The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=486137)

OrrieG 02-13-2012 01:01 AM

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Finished up the tailgate cables, took two different tries to get it the way I wanted.

youngrodder 02-13-2012 10:45 AM

I worked on converting my OEM dome light for my 48 over to LED..It will look stock until you turn on the light. I will do a write up once I'm finished. I stole the idea from someone that did that same thing for a 58-59. It is a little different for AD trucks. Inexpensive as well.

So far it coming together nicely.

Marc

Daze57 02-13-2012 01:29 PM

youngrodder

do you happen to have a link for the 58-59 dome light idea? i am a guessin it would be the same for us 55-57 guys

weaintscared 02-13-2012 01:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got come seat from the junk yard set them in place looks good think these just might work.
My build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=468622

Daze57 02-13-2012 01:43 PM

whoa --- dem is some very nice seats !

youngrodder 02-13-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5185641)
youngrodder

do you happen to have a link for the 58-59 dome light idea? i am a guessin it would be the same for us 55-57 guys

Daze57

Ok, I had to do some diggin....It was OKGMC4 that I barrowed the idea from and it was for his 56 (not 58 as I stated previously..ooops).
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=368649&page=7

The LED circuit board I bought was a smaller size beacuse the light housing for a 47-53 is different.

Marc

oldcouple 02-13-2012 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Stopped by the shop, bed is painted, yippee!

Dan in Pasadena 02-13-2012 09:07 PM

Lookin good. If it were mine I'd be REAL excited. Is it dark gray or black but hard to see in the photo?

Dan in Pasadena 02-13-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 5186034)
Daze57

Ok, I had to do some diggin....It was OKGMC4 that I barrowed the idea from and it was for his 56 (not 58 as I stated previously..ooops).
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=368649&page=7

The LED circuit board I bought was a smaller size beacuse the light housing for a 47-53 is different.

Marc

Niice. I too don't like the yellowish light the original puts out. BUt I'm concerned cause I still am running a generator/voltage regulator and the eBay listing makes a point of saying the board can't stand greater than 13v. Pretty sure mine charges at greater than that so I can't use this idea til I convert to an alternator.

B_Hix 02-14-2012 10:33 AM

Nasty cold outside, snow on the ground so I'm grounded to the garage.

I have been doing a lotta 'walk out to the garage and stare at the truck' the last few days.

I still need to prep/prime and paint my front fenders and hood and that ain't happening till spring.

So I'm tinkering with interior stuff off and on. Right now the 'rear cab cover' area (where the fuel tank used to be has me staring at the truck more than working on it. Mentally trying to envision what I want to do with the area.

I have the base in that my seats will sit on, and the rear cab area is a blank canvas begging for some fabrication genius. Problem is my fabricating skills are far short of 'genius level' so I'm mapping out how I am going to make useful and nice looking use of that space.

The battery is back there (in a box of course) - with that I see a sub woofer box, two 6x9's, and maybe a storage area for a 'roadside emergency kit'. When I quit staring and get busy I will set the seats on the cab to make sure I'll have the space for what I ultimatley decide to do...then back out with the seats and on with the 'fabricatin'

Won't be long before I quit thinking about it and start doing it....I suppose :D

Daze57 02-14-2012 12:58 PM

thank you very much youngrodder - gonna try it out on my 57

beanyard 02-14-2012 09:21 PM

I lost the bid on some reallllly nice windshield stainless trim. OEM not repro... so if any of you out there have a nice set please let me know.... I was way looking forward to getting it. I am trying to round up all the small stuff so that when the wife and I decide to go forward with a paint job we don't have a whole slew of unplanned expenses.

I guess my 3g phone doesn't have a chance with last min buidding wars. Too bad I can't touch ebay while at work or I would have used my PC and won.
Posted via Mobile Device

rollinrooster 02-14-2012 10:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finished up my brake lines on the frame. :chevy:

Dan in Pasadena 02-14-2012 11:01 PM

Beautifully done sir.

rollinrooster 02-15-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5189016)
Beautifully done sir.

Thanks, this was my first time doing brake lines.

Daze57 02-15-2012 09:29 PM

beanyard

what year truck do you have ?
i might have what you need

Daze57 02-15-2012 09:31 PM

also x2 on the brake line work for rollinrooster

Dan in Pasadena 02-15-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rollinrooster (Post 5189579)
Thanks, this was my first time doing brake lines.

Eek! Really?! Now I'm REALLY impressed. I'd have thought you were an old hand.

How'd you do it? Please explain.

I've heard of using coat hangers as templates and making subtle radii like over your rear end by rolling tubing over round objects. What did you do? I will need new lines on my truck but had wondered if I wouldn't just EFF it up? Have you pressurized them? Much in the way of leaks and please tell us what equipment you had?

beanyard 02-15-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5190888)
beanyard

what year truck do you have ?
i might have what you need

I am sending you a pm
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 02-16-2012 12:32 AM

cool

rollinrooster 02-16-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5191009)
Eek! Really?! Now I'm REALLY impressed. I'd have thought you were an old hand.

How'd you do it? Please explain.

I've heard of using coat hangers as templates and making subtle radii like over your rear end by rolling tubing over round objects. What did you do? I will need new lines on my truck but had wondered if I wouldn't just EFF it up? Have you pressurized them? Much in the way of leaks and please tell us what equipment you had?

Thanks man, a very good friend of mine that owns a street rod shop (PrecisionRod&Custom) let me borrow some brake line tools and gave me some advice. ;) He just told me to try and keep everything straight and follow the frame / weld lines. I bought 25' rolls of 3/16" and used his straightner and a kick butt hyd. flaring tool. What helped me more than anything is he told me " you have to have a starting point and an ending point" this would help me to lay the lines out and measure the length that i needed. I have heard of people using coat hangers / welding wire as templates but he told me that was just a waste of a good coat hanger or welding wire :lol: and to just measure and mark the brake line with a sharpie where i want to bend it at. I havent pressurized them yet due to waiting to install the cab for the final time.I have a 90° brake booster setup that goes under the dash and my brake lines will go inside the cab.

Dan in Pasadena 02-16-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks for the info, man. i REALLY like how you followed all the little turns and curves so carefully. I think thats what makes it professional.

I've seen one of those hydraulic flaring kits for about... $275, I want to say(?)

While I'm annoying you with questions, can you tell us if the frame is painted or powder coated? If painted, did you do it yourself and what prep and paint? Is that hydraulic tee on your rearend somehow bolted to it? Is that available from a catalog or something?

oldcouple 02-16-2012 09:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
took a picture of it thru the paint booth window. at that point it had one more coat to go, 12 noon, he had been shooting since 11:30 last night.

rollinrooster 02-16-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5192746)
Thanks for the info, man. i REALLY like how you followed all the little turns and curves so carefully. I think thats what makes it professional.

I've seen one of those hydraulic flaring kits for about... $275, I want to say(?)

While I'm annoying you with questions, can you tell us if the frame is painted or powder coated? If painted, did you do it yourself and what prep and paint? Is that hydraulic tee on your rearend somehow bolted to it? Is that available from a catalog or something?

Dan, youre not annoying me at all. The frame is painted by me with POR 15. As for the rearend tee, it is bolted to the flange on the 9 inch (i just bored / tapped it to fit then used a stainless shoulder bolt to hold it) ;) I have another thread with all the info / pics of my build, but i dont know how to link it to all my post yet. :lol:

oldcouple 02-17-2012 06:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Out of the booth, now the hard part, remembering where everything goes.