The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Greg65 build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336653)

greg65 02-25-2013 10:33 PM

Re: Greg65 build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5910717)
It as dented up pretty bad. It was less work to swap it out than it would have been to straighten the original piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5912411)
looks like alans been on the ball, terrific progress, one question though...have you been able to quit smiling and started sleeping again:lol:

I'm giving myself until Thursday or Friday and if the smile has not gone away I will seek medical attention. :lol: I'll have to get back to you on the sleep.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan's Classic 02-25-2013 10:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5912411)
looks like alans been on the ball, terrific progress, one question though...have you been able to quit smiling and started sleeping again:lol:

Thanks Jeff, If I could work full time on it, it wouldn't take long at all. Right now I get 5-10 hours a week on it.

Greg did a fantastic job removing the good roof panel. No matter how good you are at removing a panel the edges have to be dollied. While doing so I was able to dolly a few dents out as well. We thought sand blasting the roof with it off wasn't a good idea since it is so flemsy. I sanded, scuffed and treated with rust converter. I fit the roof tonight to make sure I had the edges straight.

Bomp 02-25-2013 10:37 PM

When I pulled the skin off mine it exposed areas that were impossible to get at. I blasted, used rust killer and POR15. No rust and protected for years.
Your cab is looking like new:metal:

Alan's Classic 02-25-2013 10:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Before welding the roof on i will block it and check for dents I missed. Until then I started on the speaker holes patches from a donor door. I will repair the inner structure on the door where someone cut it for the speaker before the patch is welded.

sdailey 02-25-2013 10:55 PM

Nice work as always.;)

likaroc13 02-25-2013 11:04 PM

Glad to see the ball is still rolling along! I agree, nice work as always, Alan. :bowtie:

flips72 02-26-2013 05:47 PM

great work alan, attention to details, most people wouldn't have bothered with the inner structure, just welded in the new panel and let it go... this greg is why you definitly picked the right man for the job:metal:carry on master for grasshopper is watching:lol:

Alan's Classic 02-27-2013 09:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdailey (Post 5913037)
Nice work as always.;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5913064)
Glad to see the ball is still rolling along! I agree, nice work as always, Alan. :bowtie:

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5914649)
great work alan, attention to details, most people wouldn't have bothered with the inner structure, just welded in the new panel and let it go... this greg is why you definitly picked the right man for the job:metal:carry on master for grasshopper is watching:lol:

Thanks guys!!

Prepping the roof. primed the underside of the roof skin. Used a weld thru primer. Then welded up the holes, ground flat, and sprayed weld thru primer in the roof channel to get it ready for the roof.

Alan's Classic 02-27-2013 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

198plus 02-27-2013 11:34 PM

Looking good Alan :thumbs:

Alan's Classic 02-28-2013 12:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 5917781)
Looking good Alan :thumbs:

Thanks Ronnie!!

With Q pads installed and some dabs of urethane applied the roof went on for the last time.

pdxhall 02-28-2013 04:36 AM

Great body work pics as usual Alan. I followed your build and I'm happy that Gregg picked you to do his truck so I can learn more. I've referenced these builds often as I've been doing my own body work. Thanks.

greg65 02-28-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5917869)
Thanks Ronnie!!

With Q pads installed and some dabs of urethane applied the roof went on for the last time.

Roof looks great. Nice picture of cab and roof panel assembled. Not to mention Duck Dynasty playing in the back ground.:metal:

Bomp 02-28-2013 11:39 AM

Looks great. I also reference your builds from time to time too.
x2 on Duck Dynasty:metal:

aggie91 02-28-2013 11:50 AM

Love to watch the Quack Pack! Missed it last night though, had to go to a Visitation for my wife Uncle that passed away on Tuesday.

One question for you Alan, What are the dabs of urethane for between the skins? Could you use Panel Adhesive to bond the roof skin on instead of welding it?

hemifalcon 02-28-2013 12:41 PM

Just interjecting here... But, I'm pretty certain the urethan blobs are meant for cushioning between the inner and outer roof skins--It'll keep them from "oil canning" and will also provide a very light bit of support for both panels from the top and bottom. I assume it would provide some silencing quality from rain if the truck were ever in a downpour??? (kinda stretching here..)

Alan's Classic 02-28-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 5918174)
Great body work pics as usual Alan. I followed your build and I'm happy that Gregg picked you to do his truck so I can learn more. I've referenced these builds often as I've been doing my own body work. Thanks.

Thanks man, glad I could be of some assistance. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5918323)
Roof looks great. Nice picture of cab and roof panel assembled. Not to mention Duck Dynasty playing in the back ground.:metal:

:thumbs: I don't watch much TV,..............but when I do I watch duck Dynasty!! HAHA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5918524)
Looks great. I also reference your builds from time to time too.
x2 on Duck Dynasty:metal:

:thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 5918544)
Love to watch the Quack Pack! Missed it last night though, had to go to a Visitation for my wife Uncle that passed away on Tuesday.

One question for you Alan, What are the dabs of urethane for between the skins? Could you use Panel Adhesive to bond the roof skin on instead of welding it?

Sorry to hear about your wifes uncle.

I thought about using panel bond around the perimeter of the roof. The reason that I didn't is because of some unevenness that I will have to take care of when welding the skin on. I use urethane like hemifalcon mentioned below as sound control. The factory seems to have attempted that, I just wanted to improve on it. Panel bond probably could be used, but it gets rock hard and I feel it might cause problems. I could be completely wrong, but don't want to risk it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemifalcon (Post 5918638)
Just interjecting here... But, I'm pretty certain the urethan blobs are meant for cushioning between the inner and outer roof skins--It'll keep them from "oil canning" and will also provide a very light bit of support for both panels from the top and bottom. I assume it would provide some silencing quality from rain if the truck were ever in a downpour??? (kinda stretching here..)

:agree:

greg65 03-01-2013 11:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Last Saturday while up at Alan's I picked up my cluster bezel that I got from Billy. I have been trying to decide which looks better with my cluster. The wife and kids like the powder coated one but I make up my mind between the two.

flips72 03-01-2013 08:50 PM

the powder coated one is my favorite also, but i'm kinda like a old crow... just love shiney things:lol:

Alan's Classic 03-01-2013 11:34 PM

In person I chose the black one. In pics I choose the powder coated one. ;)

likaroc13 03-01-2013 11:55 PM

Tough call. I kinda like the contrast of the black one. Seems like the other combo has almost too much shine. Wonder what it would look like with those milled lines painted black on the cluster, if using the powdercoated bezel?

Alan's Classic 03-08-2013 12:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Roof is welded and ground. Need to grind the underside of the channel where I have some burn thru nuggets.

Bomp 03-08-2013 12:53 AM

Roof looks nice.
I'm dreading when I stick mine back on.
Seeing how you did yours gives me peace of mind.
Thanks.

Dinos63 03-08-2013 12:57 AM

whoa!! nice work

flips72 03-08-2013 10:39 AM

very nice.