The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Building a Blazer - vtblazer's Way (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=301206)

jaros44sr 01-02-2009 06:43 AM

Re: Building a Blazer - vtblazer's Way

Nice stuff there, did you install the locker? Could you give me a site for the rotors, I went back and reread your thread but didn't see anything

I'm trying to assemble my HEI, but I'm stuck on which springs to install on the mechanical advance? Any ideas, I'm thinking the lightest ones, to give me total advance rite away, but don't know...

if this is a hijack, I will delete and post it on mine

vtblazer 01-02-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3061058)
Nice stuff there, did you install the locker? Could you give me a site for the rotors, I went back and reread your thread but didn't see anything

I'm trying to assemble my HEI, but I'm stuck on which springs to install on the mechanical advance? Any ideas, I'm thinking the lightest ones, to give me total advance rite away, but don't know...

if this is a hijack, I will delete and post it on mine

All the front axle parts came from here:
http://extremeaxlesales.com/contact-us.aspx

I didn't install a locker, this axle already has a limited slip in it and that's fine for now.

As for the springs in your HEI, do they you any specs telling you which springs do what?
(what RPM they reach total advance)
I've always liked the idea of matching the cam profile.

jaros44sr 01-02-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3061103)
All the front axle parts came from here:
http://extremeaxlesales.com/contact-us.aspx

I didn't install a locker, this axle already has a limited slip in it and that's fine for now.

As for the springs in your HEI, do they you any specs telling you which springs do what?
(what RPM they reach total advance)
I've always liked the idea of matching the cam profile.

OK on the locker, I now understand...

On the HEI I opened it up and the factory has installed the lightest springs...curve start 400,engine RPM total 1600. I think I opened a can of worms with this stuff, as I have no idea what I'm doing. There is a thread/FAQ on the pickup side I will be reading and trying to understand in the next couple days. My head hurts already, and I haven't even thought about cam profile. Is there an easy way out???

vtblazer 01-02-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3061130)
Is there an easy way out???

Sure, leave things alone until you get it running, from there start the 'real world' testing.

jaros44sr 01-02-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3061143)
Sure, leave things alone until you get it running, from there start the 'real world' testing.

Mounted the HEI in the motor this morning, get motor running and set up for the road. I plan to run manifold vacuum, OK?...sounds like a plan

Thanks for the link

EFI70Blazer 01-02-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3059714)
Hubs & disc's all set.

Decided to tone down the ARB cover a tad too.

Nothing special but here's the latest pix:

Front end looks awesome. Are you putting a Detroit locker in the rear or did i miss that somewhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3061151)
Mounted the HEI in the motor this morning, get motor running and set up for the road. I plan to run manifold vacuum, OK?...sounds like a plan

Hopefully you don't have an adjustable vacuum advance on your HEI. Just 1 more thing you have to mess with to get it dialed in right.

vtblazer 01-03-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFI70Blazer (Post 3061943)
Front end looks awesome. Are you putting a Detroit locker in the rear or did i miss that somewhere?

Already has a Detroit in it from the factory. :cool:

The axle set is from an '86 CUCV truck.

LUV2XCLR8 01-03-2009 08:24 AM

Kurt,

I was curious about something,

How many gallons per mile?

Looking Sweet :cool:

vtblazer 01-03-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 3063078)
Kurt,

I was curious about something,

How many gallons per mile?

Looking Sweet :cool:

Craig, I think it will surprise a lot of people, maybe you the most with that 'gallons per mile' shot.

Just guessing, I'll throw out...12 to 15 mpg at least, possibly better.

vtblazer 01-03-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3061151)
Thanks for the link

NAP

Ask for Doug, real decent guy to deal with.

LUV2XCLR8 01-03-2009 09:33 AM

WOW, that is good, I didn't get that in "GQ" with 3.08's :lol:

vtblazer 01-03-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 3063141)

GQ didn't have overdrive. ;)

Quick edit:

Overdrive isn't what 'makes' good fuel economy, it only lends to the options of gearing.

That being the case, GQ had 35's w/3:08's, a great highway gear combo but a really/really poor 'around town set up, that's where you paid dearly for the MPG you got.

Having overdrive allows for a much higher number gearing (4:11's/4:46's etc)
So...with the 4:56's getting the big pig rolling is easier and with the 30% overdrive and a locked up torque converter from the 700r, highway RPM's are going to be right around the 2K mark @ 65mph giving the small block a chance to 'relax' a little.

:but: I realize you already knew all that stuff and were just busting on my blazer balls in the first place. ;) :lol:

FormerMember 01-03-2009 10:17 AM

Also, the 700R4 has a steeper first gear, which will get the pig rolling easier.

Big J 01-03-2009 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 3063141)

WOW, I didn't realize "GQ" ever made it out of the garage and onto the road.:lol::lol::lol: Shoulda got real good mileage with it sittin' for so long, lol....

Just teasin'. Hope this next project works out better.

vtblazer 01-03-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3063269)
WOW, I didn't realize "GQ" ever made it out of the garage and onto the road.

:Own:

:jest:

Chevyman63 01-03-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3063269)
WOW, I didn't realize "GQ" ever made it out of the garage and onto the road.:lol::lol::lol: Shoulda got real good mileage with it sittin' for so long, lol....

Just teasin'. Hope this next project works out better.

Ouch...that's gonna leave a mark!

Ron 586 01-03-2009 04:08 PM

I took a 3 mile cruise in GQ about 2 years ago. I made a big mistake when I didn't buy it when I had a chance. Spilled milk, just move on and see what happens down the road.

vtblazer 01-08-2009 07:13 PM

Okay, still waiting on the Ballistic arms to get here. :cuss:

Axles are done, hubs are done...all I wanna do is get this thing finished and back under the blazer. :banghead: :rolleyes: :lol:

vtblazer 01-11-2009 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Decided to move ahead without the arms.

Called Ballistic on Friday again and the parts still hadn't even shipped out, so I did everything else and will install the arms when they finally get here.

Turned out to be a pretty fun rebuild, should last a good long time.

It's a decent D60, 35slpine outer stub shafts, Warn premium lockouts, limited slip in the diff & all the innards are now happy. :lol:

Chevyman63 01-11-2009 09:26 PM

Progress...Cool!

4bynut 01-11-2009 09:47 PM

Lookin Good!! I hope them arms are worth the wait. I was planning on getting a pair later but maybe i should order them now. Maybe then i'd have them by the time i'm ready to use them.;)

Jason

vtblazer 01-12-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4bynut (Post 3080683)
Lookin Good!! I hope them arms are worth the wait. I was planning on getting a pair later but maybe i should order them now. Maybe then i'd have them by the time i'm ready to use them.;)

Jason

To be fair, I think there was some sort of 'goof up' within their system, I don't believe this is the norm, I've heard their generally really good about getting product out but who really knows, certainly didn't work that way in my case.

Guess I better clean up that McUgly tie rod, huh? :rolleyes:

Big J 01-12-2009 09:49 AM

Wow look how much U-bolt ya got left. You should toss some 4" blocks in there and get it up some more.:metal::lol::lol::lol: What color ya paintin' the tie rod? Orange, grey, or black?

jaros44sr 01-12-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3081396)
To be fair, I think there was some sort of 'goof up' within their system, I don't believe this is the norm, I've heard their generally really good about getting product out but who really knows, certainly didn't work that way in my case.

Guess I better clean up that McUgly tie rod, huh? :rolleyes:

I didn't want to say it, but since you brought it up. Yes, clean it up while you're waiting for parts:lol:...Rest of it looks sweet tho

vtblazer 01-12-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3081555)
Wow look how much U-bolt ya got left. You should toss some 4" blocks in there and get it up some more.:metal::lol::lol::lol: What color ya paintin' the tie rod? Orange, grey, or black?

When I had the U-bolts made up, I asked em to add an inch in total, just incase I run a thicker spring pack.
Problem is, I'm not sure they threaded them low enough.

Tie Rod color...? Guess I had that one coming didn't I? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3081556)
I didn't want to say it, but since you brought it up. Yes, clean it up while you're waiting for parts:lol:...Rest of it looks sweet tho

Still on the cuff about just doing a high steer now...dunno yet.
Don't really care for the way the T/R covers up my bling-bling cover ya know.