The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   It’s Just A Pickup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=318544)

mcbassin 12-12-2010 11:50 PM

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Awesome pictures, progress and as always detailed description. Thanks!

jgh64pkup 12-13-2010 01:43 AM

great build!
subscribed

62 short step 12-14-2010 10:56 AM

Very nice!

my67chevytruck 12-14-2010 11:13 AM

Nice work Bruce.....

Bruce88 12-15-2010 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A tool that’s hard to do without
But rarely needed or used

The ignition switch bezel on the 68 – 72 trucks can be hard to remove or install without damaging it without a special tool. You can look around the web and find a tool to buy or you can make your own.

I made a tool to do the job and maybe you would like to make one to. It’s not that hard, just takes a little time and attention to accuracy in locating the pin holes.

I made mine out of ½ inch thick aluminum stock that I had around the shop and 3/32 DIA roll pins plus a 3/8 x 1-1/4 long bolt & nuts. It could also be made out of some ¼ inch thick stock. Ideally a peace of aluminum 2-1/4 inch in DIA and ¼ inch thick would be the best to start with and save the time in cutting it into a circle.

You will need a drill press to drill the holes straight. A 3/32 (.094) drill bit and a 3/8 (.375) drill bit. A center punch to locate the hole locations accurately (preventing the drill bit from wandering during drilling).

Locating the three holes accurately on the 1-3/4 (1.75) DIA circle shown in the picture below is a must. If there not, the roll pins may not go into the bezel notches correctly and the tool will not work.

The picture below (template) is made at actual size and can be used to locate the pin holes accurately, just print the template and tape it to your stock. One problem you might have with printing the template is to make sure that your printer is set to print actual size/100%, some printers will expand or shrink to fit the paper size. One way to check that it printed correctly is to measure across the red circle on the template and if it measures 2-1/4 (2.25) inches it printed correctly.

I also put some roll pins in the tool to remove/install the dash knob bezels. Might as well get multiple uses out of a specialty tool (smile). Note there are two types of dash knob bezels used and the pins only will work on the small bezels with the holes.

Attachment 668791

Attachment 668792

Body and paint update
Found a good day to get the truck back down to the body and paint shop with out it getting soaked. Minimizing the painting delay.

Attachment 668793

A small gift of a how to and knowledge to you, enjoy the holidays and don’t forget to enjoy your build (smile).

VA72C10 12-15-2010 07:19 PM

nice writeup on the tool and the truck is looking good!

swamp rat 12-15-2010 08:04 PM

Nice custom tool! Sure beats how i removed mine!

Stubbs67 12-16-2010 05:01 PM

bruce it is friggen awesome I CANNOT WAIT to see her painted and trimmed in all her glory!!!

Hubscrub 12-16-2010 11:10 PM

i love how you detail everything you do i'm gonna do the ground wire thing to my lights like you did because i have one loseing ground alot. Very nice build you have going

raider65 12-17-2010 12:31 PM

This build has just soo much detail it's incredible!

RCbowtie69 12-19-2010 09:00 PM

nice build!! keep up the hard work, like to see the finish product, keep on truckin'':metal:

Seventy Two 12-30-2010 12:49 PM

Bruce, your work and detailed descriptions are outstanding! I'm looking foreward to your next update.

Bruce88 01-01-2011 04:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Filling the hole
It works today but will it work tomorrow

At some time when working on your truck you will find the need to add or modify wiring. The use of insulated terminals/splices would be the most common connectors that you would be working with. Yes there are plenty of other connectors out there like Weather pack, Packard 56, not insulated, and so on, all requiring their own and separate crimping tools and step to put them together.

I was helping a friend the other day figuring out why the tail lights on the old trailer he bought where not working right. I think we ran into a lot of the common mistakes that people make from twisting wires together & taping it up with electrical tape, putting the bear wire under a screw for a ground, the quick wire taps used, and so on. They all worked the day it was put together but with time, vibration and weather they failed in the end. If they would have taken the time to do the wiring terminals/splices correctly the problems that we ran into would not have happened.

One process of terminals/ splices that little information is commonly known is how to figure multiple wire termination and chousing the right size terminal/splice to use. When splicing two wires the same size together it’s easy just pick the splice color for that wire size. But when your putting more than one wire in a terminal or one end of a splice you need to figure out what size is needed, to small and all the wires will not fit and to large and the crimp will be loose and not be a good connection.

There are two way of calculating wire area (kcmil) thousand circular mils or (mm2) square millimeter, both are just a way to figure how much area a wire will take up. In the chart and calculation below I’m using (mm2) area for the process.

In the two pictures below I think you can find enough information on how to figure out the right size terminal/splice to use in your wiring projects. There’s no way to give you the answer for every situation and different wire sizes, you need to calculate each multiple wire termination. But the examples should give you a starting point. May all your terminations be good and not cause problems down the road.

Attachment 674774

Attachment 674775

Just a picture of some of the terminals/ splices that I had laying around the shop and wiring I’ve been doing for the instrument cluster going under the dash. You find the quick tap splices everywhere (in the box below) I personally would not use them, they can cut the wire strand when being installed and corrosion is a problem if in a wet environment.

Attachment 674776

Heat shrink tubing is a nice finishing touch to add to terminals/splices giving added insulation/protection and help preventing water from getting into the splice causing possible corrosion. I’ve used a lighter to shrink the tubing but you always run into the problem of melting/burning the tubing. There’s some handy butane torches out there that do a good job of concentrating the heat and not burning the tubing. If you get one just look for one with the shield and tube to concentrate the heat and prevent burning.

Attachment 674777

Just passing on some information and tips that might help you out with a wiring project.

Body and paint update
Not a lot done since the last update just some block sanding, the color and clear coat should be laid down next week. Where somewhat behind anticipated schedule but with the weather delays and the holiday season it isn’t too bad.

Happy New Year

glimmertwin01 01-01-2011 10:17 AM

learned alot of this through trial and error... :_ the butt connectors that are heat shrinkable are nice too... i prefer to make western union type connections then solder and shrink tube.... it takes a while... but they never fail....

Bruce88 01-06-2011 09:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some are in and some are out
Not all can fit in at the same time, it’s just too much

Body and paint update
All the bed panels are painted and out of the paint booth. The cab is in and should have its paint today. By next week everything should be back in my shop and the reassembly of all the parts will start.

Attachment 677489

Attachment 677490

Attachment 677491

Enjoy your build

my67chevytruck 01-06-2011 10:39 PM

looks outstanding. nice progess...

mcbassin 01-06-2011 10:48 PM

The paint looks great, nice progress Bruce! What type of paint are you using?

swamp rat 01-06-2011 11:06 PM

Nice!!

Bruce88 01-06-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4392936)
The paint looks great, nice progress Bruce! What type of paint are you using?

The paint the paint shop uses is by BASF Glasurit 90-Line Waterborne basecoat system. The color is the match for GM 505 green

srea76 01-06-2011 11:40 PM

amazing build

mcbassin 01-06-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce88 (Post 4393038)
The paint the paint shop uses is by BASF Glasurit 90-Line Waterborne basecoat system. The color is the match for GM 505 green

Thanks, I was wondering if you were using BC/CC it looks great and should hold up great too....after all it's just a pickup right?.:chevy:

VA72C10 01-07-2011 12:45 AM

very nice!!!

frog trucker 01-07-2011 01:26 AM

WOW! Lookin' great Bruce!
And I too want to thank you for sharing all the great info!

Stubbs67 01-07-2011 01:56 AM

simply amazing... im speechless... and jealous :metal:

Bruce88 01-07-2011 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The pictures don’t do it justice
The painter laid down a very nice finish

I was down at the shop picking up some of the small parts that I can transport in my small car and that don’t need any further work. The cab is out of the paint booth and the finish the painter has laid down is as good as what could have been seen at the dealership when the truck was new (probably better). Very minor color sanding will be required, just some polishing and it will be done. The painter has definitely showed his very good abilities and quality work.

Attachment 677795

Attachment 677796

I know that this is a quick update (short time) since the last. I was just so impressed with the outcome at this stage that I wanted to share it with you (smile).

Enjoy your build