The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

roll_the_dice 12-29-2020 06:48 PM

Re: Frankentruck

Good job! I definitely need to do mine. My vent window handle stud broke a month ago...so I may need to get a new vent glass frame...but I want black and not chrome (I think) If I do black I only need 1, if I do chrome I feel I should have both sides match. But I may just buy complete new vent windows...but could use that $ elsewhere!

roll_the_dice 12-29-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53Sparky (Post 8855438)
Flat surfaces are the worst.

You asked about the mirror mount from my donor door. I also have the vent window parts if they'd be useful to you. Otherwise, maybe Andy could use them.

Thanks! I will send you a PM so as to not gum up the thread.

53Sparky 12-29-2020 10:48 PM

Good job on the installation. I think I like the black look a lot better than the chrome. I'm working on repairing all the previous mirror mount holes in my doors, and I'm contemplating going to a 1 piece window instead so that I can prevent the whistles and actually use the mirrors. How much of your view of the mirror is blocked by the vent supports?

SkinnyG 12-29-2020 11:01 PM

The 1-piece don't roll down all the way, do they?

53Sparky 12-29-2020 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8856275)
The 1-piece don't roll down all the way, do they?

They go all but the last 3/4" in one area. I can't say I like the look part way up or down but I can tolerate the fully down position if it meant better visibility and no whistle.

Here's a video showing what they look like installed.

And a pic from this thread

cwcarpenter98 12-30-2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8856151)
Good job! I definitely need to do mine. My vent window handle stud broke a month ago...so I may need to get a new vent glass frame...but I want black and not chrome (I think) If I do black I only need 1, if I do chrome I feel I should have both sides match. But I may just buy complete new vent windows...but could use that $ elsewhere!

Thanks Andy! The post was broken on my driver's side as well. It broke a few years ago, so I kept the post and handle all this time. Turns out that was a good thing for me to keep because I was able to weld it back on when I had my glass out of the window frame. Booger welds, but it's on solid and I have a handle again! I paid a local glass shop $30 to set all the door glass back on the frames for me after I cleaned them up and painted them. Don't forget, the 60-63 and 64-66 vent windows are a different shape

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53Sparky (Post 8856270)
Good job on the installation. I think I like the black look a lot better than the chrome. I'm working on repairing all the previous mirror mount holes in my doors, and I'm contemplating going to a 1 piece window instead so that I can prevent the whistles and actually use the mirrors. How much of your view of the mirror is blocked by the vent supports?

Thanks! I also like the black better than chrome and I don't have to keep it polished all the time :lol:
On the view, now that I think about it, I don't remember noticing any issue with the view being blocked. That's something that I definitely would have fixed if there was a major issue.
I thought about converting to a one piece window, but I'm glad I didn't

cwcarpenter98 12-30-2020 12:49 AM

Update after taking a drive tonight: I can hear myself think now! :blah:

Before, the windows rattled so much and made the truck so loud on the inside. Now, the windows are quiet, don't rattle, and I don't have to turn up my radio super loud to drown out the prior noise.

I only drove up to about 50 mph tonight, but I did not hear any whistling like I did with the old, cracked and missing seals. Much, much quieter now.

I still need to see how it sounds once I get up to highway speeds, but so far, I'm extremely happy with the new seals

pdxhall 12-30-2020 01:40 PM

Great work. I hope I can make mine look that good.

cwcarpenter98 12-30-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8856487)
Great work. I hope I can make mine look that good.

Thanks! It looks good from a distance, but there's still some rust pitting and a few paint runs. It matches the rest of the truck :lol:

jhrusk 12-31-2020 06:24 PM

Just catching up on the thread. Vent windows turned out great. Super congratulations on your degree. That is something no one can ever take from you. Well deserved.

cwcarpenter98 12-31-2020 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrusk (Post 8857058)
Just catching up on the thread. Vent windows turned out great. Super congratulations on your degree. That is something no one can ever take from you. Well deserved.

Thanks Jay, I'm really stoked about it. Still have to get my Masters of Accountancy and then my CPA license, but I'm well on my way to that now :metal:

Johns 66 12-31-2020 07:57 PM

Vents look great Christian.....Truck coming along nicely!!!!

cwcarpenter98 01-01-2021 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8857117)
Vents look great Christian.....Truck coming along nicely!!!!

Thanks John! Yours is coming along great as well :metal:

cwcarpenter98 01-04-2021 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update on the vent window seals: No whistling noise while driving with windows closed, but there is still some whistling when the windows are down or vent windows are open. The loudness is no where near where it was before though, so I'm still happy with it.

My internship starts this week, so I won't be doing much of anything with Frankentruck for a bit. Thanks for checking in!

Pick121 02-13-2021 09:41 PM

Master cylinder question

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Christian, I am new here, I confess I spent one night reading your entire almost 700 posts! I am a big fan. anyway I saw on another thread this photo of your master cylinder. I did not want to hijack that thread so, I have a 1964 with single MC and I want to switch to dual, I have read some people also add power booster and swear by it saying they are soooo happy they did it. My question is, are you happy without a booster? I am happy with how my truck stops even now, with single MC - but I want to add a dual MC for safety. Just wondering if whileI am doing it should I add the booster, or just the dual MC. I am keeping the truck drum/drum probly forever. And, I’m not crazy about how the booster looks in the engine compartment, I like it simple! What’s your 2 cents?

cwcarpenter98 02-13-2021 10:16 PM

Re: Master cylinder question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pick121 (Post 8879779)
Hi Christian, I am new here, I confess I spent one night reading your entire almost 700 posts! I am a big fan. anyway I saw on another thread this photo of your master cylinder. I did not want to hijack that thread so, I have a 1964 with single MC and I want to switch to dual, I have read some people also add power booster and swear by it saying they are soooo happy they did it. My question is, are you happy without a booster? I am happy with how my truck stops even now, with single MC - but I want to add a dual MC for safety. Just wondering if whileI am doing it should I add the booster, or just the dual MC. I am keeping the truck drum/drum probly forever. And, I’m not crazy about how the booster looks in the engine compartment, I like it simple! What’s your 2 cents?

Hey Mike, thanks for reading about my rust bucket :lol:
I enjoy my manual brakes. Even though I swapped the front to discs, the manual master still works very well. As of this moment, I have not pulled a trailer with the truck, so that might change my opinion about needing power once I do. Currently though, the manual master can easily lock up the brakes with no problem.

If I decide that I want to add a booster, I'll be using member Captainfab's booster bracket and the rest of the braking system that I already have. I don't need to change the master to add a booster.

For your truck, since you want to keep it drum/drum, I would recommend swapping to the 67-68 c10 manual master. It's a factory, drum/drum dual line master. I know there's a thread on here somewhere, so if you use the search tools on the site, you should be able to find that thread

cwcarpenter98 02-13-2021 10:26 PM

Just a quick update for y'all:

Since the beginning of January, I've been working for an accounting firm in Warner Robins as a tax intern. Since I've been driving 500 miles a week to work there, I've been driving the Civic that gets 30+ mpg. I was planning on trying to get a ride back home this weekend with one of my friends so that I could bring Frankentruck back down to Milledgeville, but instead, I get to spend the next week and a half at home. Yup, I got the 'vid. So far, it hasn't been too terrible, just some nasal congestion, being tired all the time, and loss of my taste and smell. Hopefully that's all, but we shall see.

Anyways, the good thing is that I can work from home so I'm not bored all the time. Once my quarantine time is up, I'm going to try to get a ride back home so that I can get Frankentruck. I miss driving my truck

88Stanger 02-14-2021 12:04 PM

Prayers for you that all goes well.
Been there, right before Christmas. was not fun, like worst flu i ever had, smell still coming back, but over it in about 8 days. So awesome on the job, intern and such!
be safe, take care of yourself and every couple days let us know you are ok until you are over it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8879810)
Just a quick update for y'all:

Since the beginning of January, I've been working for an accounting firm in Warner Robins as a tax intern. Since I've been driving 500 miles a week to work there, I've been driving the Civic that gets 30+ mpg. I was planning on trying to get a ride back home this weekend with one of my friends so that I could bring Frankentruck back down to Milledgeville, but instead, I get to spend the next week and a half at home. Yup, I got the 'vid. So far, it hasn't been too terrible, just some nasal congestion, being tired all the time, and loss of my taste and smell. Hopefully that's all, but we shall see.

Anyways, the good thing is that I can work from home so I'm not bored all the time. Once my quarantine time is up, I'm going to try to get a ride back home so that I can get Frankentruck. I miss driving my truck

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8879998)
Prayers for you that all goes well.
Been there, right before Christmas. was not fun, like worst flu i ever had, smell still coming back, but over it in about 8 days. So awesome on the job, intern and such!
be safe, take care of yourself and every couple days let us know you are ok until you are over it.

Thanks! So far, it's been very mild in comparison to others, so I am very thankful for that.

On a happier note, I decided to order some parts that I needed for Frankentruck. I don't have to spend any money on a girl right now, so why not spend more money on my truck :devil:

The Rocknrod 02-14-2021 04:21 PM

Stay Well. Great work on your truck.

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2021 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8880155)
Stay Well. Great work on your truck.

Thanks! I'm already ready to get back to working on it again

Johns 66 02-14-2021 07:12 PM

Praying for your recovery Christian

roll_the_dice 02-14-2021 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear that Christian! Godspeed my friend...you're young...you should be fine! Praying for you always anyway...but now more! :D

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2021 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8880223)
Praying for your recovery Christian

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8880225)
Sorry to hear that Christian! Godspeed my friend...you're young...you should be fine! Praying for you always anyway...but now more! :D

Thanks guys! It seems like I've been getting a little better today, and might have even got some of my taste back. Hopefully it'll be getting better as this week goes on

cwcarpenter98 02-18-2021 11:52 PM

I feel a lot better today, and I was able to put in an 8 hour day for my internship. It's looking like I'll be able to head back to the office on Monday. Gotta work for those truck parts :lol:

88Stanger 02-19-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8882311)
I feel a lot better today, and I was able to put in an 8 hour day for my internship. It's looking like I'll be able to head back to the office on Monday. Gotta work for those truck parts :lol:

That is awesome to hear!!!! just take care of yourself first...

cwcarpenter98 02-25-2021 02:01 PM

It's been nice to be back in the office this week. I feel that I can focus on my work much easier and I don't have to do any work from home.

Unfortunately for me, the parts I ordered on the 14th are in a "severe weather delay"... All I can see is that they left Anaheim on the 16th. No clue what state they are in, or if they've gone up in flames in a wreck.

I had to ship them to my parent's home since that's where the zip on my card is. I don't want to go home to get Frankentruck until the parts show up, so it is what it is

Going junkyarding on Saturday because I don't want to sit in the house much at all this weekend. I'm kinda tired of it :lol:

cwcarpenter98 03-06-2021 09:11 PM

Guess what y'all! I got to hear that sweet, sweet sound of my 283 sbc this evening :metal:

Getter-Done 03-06-2021 09:18 PM

:metal:

Those 283's are smooth.
My 63 had a 283 when I bought it.

cwcarpenter98 03-06-2021 10:23 PM

Yes, they are. I'm glad I stuck with a 283. Not terrible on gas and still gets out of its own way pretty decent. I'll be keeping the 283 in this truck for a long, long time

cwcarpenter98 03-07-2021 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Awwww yes, Frankentruck is back in Milly :metal:

Also, my mom surprised me with one of Bill Elliott's RF tire. I think I'm going to turn it into an end table or something. Not gonna cut it up to do what I want to do though

roll_the_dice 03-07-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8890731)
Awwww yes, Frankentruck is back in Milly :metal:

Also, my mom surprised me with one of Bill Elliott's RF tire. I think I'm going to turn it into an end table or something. Not gonna cut it up to do what I want to do though

That's cool. Bill Elliott was always my favorite driver...

cwcarpenter98 03-07-2021 08:50 PM

Bill was before my time, but I am a fan of Chase. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the Atlanta race on the 21st

cwcarpenter98 03-11-2021 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to drive Frankentruck to my internship today. If I wasn't driving almost 100 miles a day, I would take Frankentruck more often, but that's too painful on my wallet right now :lol:

It's somewhat rare that I take a picture of the passenger side. The lovely primer job on the bed by the previous owner really bugs me some times

The Rocknrod 03-11-2021 02:35 PM

And I bet everyone there loved it.

roll_the_dice 03-11-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8892553)
I decided to drive Frankentruck to my internship today. If I wasn't driving almost 100 miles a day, I would take Frankentruck more often, but that's too painful on my wallet right now :lol:

It's somewhat rare that I take a picture of the passenger side. The lovely primer job on the bed by the previous owner really bugs me some times

What previous owners do/did always baffles me...I always ask was it the era that they repaired/fixed the problem and you do what you have to do mentality or were they too cheap to fix it right or too dumb to know better...Other than the white paint, which I don't mind, that is really the only thing left that the PO did on mine...just have to attack it one job/problem at a time.

Enjoy driving it...the weather is perfect right now!

cwcarpenter98 03-12-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8892567)
And I bet everyone there loved it.

They did! Several of my colleagues commented on how much work I still have left :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8892631)
What previous owners do/did always baffles me...I always ask was it the era that they repaired/fixed the problem and you do what you have to do mentality or were they too cheap to fix it right or too dumb to know better...Other than the white paint, which I don't mind, that is really the only thing left that the PO did on mine...just have to attack it one job/problem at a time.

Enjoy driving it...the weather is perfect right now!

For my truck, I'm thinking too cheap.

Tomorrow, Frankentruck and I are going on an adventure. I'll try to remember to take pictures

cwcarpenter98 03-13-2021 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to post this last night

cwcarpenter98 03-13-2021 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Adventure complete :metal:

Frankentruck did really well pulling a trailer today

roll_the_dice 03-13-2021 04:08 PM

That's an awfully good looking 9' foot bed you got in that trailer! :D