The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

198plus 12-09-2009 11:24 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

I'm no expert but from what I can find it is a factory tach......Maybe someone else could chime in on this ??????

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol Curt (Post 3665831)
You sure that's a factory tach?
Looks sweet either way! I really like the clock. :thumbs:

I have a set of those gauges. Some day I'll luck into a clock...probably from a Nova, and I might install it then. Without those two holes filled they look kinda bare.

ol Curt 12-09-2009 11:28 PM

Me neither, just wondered. I thought I saw one in a manual once that was dash mounted. To tell the truth, that MAY have been where a factory clock was...either way, they look good.

nbrfd007 12-10-2009 12:07 AM

Sat behind the steering wheel, made motor noises and drove like a 8 year old. Just dreaming!

sams60gmc 12-10-2009 03:07 AM

Well guys I've been Internet deprived lately because I've been trying to get setled into my new house. Last week I made my new rear frame rails out of 2x4. And ordered my bushings for my link bars on Monday. And today I rented a big trailer and brought the '60 to it's new home. Finally have a garage. It's a tight fit but will have more room after it's a shortbed. I'm just happy I finally have a semi warm and dry place that I can work on my truck in especially seeing as how it's been 14 degrees lately at night and thru the mornings. Well guys I get Internet Tuesday so I'll post tons of pics of my rear back half.

DPowers 12-10-2009 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Captainfab
I recently bought a couple different sets of late model center caps after seeing this done on the '67-'72 forum. I see you used standard lug nuts. How did you go about attaching them to the ralley's?

I attached them through the holes for the ralleyes from the back side. The holes are large enough to use an impact on the original lug nuts which I like.[/QUOTE]

I used three #14-3/4 inch hex head machine screws that have a 3/8 socket head. I went through the 3 larger holes from the back side that the original caps were attached by and snugged them up with an air ratchet. They lined up well.

Last nite I removed all of the rear brakes down to the backing plates. Going to replace shoes, hardware, wheel cylinders, flex hose, brake lines, axle seals and differential gasket this weekend.

joe231 12-10-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 3664214)
Details, details, details please. Who or where did you get it from?

SCOTI, have you seen this?

http://www.classicparts.com/images/24-735.jpg

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-...ctinfo/24-735/

and it works with HEI...

Quote:

I have a set of those gauges. Some day I'll luck into a clock...probably from a Nova, and I might install it then. Without those two holes filled they look kinda bare.

yes that is the factory style tach, I really dunno how to tell if it is an original tach just by looking at the face though. I think the one from classic parts I posted is pretty much identical

SCOTI 12-10-2009 04:28 PM

Yeah, I've seen them. I still just have the standard 'idiot-light' panel vs. the optional 'gauge' panel. I need to first convert to the gauge panel (w/the necessary wiring) & then can add the tach set-up. Of course, that one has a clock too. It never seems to end $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

198plus 12-10-2009 05:11 PM

Never seen those, nice...........Wonder what I have to do to mine for it to work with HEI.......Is there some kind of resistor you can use ????????

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe231 (Post 3667028)
SCOTI, have you seen this?

http://www.classicparts.com/images/24-735.jpg

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-...ctinfo/24-735/

and it works with HEI...

yes that is the factory style tach, I really dunno how to tell if it is an original tach just by looking at the face though. I think the one from classic parts I posted is pretty much identical

lakeroadster 12-13-2009 05:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Added seat belts to the seat brackets I made a few weeks back.

1stseries55 12-13-2009 06:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i was browsing the FAQ section and came across this:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=113397

i decided to make my own....i work at a plumbing supply house so mine is made out of schd 40 scrap but it worked out great.. alot safer than the 2x6 that i used to balance on my engine hoist to move the cab

I highly recommend this one

Attachment 523663
Attachment 523664
Attachment 523665

jbgroby 12-13-2009 07:14 PM

That's DAMN neat you might want to SERIOUSLY patten that and put it on the market. I'M SERIOUS.

62 short step 12-13-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbgroby (Post 3673017)
That's DAMN neat you might want to SERIOUSLY patten that and put it on the market. I'M SERIOUS.

I agree, wish I would have thought about that when I did mine. I did the 4x4 thing, never again!

joe231 12-13-2009 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 3667172)
Never seen those, nice...........Wonder what I have to do to mine for it to work with HEI.......Is there some kind of resistor you can use ????????

Try google.
I checked into it a couple years ago. Think you need a Zener diode and one or 2 resistors to make it work. If you hook it straight up to HEI it will fry the tach.

Turkey 12-13-2009 08:47 PM

finished primering the bed rails and the rear bed panels. Also installed interior door panel after painting yesterday. Oh yeah, I drove it also.

DPowers 12-13-2009 10:06 PM

Combining yesterday and today- installed new rear brakes w/new wheel cylinders, shoes, rear brake lines, new axle seals, new differential seal, painted the cover and put new oil in the differential.

1stseries55 12-13-2009 10:22 PM

thanks fellas... but it was not my idea.. i just tweaked Solver's design to work with free crap I got from work. Yeah, using a 4x4 is a little scary...my 55 cab seemed much lighter so it was not as bad but the 65 was a little squirrely on wood.

sams60gmc 12-14-2009 11:16 PM

Worked on my frame today for about an hour. Didn't get much done. Tomorrow I'll spend a few hours on it and get all my bracketry all done. I set up a tool to run in the mill to notch my 1/4" plate to fit my axle tubes really well. I'm really happy with the way things are turning out so far. :metal:

70 Suburban 12-14-2009 11:30 PM

found that my holley base plate was/ is cracked

sams60gmc 12-15-2009 10:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Finally got the internet and some more work done on my rear backhalf.

sams60gmc 12-15-2009 10:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more:metal::metal::metal:

sams60gmc 12-15-2009 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 more. This is my front crossmember. It will be a wishbone style rear end.

ol Curt 12-15-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiknrocks (Post 3654588)
i installed my trim

That trim looks great. Mind sharing where you bought it and if it all fit good?

70 Suburban 12-16-2009 11:04 AM

Rebuilt my edlebrock... .still no start .now i think all my plugs a fuel fouled

sams60gmc 12-16-2009 09:38 PM

Worked on my end links a little today. Probably wont get much done til next week. Need to get 1 more bag then I can mock up the rear end.

LILRED66 12-16-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

It is a factory tach...I have/have owned several and they all look the same on the front and back. They are used on the six and V8 trucks, but I think they have a different setting on them between the two engine configurations, but I don't remember for sure.