The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

72c20customcamper 07-13-2023 06:07 PM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

3 Attachment(s)
Bought a Jeep .1998 4.0 manual transfer case 4x4. Only spot of rust is on the drivers side rocker . The hood came up on him while he was driving it so it’s sprung won’t closed it don’t look to bad I may be able to fix it . Leather seats in front are ripped rear is perfect. AC works as does everything else truck has 184k miles . So I’m going to do a fast freshening up on it and sell my Envoy use this one in the winter . Rear tailgate is pristine you don’t see that very often the drivers side flairs are in the truck . Typical fix on these as the retainer was cheap stamped steel that rusted away

FleetsidePaul 07-13-2023 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9219600)
Going to have a new asphalt roof put on this year too..I am not healthy enough any more to be on a roof..and I have done a few,,, estimate is around 14K '''''''''''''OUCH!!

Now you're scaring me. I need a roof on my barn. It's not huge but it's barn shaped. Quite a bit of pitch on it. :lol:

I got some quotes on painting my house. I knew going in that it was going to be a lot of money. It's a big house and has a ton of woodwork that needs a lot of prep. They estimate about 3 weeks of work. 27K. Ouch is right. :smoke:

72c20customcamper 07-13-2023 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9219667)
Now you're scaring me. I need a roof on my barn. It's not huge but it's barn shaped. Quite a bit of pitch on it. :lol:

I got some quotes on painting my house. I knew going in that it was going to be a lot of money. It's a big house and has a ton of woodwork that needs a lot of prep. They estimate about 3 weeks of work. 27K. Ouch is right. :smoke:

Roofing is all over the place and there are a lot of swindlers out there . One guy came in a brand new F350 and looked it over for a couple of minutes and gave my mom a quote for 30k next guy 26k . The guy who built the homes in the 70s who has retired had his son come by his quote 18k with Owen's 45 yr roofing and ice shield up 6 feet from the soffits. He buys trailer loads of shingles from GAF directly .

I did the roof 28 years ago with my BIL .

Steeveedee 07-13-2023 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9219667)

We had our rental house painted with Dunn-Edwards paint by a top-notch company for $6k, November of '21. 1800ish Sq Ft. I think you're getting swindled, to use Mark's term.

FleetsidePaul 07-14-2023 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9219691)
We had our rental house painted with Dunn-Edwards paint by a top-notch company for $6k, November of '21. 1800ish Sq Ft. I think you're getting swindled, to use Mark's term.

I'm going to get some more estimates. But this place is 2800 Sq. Ft. and it's a single story ranch house, so it's looong. But the real kicker is the patio eaves and railing. It runs from stem to stern around the whole place and it hasn't been painted since Nixon was President. It's a crispy critter. It's going to take a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease. And I too am going with Dunn Edwards paint because it is really the best. It's worth the price.

These pic's are just one corner of the place. It just keeps going. But it gives you an idea of what I'm looking at.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...dium/Eaves.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...um/Eaves_2.jpg

You can see the barn roof looks bad. But surprisingly it doesn't leak. It's still getting it replaced because it's wood shake and I'm in fire country. Not a good combination. I trimmed all the trees except that oak by my barn because it blocks my friendly :censored: neighbor. The tree guy laughed when I told him not to trim that one and why. :lol:

Steeveedee 07-14-2023 12:47 PM

Our painter pressure washed the rental and cleaned up their mess. Your place is twice the size of our rental, and the paint wasn't that bad. I hope you find a lower estimate. I suspect the underside of those verandas are a big cost upper.

FleetsidePaul 07-14-2023 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9219865)
I suspect the underside of those verandas are a big cost upper.

Good guess. The stucco isn't that much. It's just all the prep on the wood. I've got the biggest veranda you've ever seen... or at least that's what I told her. ;)

Okay I lied. It's not the biggest. But as WC Fields said "Anything worth having is worth cheating for' :lol: I love that line.

Stocker 07-14-2023 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9219867)
But as WC Fields said "Anything worth having is worth cheating for' :lol: I love that line.

With a slight modification, Augustus McCrea (Robert Duvall) put that line to good use in "Lonesome Dove". :D

FleetsidePaul 07-14-2023 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 9219897)
With a slight modification, Augustus McCrea (Robert Duvall) put that line to good use in "Lonesome Dove". :D

With all due respect. WC Fields came first. Robert Duvall (Fine actor) was an itch in his daddy's pants when Fields did it. WC Fields was the best. He knew language and how to spin it and walk the tightrope of the censors. He was a funny guy.

Stocker 07-14-2023 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9219915)
With all due respect. WC Fields came first. Robert Duvall (Fine actor) was an itch in his daddy's pants when Fields did it. WC Fields was the best. He knew language and how to spin it and walk the tightrope of the censors. He was a funny guy.

Oh, of course! I was not suggesting Duvall created the line -- only that he put it to good use. :)

dave6672 07-14-2023 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blew my mower apart to get out the drive shaft that needs bushings replaced.

Boog 07-14-2023 06:40 PM

And of course, you're gonna do the right thing and LS it while you have it apart, right? ;)

tutone 07-14-2023 07:51 PM

Today I worked on my 98 k1500. We went 200 miles to see the grandbaby. I took it cause the diesel is down. It ran fine on the way down and on the way back, 20 miles into the trip, itstarted cutting out under a load. A/C and a steep incline. This has happened before and it usually calls for a new cap and rotor. It was happenning at intervals of 30-40k miles but this time 10k.
So I babied it to I40 and jumped off at Dickson TN 150 miles from home. I asked for a new cap /rotor/ and I bought a little screwdriver set so if needed, I could change it on the way. But we made it home ok.
So today I pulled the new cap out and guess what, it was worse than the one on my truck. It was dirty and used. I called the parts store down there and they fixed it where I could swap it out locally.
The last time this happened, I was still working and we were on a 21 day 12 hr shutdown, so I took it to a reputable garage and they tuned it up.
When I went to tighten my cap, the ear on my distributor was cracked in the front. I made a bracket to clmp it in place until I can get a new one.
So if you guys buy new parts, open the box and take a look.
I was lucky that we made it home.

Gregski 07-14-2023 07:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got some real werk done today !

Gregski 07-14-2023 07:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
where my GMC owners at

Gregski 07-14-2023 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
GMC's rule,
Cheby's drool !

Boog 07-14-2023 09:01 PM

Oh, way too organized for a home build it shop. ;)

Getter-Done 07-14-2023 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6672 (Post 9219947)
Blew my mower apart to get out the drive shaft that needs bushings replaced.

That mower look like the Cyclopes Cubs that I have.
I am putting a Frontend loader on One of them.

One of my (Way to) Many projects. ;)

Getter-Done 07-14-2023 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9220000)
Today I worked on my 98 k1500. We went 200 miles to see the grandbaby. I took it cause the diesel is down. It ran fine on the way down and on the way back, 20 miles into the trip, itstarted cutting out under a load. A/C and a steep incline. This has happened before and it usually calls for a new cap and rotor. It was happenning at intervals of 30-40k miles but this time 10k.
So I babied it to I40 and jumped off at Dickson TN 150 miles from home. I asked for a new cap /rotor/ and I bought a little screwdriver set so if needed, I could change it on the way. But we made it home ok.
So today I pulled the new cap out and guess what, it was worse than the one on my truck. It was dirty and used. I called the parts store down there and they fixed it where I could swap it out locally.
The last time this happened, I was still working and we were on a 21 day 12 hr shutdown, so I took it to a reputable garage and they tuned it up.
When I went to tighten my cap, the ear on my distributor was cracked in the front. I made a bracket to clmp it in place until I can get a new one.
So if you guys buy new parts, open the box and take a look.
I was lucky that we made it home.

Yeah
I agree:metal:
Check those parts:lol:

I keep a rotor button and a set of (Fan) belts under the seat:chevy::chevy:

Getter-Done 07-14-2023 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 9220004)
GMC's rule,
Cheby's drool !

Nice work on the cart.:metal:

special-K 07-14-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9219855)
I'm going to get some more estimates. But this place is 2800 Sq. Ft. and it's a single story ranch house, so it's looong. But the real kicker is the patio eaves and railing. It runs from stem to stern around the whole place and it hasn't been painted since Nixon was President. It's a crispy critter. It's going to take a lot of sandpaper and elbow grease. And I too am going with Dunn Edwards paint because it is really the best. It's worth the price.

These pic's are just one corner of the place. It just keeps going. But it gives you an idea of what I'm looking at.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...dium/Eaves.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...um/Eaves_2.jpg

You can see the barn roof looks bad. But surprisingly it doesn't leak. It's still getting it replaced because it's wood shake and I'm in fire country. Not a good combination. I trimmed all the trees except that oak by my barn because it blocks my friendly :censored: neighbor. The tree guy laughed when I told him not to trim that one and why. :lol:

Are you going to put a metal roof on the barn?
I never heard of Dunn Edwards Paint. I see it's only available in the arid states. Won't it hold up to rain? :lol: It must have a special formula for dry heat resistance. I'm surprised there is still a regional paint company. in Maryland was Duron Paint and that was the best I ever used. Sherwinn Williams bought them up

Steeveedee 07-14-2023 10:42 PM

Dunn-Edwards is good paint. We had our place painted 18 years ago and it's still going strong.

dieseldawg142 07-14-2023 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my son lurned a good lesson today 'bout keeping his chrome clean.
we spent about 5 hrs polishing his rims....by hand...with some Mothers- no power, all manual elbow grease
Attachment 2278349Attachment 2278350

Gregski 07-15-2023 10:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so I mounted these sexy hooks in the garage the other day, I just had to have 'em

and now I forgot what I'm supposed to hang on 'em

special-K 07-15-2023 11:33 AM

It'll come to you. I like the GMC letter on the tool chest. So move that towel or whatever it is you slob!! :lol:

I put a GMC emblem, I think, from an early van on the cross box on my '72. It covers the bee holes left after removing the TSC emblem