!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps98783b15.jpg

jayoldschool 02-25-2013 08:16 PM

So I take it the taper seat plugs were supposed to be in there? The thread on that Bosch are so long, lucky the piston didn't hit it!

61_FL_Apache 02-25-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayoldschool (Post 5912545)
So I take it the taper seat plugs were supposed to be in there? The thread on that Bosch are so long, lucky the piston didn't hit it!

No hitting issues, but I checked to see what stock plugs for this engine and the AC plugs I have are what it calls for.

quest 02-25-2013 09:31 PM

I thought about it, I talked about it, I told someone about it!

markeb01 02-25-2013 10:56 PM

Spent a couple of hours cleaning up the garage and doing some minor reorganization so I'll be ready for the next project.

Trsmotrhed 02-25-2013 11:12 PM

Picked up a complete fleet side short bed today. Went to buy the rear bed rail and came home with the whole bed and also two brand new inner fenders still in the box. Got a great deal on everything, I couldn't pass it up. Now I have 2 complete swb beds.:metal: This picture is after I took it apart.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1431ab37.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device