The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   MY build thread... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332884)

likaroc13 11-11-2012 08:52 PM

Re: MY build thread...

that looks nice!

Ta2Don 11-11-2012 09:22 PM

Awesome Color Combo!!!

Bomp 11-13-2012 11:42 AM

Intense color

shortbed70 11-13-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 5697516)
that looks nice!

Thanks it's been a lot of work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5697568)
Awesome Color Combo!!!

I would like to leave it this way but paint the interior the same color as under hood because it would only cost me $150 to paint the outside again versus $110 qt with reducer!! Plus wife wants it all candy and why she wants she usually gets lol!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 5700204)
Intense color

Thanks, that's why House of Kolor is what it is!! It still looks like I just painted it even though I used a different clear than theirs under hood. I am still undecided what clear to use on the exterior. I love diamont RM clear but HOK clear is supposed to be very nice!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-17-2012 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Woooohoooo!!!!gettin closer.... Few more things to do!
Posted via Mobile Device

Gordonr1973 11-17-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5695420)
Well bit the bullet and sprayed the candy thismorning!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Looks amazing!!

Great job on the color choice & spraying it down.

Thinking about that color for my '68 Firebird...your truck is really convincing me to go with it!

shortbed70 11-17-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordonr1973 (Post 5707792)
Looks amazing!!

Great job on the color choice & spraying it down.

Thinking about that color for my '68 Firebird...your truck is really convincing me to go with it!

Thanks! If you was closer if love to help ya out but there's a bit of a milage difference. Figure $100 qt for the paint and reducer. And it takes 3-4 coats o cover over black so silver or gold base will take more. Thu recommend the kbc over black as it has a bunch of gold pearl in it so it changes about three different hue's.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-27-2012 12:18 AM

Well it starts and runs but I need to shim the starter tomarrow and add more coolant but it does run again! I also just ordered my x pipe for the exhaust also so soon as it comes in I get to fire up my welder...
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 11-30-2012 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've come to the conclusion that I am not an exhaust guy!!! I don't have the patients for it. But my x-pipe is in now on to the mufflers and tailpipes... I need to order some clamps that are made for butt connections so I can remove the tail pipes then I can mount mufflers...
Posted via Mobile Device

zippeay 11-30-2012 10:07 AM

Most people don't realize what PITA exhausts are to build. It's not really that hard unless you try to make it look perfect. There's so many angles it gets real complicated real quick. Yours looks good though!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-01-2012 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippeay (Post 5731735)
Most people don't realize what PITA exhausts are to build. It's not really that hard unless you try to make it look perfect. There's so many angles it gets real complicated real quick. Yours looks good though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the kind words!!! Yea mines far from perfect but drivers quality... U betcha..my crappy video won't load but I'm on Facebook too.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-06-2012 09:04 AM

Well turns out my truck has lived up to its name AGAIN!!! Checke the oil the other day and there's water in it!!! Pulled the intake and sure enough gaskets didn't seal on the back so it was running right into the pan! SO... Now I will put yet another set of intake gaskets on and use a dab of ultra copper sealant around all the water ports instead of high tach spray I usually use and hope for the best!!! I can't win for loosing with this dang engine..half tempted to call jegs and have them send me a 260 horse crate motor because that's about all I can afford!!
Posted via Mobile Device

zippeay 12-06-2012 11:00 AM

Bummer, that sucks. Hope you get it fixed this time.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-06-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippeay (Post 5743111)
Bummer, that sucks. Hope you get it fixed this time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea me too this engine thing is irritating!! I was told by a guy that builds engines and he told me there's 3 P's to engines;
Power equals = Performance; Performance = Problems and we all know what problems = $$$ and that I'm all out of! I wish I had the $ just to buy a nice hi perf motor ready to drop in and go...
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-07-2012 10:17 PM

Well I should know tomarrow if my intake sealed up. I used ultra copper gasket sealer on the water jackets and a 1/4" bead on both end rails just like I've done on my other motors so we will see. Last time I relied on the gasket to seal so hopefully it was my own fault it leaked... Wish me luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-21-2012 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got to meet a cool guy today! Just happen to be around when we walked by...
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-21-2012 09:38 PM

Oh yea my truck runs and drives just haven't had time to get it out before the snow. No coolant leaks just a small front pan leak! Don't know why but its seeping oil between the one piece gasket and pan! Oh well! My video won't load for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

198plus 12-21-2012 10:31 PM

Nice job, I love the color !!!!!

shortbed70 12-21-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 198plus (Post 5771609)
Nice job, I love the color !!!!!

Thanks man.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 12-29-2012 05:01 PM

Here's a short vid
http://s52.beta.photobucket.com/user...88569.mp4.html
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 12-29-2012 07:18 PM

Motor sounds Sweet!!!

shortbed70 12-30-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 5784131)
Motor sounds Sweet!!!

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 12-30-2012 01:59 AM

I agree....sounds good :thumbs:

daverod 12-30-2012 11:08 PM

Was that Jesse James?:lol::smoke:

Alan's Classic 12-31-2012 12:08 AM

Sounds great, who is that guy? i can't remember?

shortbed70 12-31-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 5784884)
I agree....sounds good :thumbs:

Thanks Cap. Can't wait to get the exhaust done..

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5786519)
Was that Jesse James?:lol::smoke:

Haha NO!!! I should've asked how that went...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 5786684)
Sounds great, who is that guy? i can't remember?

Richard Rawlings from Gas monkey garage. Thanks

And today I put the hood back on so now I'm on to interior..
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 01-12-2013 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I know the truck will start right up after sitting in 35 degree weather for 6 hours. Did some work on the shop not the truck and got a ceiling put in tonight! 6.5 hrs 18 sheets and a few drinks and laughs...
Posted via Mobile Device

daverod 01-12-2013 09:54 AM

I though you were talking about the truck interior. Looks nice should save on some heat when you get it insulated. Never can have enough light.:mm:

shortbed70 01-12-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 5812227)
I though you were talking about the truck interior. Looks nice should save on some heat when you get it insulated. Never can have enough light.:mm:

I was guess I never thought of it that way lol.. That's my plan to keep the heat down instead of hearing the roof
Posted via Mobile Device

baggedbigblock 01-14-2013 07:32 PM

Troy, what paint did you use for the flat black? how is it holding up in the sun/rain/elements? was it sprayed at once and uniform? Thanks.

BTW Truck is sounding good!

shortbed70 01-14-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggedbigblock (Post 5817908)
Troy, what paint did you use for the flat black? how is it holding up in the sun/rain/elements? was it sprayed at once and uniform? Thanks.

BTW Truck is sounding good!

Thanks. The black is eastwood's rat rod black SS and it was sprayed in several pieces. Fenders, hood, cab and doors, bed last. It seams to be holding up well a few scratches from people's kids running around it but not bad... Doesn't sit outside much only at shows! The paint is pretty easy to lay when in good lighting but easy to stripe if in bad lighting.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 01-17-2013 09:05 PM

Well took a short drive tonight and other than a small powersterring fitting leak no problems engine wise BUT I have an issue with my dash lights and blinkers! My dash lights are always on when key is on and my blinkers light up but don't blink! Ideas on where to start?
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 01-17-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5824729)
My dash lights are always on when key is on and my blinkers light up but don't blink! Ideas on where to start?
Posted via Mobile Device

Check to see if you dont have one of your wires grounded that shouldnt be. If you are running stock guage cluster, they should be frame grounded at the socket.

I had to correct a similar issue with my dome light because I thought one wire was a ground and it wasnt. The two wires going to my dome are orange=constant hot....white=controled hot thru the headlight control switch.

Your turn signals are either a ground issue, or a bulb issue. Sometimes but not always it will be a socket issue. On these old rigs, one bad bulb or socket will muck up the entire blinker system.

Hope that helps, if not I hope you post what the solution was ....... always game to learn a new trouble shooting trick on these builds !!

shortbed70 01-18-2013 09:02 AM

Thanks man. I'm going to do some huntin on this thing saterday after cleaning my shop. New wiring harness you would think would be good but guess not.. Oh well I can still drive it just have to manually blink the turn signals..
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 01-18-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5825628)
Thanks man. I'm going to do some huntin on this thing saterday after cleaning my shop. New wiring harness you would think would be good but guess not.. Oh well I can still drive it just have to manually blink the turn signals..
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh and on that note:
You know your blinker relay can go bad too yes?
Again, if you are running stock electrical set up, it should be the round silver unit plugged into your fuse box.
Glad you mentioned clicking the turn signals by hand, that is what reminded me of the bad relay !!

coulter 01-18-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortbed70 (Post 5707712)
Woooohoooo!!!!gettin closer.... Few more things to do!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1353188184
Posted via Mobile Device

dude that looks sick :metal::metal::metal: i like the color combo

shortbed70 01-19-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5826375)
Oh and on that note:
You know your blinker relay can go bad too yes?
Again, if you are running stock electrical set up, it should be the round silver unit plugged into your fuse box.
Glad you mentioned clicking the turn signals by hand, that is what reminded me of the bad relay !!

It's a brand new harness and relays but I'm not going to rule out relay.
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 01-19-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 5826584)
dude that looks sick :metal::metal::metal: i like the color combo

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 02-17-2013 09:49 PM

Well took my dad out for a quick spin in the truck today! He loved it... Hammered on it a bit and not real happy with the convertor but it will be fine for a driver. Still have a small leak up front between timing cover and oil pan with the one piece gasket. Don't know what I can do but deal with it. It's so minor I'm not going to worry bout it. Hope someone gets control of gas prices though, $3.89 gal premium sucks!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

shortbed70 03-05-2013 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In Kansas City today and on the way home wife said lets go by LMC and we left with a new paintable bumper.... Love my baby's!!! Tomarrow I go and see if I can get some tubing bent for my exhaust pipes...
Posted via Mobile Device