The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

72c20customcamper 02-13-2024 12:30 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

2 Attachment(s)
Back on the truck . Think in the spring I’m going to pull the column and paint it body color also

Tipster_621 02-13-2024 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRL (Post 9285894)
Hey I'm old and fat too, which is why my truck is up in the garage remaining at stock ride height while I'm down here laying in bed watching HDTV and playing with my smartphone. :haha:

I couldn't help but notice the Beetle down in the corner of your picture! What can you tell me about that one? My first car was a '70 Beetle. I learned a lot about working on cars, working on it with my Dad.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-13-2024 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9286680)
Back on the truck . Think in the spring I’m going to pull the column and paint it body color also

Turned out real nice.

3757chevy 02-13-2024 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9286680)

WOW! That looks real good.:metal:

BRL 02-14-2024 07:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipster_621 (Post 9286692)
I couldn't help but notice the Beetle down in the corner of your picture! What can you tell me about that one? My first car was a '70 Beetle. I learned a lot about working on cars, working on it with my Dad.

Oh cool, it's a '73 bug that was on sale at the corner gas station for $800.
Test drove it and the seller talked himself down to $400 before I shut him up and bought it.
It ran but not all that great so I put in a new 1914cc SCAT motor...BIG FUN!
The master cylinder eventually went out so I got another one in 2020 along with all the parts to rebuild the brakes on all 4 corners but I then came down with a serious case of retirement syndrome and it has been sitting ever since. 😴

Tipster_621 02-14-2024 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRL (Post 9286891)
Oh cool, it's a '73 bug that was on sale at the corner gas station for $800.
Test drove it and the seller talked himself down to $400 before I shut him up and bought it.
It ran but not all that great so I put in a new 1914cc SCAT motor...BIG FUN!
The master cylinder eventually went out so I got another one in 2020 along with all the parts to rebuild the brakes on all 4 corners but I then came down with a serious case of retirement syndrome and it has been sitting ever since. 😴

Nice pics! '73 was the last year for the flat windshield, if I remember correctly. It's too bad - you just don't see many, if any, around much anymore. Thanks for posting those!

OK, folks, sorry for the tangent. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

BRL 02-14-2024 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tipster_621 (Post 9286903)
...OK, folks, sorry for the tangent. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Oh not quite yet, I may just have got the motivation to get off my dead bottom and work on the dang thing...maybe.
I noticed when taking a picture of my moldy steering wheel that there is a camper propane stove in the background. 🤔
Open the oven door, fire up the 4 burners up top and eliminate one more lazy excuse not to get up there and fix the dang thing.
I'll keep you posted.

Now back to our regularly scheduled truck stuff. :burnout:

dmack91 02-16-2024 12:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got bored and converted a $5 swapmeet original AM radio to Bluetooth. The truck is nowhere near ready for it, so I wired it to a spare battery and some ancient speakers and sounded good.

Gutted the original radio except the tuning shaft and on/off/volume assembly. Removed the back section of the rheostat, which left a shaft I was able to file to fit the Bluetooth on/off/volume knobs.

I figured the $18 Bluetooth assembly was worth a try .

'68OrangeSunshine 02-16-2024 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmack91 (Post 9287639)
Got bored and converted a $5 swapmeet original AM radio to Bluetooth. The truck is nowhere near ready for it, so I wired it to a spare battery and some ancient speakers and sounded good.

Gutted the original radio except the tuning shaft and on/off/volume assembly. Removed the back section of the rheostat, which left a shaft I was able to file to fit the Bluetooth on/off/volume knobs.

I figured the $18 Bluetooth assembly was worth a try .

Cool. Do the Station pushbuttons still work?

dmack91 02-16-2024 12:34 PM

Yes, the pushbuttons do still work, but the AM radio was dead before I gutted it. So they are just for looks now.

CAMAROBOY68SS 02-18-2024 02:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well this was yesterday, but been spending the last 2 weeks getting the C10 all shined up for a couple indoor shows coming up. Finally had a dry day so yanked the car trailer out of the shop, unloaded the show car and loaded the truck up because its probably gonna be raining on set up day.

Danyo492 02-20-2024 09:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
^The colors on both of those are gorgeous.

I test fit the React Suspension trailing arm crossmember last night. Freshly powder coated so I had to make sure I didn't scratch it all up. Had to open the holes a little bit to fit the new hardware, super impressed with the fit and finish.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-20-2024 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a big deal, but it is to me, Haggerty gave me a 125K guaranteed value on my rebuild, no questions asked after I gave them a 190 row punch list in excel, and 15 images today, which included, spid, build sheet and Vin plate. A jump from 80K, I feel so much better about it. $400 more a year though, too close to 1K annually for perhaps 3-4 hundred miles a year

Jiggers72-GMC 02-21-2024 08:25 AM

Beautiful truck,
What's Haggerty, do you mean Hagerty ??
What does this mean? '' I gave them a 190 row punch list in excel"

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-21-2024 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiggers72-GMC (Post 9289446)
Beautiful truck,
What's Haggerty, do you mean Hagerty ??
What does this mean? '' I gave them a 190 row punch list in excel"

Yeah Hagerty. A punch list of every expense on the truck. More like 196 rows. Looks like this....Edit: the list is broke down to categories of A. buying the truck in 1st place plus OEM rebuilds (e.g. drivetrain, hinges). B. Services such as for body, finishes, restorations, maiden start services, hauling. C. OEM parts costs, they're all listed, same everything else. D. NOS parts costs. D. Replacement parts and supplies costs. Subtotal. Then E. I added my equipment purchased for one use on this project only, such as an engine hoist. About $1600, nothing major. Subtotal. F. I added my labor. Apparently a good operation takes that into consideration. I figured 6 hrs. a week for 7 years, that's about right, times $15 an hour. About 32K, making the pitch that even if done in half the time by a pro., the cost would be 55K-110K at $50-$100 an hour. My total is 114.5, but man, I only paid $2800 for the truck to begin with, for instance.

My OCD has its limitations, I rounded every part and that to the nearest $25, and the costs are by memory. I can't speak for their considerations, I'm just content they met my comfort level.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-21-2024 08:32 PM

A couple buddies came over, and we put my Orange '68 Stepside up on jackstands, and then dropped the prop shaft.
Then I ran it downtown to Tim at Precision Driveline and dropped the prop shaft off. He's gonna put a new tube on it.
Might be a couple weeks,

'68OrangeSunshine 02-21-2024 08:47 PM

A couple buddies came over, and we put my Orange '68 Stepside up on jackstands, and then dropped the prop shaft.
Then I ran it downtown to Tim at Precision Driveline and dropped the prop shaft off. He's gonna put a new tube on it.
Might be a couple weeks,

'68OrangeSunshine 02-21-2024 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of the propshaft on the shop floor
Mine's the tannish diagonal one. You can see the ding.

pjmoreland 02-21-2024 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine (Post 9289650)
Here's a shot of the propshaft on the shop floor
Mine's the tannish diagonal one. You can see the ding.

That looks painful. That's gotta be the source of the vibration, don't you think? I had a 67 shortbed daily driver a number of years ago that had a 250 in it. It had a one-piece driveshaft, too.

'68OrangeSunshine 02-21-2024 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjmoreland (Post 9289679)
That looks painful. That's gotta be the source of the vibration, don't you think? I had a 67 shortbed daily driver a number of years ago that had a 250 in it. It had a one-piece driveshaft, too.

Yeah. Definitely the source of upper RPM vibrations.
He's gonna replace the ''pipe'' and remount the ends. New U-Joints, Balance, etc...
Should come in a little north of three nuts.
:chevy:

Jiggers72-GMC 02-22-2024 08:35 AM

Tony, thanks for the breakdown info on your build, I might do the same on mine.

hdrolling 02-22-2024 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Giving the old girl some TLC..

72c20customcamper 03-03-2024 02:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put a new seat cover on the Anniversary truck . Cheap Walmart special on clearance for $16 . See how it holds up

Belsh 03-03-2024 03:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Welded my first ever panel, lots more to go!

Jiggers72-GMC 03-03-2024 06:10 PM

Nice seat cover Mark, very psychedelic :)

nice work Belsh