The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   SkinnyG's '61 Apache (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756182)

SCOTI 01-26-2021 11:22 AM

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870143)
I'm having second thoughts about how I did the end board widths. I cut them so they did not go past the bolts. I think they should go past the bolts to better support the sides.

It looks like I should have cut the end boards at 4".

Which I -had- done, and then second-guessed myself.

Guess I'm ordering another board....

2nd round is always better 90% of the time ;)

SkinnyG 01-26-2021 11:45 AM

This is 3rd time around.

Just called Home Depot, and GUESS WHAT HAS JUST BEEN DISCONTINUED.

Nice. :(

SCOTI 01-26-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870172)
This is 3rd time around.

Just called Home Depot, and GUESS WHAT HAS JUST BEEN DISCONTINUED.

Nice. :(

So the 3.5's it is. Don't sweat it.

SkinnyG 01-26-2021 12:01 PM

How large of a gap between the bed side and the edge of the board is acceptable? I currently have them against the bed side bolt; the bolt does not go through any board.

SCOTI 01-26-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870181)
How large of a gap between the bed side and the edge of the board is acceptable? I currently have them against the bed side bolt; the bolt does not go through any board.

Ahh.....

SkinnyG 01-26-2021 02:17 PM

Whew.

A different hardware store in town, that had told me in person back in December that they do not carry composite deck boards, actually carries composite deck boards. And actually had two 20' lengths of Trex Winchester.

When I had asked one dude at the order desk, another piped up that Winchester is discontinued, and they had none. My dude said they list two in the computer. The yard guy couldn't find them, so I went in to get reimbursed, but my order guy took me to the secret stash of composite.

What a schmozzle.

I will post up the confirmed widths for the end boards in a while.

A contributer to this mess is that I did not notice that the angle strips do not fit in grooves on the end boards, but rather fit on top. That is not how I installed the angle strips - I set them to be at the same height as all the rest of the skid strips.

I'll need to adjust how I groove the end boards to fit how I mounted the angle strips.

Issues, issues, issues.

I should probably take up drinking.

SCOTI 01-26-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870254)
Whew.

A different hardware store in town, that had told me in person back in December that they do not carry composite deck boards, actually carries composite deck boards. And actually had two 20' lengths of Trex Winchester.

When I had asked one dude at the order desk, another piped up that Winchester is discontinued, and they had none. My dude said they list two in the computer. The yard guy couldn't find them, so I went in to get reimbursed, but my order guy took me to the secret stash of composite.

What a schmozzle.

I will post up the confirmed widths for the end boards in a while.

A contributer to this mess is that I did not notice that the angle strips do not fit in grooves on the end boards, but rather fit on top. That is not how I installed the angle strips - I set them to be at the same height as all the rest of the skid strips.

I'll need to adjust how I groove the end boards to fit how I mounted the angle strips.

Issues, issues, issues.

I should probably take up drinking.

LoL. After the work will be my suggestion.

SkinnyG 01-26-2021 07:16 PM

SCOTI - do the skid strip 1/4" round portions actually touch the bottom of the wood grooves, or do they hover and the flat "bolt" section only touches it's wood groove "step"? Or both?

SCOTI 01-26-2021 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870402)
SCOTI - do the skid strip 1/4" round portions actually touch the bottom of the wood grooves, or do they hover and the flat "bolt" section only touches it's wood groove "step"? Or both?

On my old stuff (OE wood) the rounded edge touches. I believe most 'new' pre-cut wood doesn't. I recall Mar-k providing dimensions for those attempting to cut their own that gave a range of depth for the groove depending on how 'high' off the wood you wanted the strips.

Point being... I imagine it depends on the manufacturer, age, &/or personal likes.

SkinnyG 01-26-2021 08:27 PM

Ok. I can roll with that. Thanks!

Low Elco 01-26-2021 10:05 PM

Just read the whole thing. Fantastic work, please keep it up!

SkinnyG 01-27-2021 01:02 AM

Ok. By my math, it looks like if you're using 5.5" Trex composite boards, you will need SEVEN boards 5-1/2" wide, and TWO boards 4-5/16" wide.

This should work with the 1/2" gap between boards, and 1/16" gap either side of the skid strips.

Film at 11.

I'll confirm when I'm good and ready to run everything through the table saw.... again.

SCOTI 01-27-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870611)
Ok. By my math, it looks like if you're using 5.5" Trex composite boards, you will need SEVEN boards 5-1/2" wide, and TWO boards 4-5/16" wide.

This should work with the 1/2" gap between boards, and 1/16" gap either side of the skid strips.

Film at 11.

I'll confirm when I'm good and ready to run everything through the table saw.... again.

So.... I recall the 1/2" gap between boards is to allow the space for wood expansion w/moisture cycling right? With the Trex, I'm curious if that can be minimized since a composite board shouldn't have such issues?

SkinnyG 01-27-2021 10:54 AM

Mar-K says the 1/16" gap between the wood groove and the skid strip is critical.

Trex instructions still require gaps, at ends and at widths because they still expand.

I cut the boards at 77" length instead of wood's 77-1/8", because the composite will expand in every direction, whereas wood will change less in length and more in width. Some say the composite expands more than wood. Some folks here just cut them up like wood, installed them like wood, and they work fine.

The 1/2" between the boards is really only 1/16" of movement until the grooves hit the skid strips, so you're not talking a lot of width change really. I imagine you could close the gap, but it wouldn't make a difference (other then you'd need another skid strip and another board to fill the collectively reduced gap).

SCOTI 01-27-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870713)
Mar-K says the 1/16" gap between the wood groove and the skid strip is critical.

Trex instructions still require gaps, at ends and at widths because they still expand.

I cut the boards at 77" length instead of wood's 77-1/8", because the composite will expand in every direction, whereas wood will change less in length and more in width. Some say the composite expands more than wood. Some folks here just cut them up like wood, installed them like wood, and they work fine.

The 1/2" between the boards is really only 1/16" of movement until the grooves hit the skid strips, so you're not talking a lot of width change really. I imagine you could close the gap, but it wouldn't make a difference (other then you'd need another skid strip and another board to fill the collectively reduced gap).

Gotcha. I looked into the Trex initially because I wanted something that would not distort like wood can/does w/the moisture cycling issue. Once I found the width/thickness options were limited, I decided to just use wood. My '64 had what appeared to be the original wood still in place. A couple of the short board fore/aft of the wheel tubs & one full length board were split in half; the rest is in decent shape for being >50yrs old.

I figured advanced coating on some new wood should see it through MY expiration date @ this point.

SkinnyG 01-30-2021 01:45 AM

I re-cut two new end boards on the tablesaw today, to the new measurements and grooved to fit. No picture because it doesn't really look any different. Well, the end board look different, but they will look no different once installed.

Still irked that this board is discontinued. At least I have two spare boards I will store somewhere.

Hopefully get back at it Saturday.

SkinnyG 01-30-2021 10:07 PM

Saturdays are going to be less productive, as the kids have a 3-hour shin-dig smack at mid-day - takes a big chunk out of doing something useful with the day. Not enjoying that, but it's good for the kids.

Much happier with the fitment of the new end boards. No pic, because it looks no different.

Also corrected irregularities in the drip rail edge. Nothing magical there.

Also cut some scrap steel to fab up the panhard rod. I have what will be the tabs at the trailing arm end cut out, but not finished. I'll see how far I get tomorrow.

88Stanger 01-31-2021 11:48 AM

SkinnyG - You are talking about the Trex boards you used in the bed, correct?

i am really seriously looking into this. My only issue is when i was looking at them they show a groove cut into each edge. is this same type of boards you used? I was just wondering in reference to how you cut in the cuts needed for the metal strips that hold down the wood.

SkinnyG 01-31-2021 02:00 PM

Trex comes in grooved and NOT grooved. I bought NOT grooved.

I cut the boards for the skid strips with a table saw, following the dimensions at GMCPauls. It will eat your table saw blade, or you can spend $80 for a Diablo Composite blade.

SkinnyG 01-31-2021 10:06 PM

Panhard mounts tacked in:

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...3s-672x378.jpg

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...4s-672x378.jpg

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...7s-672x378.jpg

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...5s-672x378.jpg

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...6s-672x378.jpg

53Sparky 01-31-2021 10:41 PM

nice work. I like the adjustability.

SkinnyG 01-31-2021 11:14 PM

It's not much adjustability - the roll center is largely dictated by where it mounts to the 2" block on the right. I'm reasonably sure this will be ride height, but I might be wrong - so being able to move the panhard according to final ride height is good.

88Stanger 02-02-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8872698)
Trex comes in grooved and NOT grooved. I bought NOT grooved.

I cut the boards for the skid strips with a table saw, following the dimensions at GMCPauls. It will eat your table saw blade, or you can spend $80 for a Diablo Composite blade.

Aw.... this is did not know or see. Thanks, and thanks for all the info here.

SkinnyG 02-03-2021 02:16 AM

Finished the panhard, but I'm not happy with the side-to-side motion of the bar, with the front-to-rear motion of the truck arms. Looks like binding to me. So I'm going to cut it down and go spherical rod ends.

Slammed66 02-08-2021 01:59 PM

SkinnyG

What year / model fuel tank did you order -
I have a 62 suburban that looks to be a good fit

Thanks