The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

ChuckDriver 07-16-2013 02:05 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

I did have it powder coated with a chrome like finish. At the time I wanted it to look like a stainless tank. But I was also aware that it woud not be very visible from the rear. Filling it from the bed has not been a problem. I couldnt find another option that I thought looked better. I didn't want a filler door on the fender. Myabe later I'll put a nice floor in the bed, then I might do one that opens to fill the tank!

Dan in Pasadena 07-16-2013 02:10 PM

Ok, thanks. I kinda like your gas cap as it is, set "in" or down in the S.S. recess. It looks clean, well engineered. The billet doors kinda strike me as '80's billet-tech. Just my $.02.

I suppose I shouldn't be lazy - I should go look at your thread, but anything new on the truck?

ChuckDriver 07-16-2013 03:25 PM

Nothing new right now. But I do have a few ideas in mind that I will be working soon. Stayed tuned!!

Dan in Pasadena 07-16-2013 03:47 PM

Yeah, I just went and looked up your thread....you SLACKER!!! lol.

All you've been doing is working on that '55 car and I'm jealous as hell. I had my Dad's special ordered black '55 two door hard top Belair when I was 16-17...and like an absolute idiot - I didn't want it! I gave it back to him so I could buy a '66 Chevy van - DOH!

My secret (sshhhh!) desire is to get my truck totally as I want it mechanically before I retire, then blow it apart for final paint. BUUUT, I'm also wondering if I can manage to find a '55 car somewhere afterward. I might even consider a two door wagon - always kinda liked them and a Nomad is out of the question unless I win the Lotto. You and Bam have me all worked up about owning both a truck AND a car.

Kabwe 07-16-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6175885)
You and Bam have me all worked up about owning both a truck AND a car.

You just leave Bam out of it.lol

Dan in Pasadena 07-16-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 6176118)
You just leave Bam out of it.lol

I CAN'T dude, you started it!!

Building a kickass truck after already owning a kick ass '55 car....sheesh!:lol:

Seriously, I don't know if it'll ever happen. On one hand, it's too much expense to realistically expect to be able to do it in my retirement years.

On the other hand? What's my rush? I'll have nothing but time. I can find a derelict body and go at it slowly since I'll be able to work on it as much as I decide to.

fabguy 07-16-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6176145)
I CAN'T dude, you started it!!

Building a kickass truck after already owning a kick ass '55 car....sheesh!:lol:

Seriously, I don't know if it'll ever happen. On one hand, it's too much expense to realistically expect to be able to do it in my retirement years.

On the other hand? What's my rush? I'll have nothing but time. I can find a derelict body and go at it slowly since I'll be able to work on it as much as I decide to.

This is why I am doing mine now, so I can enjoy them when I retire because I will be on a fixed income by that time. :waah:
I wondered why the WalMart door greeters where retirees always smiling, they are probably funding their builds. ;)

Dan in Pasadena 07-17-2013 01:08 AM

Nothing to "show" today but my Altman Door Latch kit FINALLY arrived today!

Yes, I bit the bullet and sprung for them after having my passenger door fly open one time too many. I hope the kit goes in as easy as I've seen others do it online.

Photos and a full description upcoming of course but I will not be able to get to it this week/weekend as I've got a lot on my plate this week.

JR25 07-27-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6176780)
Nothing to "show" today but my Altman Door Latch kit FINALLY arrived today!

Yes, I bit the bullet and sprung for them after having my passenger door fly open one time too many. I hope the kit goes in as easy as I've seen others do it online.

Photos and a full description upcoming of course but I will not be able to get to it this week/weekend as I've got a lot on my plate this week.

I am interested in seeing how they work out! Although it will be a while before I get to that point, I have already bought the universal weld ins.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-27-2013 11:37 AM

Thanks for bringing my thread back to the top, JR!

I haven't started the install cause once I begin I've gotta finish (at least one side) or I can't really move the truck. I've stated before I have a long single file driveway and "toys" - boat, camper, jetski's - so I can't afford to have the truck un-driveable for long.

I was/may start today but I REALLY need to finish up the weld repair on the passenger side (I'm THIS close) and I'm baad about jumping around on stuff I'm doing - "Oh look, a squirrel!" Lol.

As soon as I start, pictures will be posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

JR25 07-28-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6192290)
Thanks for bringing my thread back to the top, JR!

I haven't started the install cause once I begin I've gotta finish (at least one side) or I can't really move the truck. I've stated before I have a long single file driveway and "toys" - boat, camper, jetski's - so I can't afford to have the truck un-driveable for long.

I was/may start today but I REALLY need to finish up the weld repair on the passenger side (I'm THIS close) and I'm baad about jumping around on stuff I'm doing - "Oh look, a squirrel!" Lol.

As soon as I start, pictures will be posted.
Posted via Mobile Device

As I stated before...... Sounds like my A.D.D. !
You ever stopped to think, and forget to start again? :lol::lol::lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-28-2013 12:10 PM

Yeah, well what's MY excuse? I don't have ADHD or anything.

JR25 07-28-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6193544)
Yeah, well what's MY excuse? I don't have ADHD or anything.

ARE YOU SURE???? LOL
:lol::lol::lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2013 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I thought you guys might like seeing this. I was driving to the office from a meeting I saw this truck for the first time. I drive this route frequently and had never seen it before. I stopped to look at it and the owner came out of that glass shop its parked in front of; we had a nice little conversation.

He's had it 16-17 years. Bought it as a basket case with no motor but he found a 265 for it in a junkyard.

It's not perfect, a few scratches, etc. But its a nice driver/head turner and has a nice look to it - I think. Still running bias ply tires, though he says he's considering going to radials. 3-on-the-tree tranny, oak & polished bed strips, filled body seams in the interior overhead area, it has dual horns - I'm jealous - I want a passenger side horn for mine! Underhood the motor is clean but not show quality in Chevy orange and Edelbrock finned valve covers. I noticed it has '55-'56 hubcaps and is missing the "V8" emblem, though it IS an original V8 truck. He says he drives it everywhere and never thinks about reliability. Anyway enjoy, I did. I plan to drive mine into work in the next couple of weeks and I will stop by and compare notes with him again. - Dan

Kim57 07-29-2013 02:51 PM

Cool looking truck.
Kim

dubie 07-29-2013 03:15 PM

I agree, I'm not a big fan of stock looking trucks, but this one is nice and clean

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2013 04:27 PM

It's just a cool old driver. I guess that's what like about it. Still out there day after day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Number 9 07-29-2013 06:13 PM

Nice 57.

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2013 08:17 PM

I got off a bit early today and since my truck is stuck in the garage I got a couple minor but time consuming jobs done.

Ordinarily my boat is in the garage but since I'm taking it out next week and needed to get the camper off my truck (not using it this trip) and still have room to park everything it was easiest to put the truck in there with the camper blocking it in for now.

The rear of my hood has been kicked up ever since I took it off to paint it - turns out I was clueless where to put the body shims on when I reinstalled it. Plus, I noticed one of the hood bolts had come loose/fallen off.

Since I've been trying to do each job nicely as I do them, I decided to replace all the hood bolts w/stainless button head set screws, washers & lock washers. Fabguy here (Mike) told me to put the shims behind the lower hinge bolt on the firewall - I had put them on the top one - DOH! After figuring out how to do this by myself and with the hood still on the truck it cleared up the problem right off.

Also, I had to use my truck as a truck the other day:eek: I cut off a sheet of OSB I already had and threw it in the bed. I am also trying to clean up my garage and noticed I had a couple OLD cans of marine spar in there so I had put a coat on the OSB the other day - 4'x6' and it DRANK a full quart! I gave it a light sand and gave it a 2nd coat today. Of course OSB looks like ass but at least it won't flake off for the few months its in there...I hope.

bobinbc 07-29-2013 08:27 PM

NIce truck. Looks a lot like the one I sold a while back when I realized I didn't have time to build two. That one is much nicer though.
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSCF0750.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...h_IMGP2797.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...h_IMGP2792.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 07-29-2013 08:37 PM

Yeah, they do look alike. But it doesn't have the deluxe cab trim yours did. The seat did look just like yours.

Number 9 07-30-2013 04:46 PM

Dan, what is your tire size and wheel width? Thanks,Art

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2013 05:00 PM

235/75x15 Hankooks bought virtually new as takeoffs from an F150 for $60. STOLE the vintage 15x7 Torq Thrust knockoffs from Craigslist for only $150 including polished aluminum center caps.

I wanted 70 series or even 60 series but these were SO cheap I couldn't pass them up. And they kinda give the truck a cartoonish "Roger Rabbit" car look!
Posted via Mobile Device

Number 9 07-30-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6197010)
235/75x15 Hankooks bought virtually new as takeoffs from an F150 for $60. STOLE the vintage 15x7 Torq Thrust knockoffs from Craigslist for only $150 including polished aluminum center caps.

I wanted 70 series or even 60 series but these were SO cheap I couldn't pass them up. And they kinda give the truck a cartoonish "Roger Rabbit" car look!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks dan. That is the same size I just got and do not have my front end on. Was concerned they would be to to big but yours look fine. Mine are on 9" daisy's.
I have 255x70's on 9" rims on the back.

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2013 08:07 PM

Wow, 9's fit in back w/o rubbing? Did you have to order special back spacing? Maybe I should ask what rearend you've got? Mines a 10 bolt but I don't know out of what.

A buddy of mine has offered me a set of 15x8 Rally's with rings & caps cheap. I want them but I'm afraid they'll be too big.
Posted via Mobile Device

Number 9 07-30-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6197264)
Wow, 9's fit in back w/o rubbing? Did you have to order special back spacing? Maybe I should ask what rearend you've got? Mines a 10 bolt but I don't know out of what.

A buddy of mine has offered me a set of 15x8 Rally's with rings & caps cheap. I want them but I'm afraid they'll be too big.
Posted via Mobile Device

They rub. I still haven't had the truck on the road. The last owner flattened the inside lip of the rear fenders so it didn't rub there but they did rub a bit on the bed side. It also has a dana 60 from a f--d with the 5 on 5 1/2 " lug pattern so the width is not the same. It is within a inch or less. They are old tires on the rear so I will go smaller by one size when I change them. I have two 5 1/2" lug pattern on back and 4 3/4" on front so I need two spares. I hope my fronts don't rub when fenders on. I like your old americans.

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2013 10:28 PM

Thanks, but they're not really Americans. No idea WHAT they really are.

Any chance you'll swap rear ends to get matching lug pattern AND narrow up a bit?

Two spares? UGH! I'd carry a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat! I'm carrying NO spare but I've got a AAA card!

Dan in Pasadena 07-30-2013 10:52 PM

Ok, so I visited The Truck Shop in Orange, CA today. Planned to buy the V8 fender emblems for my truck but they were outta stock - natch!

But being the chrome whore I am:bling2: I couldn't go home without SOMETHING shiny, so I bought replacement chrome wiper bezels. Mine are totally cloudy and rust pecked. While I was there I went ahead and bought the rear big window rubber as mine is hard as a rock and cracked, chunks missing, etc. ALMOST bought the "chrome" lock strip for it, but I don't have the stainless trim on the windshield and I want the front & back to match. I keep thinking about whether I want the deluxe trim around the windows? Seems like even for me that trim AND the windshield/back window trim would be gaudy.

But I DID forget to buy the CHROME bench seat handle! lol

Number 9 07-30-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6197502)
Thanks, but they're not really Americans. No idea WHAT they really are.

Any chance you'll swap rear ends to get matching lug pattern AND narrow up a bit?

Two spares? UGH! I'd carry a couple bottles of Fix-A-Flat! I'm carrying NO spare but I've got a AAA card!

It is 3/4" narrower then the stock one so that is fine and also bullet proof. The wheels are all american s200's and look right.I may at some time re drill the axles to 4 3/4" as I have the extra wheels but not high on my list. I wont carry
a spare unless I go on a long drive.

Dan in Pasadena 07-31-2013 12:46 PM

Ok, I guess I misunderstood and though the rearend was too wide. Sounds like your tires are the culprits. You think one size smaller will be enough for cornering with radials?

255's down to 245's is only going from 10.1" wide to 9.7". A little over 3/8". Won't the sidewalls on radials flex that much?

Dan in Pasadena 07-31-2013 04:13 PM

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about THESE bending tools:

Amazon.com: Eastwood Brake Line Tubing Bender and... Amazon.com: Eastwood Brake Line Tubing Bender and...

...cause I JUST ordered them! Hope I won't regret the expense. There were cheaper ones, but...

Number 9 07-31-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 6198258)
Ok, I guess I misunderstood and though the rearend was too wide. Sounds like your tires are the culprits. You think one size smaller will be enough for cornering with radials?

255's down to 245's is only going from 10.1" wide to 9.7". A little over 3/8". Won't the sidewalls on radials flex that much?

It should handle like a slot car. 78 camaro front frame clip with sway bar. I am going to run the 255's for a while to figure it out. They didn't rub in a straight line and I will do what I have to to make it work. Tub it a bit if needed. The outsides never hit. The flex is usually at the bottom.

Russell Ashley 08-11-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5981503)
Yeah, yeah I couldn't help myself. I went to ask if they had an off white or almond in those letters. They said only black, white or chrome. Being the immature clown I am (at age 58!) I had to try the chrome. I like it. I don't mind if you guys say you don't.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps69581947.jpg
To be honest I love this look. I shouldn't. The truck is nowhere near worthy aesthetically...but I can't help myself.

...and the "slippery slope" of "while I'm there" made me realize the new mirror heads made the arms look like hell. Which in turn made the door handles look terrible:lol:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psa745969c.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psae3f0673.jpg

Dan, were those chrome letters difficult to get on straight and lined up correctly? Yours look like they are perfect. I got a set of those a while back but haven't installed them yet.

Baldeagle SR 08-11-2013 07:38 PM

I got to order 2 of those mirrors for mine. My pass door doesn't have the holes or the plate inside the door for the mirror. Who did you get your mirrors from? Thanks
Rich
my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576185

Dan in Pasadena 08-11-2013 07:41 PM

Hi Russ,

Nah, "piece of cake"....once I figured out how to do it, lol.

I have a 48" aluminum straight edge I held up to where I wanted the top of the letters.
I balanced one of those little bullet levels on it. Then I very lightly drew a sharp pencil line.

When I applied the letters I just eye-balled the side to side spaces, then I JUST covered the pencil line.

Dan in Pasadena 08-11-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldeagle SR (Post 6215604)
I got to order 2 of those mirrors for mine. My pass door doesn't have the holes or the plate inside the door for the mirror. Who did you get your mirrors from? Thanks
Rich
my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=576185

Whoops, you must have posted as I was writing that last post. The mirrors came from The Truck Shop in Orange, CA. I guess I was lucky because my truck DID have the threaded plate inside it. I used tiny chrome carriage bolts from OSH because I didn't want a Phillips head showing.

LDO 08-11-2013 07:56 PM

Dan, where did you pick up the chrome letters for the tailgate? That looks sweet.

Dan in Pasadena 08-11-2013 08:23 PM

Same-same, The Truck Shop in Orange. I THINK it's actually called The Car and Truck Shop.

It's surprising how many people really like those. I went to buy white or off white but it turned out they don't carry off white and were out of stock on white. The had black and the chrome ones....so 'ya know!:lol:

Spent some time today TRYING to polish the lips on my old Torq-Thrust wannabe's. Only partly successful. The previous owner told me he coated them with something. They were/are uniformly dull. I don't mind on the spokes but the lip has always bothered me.

I did this by putting the truck on jack stands and running it in gear - yes, dangerous. Turned out there was a thick film of SOME thing on it. It was so thick I started out sanding with emery cloth but that wasn't getting it so I shut it off to find I'd exposed an edge of the film. I used a combo of a carpet knife and a box knife while running to sort of "cut" the film off. Some of it came off in 3/4" x 5" or 6" long strips!

Anyway, it's not (yet) to my satisfaction but I did polish this one up. I really only want a machine finish or a little shinier. It's almost there but not quite uniform enough yet.

BEFORE:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps5c87a6f5.jpg

AFTER:http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psd59bf385.jpg

Kim57 08-12-2013 12:41 AM

The rims are going to look nice when done.
Kim

Daze57 08-12-2013 03:04 AM

wheels look good !