The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

cwcarpenter98 03-13-2021 04:13 PM

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8893661)
That's an awfully good looking 9' foot bed you got in that trailer! :D

Yes, it is! Surprisingly solid, but beat up because of being a work truck

cwcarpenter98 03-18-2021 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got some daylight after work so that I could do a little work to Frankentruck before the C10 Club GA meet on Saturday.
A couple weekends ago, I went up to Southernparts' place and got the whole tour. His place is a 60-72 c10 haven! Thanks to him, I was able to get a heater control lever to replace the broken one on my truck. New knobs are looking good as well. It's so nice to finally have all 4 knobs there on the dash. Looks more complete.

No, the air lever doesn't even have a cable hooked up to it. Apparently, the previous owner swapped the standard levers for deluxe levers at some point in time. I'm glad he did though, because I have a valve connected to the heat lever. No more grabbing a piping hot, manual heater valve when I forget that it was on and I'm burning up inside the cab during the summer.... Can you tell I've done that multiple times now? :lol:

Bath time tomorrow after work and then Saturday morning will be the start of around a 260 mile trip :metal:

Johns 66 03-18-2021 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8893656)
Adventure complete :metal:

Frankentruck did really well pulling a trailer today

HMMMMM I bet I know where thats going...LOL

cwcarpenter98 03-20-2021 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8896329)
HMMMMM I bet I know where thats going...LOL

A good home and not a crusher. A win win! Too bad the rest of the truck was in such poor shape. If the roof hadn't been crushed, it would've been a great candidate for a patina driver or even restoration

cwcarpenter98 03-21-2021 12:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Aside from two issues with Frankentruck, today was great! Got to look at a ton of cool trucks, see some good friends I haven't seen in awhile, and source another patch panel to fix up Frankentruck's rust.

I'm not sure how many trucks were at the C10 Club GA meet, but it seems like somewhere close to 100. There was a great variety of original paint, great patina, and beautifully restored trucks. As the show was winding down, I was helping Woody (Southernparts) pack up some of the stuff he brought to sell. A guy said that he had a rough 60 that might still have some useable parts on it. We went to check it out and man, it was toast. Must have been wrecked and rolled over. I totally forgot to take a pic of the truck though. There wasn't much left, but I grabbed the radio delete plate, passenger door lock cylinder and cut the back half of the passenger fender off. The top flange where it bolts to the inner fender on Frankentruck is rusted out pretty bad, but this truck wasn't rusty in that spot. One of the few spots that wasn't rusty :lol: Now I've got a patch panel that I don't have to make myself!

If you've driven up or down 441 between Athens and Cleveland, then you might have seen the truck in the last picture. It's a 66. I believe a C30 because of how long the frame is. It has been sitting there for around 30+ years. Ran and drove when parked. Was parked because the tire was flat. It looks like the front sheet metal had been replaced with 60-61 pieces because of how the hood hinge springs mount and it had a 60-62 radiator and fan shroud. I wanted to buy some parts off it, but unfortunately the owner doesn't want to part it out. The cab might be useable, but the front sheet metal is pretty much toast. If I had a place to put it, I probably would have bought it!

The two issues: Overdrive fuse popped again on the way up. The overdrive started to engage, then the fuse blew and that was it. I threw in a new fuse before heading back home, and it popped just a few miles after I turned the overdrive back on. I might swap out the solenoid with the spare one I have and see if that's part of the problem.
The second issue is that the transmission is now popping out of third gear. It did it a couple times last weekend while pulling the trailer. Today, unloaded, it popped out on the way home 6 different times.

cwcarpenter98 03-28-2021 04:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I spent yesterday afternoon under Frankentruck. The donut gaskets between the manifolds and exhaust pipe blew out once again. Trying an all metal version this time. Hopefully it will last longer than a couple years.

While I was underneath, I think I found why the clutch would make a popping noise occasionally. The clutch rod is worn about half way through and the z-bar hole is now egg shaped.

I still can't get the passenger side door to close properly, so I guess I'll be ordering new latch stuff for that side soon. The window regulator is has a rusted roller and almost 1/4 turn of play in the handle, so I'll probably be getting a new one of those too

Getter-Done 03-28-2021 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The metal doughnut gaskets last alot longer.

I remember using those along with Brass/Bronze nuts on the studs.

You may use the brass nuts also.
It makes taking them out later much easier.

Link below for example.

Link:https://www.walmart.com/ip/Exhaust-F...4462ddfadc3a70

Attachment 2092104

cwcarpenter98 03-28-2021 08:39 PM

I didn't know that brass was commonly used there. I'll probably switch over next time I have them apart. I also had an issue way back of the nuts backing off, so I doubled up and stopped having that issue :lol:

cwcarpenter98 04-03-2021 11:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Drove up to the swap meet in Commerce today to buy some parts. I also ended up bringing home more stuff as usual :lol: I'll get pictures in the daylight tomorrow of that stuff.

I got to meet DPowers today and get some super nice original door latch hardware from him. I couldn't wait till tomorrow to switch them out, so I went ahead and did both sides today. My doors close so great now and the body lines are so much better now too!! I don't have to slam the doors anymore now :metal:
Thanks again Dwayne!

cwcarpenter98 04-09-2021 08:39 PM

So I keep forgetting to get pictures of the parts haul.

But, unfortunately, I have some sad news. I noticed that some of the tape that is functioning as my window seal on the inside was falling down on the passenger side. I stuck it back on, but when I pushed on the metal some, it moved! :eek: The passenger side of the roof can be moved up and down too. I'm afraid that if I don't fix it soon, I'll be driving down the road and will get a brand new convertible...

roll_the_dice 04-09-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8906090)
So I keep forgetting to get pictures of the parts haul.

But, unfortunately, I have some sad news. I noticed that some of the tape that is functioning as my window seal on the inside was falling down on the passenger side. I stuck it back on, but when I pushed on the metal some, it moved! :eek: The passenger side of the roof can be moved up and down too. I'm afraid that if I don't fix it soon, I'll be driving down the road and will get a brand new convertible...

Oh no! Convertibles are great...when you buy one...not when one is made by the wind!

cwcarpenter98 04-10-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8906104)
Oh no! Convertibles are great...when you buy one...not when one is made by the wind!

I agree! I'm going to limit the amount of driving above 55 mph that I do to almost none until I go back home for the summer.

cwcarpenter98 04-11-2021 06:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Frankentruck made a new friend today.

Andy came to pick up the 9 foot step side bed today. His truck sounds like it's running great now.

It was great to meet you and your wife, Andy!

roll_the_dice 04-12-2021 09:56 AM

We enjoyed meeting Frankentruck and you yesterday as well! You know it is a good time when you get somewhere to pick up parts and 3 hours later you are leaving because everyone is passionate about cars and the conversation flows easily and everyone has a good time! Thanks again for finding needed parts for my GMC build!

cwcarpenter98 04-17-2021 12:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a paid day off from my internship, so I decided to go look at a long bed that was listed on Craigslist. The bed was very straight and original paint. Unfortunately, it ended up being rusted out in multiple places. Too much rust for me so I passed on it.

Since I was kinda close to a yard that I know of, I decided to stop by and found a couple more neat pieces. Had to make something out of the trip :lol:

Got a pair of 64 c10 and c50 badges, one 65 c10 badge, a 60-61 Chevy headlight bezel, a 64-66 radio delete plate with really nice clips, a couple hubcaps good for wall art, and 2 cigarette lighter delete plugs

cwcarpenter98 05-01-2021 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Haven't worked on Frankentruck in awhile, but I've been driving around a lot.

Went today to get a Mark III body kit for my Dakota. Same color as my truck and still in pretty good shape. The guy had a nice 69 or 70 K10, but I didn't get a picture of it.

Also saw a really nice Corvair in downtown Madison

cwcarpenter98 05-08-2021 09:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Open diff, wet grass, and street tires... not a good mix :lol:

Getter-Done 05-08-2021 10:19 AM

Is that some treasure I see in front of you?:lol:

Maybe when the grass drys a little bit :chevy:
You will get to the treasure;)

cwcarpenter98 05-08-2021 03:10 PM

There's some good treasures hidden there. That's just where I borrowed the trailer from though.

The treasure I went after will be in the next post

cwcarpenter98 05-08-2021 03:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This is what I drove to Starr, SC, to get. A pretty decent, green long bed. It's a lot better than my current bed, but could still use a little work.

I'll be selling the 65 C20 frame it's sitting on to offset my cost of the bed some

Getter-Done 05-08-2021 04:18 PM

:c2:
The 3/4 full floating rear axle is worth $ if it good.

Nice bed:metal:

cwcarpenter98 05-08-2021 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got it unloaded, but once again grass was not my friend. Huge thanks to Flashed for letting me borrow his trailer and a parking spot for the frame until I sell it.

I've got another week of work for my internship, but then I'll be back to get the beds swapped and get my trailer up and going

roll_the_dice 05-08-2021 11:26 PM

If you sell the frame let me know...I might be interested to turn it into a trailer for future use.

cwcarpenter98 05-21-2021 08:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got to spend some time with my mom today taking the new bed apart. Mom was up top holding the bolts while I was underneath with all the rusty nuts and bolts.

We got the sides and front panel off today. I'll have to go back to get the rest of the cross sills and floor apart

Getter-Done 05-21-2021 10:24 PM

You have a Super Mom:metal:

Great Progress:chevy:

cwcarpenter98 05-22-2021 09:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Getter-Done: Yes, I do have a super mom! There's not many moms out there that would sit out in the sun all afternoon to help loosen some rusty bolts

Today's update:

This morning I helped my dad paint part of the back deck. After lunch, I started working on the bedsides some more. I pulled the angle iron off the front flanges to really get a good look at what all needs to be replaced. I have some 14 gauge steel plate, so I tried to make my own flange, but that didn't work at all. Hopefully I can find some place local that could make a patch for me for both sides.

I also pulled the wheel tubs off to check for any rust through. Only found one split in the metal on one bedside. Both tubs are in great shape for being 50+ years old

My newest tool purchase made quick work of the bolts from the tubs to the old plywood. I didn't feel like trying to loosen all of them, so they got the death wheel

cwcarpenter98 05-24-2021 06:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I don't have a metal brake, but I had some left over steel from the welding table I built. I found a custom shop over in Marietta that was willing to bend up some flanges for me, so I got that done this morning. After lunch, I started on the bedside. Went full send and just started cutting after a fee measurements.

Here's some pics of starting to weld the new flange in and where it's at now. These bedsides still might be temporary, so for now, it's good enough to keep rocking the "patina" phase. I also found a stress crack near one of the braces, so I drilled out both ends then welded it up.

Now it's time to figure out how I want to go about getting some square holes in for the carriage bolts :fry:

roll_the_dice 05-24-2021 11:32 PM

Looks good!

65Custom 05-25-2021 08:11 PM

Christian was just reading your thread you have done a lot of great work on your truck and looking good, I like that you are driving it while fixing as you go. excellent work

Kevin

cwcarpenter98 05-26-2021 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8924591)
Looks good!

Thanks, Andy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 8924934)
Christian was just reading your thread you have done a lot of great work on your truck and looking good, I like that you are driving it while fixing as you go. excellent work

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! I enjoy driving it a lot more than working on it. When I do have to take it off the road to fix it, the thought of getting back behind the wheel with a more improved truck makes me want to fix it even faster

cwcarpenter98 05-26-2021 11:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Had to do some school work yesterday for my 2 summer classes, so didn't work on the new bed at all.

This morning I drilled the holes in the new flange. After that was done, it was time to paint the bare metal and where the wheel tub mounts. I also cleaned and painted the flanges on the wheel tubs to slow down the rust in those spots.

Probably should have gone to get some paint that matches a little better, but I'm hoping that the gloss will fade out some in the sun and be close enough for now. I used the same can on the driver's door last summer, and it matches up fairly well now. You have to look really close to see it.

Time for lunch! :exit:

cwcarpenter98 05-26-2021 03:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm covered in metal dust, but at least my welds aren't terrible. I decided to leave some of the good, original flange to make it easier to line up.

Time to drill some holes and throw some paint on it

cwcarpenter98 05-26-2021 05:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Perfect? Far from it.
Functional? Oh yeah :metal:

bsarts 05-26-2021 08:31 PM

Looks good, it's satisfying work to get rid of the rust and make something serviceable again like that.

cwcarpenter98 05-26-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsarts (Post 8925328)
Looks good, it's satisfying work to get rid of the rust and make something serviceable again like that.

Thanks! It is quite satisfying, and now I have something that will match the truck a little better than before

cwcarpenter98 05-27-2021 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
:)

cwcarpenter98 05-27-2021 10:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ohhhh yeah, new bed sides are on.
I still can't believe I found useable bedsides that are green and without trim holes!

I'm almost ready for the C10 Club GA swap meet on Saturday.

All I have left is to drill the holes for the reverse lights, install them, and add my 4 tie down points like what I had in the old bed. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow, but I've got some school work to get done first and might have some rain to battle as well. If I don't get it done though, I'll still be able to go to the swap meet

I do kinda like the look of no bed sides. Probably going to have to build a C20 or C30 flatbed truck one day

The Rocknrod 05-28-2021 09:51 AM

That's some good work. :)

roll_the_dice 05-28-2021 01:56 PM

Looks awesome. Did you weld L steel stock and drill holes for the wood bed?

cwcarpenter98 05-28-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8925861)
That's some good work. :)

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8925968)
Looks awesome. Did you weld L steel stock and drill holes for the wood bed?

I didn't think of that as an option. I had some leftover sheet steel from when I built my welding table, so I used that. It was flat though, so I went to a shop over in Marietta that made two bends in it for me with a metal brake. Then it was cut, weld, grind, repeat, and drill holes. I didn't do great on a couple holes :lol: