The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

3757chevy 01-01-2024 10:48 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaX522 (Post 9272296)
Got both sides assembled. Installed the new shocks and upper shocks supports. Got the steering linkage installed.
Getting close now.

You are replacing those brake hoses I hope.

novaX522 01-01-2024 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3757chevy (Post 9272299)
You are replacing those brake hoses I hope.

Yah, I have new hoses. Just waiting til I get the brakes on before I replace them. I got the driver side line to break free from brake hose. The passenger side would not break free. I had to cut the brake line, install a new fitting, and double flare the brake line.

Rust_never_sleeps 01-02-2024 03:28 PM

I had not anticipated just how badly I su<k at fabrication, still working on the glovebox :eyeroll:

3757chevy 01-02-2024 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaX522 (Post 9272307)
Yah, I have new hoses. Just waiting til I get the brakes on before I replace them. I got the driver side line to break free from brake hose. The passenger side would not break free. I had to cut the brake line, install a new fitting, and double flare the brake line.

:c2:

Extended Power 01-02-2024 11:23 PM

Almost done the exhaust...need another support hanger on each side.
But I couldn’t wait to hear it with the 4” side pipes.

https://youtu.be/vtFRFWl6ngs?si=RvuSBsvg6Q9I7DJR

I also installed the pressure sender for the new oil pressure gauge, as the stock one still reads about 40psi when the truck wasn’t running. Need to pull the cluster out, and work on that, but I gotta clean up the shop first...metal work is so messy.

dmack91 01-02-2024 11:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Trying to free up space in my shop so I can move the truck in. So I painted a set of ralleys and mounted some used TA radials to make it a roller. Then adapted a squarebody seat into it. Baby steps.

TheRealJimmy 01-03-2024 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
installed a 1 1/2" shorter steering column and lowered the seat 2" with aftermarket brackets. Much more comfortable to me.

novaX522 01-04-2024 12:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Tonight I replaced the bearings and races. Got the bearings packed and the brake rotors installed. Installed the calipers and pads and new brake hoses.
I still need to bleed the brakes, grease ball joints and tie rods and install cotter pins. But I had to put the tires on and see if it sat different with new springs. I put 1” lower springs and removed a 1” spring spacer up front. There was 8” between tire and fender and now there is 6”, math never fails. Lol. I plan to replace the 27” tires with 31” tires, so that will get it down to a 4” gap.

Extended Power 01-04-2024 12:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished the exhaust on the truck.
I'm not a welder, but it shouldn't fall off anyways...

raggedjim 01-04-2024 12:55 AM

novax522, nice work, but your upper a-arms are on the wrong sides. It's a common mistake.

Good luck, Rg

novaX522 01-04-2024 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9272919)
novax522, nice work, but your upper a-arms are on the wrong sides. It's a common mistake.

Good luck, Rg

Wow, you are right! Glad you pointed that out before I tried to drive it. I’ll add that to the list of things to do. 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 😂

raggedjim 01-04-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaX522 (Post 9272980)
Wow, you are right! Glad you pointed that out before I tried to drive it. I’ll add that to the list of things to do. 2 steps forward and 1 step back. 😂

Been there and sometimes still do it! Good luck, Rg

novaX522 01-04-2024 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 9272919)

Good luck, Rg

I got the upper A arms on the correct sides tonight. Thanks again RG! Glad you caught that. I’m going to try to use this as a good excuse to buy another c10. That way if I have one tore apart, I can use the other one as a reference. Lol. Probably won’t work, but worth a try.

raggedjim 01-05-2024 12:04 AM

Great job, that looks much better. The alignment shop would have found it, but it would have cost you!

LUCKTRUCK 01-05-2024 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"what did you do?.... sadly, nothing on the trucks in quite some time. Maybe once all of this certainteed siding and Rockwool insulation is installed on the house, then it will be back to trucks.
How many do you spot?

Chevys4life 01-05-2024 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCKTRUCK (Post 9273243)
"what did you do?.... sadly, nothing on the trucks in quite some time. Maybe once all of this certainteed siding and Rockwool insulation is installed on the house, then it will be back to trucks.
How many do you spot?

Possibly 3 maybe?

'68OrangeSunshine 01-05-2024 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCKTRUCK (Post 9273243)
How many do you spot?

Is that a reddish Stepside buried forward of the 2-tone Orange/White cab on the left?

novaX522 01-06-2024 12:08 AM

Got all the tie rods, ball joints, idler, and pitman nuts snugged and cotter pins installed. Got everything greased. It doesn’t sound like a lot, but it took a while.

Casper42 01-06-2024 01:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
finally found a great 1157 LED bulb that is bright, fits and performs...and reasonably inexpensive. Amazon has them in stock at their fulfillment centers so shipping is fast.

My comparison pic doesn't represent the performance perfectly, as photographing a bright light source is very challenging and it blows out the image.

Backstory: I didn't want to swap out the OE lens with one of those printed circuit board type lenses to get some brightness to the back. So over the past year, I have gone thru and tested numerous 1157 LEDs with little success. Many bulbs will not even mount in the socket as they bottom out before you can twist it to get it secured. Others were nearly hyperbright and had not brightness differentiation when you hit the brake pedal. The last ones I had, where the Sylvania 1157s that anyone can purcahse at any autopart store. These worked, but were dim in the standard "on" position, in fact dimmer than incandescent.

In short, if you want to be seen from behind when you hit that brake pedal, and still have better than OEM brightness when just cruising, these are the ones! We'll see how long they last!

Sicklajoie 01-06-2024 06:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took the Bomber for one last spin today before the snow hits and the salt gets laid down.
It's almost unheard of in Connecticut for it to be this late in the season with no snow yet, so luckily I was able to enjoy driving it for this long till spring.

68bowtie 01-06-2024 09:38 PM

Great looking pickup

novaX522 01-07-2024 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Started on the rear brakes today. Got one side done, also need to make new rear brake lines.

novaX522 01-07-2024 07:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the driver side brakes done and both sides adjusted. Took before and after pictures.

novaX522 01-07-2024 07:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started on the rear brake line. There was nothing wrong with the existing brake line, other than it looked like crap. I had some leftover brake line material from when I redid the brakes on my elCamino. It is a copper/tin alloy. No rusting and super easy to bend. Got one side done tonight.

Steeveedee 01-07-2024 10:22 PM

^ I like that NiCopp line. I'm considering replacing the 54 year old line on my truck with it, just for general principles.