The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

pdxhall 09-27-2020 12:18 PM

Re: pdx-sanity66

4 Attachment(s)
I had an accident with the clearance lights I planned on using. After carrying these things around with me for years I dropped one of the lens and broke it. If somebody has an extra one lying around that they'll part with I would pay a fair price for it. pics of the lens for match up.

pdxhall 09-27-2020 12:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
It was a great day to pull Sanity out of the shop for some fresh air and a photo op with the new wheels and tires. I expect another inch or so drop as I add the hood, the glass, the bed wood and the tailgate and any settling of the springs.

pdxhall 10-03-2020 11:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I've been working on wiring and test fit on the rear lights and tailgate. I painted the light housings with a clear coat and then a highly reflective chrome like paint on the fronts. All light assemblies are originals to Sanity. I have been finishing up the rear electrical and I am restoring the original bezels to a brushed look. The rear bumper will be either painted white or rechromed. I had to slightly modify the 67-72 rear bumper brackets to fit and the they bolted up to the original holes in the frame. The tailgate was a real pain to get on by myself and the help of my cherry picker.

LostMy65 10-03-2020 12:40 PM

Looking oh so good.
Perfect stance.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1601223914

pdxhall 10-06-2020 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostMy65 (Post 8817411)
Looking oh so good.
Perfect stance.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1601223914

Thanks my friend.
I'm happy to report that I found a replacement for my broken clearance light lens so I'm back in business on that project. I'm almost done wiring the taillights and I'm working on the tail pipes. I'll try to post some more pics later.

cwcarpenter98 10-06-2020 11:46 AM

Those lights look really good. Are the lenses aftermarket or originals?

roll_the_dice 10-06-2020 11:48 AM

Looking good! how is the exhaust install going?

pdxhall 10-06-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8818813)
Looking good! how is the exhaust install going?

Thanks. The exhaust is almost done. I had to trim about an inch off of the muffler exit pipe to get the clearance I needed for the tailpipes. I'm going to do a couple of welds and the exhaust is finally done other than taking it all apart one more time to paint the exhaust pipes with some high temp paint since I used steel pipes instead of aluminized steel or stainless steel. Then put it all back together for good.

88Stanger 10-07-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8802566)
So, the exhaust project is getting close to completion. The welding went okay and like anything learned I got better as it went. The bad news is I got literally 3 in. left on the last piece and my mig gun bit the dust. I learned to weld on my little Eastwood 135 welder and I love it so I bought the replacement gun made for the welder. It went on fine and I'm ready to go. I still have to get some hangers on but I know where I'll put them. Here are a few pics of what I've been up to.

I read you nightmare about the exhaust and thought, i will try my own. I have had many new exhaust done at shops, but never really liked what they did, so i have decided to try my own hand at it. Bought a universal 2 1/2" kit, and we will see how that goes. i have yet to get mufflers, only because i need to see what room i have because i plan to exit the truck just behind the cab, so room may be tight.
Otherwise, i like what you have done!!

pdxhall 10-07-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8818812)
Those lights look really good. Are the lenses aftermarket or originals?

Thanks. The rear lens are originals I'm still going to polish them up a little. The front turn signal lenses are new. All of the housings, bezels, etc. are originals to the truck. I've restored them all. housings all blasted and then clear coated. The bezels had a couple of dings that I got out and then polished from 350 grit and proceeding down to 1200 grit and then 000 and 0000 steel wool. I'm not really in to a lot of bling so they will remain with a brushed look and a satin clear coat. I got the wiring done on the rear lights.

cwcarpenter98 10-07-2020 10:24 PM

Thanks! I think the brushed style looks better as well. I will most likely do the same with mine eventually. Are you happy with the look of the new turn signal ones? Mine have several hairline cracks in them and are a little faded, so I was considering new ones, but wasn't sure about the quality.
I did get new tail light lenses that have a GM Restoration Parts sticker on them. I'm saving those for when I eventually replace the bed though.

Warrens69GMC 10-08-2020 01:19 AM

Subscribing..

pdxhall 10-09-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8819546)
Thanks! I think the brushed style looks better as well. I will most likely do the same with mine eventually. Are you happy with the look of the new turn signal ones? Mine have several hairline cracks in them and are a little faded, so I was considering new ones, but wasn't sure about the quality.
I did get new tail light lenses that have a GM Restoration Parts sticker on them. I'm saving those for when I eventually replace the bed though.

The new ones are amazing. Exact replicas as far as I can tell. It might be the same company as originals.

cwcarpenter98 10-10-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8820376)
The new ones are amazing. Exact replicas as far as I can tell. It might be the same company as originals.

Sweet! I'll have to order some next time I buy some parts for the truck

clemdaddy 10-14-2020 08:02 AM

Do you still need a cab light lens? I have several amber ones that are from KD517 lights and the lens number is LS303. Let me know...
Truck is really coming together, seems like that Arizona weather and hard works is conducive to making good progress.
Really like the toolbox console idea, very creative.

pdxhall 10-15-2020 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 8822201)
Do you still need a cab light lens? I have several amber ones that are from KD517 lights and the lens number is LS303. Let me know...
Truck is really coming together, seems like that Arizona weather and hard works is conducive to making good progress.
Really like the toolbox console idea, very creative.

Thanks man, I have the lenses I need. I've been working on getting the truck on the road so the console has been put on hold for now. I've been slowed down by the heat wave we've been having but now that it has cooled down a bit I am making great progress. Thanks for checking in.

pdxhall 11-20-2020 01:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted for a couple of weeks but I've been getting a lot done. My phone camera got a scratch on the lens and that made for some out of focus pictures. I finally got my wife's camera and tried to catch up on what's been going on.
First off. I did get the exhaust finished and I'm real happy with it. I disassembled one last time to paint the pipes I made and to fit up the tail pipes. Everything has been assembled and aligned.
Second is the under seat original jack, handles, and brackets. I removed the driver's seat and got the brackets and springs installed. The jack holder was moved towards the center more because of the bucket seat bracket. The jack still rises and lowers with no issues other than the 50+ year old grease. I still have to clean and paint the jack and handle before installing. Both seats have been bolted down for the final time (I hope).
More to come.

cwcarpenter98 11-20-2020 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lookin' good! Only thing I noticed is I think the middle hook for the tool holding spring is on backwards.

This is how I have mine. No where near as clean as yours though :lol:

pdxhall 11-21-2020 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for noticing the bracket. I'll fix that. Here's another progress report.
The new horn button: I decided to use the key hole in the column for a horn button. I purchased the button from Amazon. It fit the hole almost perfectly. I had some scrap aluminum laying around that I made the backing piece. The wiring needed to be routed so I removed the steering wheel. I then removed the inner lock mechanism and it all fit very nicely. I clipped the horn wire from the turn signal cam and wired it to the button. I ran the wires for the switches ground and power. I just need to hook up those wires and it will be done. I also removed the "lock" word from the column and I'll touch that up.
I've got the hood on and very close to getting it adjusted. I fits great. I was a little worried about that with all of the work done on it.

roll_the_dice 11-21-2020 03:15 PM

Everything looks great! Keep the posts and pictures coming.

cwcarpenter98 11-22-2020 11:09 AM

I really like the look of the hood with no seams. Have you thought about doing the same thing to the front fenders?

88Stanger 11-22-2020 11:32 AM

nice work sir!

pdxhall 11-27-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8839223)
I really like the look of the hood with no seams. Have you thought about doing the same thing to the front fenders?

Thanks. it was a lot of work but well worth the effort I think. I'm not sure which part of the front you are referring to?
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8839237)
nice work sir!

Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun right now that the truck is about ready to drive more than around my driveway.

cwcarpenter98 11-28-2020 10:46 AM

I was referring to the outer front fender where the outer skin meets the part the surrounds the grille. Those two sections are spot welded together and I think had some seam sealer in it from the factory, but I'm not sure on the seam sealer part

pdxhall 12-02-2020 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8841930)
I was referring to the outer front fender where the outer skin meets the part the surrounds the grille. Those two sections are spot welded together and I think had some seam sealer in it from the factory, but I'm not sure on the seam sealer part

Any other seam filling would not allow me to replace/remove the fenders or the grill surround.
I finished wiring the horn and it works great. I also finished wiring my trans temp gauge except for the sender which I'm still working at sender location.
I've also been working on the headlights and grill. Right now I have 3 grills, 2 aluminum and the original painted grill with a nice patina. The 2 aluminum have issues. One is a grill that I picked up several years ago for free. I went to a guys place to get another part and this grill was just sitting out on the ground and he had no interest in it. The second grill is the so called NOS grill that I paid way to much for. It is my fault for not asking for more pictures. I don't doubt it was a NOS grill but I believe it was a defective grill that was replaced. It has all the problems that started showing up as the dies were starting to wear out. Most of the grill bars are bent, there are some bad creases in the outer part of the headlight bucket part of the grill. It is not fit to be used. I cleaned up my original painted grill a bit and I am using it for now. I am looking in to a place here in Tucson that I'm looking in to for restoration of one or both of the aluminum grills. I've got the headlight assemblies and wiring done on the grill. I'm waiting for headlight relays that should be here tomorrow and then the grill will be installed.

pdxhall 12-19-2020 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been slow at getting posts up but I've been getting alot done. I left off with the grill. I cleaned up the original painted grill, got all of the hardware installed that I previously blasted and painted or polished up. and finished the the wiring with an added pair of relays. It all works except I need to buy a couple of bulbs.
I've also been prepping the door jams and the sides of the roof to get some slick sand sprayed. Then I can get the top painted white so I can install the windshield and rear glass.

The Rocknrod 12-20-2020 07:42 AM

Great progress, it's looking good already. :)

88Stanger 12-20-2020 10:41 AM

looking good sir!

pdxhall 12-24-2020 06:11 PM

Thanks you guys.
I've got the top all sanded and taped off. It's a little cool out right now but Sat. and Sun. are supposed to be back in the low 70s. so I'm shooting for then. I've got the outside of both doors stripped, also, and I'm hoping to get some epoxy on them. The hood has been adjusted and I have an area on the rear corner of the hood does not line up. I got it a little closer to being okay but I have decided to fixt it with a patch. Luckily I still had enough of the donor hood to cut a couple of pieces that match the contour of the hood that I will trim up and use.

pdxhall 12-29-2020 04:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've almost completed all the mechanical and wiring of the truck. I have been working heavily on body work right now. I've been working on stripping the outsides of the door panels. I've also repatched the gas fill hole after a complete fail with the aftermarket patch I wasted $10 on. I cut it out and made my own patch. It worked out much better.
I've also been working on the hood. I finally got it adjusted to my liking but the pass. rear corner did not align properly. This is an area that was suspect from the beginning of alignment. Luckily I was able to salvage a couple more pieces from my donor hood to make a new patch to correct it. I'm still working on it but it's going to work out well, I think. I also got a couple of coats of slick sand on the sides of the roof.

pdxhall 12-29-2020 04:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
pics of the hood.

53Sparky 12-29-2020 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8856098)
I've almost completed all the mechanical and wiring of the truck. I have been working heavily on body work right now. I've been working on stripping the outsides of the door panels. I've also repatched the gas fill hole after a complete fail with the aftermarket patch I wasted $10 on. I cut it out and made my own patch. It worked out much better.

Looking good! What method are you using to strip the doors? It looks even and clean.
The gas fill repair 2.0 looks better, too!

pdxhall 12-30-2020 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53Sparky (Post 8856264)
Looking good! What method are you using to strip the doors? It looks even and clean.
The gas fill repair 2.0 looks better, too!

Thanks. I used my 5" random orbit disk sander with 80 grit. Then did a little sanding by blocks and 120 grit. These doors are in extremely good condition on the outside. I will be media blasting the insides and after I cut the bottom inside rust out I will media blast the insides before patching things back up. I really prefer to large panels by hand rather than media blasting. I can get a better feel for any problem areas as I strip them. As for the gas fill, I had some left over steel from my cab corner patch that I was able to form the bends with a little tweaking here and there and a light skim coat of filler.

pdxhall 01-21-2021 01:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have given up on the hood patch for now. I have tried several times to patch it and I just can't get a pesky warp out. I have covered it up so I won't keep obsessing about it. If anybody has a scrap hood laying around that has a good passenger rear corner piece I will pay a fair price for it.
So I am moving ahead for now. I decided to start on the doors. passenger side first. I removed the door, inspected what was needed on the bottom, and cut it out and fitted up the patch. it seems to fit fairly well with a small amount of adjustment. So now it's time to media blast the rest of the door inside and out, and epoxy prime before welding in the patch. I have to go out and pick up more crushed glass media before I start. We're having some wind and rain moving through so I'm also waiting for better weather.

roll_the_dice 01-21-2021 01:20 PM

Sometimes you just have to step back and take a break! I have many times hit my head against the wall...stopped waiting and then it all made sense and I got done what I needed.

Door looks good...that is about the only thing I still need to do to mine...but I am enjoying driving it too much to take the door off. haha

pdxhall 01-23-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8867514)
Sometimes you just have to step back and take a break! I have many times hit my head against the wall...stopped waiting and then it all made sense and I got done what I needed.

Door looks good...that is about the only thing I still need to do to mine...but I am enjoying driving it too much to take the door off. haha

Thanks. This was supposed to be my last body work and I was going to wait until I got on the road before starting them. But now I have this hood thing going on I decided to go ahead with the doors.
Yesterday I decided to cut up the driver door bottom and prep it for blasting. It's such a messy job I figure I will do both doors while I'm at it. I'll post some progress pics later.

pdxhall 01-26-2021 04:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I've got the driver door bottom cut out. It is not as bad as the pass. side. I'm still working on it but as soon as our winter weather here in Tucson improves I'll be media blasting both doors. I got my LED tail light and front turn signal lights a couple of days ago. I installed and tested the front lights even though I haven't got them installed and they are real nice. The tail lights are another story, first try after installing the LEDs and I have no power going to the rear. I need to trouble shoot but I don't anticipate anything serious.

SkinnyG 01-26-2021 08:58 PM

Nice to see drains in those patches. Mine didn't come with drains; I had to put them in.

pdxhall 01-27-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8870454)
Nice to see drains in those patches. Mine didn't come with drains; I had to put them in.

I noticed that on your build page. These are tri-plus pieces and the fit is very nice. Not perfect but an easy adjustment. Right now I'm waiting for nicer weather so I can do some blasting and move ahead with this project.

pdxhall 02-16-2021 02:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few more pics of the pass. door. I blasted the entire inside and then coated the inside with rust reformer and then a coat of Eastwood rust encapsulater the patch has been tack welded on. test fitted to make sure it fit. Now I will finish welding it up and then the outside gets epoxy. I'm also at the same point with the drivers door. pics to follow.