The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Slosh Tubz SEMA 2015 Build "BOOSTED BERTHA" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=643425)

oldman3 06-20-2015 10:26 AM

Re: Slosh Tubz SEMA 2015 Build "BOOSTED BERTHA"

Mike, nice job on the details in the back...Jim

lowrodderchev 06-20-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7215641)
I have also been working on the roll pan, I brought the bumper brackets through, tucked the bumper in tight. When I got that done I didn't like being able to see the bumper brackets when you were looking down on it so I built some bumper splash pans. I also built a new liscense plate box and raised it in the roll pan

Great job on the bumper heck on the whole truck some amazing detail work

clemdaddy 06-22-2015 07:32 AM

wow man... you get so much done in a short period of time. beautiful work and very creative solutions to problem areas that i didn't know was a problem till you solved it.

outasight...

67cheby 06-22-2015 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7215691)
Mike, nice job on the details in the back...Jim

thanks man!
Quote:

Originally Posted by lowrodderchev (Post 7215701)
Great job on the bumper heck on the whole truck some amazing detail work

Thank you !

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7217412)
wow man... you get so much done in a short period of time. beautiful work and very creative solutions to problem areas that i didn't know was a problem till you solved it.

outasight...

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it !

67cheby 06-22-2015 09:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
this might not look like much but this was about 12 hours worth from Sat evening 5-1am and Sun morning 8-12, tackling some problem areas that had been bugging me. This bed had set forever on the ground and had of course crumpled the front bedside bottom, so much that we couldn't even really tell exactly how they were supposed to look. Gary Angel came over Saturday night and helped get them positioned and braced up ! I designed a matching rear panel for the tailgate and Gary bead rolled it for me.

oldman3 06-22-2015 09:22 AM

Very nice work, and looks great...Jim

ol_skool_chevy 06-22-2015 09:50 AM

I'm diggin' where your headed with this............

67cheby 06-22-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7217500)
Very nice work, and looks great...Jim

Thanks Jim !
Quote:

Originally Posted by ol_skool_chevy (Post 7217529)
I'm diggin' where your headed with this............

We are trying ! Thanks !

67cheby 07-09-2015 09:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally finished up the bed and got it too Gary Angel of Street Driven Customs so he can start the bodywork !

Now, onto the cab ! First shaving all the drip rails. I am welding in round rod so it will overhang just slightly over the doors instead of being perfectly flush. I do have a couple rust spots to fix above the windshield also. This is my first drip rail shave so I am learning as I go. I am also roughing in the door gaps as I go, I will let Gary do the finishing work on those I am just getting them close

67cheby 07-09-2015 09:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the rust spots and a little more door gappage

67cheby 07-09-2015 09:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mocked up the CPP Classic Performance Products rack and pinion so I could move the truck around !

oldman3 07-09-2015 09:39 AM

Mike, looks good...Jim

67cheby 07-09-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7235433)
Mike, looks good...Jim

Thanks Jim !

jlsanborn 07-09-2015 11:39 AM

That's a big job. I like the round bar idea!

watahyahknow 07-09-2015 12:05 PM

the rustspots arent too bad , at least the metal mis only bend one way and its simple to cut out the hole and make a little plate to weld inside it

i like the round bar idea , making it totally smooth kindah makes the roof look an inch too high compared to the top gap above the doors and the windows
keeping the line across breaks it up a little , might use the same idea to make new moulded in gutters on my '78 pickup
just make sure theres no way that water can get in between the sheetmetal , the rod and the weld on the underside of the rod , might be a good idea to run a bead of automotive sealer over the top of it

lyrikz 07-09-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7235475)
Thanks Jim !

Awesome build. I get to go back and read about square peg. How much did you end up selling that for if you dont mind me asking.

67cheby 07-09-2015 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7235537)
That's a big job. I like the round bar idea!

thanks !
Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 7235565)
the rustspots arent too bad , at least the metal mis only bend one way and its simple to cut out the hole and make a little plate to weld inside it

i like the round bar idea , making it totally smooth kindah makes the roof look an inch too high compared to the top gap above the doors and the windows
keeping the line across breaks it up a little , might use the same idea to make new moulded in gutters on my '78 pickup
just make sure theres no way that water can get in between the sheetmetal , the rod and the weld on the underside of the rod , might be a good idea to run a bead of automotive sealer over the top of it

I thought so, thanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrikz (Post 7235617)
Awesome build. I get to go back and read about square peg. How much did you end up selling that for if you dont mind me asking.

$42,500 was what she brought in the end

clemdaddy 07-09-2015 07:53 PM

looks good and i like the mods you're doing. and i gotta say, you guys waste no time getting after it.

TypeSL2 07-10-2015 12:11 PM

That SEMA deadline can roll around quick. I am loving all this progress. Can't wait to see what it looks like without the drip rail. I can't say that I have seen one without it yet.

James

knomadd 07-10-2015 12:51 PM

Nice idea using the round stock for the drip rail. I'm contemplating on shaving mine too, but not sure I want to get that far into it if I'm not really painting the truck yet. (We'll see how long that lasts.) Seeing all these cool ideas is making me want to tear into it... (must... resist...)

67cheby 07-10-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7236084)
looks good and i like the mods you're doing. and i gotta say, you guys waste no time getting after it.

Thanks Clem, we trying !
Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeSL2 (Post 7236762)
That SEMA deadline can roll around quick. I am loving all this progress. Can't wait to see what it looks like without the drip rail. I can't say that I have seen one without it yet.

James

pictures soon !

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 7236799)
Nice idea using the round stock for the drip rail. I'm contemplating on shaving mine too, but not sure I want to get that far into it if I'm not really painting the truck yet. (We'll see how long that lasts.) Seeing all these cool ideas is making me want to tear into it... (must... resist...)

LOL, you are welcome !

67cheby 07-13-2015 09:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We got quite a bit done this weekend, I have the drip rails about 85% done and then my A D D kicked in...luckily there are 1000 other projects to distract me !

Project 1.

Installing the Trique Mfg. Altman Easy Latch system and I was just that, a simple / killer setup !

67cheby 07-13-2015 10:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Project 2.

Mount the CPP behind the dash brake booster bracket

Mock up the CPP Hydro Boost unit

TypeSL2 07-13-2015 11:34 AM

I have never seen that! That is so damn cool! I can't wait to see that part of it finished up!

James

Precision Parts 07-13-2015 12:00 PM

Looks like you didn't get much sleep this weekend Mike! Nice custom work.

watahyahknow 07-13-2015 12:25 PM

i have seen the sustem before but never mounted with a hydroboost setup

67cheby 07-13-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypeSL2 (Post 7239682)
I have never seen that! That is so damn cool! I can't wait to see that part of it finished up!

James

Thanks man !
Quote:

Originally Posted by Precision Parts (Post 7239719)
Looks like you didn't get much sleep this weekend Mike! Nice custom work.

you are correct ! LOL, Thanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 7239746)
i have seen the sustem before but never mounted with a hydroboost setup

I thought I would give it a shot ! I am going to box around it with a removable box that has a drain tube out the bottom just in case a hose was to rupture

watahyahknow 07-13-2015 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7239817)
i thought I would give it a shot ! I am going to box around it with a removable box that has a drain tube out the bottom just in case a hose was to rupture

seen an underfloor system too the fill cap was under the seat and the hydrohboost mounted against the framerail pedal arm whent down through the froor instead of hanging down from under the dash
would solve the "if it leaks" problem
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...c/IMG_0273.jpg

this is a nice system too then you only have a slave cilinder in the cab , you do loose all brakes should that one cilinder go bad http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...o-img_4285.jpg

jeromio 07-13-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7239562)
Installing the Trique Mfg. Altman Easy Latch system and I was just that, a simple / killer setup !

Ok - now solve the locking (or power locking) problem :) . I only installed the driver's side bc I can't figure a way to be able to lock the passenger side. (Altho mine's a 66, mebbe it's an easier problem on the next gen)

67cheby 07-13-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeromio (Post 7240045)
Ok - now solve the locking (or power locking) problem :) . I only installed the driver's side bc I can't figure a way to be able to lock the passenger side. (Altho mine's a 66, mebbe it's an easier problem on the next gen)

I guess I haven't got that far..... You can't lock it ?
Posted via Mobile Device

McStuffin 07-13-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7240048)
I guess I haven't got that far..... You can't lock it ?
Posted via Mobile Device

No, using the EZ latch makes the interior handle (to lock by pushing forward) non functioning. Only 'workaround' I've heard is when you order the latch, request the latch to have a locking provision... basically an extra mounting tab. That way, you can attach a power door lock rod to actuate the lock from the interior... Can anyone confirm that when using the stock exterior handle, the exterior lock (with key) functions fine?

Awesome build by the way, will be looking for it at SEMA... which booth?

67cheby 07-13-2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStuffin (Post 7240055)
No, using the EZ latch makes the interior handle (to lock by pushing forward) non functioning. Only 'workaround' I've heard is when you order the latch, request the latch to have a locking provision... basically an extra mounting tab. That way, you can attach a power door lock rod to actuate the lock from the interior... Can anyone confirm that when using the stock exterior handle, the exterior lock (with key) functions fine?

Awesome build by the way, will be looking for it at SEMA... which booth?

Hmmm... I will email and ask them . Precision Replacement Parts booth #24575 right off of the side of the GM Booth

67cheby 07-14-2015 09:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
ok here comes a ton of updates !

Lets start with more progress on the shaved drip rail, front and rear almost completely done . I am still working on the sides I am giving them just a little lip that hangs over the edge of the door so they will have just a little something to detour the rain from the door gaps.

Finally finished up the welding on the firewall panels

67cheby 07-14-2015 09:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Then I did a quick "zip tie" test fit on the custom Flex-a-lite radiator this baby is HUGE and TOP NOTCH !

Mocked up the CPP rack in the Porterbuilt suspension

Started hanging the Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with our custom built mounts. The exhaust will be 3 inch stainless tubing from Flowmaster

CTurner1978 07-14-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7240058)
Hmmm... I will email and ask them . Precision Replacement Parts booth #24575 right off of the side of the GM Booth

It is true. The Altman Easy Latch does not allow you to lock the latches by the old method of pushing your handle forward. Upon request, we can add a locking feature on the bottom of the latches (at no extra charge) that will give you a place to hook up a lock actuator or if you decide to fabricate some type of locking mechanism. We have gone back and forth on the issue and we know the only real way to approach it is to design a push-pull cable locking system for each vehicle that we design latches for. It may be something we look at in the future, but we just aren't working on it at the moment.

All Altman Easy Latch kits work with the exterior locks. On the this particular kit of course, the lock is in the button, so it really has nothing to do with the latch.

Mike, I should have asked you if you would be running power locks. Let me know, and I will get you some locks sent over if you need them.

67cheby 07-14-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTurner1978 (Post 7240681)
It is true. The Altman Easy Latch does not allow you to lock the latches by the old method of pushing your handle forward. Upon request, we can add a locking feature on the bottom of the latches (at no extra charge) that will give you a place to hook up a lock actuator or if you decide to fabricate some type of locking mechanism. We have gone back and forth on the issue and we know the only real way to approach it is to design a push-pull cable locking system for each vehicle that we design latches for. It may be something we look at in the future, but we just aren't working on it at the moment.

All Altman Easy Latch kits work with the exterior locks. On the this particular kit of course, the lock is in the button, so it really has nothing to do with the latch.

Mike, I should have asked you if you would be running power locks. Let me know, and I will get you some locks sent over if you need them.

Awesome, Thanks Chris ! Yes we will be running power locks .

watahyahknow 07-14-2015 11:52 AM

firewalfirewall looks great think thats one of the things i will buy when i start on my own truck : a beadroller
there so many thing you just can make look better with one of those
prolly buy a few of those hole punch/flangers too
http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/fat...h_flare_lg.jpg

i like the hangingsytem for the exhaust too but i wonder if the rubber insulators are big enough and if they hold up when they get hot
might do sumtin simulair but mount the whole exhaust allmost solid (with room to expand) and use flex couplings right after the headers , those should stop any vibrations comming from the engine transfering to the chassis

67cheby 07-14-2015 12:12 PM

The isolators are exhaust hanger grommets so hopefully they will take the heat

K5 Addiction 07-14-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 7240691)
Awesome, Thanks Chris ! Yes we will be running power locks .

I'd love to know what you figure out on this. I will need to run power locks as well. I did the altman latch and Kindigit door handles so trying to figure out the best way to lock the doors.

jlsanborn 07-14-2015 06:04 PM

Muff mounts look awesome man! Where you headed with tailpipe?