The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Working Man's Burbon (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=698377)

LockDoc 11-18-2020 12:07 AM

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8837061)
Well with a couple hundred miles on the new springs I am happy with the decision to replace the bags. Not once have I slammed into the bump stops jarring the truck. I did miss the ability to drop the truck when I washed. But such are the trade offs.
I still need to get the correct bump stops installed. I may also cut 1/2 a coil off the springs once I'm sure they are done breaking in.
The shocks have become more noticeably inadequate. I don't know if it is from the damage to the one side or if the air bags worked better with these shocks than the springs do.
Another thing I noticed is the truck leans a bit more in corners than before. After some thinking have decided that is because when I modified the old lower control arms I moved the sway bar end mounts about 1 inch closer to the front. Which in essence shortened the lever arm of the sway bar. Cheap sway bar upgrade. Woo hoo!

At first I wanted to move the mounts forward to regain that stiffer bar response, but I would like to find a 1980's Trans am or IROC rear sway bar for the rear axle. So after that is done it would be better time to decide if I still should move the mounts.

What size is your front bar. You might have already mentioned it and I missed it. I have never tried a rear bar but I'm sure it would make a lot of difference. Especially on a Burb.

LockDoc

HO455 11-18-2020 10:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8837311)
What size is your front bar. You might have already mentioned it and I missed it. I have never tried a rear bar but I'm sure it would make a lot of difference. Especially on a Burb.

LockDoc

I have a 1-1/4" factory bar.
Having looked back at the fabrication photos my original statement of the sway bar mounts moving 1 inch was wrong. From the pictures it looks like 1/2" is a more accurate dimension. I find it interesting that only a half inch was that immediately noticeable.
Until now I hadn't considered that when I did the caster modification to the lower control arm shafts I moved the mount forward on the bar about 3/4". A 2 for 1 modification more caster and a stiffer sway bar!

72MARIO 11-30-2020 11:48 PM

I bought ride tech fox single adjustable shocks for my suburban. Absolutely insane the difference they make. Went from driving a boat to a slot car. I think you would be very happy with them.

LockDoc 12-01-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8837723)
I have a 1-1/4" factory bar.
Having looked back at the fabrication photos my original statement of the sway bar mounts moving 1 inch was wrong. From the pictures it looks like 1/2" is a more accurate dimension. I find it interesting that only a half inch was that immediately noticeable.
Until now I hadn't considered that when I did the caster modification to the lower control arm shafts I moved the mount forward on the bar about 3/4". A 2 for 1 modification more caster and a stiffer sway bar!

That 1 1/4" bar should work good. I have the small one on the Panel Truck and it even made a lot of difference.

LockDoc

HO455 12-03-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 8843044)
I bought ride tech fox single adjustable shocks for my suburban. Absolutely insane the difference they make. Went from driving a boat to a slot car. I think you would be very happy with them.

Thanks for the tip. Would you have the part number handy?

FLYNAVY30 12-03-2020 01:59 PM

I would measure your static ride height, from the ground to the bottom shock mount and from the ground to the top shock mount, then call Ride Tech and give them that info. I'm also running their shocks, but the shock is set up to run in a given range, so knowing the static ride height will ensure they get you the properly sized and valved shock for your application. Having a rough vehicle weight will also help.

HO455 12-03-2020 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. I was hoping for the easy way. :lol: But never the less, I will wait until I have finished adjusting the springs. At present the driver's side appears to sit higher than the passenger side. I have yet to put a tape measure on it so it may be just my imagination.
I have the weight though. I finally made a run to the dump without a trailer and now I know the WMB weighs 4780. That was without the 2nd row seat installed so it should be about 150 lbs more with it installed.

FLYNAVY30 12-04-2020 07:53 AM

Good stuff....you'll like the Ride Tech shocks!

If you decide you want to run double adjustable, I'm using Viking on my '64 Corvette and really like those as well. Made in America, and a VERY competitive price for true double adjustable shocks.

72MARIO 12-04-2020 09:46 AM

I used the following.

Fronts are 22149841. My heights are 15 extended 12 ride 10.5 compressed.

HO455 12-04-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 8844688)
I used the following.

Fronts are 22149841. My heights are 15 extended 12 ride 10.5 compressed.

Excellent! Thank you very much.

HO455 12-04-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 (Post 8844654)
Good stuff....you'll like the Ride Tech shocks!

If you decide you want to run double adjustable, I'm using Viking on my '64 Corvette and really like those as well. Made in America, and a VERY competitive price for true double adjustable shocks.

Good to hear your feedback on the Viking shocks. I have been considering them for my Firebird.

SkidmoreGarage 12-05-2020 07:16 PM

I just ordered a set of viking double adjustables for the rear of my c20. I decided a double adjustable made sense for a truck that may do double duty, where I may want low compression dampening for weight transfer, but may want a lot if I put something in the bed to stop it from slamming the bumpstops over sharp hits. With each of these adjustments it's nice to also adjust rebound to keep the tires in contact with the road.

I'd recommend giving no limit engineering a call. They are dealers for ridetech and viking with great prices (no really, the price they offered was as good as I could find anywhere without any haggling), but they are also willing to talk through what may be options for your specific application. They were happy to accommodate me, selling individual parts that I needed and sending photos and dimensions for things I didn't buy.

HO455 12-07-2020 04:19 PM

Thanks for the tip.

HO455 12-09-2020 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got my new good used wiper posts and linkages installed! The old ones had between 1/8" to 3/16" of slop in them. If I had to use the wipers for more than 15 minutes the squeaking would begin. Then I would have to hop out and spray them down with some lube and they would be quiet for a day or so.
I got nice used ones from Mel at Classic Bowtie. I soaked them in a can of oil for a month before installing. Sorry no photos time just super smooth wiper action. :mm:

But I do have pictures of my rear window defroster version 2. It is similar to the first one I built but this one has 3 fans!
The basic plan is pretty simple but trying to keep it as small and as light as possible has made it take longer than expected. Integrating the dome light added to the packaging problems.

HO455 12-09-2020 10:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More on the defroster. The side vent grilles are out of an early 2000's Dodge Durango or Caliper dash, I don't which remember for sure.
Getting the wires routed without pinching them took a couple of hours as I had to grind groves in the fan housings and then use the old ladies hot glue gun to lock the wires in place. I included a switch to allow me to turn the dome lights on from the rear. I must have owned my S10 Blazer for at least 5 years before I discovered the switch at the rear for the dome light. :dohh: I've been wanting one on the WMB from the start. I even started on one at one point but gave up when I decided to to a rear defroster.
I still have to create a grille for the air intake area in the top front and do a final coat of paint. I feel that giving it a month of testing would be prudent before finishing it off.
Driving around and having the fan on i can feel air moving past my head so I think it is going to work. Plus it isn't as loud as I was expecting it to be so that is a nice bonus. I actually think the first one was louder.

LockDoc 12-09-2020 11:15 PM

-
Looks good. My Panel Truck has enough leaks around the barn doors that I don't have a problem with ventilation back there. The windows never fog up....:)

LockDoc

HO455 12-10-2020 11:43 AM

Thanks Doc!
Never had a problem with the windows fogging up until I replaced the wood floor. Who knew all those holes were helpful. :lol:

HO455 12-13-2020 03:55 PM

The defroster is a success! :four:
After I drove home after work on Friday, I let the truck sit 45 minutes and then took a trip up to Vancouver. (Where I met a nice guy and bought some Burban parts. Friday was a good day.)
The rear wndow and the side windows were fogged when I got in the truck and by the time I drove 7 blocks and waited for one traffic light the back window was 75% clear and after more 10 minutes the rest of the fog was clear except for small spot next to my left shoulder.

LockDoc 12-13-2020 04:33 PM

-
Good deal! That will make it more enjoyable to drive for sure....

LockDoc

Dieselwrencher 12-15-2020 06:31 AM

Great deal on the new defogger! I'm guessing you'll use it a lot where you live.

HO455 12-16-2020 12:47 AM

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will get plenty of use along with my delay wiper module.

HO455 12-30-2020 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Made good use of Mondays nice weather and shot out to the Upull it in Sherwood. Got a rear sway bar from an 82 Trans Am. A pair of door handle relays, a heater box lower air deflector, a heater switch, some 67 front turn signal connectors out of a 67 Chevy long bed and a transmission dipstick from a 80 El Camino.
The 67 is quite rusty and pretty well picked over. It is a big window truck with what looks to be a Powerglide for a transmission.

HO455 01-23-2021 06:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have discovered that the rear defroster moves so much air that when it meets the heat from the front defroster next to my shoulder it fogs the driver's side wndow. I guess 2 fans would have probably been enough to do the job.

At some point before 12/5/18 and after 8/29/17 I replaced the pressure switch for the compressor. If I still had a memory would know when. :lol: Thank goodness I have this thread to help me if only I could remember to post everything.
Anyway at some point the pressure switch that was installed when I bought the WMB failed and I replaced it with a new one from Viair. I chose the Viair switch due to the nice rubber protective coating on it and I felt it was a better brand. However it has failed in the on position. Thankfully I decided to install the pressure relief valve in the system otherwise who knows what else would have broken.
After replacing the switch and inspecting it was noticed the deterioration of the outer coating around the wires (photos 1&2) so I cut the rubber coating off thinking there might be water underneath that was shorting the wires and keeping the compressor running.
I didn't find any sign of water or shorts so even though the coating wasn't looking good on the outside it was still keeping moisture out. When I looked into the air inlet port on the bottom it was obvious the problem is corrosion inside of the switch.
I find this unacceptable! This is a pressure switch sold for use in a small tank automobile system where there is going to be moisture/water in the tank. It should not be so susceptible to water damage.
For a replacement I used a Air Lift Pressure Switch # 24544. At least the body is brass and should be less likely to corrode.(The brass you see in the first 2 photos is a 1/4 NPT to 3/8 NPT adapter bushing.) Time will tell though. I also went to a lower PSI range since I no longer have front air bags. That should reduce wear on the compressor.

HO455 01-23-2021 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had run out to my sister's plsc e and drop off some lumber. I decided to take Marine Drive to avoid traffic. I was a beautiful morning and Mt Hood was larger than life. So stopped and took a picture. Same location as a similar picture I took several years ago. This time I tried to get the mountain to show up better. Which it certainly does, but now it looks like a painted set from an old movie.

LockDoc 01-24-2021 01:10 PM

-
You are right, it looks like the mountain is hanging out there in mid air. Still a neat picture though.

LockDoc

Ol Blue K20 01-24-2021 04:52 PM

Beautiful picture!

HO455 01-26-2021 11:43 AM

Thanks guys. I'm glad took the time to retake the photo. My being in the right location on a day when Mt Hood is that clear are very rare.

HO455 02-01-2021 10:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally was able to complete a little project I started months ago on the WMB. I relocated the Gearvendor auto/manual switch and the indicator lights. The first photo shows where they got stuck (literally with double sided tape) during the installation of the GV unit. They got moved over slightly as I kept bumping it with my shin. The other reason for the redo is the indicator lights are too bright at night. After some head scratching I came up with a nice out of the way location where the lights won't be pointed straight at my eyes.
I decided to put all 3 components in the ashtray so I could operate the switch without opening the ashtray and the lights would shine downwards so I would only see the reflection during the day and just a soft glow at night.
I laid out the 3 holes and drilled them before cutting 3 sides around them with a dremel. Then I bent the tab so the switch was angled for easy operation with one finger from under the the ashtray face plate. Bending the tab also made the switch sit flatter (More space inside) and it moved the switch lever up out of sight.
I used 5 mm LEDs with surface mount adapters. The adapters were metric and I did not have the perfect drill bit so they ended up a bit loose. But a couple drops of super glue seemed to lock them down nice and secure.
I failed to get any pictures of how I wired the LEDs. But basically there is a 470 resistor soldered inline with positive lead of each one. All the leads are protected by heat shrink tubing. (Photo #3) Also not shown are the crimp terminals I put on the ends of the leads to allow me to plug them directly into the GV connectors.
And the final result.

HO455 02-01-2021 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And there's still room for all the important stuff that lives in the ashtray.

HO455 02-13-2021 02:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I had to order some wiper blades after was unable to source a set refills locally. Ended up with these OER /Trico refills.
I have say I am not real happy with them. The don't really fit the arms well. The ribs on the back don't clear the folded tabs that hold the blade preventing the blade from sliding back and forth as the blade moves across the glass. (Photo 2)
After some fiddling about I decided to remove the ribs that were hanging up and causing the blade to bow. (Photo 3. Red arrow shows where the hang up is. Blue line is the bowed area.)
I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to remove 2 ribs on each blade. (Photo 4).
Photo shows the blade sitting much better on the glass, however in actual use the blades won't wipe clean in both directions. Even with additional tweaking of the metal stiffeners the blades don't work well.
I believe the reason is compared to the old blades these do not allow the blades to float in the arm. Definitely going to have to mess with these a bunch more.
Oh and they whistle when going 40-45 mph!
Here in NW Oregon wipers are important!

BigBird05 02-13-2021 07:38 PM

I read on here that the correct wiper blades are Tryco 33-150.The guy said he was real happy with them. I don't about them, but good luck.

HO455 02-13-2021 07:50 PM

Thanks for the information. I wish I knew the Trico number for the ones I got. The cross reference says they should fit. But fit and work properly seem to be two different things.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/o...rban/year/1967

Ol Blue K20 02-13-2021 09:06 PM

I went to napa auto part s and got the "classic 15 inch wiper blades" fit nice and work great!!

HO455 02-16-2021 06:13 PM

When I went to NAPA warehouse they told me the don't sell refills anymore.

Ol Blue K20 02-17-2021 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 8881271)
When I went to NAPA warehouse they told me the don't sell refills anymore.

Sorry, I got the blades. The fit the arms great and the metal frame looks stock.

HO455 02-17-2021 10:17 AM

I guess I'm showing my age but I hate throwing away perfectly good wiper frames.
My experiences have been that when I replace factory frames, the replacements never seem to work as well. They wear and get sloppy in a short period of time forcing me to by another set.
Just another example of corporate engineering to raise their bottom line at the expense of everyone else.

LockDoc 02-17-2021 01:17 PM

-
You should be able to take the blades out of the new frames and put them in the original ones. I have done that a couple of times.

LockDoc

HO455 02-26-2021 12:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well this seems really familiar. (Photo 1) Like post 360 all over again.
I hopped in the truck after a nice 13 hour day at work last night and I was more than ready to get home. My trusty truck fired right up, but the starter kept running. Grrrr!
I shut it down and tried to start it again, but no starter action this time. More cursing.
After another couple of mintues I tried it again and it started right up but I could still hear the starter running. I shut it off and while I sat there thinking of my options I noticed a bit of smoke and smelled burnt bakelite. Uggg.
Feeling under the dash I could tell the ignition switch was warm. After trying to get the plug off of the switch with no success I changed tactics and removed the ignition switch. As the tumbler didn't want to come out it took 30 to 40 minutes to finally get the switch out and in the open. Once I got the switch out it was obvious that there has been another switch failure. As to what caused it to fail is yet to be determined, but I did notice the ACC tab was kind of bent. I don't know if that was from my fight to remove the plug from the switch before I removed the switch or from something else.
I was able to cut off some of the plug that was melted (Photo #2) and scrape the terminal and connector enough to get a reasonable electrical connection for the 2 brown wires to reconnect to the ACC tab once the plug was reconnected to the switch..
The purple solenoid wire part of the plug body was too deformed from the heat to reconnect and since it was part of the problem with starter continuing to run I decided to leave it disconnected and to jumper it to start the truck and get home. Fortunately the truck was able to run with the damaged plug and I made it home without further issues.
The switch was new in August of 2018 some 25k miles ago. More troubleshooting to follow.

LockDoc 02-26-2021 12:29 PM

-
Not sure what would cause that, Looks like the terminals were clean. It's usually a corroded spade terminal or loose connection but there may be something else in the mix here. Maybe a bad NSS?... Keep us posted on the outcome.

LockDoc

HO455 02-26-2021 03:14 PM

I'm not sure either. With the first new switch and a new under dash harness all within 3000 miles of each other it should have worked for much longer than it did.
Having made so many changes to the electrical part of the truck since the first switch failed l don't believe there is a common cause for both failures, but good call on the neutral safety switch. I will check it out.
I think I will post a question over on the truck side to see if anyone else has had a premature switch failure. Maybe something helpful will come to light from that.