The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Shiro (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=608085)

nuke1 02-03-2015 10:57 AM

Re: Project: Shiro

Truck looks amazing, I really dig the coilovers. that is what I would like on havoc.

knomadd 02-03-2015 11:46 AM

I know you've heard a lot of opinions, and I hope you haven't heard enough, or this will just annoy you. Hopefully not though... Here goes:

I, personally, like the chrome instead of the black. But that's me. If you like the black go with the black. BUT, something to consider... If you scuff and paint the trim, and at some point want to go back to chrome/stainless look, you'll have to replace or replate it all = $$$. If you just want to see what it looks like, maybe keep it that way for a year or two, you might try painting the pieces with Plasti Dip. I'm not really familiar with the product so you'll need to do a bit of research, but from what I've seen/heard, it can be pealed off without damaging the surface under it. Might at least be worth looking into.

By the way, I like watching you run all (most? maybe just some?) of your ideas through this thread. It's fun trying to picture the end result... Nothing beats the real thing though. Keep up the good work!

slowcpe 02-03-2015 12:21 PM

If chrome bumper and trim are on the table that would be my pick hands down. There's just something clean, simple and timeless as a clean white vehicle with some shiny trim.

SeTx67 02-03-2015 12:35 PM

I say go with chrome. My truck is all white and it needs something to set it off a little more

C10_ustacould 02-03-2015 02:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 7032120)
Truck looks amazing, I really dig the coilovers. that is what I would like on havoc.

Thanks Nuke1, the guys at PBFAB.com have everything you need so give them a shout. :devil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7032184)
By the way, I like watching you run all (most? maybe just some?) of your ideas through this thread. It's fun trying to picture the end result... Nothing beats the real thing though. Keep up the good work!

I'm not sure I'm the most undecided builder on the board but I'm probably in the top 10...:lol: Just wait until we get to the interior. ;)

Hint...
Attachment 1358649

GAc10boy 02-03-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure I'm the most undecided builder on the board but I'm probably in the top 10...:lol: Just wait until we get to the interior. ;)

Hint...
Attachment 1358649
I'd say I'm right up there with you, Buck. But, boy, do i love that interior pattern!

C10_ustacould 02-03-2015 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Worked on the heater delete panels tonight. A little more tacking and then a bunch of grinding. :metal:

Attachment 1358832

Attachment 1358834

mcbassin 02-04-2015 09:06 AM

Nice work on the firewall. In hindsight, I wish I could have used the PBFab fillers. They look like they would make the bodywork so much easier. Keep up the good work.

C10_ustacould 02-04-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 7033354)
Nice work on the firewall. In hindsight, I wish I could have used the PBFab fillers. They look like they would make the bodywork so much easier. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mike, They do make it easy but I don't do body work (filler/paint) so I couldn't comment on that part. The area around the blower motor is a little distorted, but I think it was like that before I started. I just took my time and spread the heat out trying to avoid warping and it seems to have turned out well. Once I get these done and the corner piece installed I plan to smooth over the "wire well" in the top of the firewall, that should be interesting. I really like how the firewall in Keith Stephens' "Tiffany" looks so I'm going to give it a shot. After all it looks easy in his build thread; photo 1 = rusty firewall, photo 2 = perfectly smoothed firewall, should be a snap! :devil: I wish I had a portion of the talent some of you all have just in your pinky finger, you make it look easy. ;)

C10_ustacould 02-07-2015 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished welding on the firewall panels today.

All welded up
Attachment 1360114

Ground as smooth as I can get it. Will need some attention from a body man.:lol:
Attachment 1360115

I think it will look good once the painter is done with his magic.;)
Attachment 1360116

sduckworth13 02-07-2015 07:27 PM

Nice work Buck!

nlped 02-07-2015 09:00 PM

Nice work Ernie! That makes such an improvement.

cericd 02-07-2015 10:57 PM

Highlander plaid interior?!?

Sweet!!!

Number98 02-07-2015 11:09 PM

The firewall looks really good!

C10_ustacould 02-08-2015 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 7038354)
Nice work Buck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cericd (Post 7038654)
Highlander plaid interior?!?

Sweet!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number98 (Post 7038682)
The firewall looks really good!

Thanks guys! I am learning a lot, discovering mistakes I've made in the past. The main one being, In my mind I see the finished product being a perfectly metal finished firewall waiting for a some high build primer, a quick sand and shiny white paint. The truth is, it's going to be a jagged, bumpy, wavy firewall that some poor body man is going to have to straighten out for me. The take away for me is to stop grinding when it gets close and let the experienced guy take it from there. I want to "cap" the wire well next so I will be looking for a place to buy some good 18 gauge steel and researching how others have done it in the past... should be interesting! Thanks for following along!

jmedero 02-08-2015 01:16 AM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=378084&page=8

I actually cut the lip off and stich welded it.

lolife99 02-08-2015 06:45 PM

I never have understood what you do "inside" the "boxed" gutter rail to prevent rust.
Weldable primer?
Is that never going to rust?
Just trying to understand.

I see tons of threads where they grind to bare metal and then cap off and box an area,... then complete the bodywork and paint process.
What keeps it from rusting and bubbling thru later?
Same for any area of the truck that is welded shut.
How do you rust proof the backside?

jmedero 02-08-2015 07:26 PM

Main reason I just cut my lip rail off.

C10_ustacould 02-08-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmedero (Post 7038836)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=378084&page=8

I actually cut the lip off and stich welded it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 7039695)
I never have understood what you do "inside" the "boxed" gutter rail to prevent rust.
Weldable primer?
Is that never going to rust?
Just trying to understand.

I see tons of threads where they grind to bare metal and then cap off and box an area,... then complete the bodywork and paint process.
What keeps it from rusting and bubbling thru later?
Same for any area of the truck that is welded shut.
How do you rust proof the backside?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmedero (Post 7039754)
Main reason I just cut my lip rail off.

I have been pondering that for the last few days. The first thought was weld through primer, but I don't know how it would help with the rust I can't sand/grind off. I have also considered ospho which would convert the existing rust but not necessarily seal it. Then there is POR15, which will convert the rust and seal it, but what will it do when you weld near it? That's where I am now... It would be cool if Nate Porter or Keith Stephens could weigh in as they might have some insight.

C10_ustacould 02-10-2015 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replacement dash for Shiro??

Attachment 1361973

nlped 02-10-2015 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 7043084)
Replacement dash for Shiro??

Attachment 1361973

Why not an A/C dash?

C10_ustacould 02-10-2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 7043147)
Why not an A/C dash?

I don't like the factory side vents, I'll use smaller vintage air vents similar the ones I used on the green stepper.

cericd 02-10-2015 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 7043269)
I don't like the factory side vents, I'll use smaller vintage air vents similar the ones I used on the green stepper.

Why don't you like the factory side vents? Too bulky?

C10_ustacould 02-10-2015 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cericd (Post 7043270)
Why don't you like the factory side vents? Too bulky?

Exactly, the Vintage Air and Billet Specialties vents are smaller and blend very well with the factory styling in my opinion.

nlped 02-11-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 7043269)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 7043280)
Exactly, the Vintage Air and Billet Specialties vents are smaller and blend very well with the factory styling in my opinion.

Gotcha! I knew you'd have a good reason.

C10_ustacould 02-11-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 7043491)
Gotcha! I knew you'd have a good reason.

I don't know about it being a good reason but it makes sense in my OCD soaked brain.:lol::crazy:

nlped 02-11-2015 11:44 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

C10_ustacould 02-17-2015 11:03 PM

OKay... silly question time. I have the cab back on the frame and torqued down and I want to make sure I have a handle on this sheet metal repair process. I'm going to leave the doors on for the moment and start by drilling out the spot rivets in the outer rocker. Once they are out of the way I will remove the inner rocker and however much of the floor I want to replace as well as the lower portion of the kick panels. Once I am to this point I just fit my panels to what I have cut out and work it in reverse order. I know this is a simplistic view, but it will help bring out any special advice any of you may have. So what do you think, am I on the right track. I hope I can muster the testicular fortitude to knock this out myself, if not maybe I give the guys at Nsane Hot Rodz a call! :metal:

sduckworth13 02-17-2015 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Buck here are some pictures from my first cab I did. Measure, measure, measure

sduckworth13 02-17-2015 11:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the individual pictures, I'm on my phone.

sduckworth13 02-17-2015 11:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welded in.

sduckworth13 02-17-2015 11:57 PM

Make sure you measure from the floor to the lip of the inner rocker where the outer rocker sits in. Then weld your inner rocker in, then your kick panel, then the lower door pillar then your outer rocker. Buck, I probably test fit my door 50x before I got the gap of the outer rocker where I wanted it before I finally welded it in.

sduckworth13 02-17-2015 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the final pic.

C10_ustacould 02-18-2015 07:51 AM

Thanks for the visuals Scott!

Hart_Rod 02-18-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucks68 (Post 7054228)
Thanks for the visuals Scott!

So there you go, I expect one side to be done by the weekend.....:D

C10_ustacould 02-18-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7054296)
So there you go, I expect one side to be done by the weekend.....:D

Sure, that means we should count you in for dinner the rest of the week. The least I could do is feed you if you are going to be here every night. ;)

The one thing I just though about was the cab corner, where does that fit in the timeline? It looks like it tucks under the aft end of the outer rocker so I'm guessing it can be laid out and cut anytime after the outer rocker and go back in after the inner rocker is installed?

sduckworth13 02-18-2015 10:47 AM

Good luck Buck, your welds looked great on the firewall panel so I think your way ahead of the curve and won't have any issues. Just measure a lot and you'll be good. I'm about to start tearing into my new cab and will probably be doing similar repairs again. I won't know anything till I get the outer rocker off, its pretty cold here so I'm going to put it off until it warms up enough to open the garage doors.

GAc10boy 02-18-2015 10:14 PM

Been going back through and reading your build, Buck. You're making killer progress! I am a bit confused on one thing: did you decide to switch to bags or keep the coilovers? I'm sure I missed it but thought I'd just ask.

C10_ustacould 02-27-2015 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAc10boy (Post 7055387)
Been going back through and reading your build, Buck. You're making killer progress! I am a bit confused on one thing: did you decide to switch to bags or keep the coilovers? I'm sure I missed it but thought I'd just ask.

Keeping the coilovers.

Ordered ebfabman's sheet metal repair videos to aid in the rust repair effort. Hopefully the rust repair goes well and I can get it blown apart for paint and powdercoat soon.

C10_ustacould 03-01-2015 11:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Fooled around in the shop this afternoon...

Actually started the other day, I wanted to see what was lurking behind the cab corners so I cut a hole in the driver's side and pulled out a bunch of what I guess is seam sealer and a hairball. Yuk!
Attachment 1371441

Then I wanted to see how the spot weld bit worked... Worked too well on the top one!
Attachment 1371442

Then I figured I would cut a hole in the rocker and take a look and see how much of the inner rocker was corroded...
Attachment 1371443

The area where the outer laps over the inner rocker was pretty corroded and the seal retailer lip was rotted away, so why not remove that too, right? A lot of light coming through there. :lol:
Attachment 1371446

After drilling out a bunch of spot welds the outer rocker is off! Not sure at this point if I am going to change the inner rocker or just patch it. We'll have to wait and see.
Attachment 1371447