The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

idbeast 08-25-2020 01:29 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

1 Attachment(s)
I came across a picture from a cruise Saturday... I decided to leave the emblems off for now.

jweb 08-25-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8796797)
Cleaned up those long tail light bolts. Can't remember who on this site made a comment on them and I thought, 'yeah good idea'. It's the little details.

Now I need to find a better wire cover. The rubber cups over the bulb ends is already cracking. Thinking of stainless over braid and some shrink tube to seal the fray. Other ideas?:metal:

You can use the stainless conduit that's made for these lights:
https://www.classicparts.com/1941-87...tinfo/49-603/#

Johns327 08-25-2020 04:02 PM

Dransport - I think I will pass on bluetooth taillights, I want them to work ALL of the time. :lol:

57tailgater - Plug boots, that is a interesting way to finish the over braid hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Fitz57 - You had them long? Mine were not old, nor did they see a lot of UV, just cruddy cracking rubber.

Daze57 - Wow, 3/4" brake line, what are you stopping. I've seen on some old post of folks using bent tubing for this. They double duty it to hide the wire and support the light, it's very clean.

jweb - I saw those stainless conduit while looking at the rubber boot type. The part that goes over the tail light connection almost looks screw on. Have you ever tried them?

idbeast - I like the truck without the emblems. Your truck looks great!:metal:

jweb 08-25-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8797884)

jweb - I saw those stainless conduit while looking at the rubber boot type. The part that goes over the tail light connection almost looks screw on. Have you ever tried them?

I have them on my '51, if I remember correctly the conduit goes in through the front of the tail light. It's been awhile since I installed these, so I will double check tonight after work.

mick53 08-30-2020 09:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I started making a distributor block off plate for my 292. For a few bucks you can buy many different styles for V8's but can't find one for a 292. 3 O-rings is probably overkill but I have a whole box of them. I will be running a vacuum in my crankcase.

Fitz57 08-30-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8797884)
Dransport - I think I will pass on bluetooth taillights, I want them to work ALL of the time. :lol:

57tailgater - Plug boots, that is a interesting way to finish the over braid hadn't thought of that, thanks.

Fitz57 - You had them long? Mine were not old, nor did they see a lot of UV, just cruddy cracking rubber.

Daze57 - Wow, 3/4" brake line, what are you stopping. I've seen on some old post of folks using bent tubing for this. They double duty it to hide the wire and support the light, it's very clean.

idbeast - I like the truck without the emblems. Your truck looks great!:metal:

I just bought them about a month ago, so not sure how they will hold up

_Ogre 08-30-2020 01:02 PM

dang! fancy smancy :D

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1598795017

MiraclePieCo 08-31-2020 03:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I cruised out to a nearby ghost town for a photo session:

mick53 08-31-2020 09:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Still working on my distributor block off plate. I always seem to miss the hole when I measure it so I made a little pin to mark it. I made this little jig so I could cut the small radius. The large one I could put in the rotary vice.

Fitz57 08-31-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz57 (Post 8800224)
I just bought them about a month ago, so not sure how they will hold up

OK went and looked at My tail light wire covers and they are cracking. Junk.

mick53 08-31-2020 11:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Still working on my distributor block off plate. I used a round over bit for the edges. I usually just sand or file them but they never look quite right. All that is left is to sand polish and prep the block.

mick53 09-01-2020 03:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finished the block off plate and cleaned up the block. The inside was never meant to be a sealing surface so I ran a small drum sander in it. She's a plain Jane but I'm happy with her. I realize that a plate with RTV would have worked fine. All it does is maintain vacuum and keep it from sucking in rocks. This is the second time I have made something from scratch on the lathe. I learned a lot and tried new things like O rings. I buy random scraps of 6061 aluminum for about $2 a pound. I only have about a buck in this if you don't count the parting tool I broke. FYI if you don't know anything about speeds and feeds don't use power cross feed for parting. Thank goodness for inserts. Now I will have to address the ugly SBC fuel pump block off. Thank you for your time I feel I'm posting too much.

vintovka 09-01-2020 07:12 PM

sweet!

Kevin Mac 09-02-2020 08:11 AM

mick53, looking good, I don't think you are posting too much. i like seeing what you are making. The blank off plate turned out nice.
Mac

Johns327 09-02-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz57 (Post 8801122)
OK went and looked at My tail light wire covers and they are cracking. Junk.

Fitz57 – That stinks. Manufactures put out junk and don’t care what a pain in the back side their stuff becomes. I’ve read so many posts on this site with folks buying parts to find that it's trash. It always makes you ask yourself, “is it junk or will it work?” when looking at parts.

Now you have the same issue I have with cracked wire covers. From classicparts Jweb bought the metal looking version. I’ve thought about those, sounds like he’s had them for a while. I’m not sure of the installation since there isn’t any instructions on their website. I do know stainless over braid will work with some shrink tubing or the spark plug boot (unsure on the UV with these) that was suggested.

Well another project.:metal:

MARTINSR 09-02-2020 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8800594)
I cruised out to a nearby ghost town for a photo session:

Cool stuff!

Brian

MARTINSR 09-02-2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Mac (Post 8801866)
mick53, looking good, I don't think you are posting too much. i like seeing what you are making. The blank off plate turned out nice.
Mac

Yep, amazing work for sure. I will never forget when Billet Aluminum stuff first hit the hot rods, in the eighties. John Buttera funny car racer and rod builder was one of the first to use it on his Model A roadster that would win the "America's Most Beautiful Roadster" award.

He said one of the funniest things ever about it. I forget what it was he had made, I think it was a mirror. And he was quoted in a Street Rodder or Rod Action magazine saying "You simply get a piece of aluminum and mill off everything that doesn't look like a mirror." LOL I have used that joke about bondo ever since.

Brian

mick53 09-02-2020 11:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I started my fuel pump block off plate today. I had one on there for a SBC. It looked terrible and barely covered the hole. It almost seems that when they cast the block 50 years ago that they didn't take into account that one day I would want to put a symmetrical cover on it. So I ground the block to fit the cover around the edges. Time to sand and polish, hooray.

la hi 09-03-2020 08:15 AM

I put my 57 chevy stepside up for sale this week. I have had it since 2011 and enjoyed working on it. Since winter is coming I need the space for one less truck as I must now protect my 66 bronco.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto...189179486.html

Russell Ashley 09-03-2020 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la hi (Post 8802357)
I put my 57 chevy stepside up for sale this week. I have had it since 2011 and enjoyed working on it. Since winter is coming I need the space for one less truck as I must now protect my 66 bronco.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/cto...189179486.html

Good luck with the sale. I'm wanting to sell mine too due to my health problems. I like your comment in your ad that the body parts need to fit together better, but that is a comment you could have made about these trucks when they were still in the showroom, LOL.

Russell Ashley 09-03-2020 11:29 AM

Thank you for your time I feel I'm posting too much.[/QUOTE]
No, you are not posting too much. I like what you are doing with that engine and enjoy reading about it. You are doing some beautiful work.

Fitz57 09-03-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns327 (Post 8802157)
Fitz57 – That stinks. Manufactures put out junk and don’t care what a pain in the back side their stuff becomes. I’ve read so many posts on this site with folks buying parts to find that it's trash. It always makes you ask yourself, “is it junk or will it work?” when looking at parts.

Now you have the same issue I have with cracked wire covers. From classicparts Jweb bought the metal looking version. I’ve thought about those, sounds like he’s had them for a while. I’m not sure of the installation since there isn’t any instructions on their website. I do know stainless over braid will work with some shrink tubing or the spark plug boot (unsure on the UV with these) that was suggested.

Well another project.:metal:

The search continues, I can’t use the metal version on a short bed because it will rub on back of rear fender

1project2many 09-03-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Still working on my distributor block off plate. I used a round over bit for the edges. I usually just sand or file them but they never look quite right. All that is left is to sand polish and prep the block.
That looks good. I usually just make a round plug in the lathe then use the distributor hold down plate. Then again, my engines don't have as much shiny stuff on them.

DransportGarage 09-03-2020 08:57 PM

Mick, You're not posting too much. You're doing all the stuff we all wish we had the time, money, equipment and skill to do! When I pull up this thread I can always tell if the post on the screen is yours or not - in a good way!

mick53 09-03-2020 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished my fuel pump block off plate.