The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=627134)

oldman3 10-17-2015 11:15 PM

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7344416)
Jim, the event will be held again next October 11 - 16 2016. and is open to anyone who wants to attend. Registration fee for the participants has been only $100 for a number of years. That provides access to use all the tools, a reasonable supply of 19 gauge steel for your own use and attendance at any of the seminars you want to attend. Lots of the guys bring in tools and everyone shares or uses them too.

You and Mark should try to come over next year. Really a good group of people and a very friendly atmosphere.

Doug,
Will see what's in the cards next year, would love to be there...Jim

Advanced Design 10-18-2015 03:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7344776)
Doug,
Will see what's in the cards next year, would love to be there...Jim

Jim, hope you or any of the folks on here can make it! I've learned a lot from these talented people and have made many good friends.

Suburban is waiting patiently for me to get back on it. I followed Lower50's advice and ordered two tanks like he has. They are nice pieces that come with their own mounting brackets. Thanks Lower50's!

Only other thing I've done is count the splines on the rear axle - 28 - for the center section. The growing grass is slowing down so might be able to get back on it soon....

Sim6 10-18-2015 11:28 PM

That's some cool stuff. Maybe some day.....

youngrodder 10-19-2015 04:03 PM

That custom grill was very slick. Most custom treatments look well lets say......more different than custom. I like that one though.

Get back on that Burb..

Marc

GAc10boy 10-19-2015 04:56 PM

That's really cool you all get together like that. Some really skilled folks that have a talent I simply do not. Very cool!

lower50's 10-19-2015 06:20 PM

No prob glad to help. Looks like a really cool show.

reaper71 10-20-2015 09:42 AM

Thank's for sharing Doug...would love to attend next year if we can swing it!

Mark...

Advanced Design 10-23-2015 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sim6 (Post 7345861)
That's some cool stuff. Maybe some day.....

It is pretty cool. Arkansas isn't that far away. Maybe you can make it next year?

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7346525)
That custom grill was very slick. Most custom treatments look well lets say......more different than custom. I like that one though.

Get back on that Burb..

Marc

I hear you about custom. The fabricator teaches a street rod building class at a community college and is a cool guy. Just met him at the event. Trying to get on the Burb. Grass slowed down and now I have a lotta leaves needing attention. Appreciate your encouragement Marc!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAc10boy (Post 7346584)
That's really cool you all get together like that. Some really skilled folks that have a talent I simply do not. Very cool!

It is. The event started in 2001 in Alabama and moved to Oblong in 2005. I've learned a lot from these talented folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7346682)
No prob glad to help. Looks like a really cool show.

Coolest part is all the projects and hands on. Plus the good people! Thanks again for the lead on the tanks. One of these days I will install them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper71 (Post 7347401)
Thank's for sharing Doug...would love to attend next year if we can swing it!

Mark...

Mark, would be great if you and Jim could make it!

Sim6 10-24-2015 12:03 AM

Your right, didn't realize how close we are. Maybe 8 hours.......

youngrodder 11-05-2015 04:55 PM

Doug-

What gas tank are you using? Or is that TBD? I was planning on using a 65 mustang as that sounded like the logical choice for us AD guys, but after looking at the rear brace/body mount. I'm not sure it will fit like it does for the truck guys. I'm also thinking about reworking my stock LS wiring harness. I think that I read that your going with aftermarket...I'm not judging. I might end up going that route myself.

Just curious what you figured out.

Marc

Advanced Design 11-05-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7366132)
Doug-

What gas tank are you using? Or is that TBD? I was planning on using a 65 mustang as that sounded like the logical choice for us AD guys, but after looking at the rear brace/body mount. I'm not sure it will fit like it does for the truck guys. I'm also thinking about reworking my stock LS wiring harness. I think that I read that your going with aftermarket...I'm not judging. I might end up going that route myself.

Just curious what you figured out.

Marc

Hi Marc,

Right now I have a vague idea of using a Mustang or Camaro tank from the 60's in the rear and routing the fill over to the sidewall behind the tire then out to the rear fender. Hollister Road Company has some packages for the fill pipes that look promising. One of Crafty B's gas caps would be pretty cool to use. Here is an example https://instagram.com/p/9pQi2MLpa5/

Anyway I haven't puzzled it out too much yet for packaging needs. And I am pretty sure a rear fill will not work unless the tank is really low.

I will need to remove or modify the rear crossmember like I did in the truck. And I have a truck frame under my Burb. I thought the rear crossmembers for the truck and Suburban were the same?

For the LS harness I will likely use BP Automotive. A good friend who is very talented and does a lot of LS swaps, did modify one stock harness. It just takes so long to make it route and look good he said it was almost as easy to make one from scratch. Getting one from a supplier saves a lot of build time. He has used a number of them from different companies and is currently most impressed with BP.

We have a giant "Honey Do" list of stuff for the yard this week end so I don't think I will make the shop....again. Unless it keeps raining!

Marc, please throw up some pictures of yours to get me motivated and hungry again!

Iceburgh 11-05-2015 08:27 PM

I hope both of you guys have better luck with the LS swap then I did.
I pulled my 2nd harness and PCM out and starting over with a MSD efi system.
This way I can tune this myself using a handheld that comes with it.
Finding anyone who can tune these I have found out are either full of BS or are booked out 6 weeks.
Everything was going great until I got to sea level on a day in the 40's. The tune that was in it didn't like that combo and would barley run....MSD should fix that. Have a something similar on my truck but it is a throttle body. No issues at all.

bowtieguy79 11-05-2015 08:42 PM

Doug I need to come down some Saturday and help you out in the shop. We'll have to see what winter brings.

Advanced Design 11-05-2015 08:54 PM

Iceburgh, that is too bad. Hopefully the MSD will work well. I don't remember, was your engine stock? I've had very few problems with the LS in my 56 though it is a stock 5.3.

Brad, that would be awesome! You are welcome anytime.

I really need to piece my front radiator support together to see if my accessories will fit. Hopefully I don't need to slide the engine back more and want to verify. And then lift the body again to install the air tanks on the outside of the frame. And then...and then...etc infinity.

youngrodder 11-05-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7366212)
Hi Marc,

Right now I have a vague idea of using a Mustang or Camaro tank from the 60's in the rear and routing the fill over to the sidewall behind the tire then out to the rear fender. Hollister Road Company has some packages for the fill pipes that look promising. One of Crafty B's gas caps would be pretty cool to use. Here is an example https://instagram.com/p/9pQi2MLpa5/

Anyway I haven't puzzled it out too much yet for packaging needs. And I am pretty sure a rear fill will not work unless the tank is really low.

I will need to remove or modify the rear crossmember like I did in the truck. And I have a truck frame under my Burb. I thought the rear crossmembers for the truck and Suburban were the same?

For the LS harness I will likely use BP Automotive. A good friend who is very talented and does a lot of LS swaps, did modify one stock harness. It just takes so long to make it route and look good he said it was almost as easy to make one from scratch. Getting one from a supplier saves a lot of build time. He has used a number of them from different companies and is currently most impressed with BP.

We have a giant "Honey Do" list of stuff for the yard this week end so I don't think I will make the shop....again. Unless it keeps raining!

Marc, please throw up some pictures of yours to get me motivated and hungry again!

Doug-

Funny you mentioned Crafy. I'm very familiar with him. His shop is 40 minutes north from my house. Every summer he has an open house and last yr I drove my 48 to it with some friends in there hot rods. It was very cool.

Yes, I thought of selling my stock harness to put the money towards an aftermarket harness. I was surprised by how much they sell for. With aftermarket you can also have the length such that you can better hide the computer.

I might have gotten a big parts delivery, but have been asked to hold off on pics for a bit. Shhhhhhhhhh. I'm very stoked by the quality.

I will try to update with some pics of some of my progress.

Marc

youngrodder 11-05-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceburgh (Post 7366336)
I hope both of you guys have better luck with the LS swap then I did.
I pulled my 2nd harness and PCM out and starting over with a MSD efi system.
This way I can tune this myself using a handheld that comes with it.
Finding anyone who can tune these I have found out are either full of BS or are booked out 6 weeks.
Everything was going great until I got to sea level on a day in the 40's. The tune that was in it didn't like that combo and would barley run....MSD should fix that. Have a something similar on my truck but it is a throttle body. No issues at all.

Part of the reason I bought a whole car was to eliminate issues. If the car runs fine now my thinking is it will later after the transplant. Looks good on paper anyway..ha ha

As for tuning. My friends (Dutchboys Hotrods) who build high end grand touring cars with modern LS motors use a company close to Grand Rapids MI called Baker Engineering. They have a really good rep with that car scene.
http://www.bakerengineeringinc.com/

Marc

Advanced Design 11-05-2015 11:00 PM

Very cool Marc...Understood and looking forward to pic's. I actually Discovered Crafty through your build thread when you went to one of his gatherings.

youngrodder 11-05-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7366492)
Very cool Marc...Understood and looking forward to pic's. I actually Discovered Crafty through your build thread when you went to one of his gatherings.

Makes sense, I thought I posted about it before. I plan to use a small motorcycle pop up cap and mount centered inside the rear doors. I never heard of BP but I just researched them. The prices are not too bad.

Something similar to this.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weld-In-Flus...-/201223023622

Marc

ptc 11-06-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7366512)
Makes sense, I thought I posted about it before. I plan to use a small motorcycle pop up cap and mount centered inside the rear doors. I never heard of BP but I just researched them. The prices are not too bad.

Something similar to this.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weld-In-Flus...-/201223023622

Marc

If you dont need the weld on style to flush it with your fender you can weld on a regluar tube end and just screw this into it like a regular cap. Then the pop-up is there for much less.... i saw these on ebay for like $22

These work great.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/CpAAAO...OP0/s-l500.jpg

Advanced Design 11-07-2015 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very cool looking gas fill solutions guys. Thanks for sharing. Here is one of Crafty B's caps.

Marc - what are the stock harnesses going for? I figured they weren't worth much.

youngrodder 11-07-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7367731)
Very cool looking gas fill solutions guys. Thanks for sharing. Here is one of Crafty B's caps.

Marc - what are the stock harnesses going for? I figured they weren't worth much.

I searched completed auctions and I have seen them go for around $300. That is for a camaro harness. Maybe the truck LS harnesses go for less.

I took my son Austin out in the camaro for some burn outs before I rip the motor out. I'm impressed with the power of a stock LS1. He enjoyed that. At one intersection we whipped it around and did 2 dounts.

I also degreased the motor and washed The camaro to get some pics for listing it for sale after I pull what I need.

Hey what exhaust manifolds work best with the stock frame?

Marc

Advanced Design 11-07-2015 05:55 PM

I am going to try Camaro manifolds to see if they fit. May need to angle mill them like Farmer Sid did, which will kick them in toward the block a little more.

Thanks for the bounce back on the harness.

blake's first 11-23-2015 09:50 PM

Wow that looks like a very cool class...... I want to thank you for that link I'm sure I can't do it so I'm going to a friends to night and see if he can do it. Your Burb is cool I need something in that body style ...

FarmerSid 11-23-2015 10:29 PM

Have you tried the Camaro manifolds yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

Advanced Design 11-23-2015 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake's first (Post 7386650)
Wow that looks like a very cool class...... I want to thank you for that link I'm sure I can't do it so I'm going to a friends to night and see if he can do it. Your Burb is cool I need something in that body style ...

You are welcome blake. Hopefully it will work out for you. We like this body style burb and a few guys on here are building them. Actually, mine has been in super slow motion build for awhile.

Advanced Design 11-23-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 7386700)
Have you tried the Camaro manifolds yet?
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't yet Sid. Hoping to get to it this week since I am on vacation. Other things keep side tracking me..flat tire on the 72 Burb, bad starter on the 88 dually, windshield replacement on my dd, bad battery in the bucket truck, sealing shop roof, leaves in gutters, tons of yard work....blah, blah, blah excuses.

Anyway, they looked pretty close on yours after the angle mill, so I am thinking mine might not fit.

I was in the shop getting some of this other stuff fixed and I was pretty sure the 48 Burb was kinda miffed....

99 to Life 11-24-2015 12:07 AM

dang your string of problems sounds like my whole life!!! its always something, always a fight. Hope you get back on it soon.

Advanced Design 11-24-2015 12:20 AM

Thanks 99, I call that being in the broke vortex, when everything around you breaks, consuming all your time, energy and money. It happens from time to time and is magnified by having so many vehicles. At least the house appliances are behaving... for now.

Oh yeah, the Grasshopper mower is burning oil and will be overhauled this winter. Should be good for a long time since it only has 1,350 hours on it.

oldman3 11-24-2015 12:48 AM

Doug, just be happy that you have the skills to repair all that stuff. Don't blame the 48 Burb for being miffed, get back to work:devil::metal:...Jim

FarmerSid 11-24-2015 08:43 AM

I will be getting my hooker headers tomorrow so I will post a picture to compare the two.

Iceburgh 11-24-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 7387058)
I will be getting my hooker headers tomorrow so I will post a picture to compare the two.

curious to see how you feel about these and also the cost.
I am happy with the fit of my headmen but they were not cheap.

Advanced Design 11-24-2015 11:46 AM

Will do Jim. I cheated ...took the tire and the truck to dealership to fix. Glass guy is here replacing windshield. Prioritizing my time to be able to do some burb work. Will get back on it!

Sid, looking forward to seeing how your headers fit. I will throw these Camaro manifolds on to see how they look.

Iceburgh, Did you have to trim the frame just a bit? Also, did you get your electronics on your LS worked out?

Back to the shop for me....

Advanced Design 11-24-2015 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2010 Camaro manifold on the left side needs this much angle to almost clear the frame.

Advanced Design 11-24-2015 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And with the angle, the manifold hits the block. So, I'm going to go with some headers and use these manifolds on a different project.

RockinKees 11-24-2015 03:03 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with headers...
It seems like we all do!
Hope you find the right ones the first time ;)

Advanced Design 11-24-2015 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7387440)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with headers...
It seems like we all do!
Hope you find the right ones the first time ;)

Thanks Kees, me too. The broke vortex continues. The windshield for the dd was made wrong so he is coming back Monday with another one. Grasshopper and Gator each had one flat tire. Battery in 56 was marginal starting. Tested good recharge so we will see. Just drove it 30 miles though....

Never give up, never surrender.........

Iceburgh 11-24-2015 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Advanced Design;7387211]Will do Jim. I cheated ...took the tire and the truck to dealership to fix. Glass guy is here replacing windshield. Prioritizing my time to be able to do some burb work. Will get back on it!

Iceburgh, Did you have to trim the frame just a bit? Also, did you get your electronics on your LS worked out?

QUOTE]

Yes slightly...they fit but with the motor torque I wanted 1/4"
No not yet maybe on Turkey day. Gives me something to do when the rest of the family is there.
Been working on the '56....LOTS of work to do there

youngrodder 11-25-2015 12:53 PM

I'm curious if my Camaro manifolds will work with the PB set up. I remember one of the changes they made that delayed things was a change to allow a more flexibility on header selection. Fingers crossed that I can use the stock manifolds. I wont know for quite a bit.

Marc

Advanced Design 12-06-2015 09:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 7388542)
I'm curious if my Camaro manifolds will work with the PB set up. I remember one of the changes they made that delayed things was a change to allow a more flexibility on header selection. Fingers crossed that I can use the stock manifolds. I wont know for quite a bit.

Marc

Will be following along Marc to see how it works out.

Saturday morning planned the day in the shop, then wife reminded me we had a funeral to go to. Leaving at 9. OK, lunch in town, back home at 1:30. Sit down in recliner for just a minute before hitting the shop. Mistake...two hours later I headed for the shop. Ugh.

Not much done again...removed a broken bolt from the radiator support. Need to mount it up to see if I will have room for the accessory drive. Don't want to move the engine back unless necessary. Can't really tell yet. This is the truck water pump. I will put the inners on, add the accessories, mock up or buy the radiator assembly and then decide.

youngrodder 12-06-2015 10:34 PM

Well that worked pretty slick. Any progress is good progress. My Sundays are usually really good days for me to spend in the garage. Only problem was I was very FESTIVE at a holiday party last night and just felt like holding down the couch today......

Keep at it

Marc