The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, take 2 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644706)

yoshi 09-27-2015 02:45 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, take 2

1 Attachment(s)
More pics

yoshi 09-27-2015 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more

tbrown5079 09-27-2015 09:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Put the straps on the endgate and made the latch grabber from stainless steel. Put the rear bumper on.

Clarance J 09-30-2015 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sunday I was able to get a bunch of the small front clip parts epoxy primered.

Today they got the color. 998 more things to do.

Earl

OrrieG 10-04-2015 07:21 PM

Saturday, glove box lid and horn installed. Lid was a challenge, it had never shut right, now it does. Today 5 hours to put a fuel pump in the kids Saturn and get it running after sitting for 3 years. Old one had the in tank strainer completely destroyed from the ethnol gas they sell. Told Jen to start using fuel additive.

oldman3 10-04-2015 07:42 PM

Went for a 170 mile cruise with some friends today, pics are posted in my 50 build thread...Jim

Coupeguy2001 10-06-2015 11:54 AM

put in QA1 coilovers, and regreased the tubular upper control arms. Doesn't drive like a drag car any more. can't plant the rear tires like I used to though.... Now the tires spin easy.
I used 550 springs, and adjusted the ride height to get the camber in the ball park.
Goes around corners better, and it sits a half inch higher than before. Makes it look better front to rear. time for rear sway bar

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps35b96fc9.jpg

oilslicktg 10-08-2015 01:56 PM

Picked up my 350 chevy trans today, Free, the guy was cleaning out his garage, said come get it or it's going to the scrap yard. Said it was out of a working truck. That working truck has me a bit worried but Free is Good, will get it to the shop and have them go through it. Fluid look good & didn't smell burnt.
I have worked so long, with so little, I'm now capable of doing anything with nothing.

chopit 10-08-2015 09:31 PM

Installed fresh built driveshaft to stop vibration.

cleaned out clogged pushrod and replaced lifter...no more loud ticking from #6.

Somehow managed to jamb my transmission and or linkage in2nd gear, then after wiggling tapping and finally yanking on shifter out of frustration, jambing in reverse.

And finally kicked truck and went inside to cool off. :banghead:

chopit 10-09-2015 05:13 PM

...fixed tranny

YukonXL04 10-10-2015 11:31 PM

Finally got my worn kingpin out. Been battling that sucker all week. Finally went to a buddies house that had a press and still barely got it out. One of the bushings was so worn it was only half there. Got it all re assembled and greased up good. Still gotta put the front axle back in the truck and reassemble all the brakes.

One step closer to getting this sucker on the road.

1958Warrior 10-11-2015 01:01 AM

Installed new Eibach lowering springs and drop spindles on the pass. side will do drivers side tomorrow .
Had a discount from Summit and springs had a rebate, so the price was right.

Should drop the front end 3-3.5" and level out the stance. I don't have the front sheet metal on it, but even with a block and trans core in it and me jumping on the frame couldn't get the suspension to budge, front end was sitting up like a gasser.

nvrdone 10-11-2015 11:43 AM

removed right rear fender. now I can start working on the 50 year old dents

1958Warrior 10-11-2015 08:18 PM

Just finished installing drivers side drop 2" spindle and 1-1.5" drop spring . ended up with a 4" drop on my Camaro clip. leveled the truck out nice, not looking like a gasser anymore.
Rear bumper sits at 10" now rockers are at 8 -1/4".

I know.... this is worthless without pics

OrrieG 10-12-2015 01:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A lot of work for a little painting. Did the windshield/cowl vent, back window, headlight and taillight area so I can get the glass and rest of wiring done. Also used the tailgate to do a bigger trial panel, wanted to make sure the color was ok (it is close to stock) and see if gray primer would work (does not paint does not cover). Also got to talk to a guy that offered me a vehicle he said was worth 12K for my Chevelle (declined, again) and another who was REALLY into the whole resto-mod build, apparently he had never seen one in progress, only finished stuff at car shows and was interested in the "hidden" details.

49tomchevy 10-12-2015 07:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Homecoming parade in Clay County TN

58CameoAZ 10-12-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown5079 (Post 7322016)
Put the straps on the endgate and made the latch grabber from stainless steel. Put the rear bumper on.

Looking Good, Is that Gibbons Cameo Reproduction Parts?

It's going to be a Nice Cameo!

Allen

roger55 10-12-2015 08:20 PM

Picked up my truck from the interior shop today.

It was in for the custom carpet job and headliner install.

The guy is amazing! I just love the work he does. I'm happy as could be!

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../IMG_36371.JPG

He put extra padding in the indentations of the cab rear to give the carpet a smoother look back there:

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_3708.JPG

This is what he did to cover the ECM and other electronics. He put a zipper on it for access. So cool! I didn't know what he was going to do there.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_3710.JPG

Before:

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_8066.JPG

Also see here that he even carpeted the inside of the cab corners. I had to use the flash so it would show this. He said he did it more for sound than for looks. (The flash adds a little yellow to the color. It's much more accurate on the ones without.)

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_3703.JPG

I used the flash here too so you all can see how well he detailed up really high under the dash. Incredible.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_3721.JPG

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da...1/IMG_3716.JPG

The headliner looks super too. He didn't use the reproduction rubber retainer that I bought. He said there was no way it was going to fit (I found that is a universal complaint with this reproduction part). So he used another type of edge trim that he had. Looks great to me.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../IMG_36931.JPG
Driving home from the shop, I could really tell the truck is more quiet by quite a bit.

He did my seat a while back so I've shown that before but I'll post a photo here again just so you can see how it looks. Same material as the headliner.

http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../IMG_02634.JPG

crossfire84 10-14-2015 07:54 PM

stripped the frame and pulled the C4 rear out to change oil and new gasket.

57chevyman 10-20-2015 07:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
shiny new stuff. new scuff guards. window cranks and door handles are nice and tight too :)

Tire Guy 10-21-2015 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Upgrade from 15" wheels to 18". I like the look much better than the Wells drag race look that it had before.

Hakang 10-21-2015 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the welding of Speedway IFS today

FarmerSid 10-21-2015 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakang (Post 7349105)
Finished the welding of Speedway IFS today

Nice !
Posted via Mobile Device

donandal 10-24-2015 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
started putting it back together...

frame is painted and should be rolling in a couple of weeks

tractor supply enamel matte black with hardener applied with
3 inch roller.

took a gallon to coat everything twice.

Coupeguy2001 10-25-2015 11:43 AM

I'm a little jealous Roger and Orrie, mine has never been apart long enough to clean up everything, but it does have 344,000 miles on it. and still fun to drive.

It is sort of a hard to pin down the look it has. clean but not perfect, restified but not custom, modified but not unique, quick but not fast, cool but not awesome.
what would you call it? assembled? LOL

OrrieG 10-25-2015 01:36 PM

Mine had about 260K on it when I succumbed to the "as long as I'm at it" syndrome. Was just going to do the cab corners and lower hinges to get rid of the rust, and freshen up the frame paint. Took the front clip and bed off to make access easier. Hum, cab is only held on by 4 more bolts.... Boy stuff sure looks cruddy, maybe I should upgrade to power brakes and steering while I have it open. Might as well move the gas tank too and upgrade the radiator. Can't put it back together with bad wiring and would be nice to have some AC. Seats are bad and inside sounds like a tin can so lets find some new ones and upholstrey. $35 stero poor too so that needs upgraded.

That is how it happens....

Coupeguy2001 10-25-2015 05:41 PM

I'm afraid if I took it all apart, I would die, and my wife would sell it for scrap.
So it's torturing me that it's ugly under the truck, but hey, I'm alive and driving it.

Dan in Pasadena 10-25-2015 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tire Guy (Post 7348630)
Upgrade from 15" wheels to 18". I like the look much better than the Wells drag race look that it had before.

Wow, really looks great Tire Guy. Are they Torq Thrust II's or Coys? What width and tire sizes if you don't mind telling us?

YukonXL04 10-25-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 (Post 7353282)
I'm afraid if I took it all apart, I would die, and my wife would sell it for scrap.
So it's torturing me that it's ugly under the truck, but hey, I'm alive and driving it.

Lol that's great!

BTW the link in your signature doesn't work. Was gonna check your truck out.

Tire Guy 10-26-2015 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 7353517)
Wow, really looks great Tire Guy. Are they Torq Thrust II's or Coys? What width and tire sizes if you don't mind telling us?

Vision wheels 18 x 8.5 bought from Summit.
Ft 235 50 18
Re 255 55 18

The rear tires were some old tires I had on hand. I will go to a 275 width at some point.

OrrieG 10-26-2015 02:40 PM

Checked the body to see where I left off 18 months ago. Did some block sanding and added filler skim where needed. Will be into the prime, block, repeat phase for a while. Also place an order for some small parts, wiper arms and door handle scratch guards. Organized all my small parts into one place, had a couple of double orders.

fredos59 10-26-2015 05:43 PM

Continued to assemble parts for the rebuild. Today I sourced the Toyota PS Box, and got my assembly manual in the mail. A cpl of days ago I made a deal with a guy for his disc brake conversion (Axle, leafs, calipers and rotors) he's redoing his 55 and let the set up go cheap. Will start the search for the brake booster/MC set up in a day or so.
Hope to have the old cab off by net weekend so I can roll it into the garage for fab work. I already have the replacement SBC 350. Lots of work to do but I'm getting there.

47AD 11-05-2015 08:24 PM

Finally got to take my cab in today to get chemically dipped. I wanted to get all the rust out where media blasting couldn't. I'll get the cab back in about 2 weeks and then it's off to the body shop to get started on the repairs. I'll get some pictures of the cab posted on here after I pick it up in its' rust free state.

donandal 11-07-2015 07:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
finished brakes, sway bars, and fuel tank installation...

engine is going back in soon.

Famous Tater 11-07-2015 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Installed my new shift knob and Lokar adaptor.

slck57 11-07-2015 09:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Worked on a little dash upgrade today.

ChuckDriver 11-07-2015 10:49 PM

Nice work Slck57, post up more please!

Advanced Design 11-07-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donandal (Post 7368180)
finished brakes, sway bars, and fuel tank installation...

engine is going back in soon.

Looks awesome! Do you have a build thread?

donandal 11-08-2015 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7368426)

Thanks

not yet on the build thread,

but I intend to start one as it nears completion.

I'll probably be posting more questions as I get into the
electrical and plumbing issues.

I just don't want to leave people hanging, as I
expect it will take about another year to complete.

Foot Stomper 11-08-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7368426)

Build threads are just as easy to post and far easier to follow. I'd sign up to follow for sure! :smoke: