The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   It’s Just A Pickup (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=318544)

69gmcc10 03-12-2012 12:55 PM

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Bruce! You are a wealth of information and you know just how to explain things so they make sense in a clear and concise way. You are correct, allot of the articles I have read tell you what they did, but not how or why they came to that conclusion. Thanks for knowledge and keep it coming, please.

MAC71 03-29-2012 08:48 AM

Outstanding information!

longbed67 03-29-2012 01:00 PM

I think we need a sticky for the info here!

FLDBRED 04-06-2012 08:53 PM

Awesome....what are we going to do when your done?

Bruce88 04-07-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLDBRED (Post 5298300)
Awesome....what are we going to do when your done?

Maybe a Flux Capacitor for our trucks with simple hand tools and things just lying around the house, as in the Back to the Future film about a time machine (smile). I hope your out on your ride putting it togerther and enjoy driving it down the road. I’m trying to give you the basics with the understanding of why and how, so you can set up all your parts that you have so all of them will be working together. We all run into problems on a build and when I do, I generaly fall back to the basics of what I’m trying to do and how am I going to check that its doing what I want it to do. I hope with what I’m wrighting that it can be understood by you and used to solve problems that might arise during your build.

Enjoy your build

Palf70Step 04-07-2012 01:41 PM

Agreed...Lots of good stuff here to keep it near the top.

70LonghornCST 04-07-2012 02:14 PM

:agree: It would be nice if there was a "Build Hall of Fame" section to which threads such as these could be stuck. Too much great information to be lost on the bottom of a forum. The new members need to enjoy this too :chevy:
-Richard

MrBeast 04-07-2012 04:28 PM

Bruce, great build, it is nothing short of an outstanding job!

I have been playing around with these trucks for the last 15 years, and I actually managed to learn a couple of things reading your build. You did a great job!

I will be moving to Seattle this fall, I may have to twist your arm into showing me this one in person!

Bruce88 04-08-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeast (Post 5299511)
Bruce, great build, it is nothing short of an outstanding job!

I have been playing around with these trucks for the last 15 years, and I actually managed to learn a couple of things reading your build. You did a great job!

I will be moving to Seattle this fall, I may have to twist your arm into showing me this one in person!

Thank You

No arm twisting needed just drop me a PM and we can set up a time and place. Stopped by your build thread (The Boss 72 Chevy 4x4 Cummins Dually) see that your truck needs some assembly, moving with a project not together is a real pain. With it together I bet you could just about haul all the rest of your things (smile). Good luck on having it all together for the move and welcome to the Northwest in advance.

darkhorse970 04-08-2012 08:52 PM

I agree too, this is truly a build thread worthy of a Sticky!

MrBeast 04-08-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce88 (Post 5301636)
Thank You

No arm twisting needed just drop me a PM and we can set up a time and place. Stopped by your build thread (The Boss 72 Chevy 4x4 Cummins Dually) see that your truck needs some assembly, moving with a project not together is a real pain. With it together I bet you could just about haul all the rest of your things (smile). Good luck on having it all together for the move and welcome to the Northwest in advance.

Thank you. I have actually been considering what route to take, and I think what I am going to wind up doing is building a 79 reg cab 4x4 dually that I found, I am thinking throw my Cummins in it, since it will be much easier and less expensive and faster, and the truck has functioning brakes, fuel tanks, and is fully assembled.

use that truck to pull all my stuff back to my dad's in Montana, then I can start figuring on where to get setup in Washington. I have until the end of the summer to get it figured out. I may even go with a gas motor, I have been reading threads on folks running the GM LQ9 and having good luck with them, not entirely sure yet however.

MuscleTruckin 04-09-2012 10:54 AM

nice work i do like that paint scheme kinda resembles mine uh?
lookin good keep us updated

Bruce88 04-10-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longbed67 (Post 5282021)
I think we need a sticky for the info here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 5299347)
Agreed...Lots of good stuff here to keep it near the top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST (Post 5299375)
:agree: It would be nice if there was a "Build Hall of Fame" section to which threads such as these could be stuck. Too much great information to be lost on the bottom of a forum. The new members need to enjoy this too :chevy:
-Richard

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse970 (Post 5301703)
I agree too, this is truly a build thread worthy of a Sticky!

I’ve sat back for a few days trying to figure out what to say concerning finding my build thread with a sticky/permanently positioned at the top of this build section. In my mind this position at the top of this build section is an honor that far exceeds anything I could imagine happening with this build thread. Thank you for thinking that it belongs in this position.

It all started with wanting to share my build with others and I thought that interjecting some of my thoughts on why and how I did some things was an important part for understanding of what I was doing. Now that the thread finds it to more exposure than possibly others, all that I can hope is that everyone finds it worth a read and possibly a small benefit in their builds.

Thank You
Bruce88
Enjoy your build

69gmcc10 04-13-2012 11:39 AM

Bruce,

Congrats on your new position on the board! It is completely deserved because of your hard work, research and dedication to your truck and other people.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Portmod7 04-13-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 (Post 5311170)
Bruce,

Congrats on your new position on the board! It is completely deserved because of your hard work, research and dedication to your truck and other people.

Thanks again for all of your help.

x2!

chevytruckluver 04-14-2012 09:19 AM

I too want to offer congrats to you! your build has given me several ideas and even a couple of things that I want to incorporate into mine. It was well done with very good attention to detail and tons of information that most guys dont know. All your time and effort shows in this truck. again congratulations Bruce

Tinkermc 04-14-2012 10:24 PM

Well I just read the first 20 pages today and I have never on many forums seen such a detailed and helpful post. I am crazy about your attention to detail and your willingness to share information. Hopefully tomorrow I can finish up the good read. Paint looks very nice.But then it's just a truck!!!!!!!!!!!!

70-Chevy 04-19-2012 10:34 AM

Bruce,
I just spent the first two hours at work reading your build. This has to be on eof the best build threads I've seen on here in the past 5 years I've been reading coming here. That truck looks fantastic! You're the type of guy I wish was next door to me to keep me motivated to continue on mine, but I've got this thread to keep for reference. Thanks for all the time you put into this build as Im sure there will be thousands who use it to continue to bring these trucks back to life.

ENJOYING MY BUILD!

doosekoop 04-20-2012 02:18 AM

Congrats on your place of prominance , well deserved ! :cong:

Now its time to start the next one?:wave: ha ha !

El Campo 04-25-2012 06:07 PM

Nice!

y5mgisi 04-27-2012 10:24 PM

To say you deserve it is a huge understatement! There is so much education/inspiration in this thread its absurd. The amount of time you take to explain things, edit pics, do research on OUR behalf, etc. Way to go! And thank you!

RckyMntnKng 05-01-2012 06:46 PM

Ive read an awful lot of builds in an awful lot of forums in my day....including spending 4+ years building on my own 71 Jimmy in here.

You sir, have the most incredible skills I have ever seen.

I cant imagine the time you must have spent in just detailing out every post in such a way the average guy could read and understand. Many many people will benefit from your effort for years to come.

I learned a great many things about trucks in these previous pages - (and even feel better about flying lol)

THANK YOU
-RMK

dean jendro 05-02-2012 08:44 AM

Bruce,
Congrats and keep up the good work. Everyone on this forum, regardless of truck year preference, enjoys and benefits from your efforts.

92sierraslx 05-02-2012 04:30 PM

just read thru this thread as i just got my first 70 c10 about a month ago and looks as though i will be needing alot the patch panel work you did on the cab i will surely be refrencing back to this thread for help in planning and in pulling this off thatnks for all the attn to detail,
brandon

Airborne70GMC 05-06-2012 01:50 AM

Very nice!!!!q I have a 70gmc step bed that I want to fix up,some day. Keep n keeping on , ok? It is looking good!
Good night and God bless, ab70gmc
Posted via Mobile Device

custompaint870 05-06-2012 09:27 AM

keep up the good work!

KSWes 05-18-2012 10:19 AM

I was trying to think of something that hasn't already been said Bruce...

I hadn't found your build until it was pinned to the top of the build threads, and what I was missing was an education, reference, and resource. You seem to be a very modest guy from the way you write. Your attention to detail and thorough explanation of how you accomplished your goals is second to none. Your build is one of the reasons this site is so great and I applaud the moderators for putting you at the top, it's where you belong! Now that your truck is done, I hope you get years of faithful service and enjoyment out of her, if you were building these trucks back in the 60's and 70's there wouldn't be much for us to do today because they would still be rock solid! All the best Bruce! :cong:

silvertonguedevil 05-19-2012 03:56 PM

Nice job! I love this thread!!

jhaymon 06-28-2012 12:50 AM

that is one impressive thread. it took me a few days to get through it. i look the ideas on cleaning up the stock gm lap joints around the front windshield and that spare carrier is extremely impressive. i think the garage is as impressive as the truck. that water separator is defiantly getting put in mine and explanation of a single phase 240 is going to be a huge time saver for first timer trying to put in a larger comp. i put mine in 10 years ago and still remember having to call around to my buddies for a month to find out what to do with the extra wire on a 4/10 wire.

the actual build is by far my favorite part. it turned out a very impressive street truck thats as nice under the paint as the paint itself without having to have a million dollar fab shop or going completely overboard on the credit card.

mcbassin 06-28-2012 08:28 AM

Bruce,
How's the truck treating you? I guess you have been having fun driving it often? Update pictures?

Bruce88 06-28-2012 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5458696)
Bruce,
How's the truck treating you? I guess you have been having fun driving it often? Update pictures?

I’ve had it out a few times and its running fine no real problems that I’ve found so far. Not that it’s a fear weather truck but just haven’t taken it out without a reason with all the winter weather and rain. I have been having trouble setting up the O2 sensors that I’m temp installing to check/verify my carb adjustments, but I will work it out. As far as pictures of the truck no new ones at this time but with the weather change there should be some coming soon.

There have been some other things that I’ve been doing for over a month, like upgrading my computer system from an older XP operating system to a new computer with Windows 7 Pro (64 bit). Not exactly the picture you wanted but hears one of my indoors work area with my new computer (smile). For those with a computer tech interest it’s a Dell T5500 work station with Quad Core Intel Xeon Processor 2.26 GHz, 12GB DDR3 Memory, 2GB Nvidia Quadro 4000 dual monitor video card, and two 24 inch Dell U2412M monitors. Definitely a task for me seeing what old programs will work and what new ones that I need as well as figuring out the new filing system.

Enjoy your build
Regardless what it is (smile)

Attachment 948792

elf w/capital T 06-29-2012 09:53 PM

great truck! thanks for the helpful posts from before!!

jhaymon 06-30-2012 03:41 PM

i have old exhaust gas analyzer thats been broken for 15 years so if you get the o2 sensor worked out let us know. ive been having issues with my program. i had a good program till they started with ethanol blends down here.

Low Elco 07-31-2012 06:55 PM

Hey, Bruce, whose door fuzziesand seals did you use and are you happy with them? Been burned before and want to get the right thing the first time. Beautiful truck, hope you're enjoying it.

Bruce88 08-02-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5515944)
Hey, Bruce, whose door fuzziesand seals did you use and are you happy with them? Been burned before and want to get the right thing the first time. Beautiful truck, hope you're enjoying it.

Door seals always seem to be a problem for older cars and truck. Some people seem to have some good luck with the clip on style but I don’t like the way they fit around the upper front corner area, all the clip on ones that I’ve seen appear to be a universal fit style. I stay away from a universal weather stripping and prefer going with glue on with fitted corners, similar to the factory seals. One place you can find some is from Wes at Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts http://classicheartbeat.com/ , Wes knows the rubber products for are trucks and is a good resource.

Here are some tips that might help you install your seals. Getting the glue to stick the seal to the painted flange. With fresh paint a light sanding of the glue area with 120 grit sand paper will help. Cleaning both surfaces, the flange and the inside channel on the new seal (sometimes the new seal might have a light powder substance on it) I’ve used alcohol for cleaning and I’ve also used M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). With M.E.K. you have to be careful if you use too much it will strip the paint. When you think that you have both surfaces clean enough do one final cleaning just to make sure (smile). Any of the Weather strip Adhesive’s should work fine, what I’ve been using is Permatex (Black Super Weathstrip Adhesive) the black color doesn’t show up as the yellow color adhesive’s with the slight amount that might squeeze out from under the seal. One tool that has been helpful was some 7/8 plastic spring clamps from Harbor Freight Tools, I start in the forward upper corner and work at installing the seal one to two foot at a time using the clamps to hold the seal in place letting the adhesive time to set up. Don’t try to glue the ends of the seal together at the bottom aft area of the door, in fact a slight angle cut at the end of the seals helps in allowing the air to exit the bulb seal and any water to drain that might find its way inside the seal. Once all the seal is installed and looks good close the door and let it set up for a day. The first time closing the door might be hard to close, don’t be tempted to open and close the door a number of times, let everything dry and allow the seal to take on its shape to fit. On my doors they were somewhat hard to close for about a month but have become easer as time went on. One thing that might help in making the door close easer after everything is dry and all the painting is done (very important all painting inside and outside needs to be done) is a light coating of silicone lube on the seal especially on the forward area will help in letting the seal slide and fit to the door. The reason that all the painting needs to be done is that the smallest amount of silicone on any surface will prevent any paint from sticking and it’s not worth taking the chance.

Hope this helps you get an outstanding seal installation
Enjoy your build
Bruce

Low Elco 08-02-2012 08:11 AM

Thanks for the tips!
Posted via Mobile Device

gdavis 08-10-2012 10:37 PM

looks good keep trucking and send more pic. i f you can how about telling me how to upload pic. I am having a hard time.

Russ.W. 08-26-2012 01:57 AM

This thread is fantastic.

I've seen entire forums with less useful content than this. Awesome effort mate - both with your truck and build thread.

chill68 09-13-2012 10:55 AM

I'm in the market for a headliner with speakers. Tell me how that one works out!

Jdhitch 09-15-2012 09:23 PM

Thanks for the driver/passenger door mirror placement schematic. Just drilled some holes and mounted them today. By the way your truck is awesome!