The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

special-K 08-18-2023 08:26 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

3 Attachment(s)
That's a great health check and treatment for more years of enjoyment.

Last week I stopped in to my longtime friend at his upholstery shop. I used to drop in pretty often years ago, as did others, which he welcomes. He can carry on with his work and keep a chat going at the same time. He even keeps a couple chairs at the desk. Don is a serious classic vehicle guy. He is the second generation of this four generation shop. His dad bought a '72 Cheyenne Super/20 in Ochre & White that he restored to pristine stock a few years back. He did the interior work on my '71 Custom Camper/20 (Cheyenne) years ago and my other vehicles before that, going back to the '70s.

Anyway, when I stopped in last week he asked if I'd help him out with repairs on the garage he built using the logs from a dismantled 1800s log home. A couple logs need replaced and that kind of work is right up my alley (or is it farm lane?). I'll be getting to it this fall. Can't wait!

Lost in the 60's 08-19-2023 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9231222)
I stopped in last week he asked if I'd help him out with repairs on the garage he built using the logs from a dismantled 1800s log home. A couple logs need replaced and that kind of work is right up my alley (or is it farm lane?). I'll be getting to it this fall. Can't wait!

That will be interesting to see how you sneak the old out and replacement back in with all that sealer between them.

special-K 08-19-2023 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in the 60's (Post 9231674)
That will be interesting to see how you sneak the old out and replacement back in with all that sealer between them.

Yeah it will be a bit tricky. Brace it all up, including center beam for 2nd floor, break out the chinking with brick filler, and cut the logs out. They are the ones behind the flag from door to rear corner. I'm looking for some hand-hewn logs 12' in about the same dimension. The log is exposed inside as well, with the stairs up against it. So stairs need to come out. That rear corner will be the big challenge. Water damage to other logs above and and the interlocking ones on the back wall. I'm going to have to get a heavy post on there bolted in for support, then make a corner board that is structural. Otherwise it would be replace a lot more logs. It's fortunate these logs run into the door frame and not to the other corner. I'm looking forward to it.

The problem is how the chinking was done to be flush with face of logs. The way they were done was recessed a bit and covex, which prevented water from getting in behind

Gotenntitans 08-20-2023 08:54 AM

Okra anyone? That’s 490 pods! I love it fried and I also have a great shrimp & okra gumbo recipe that I like to make in cooler weather.
https://i.ibb.co/TgHS718/68-E72-E26-...3-A8154400.jpg

Getter-Done 08-20-2023 09:21 AM

For Sure:metal:

Fried Okra is good.:mm:

68bowtie 08-20-2023 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 9232060)
Okra anyone? That’s 490 pods! I love it fried and I also have a great shrimp & okra gumbo recipe that I like to make in cooler weather.
https://i.ibb.co/TgHS718/68-E72-E26-...3-A8154400.jpg

Wow! Have you tried dehydrating it? It makes a great salted chip (my favorite way to eat ochra).

Gotenntitans 08-20-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9232069)
Wow! Have you tried dehydrating it? It makes a great salted chip (my favorite way to eat ochra).

I have not tried dehydrated okra. A lady I work with made me a batch of pickled okra last summer. Pretty good with fish.

Boog 08-21-2023 06:47 AM

I just recently had a bucket full of fresh okra. I only eat it skillet fried though. Fried okra, pan fried potatoes, fresh purple hull peas, corn bread and ham is some kind of good!

special-K 08-21-2023 09:01 AM

Frad okry is the best!!

Lost in the 60's 08-22-2023 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9231716)
Yeah it will be a bit tricky. Brace it all up, including center beam for 2nd floor, break out the chinking with brick filler, and cut the logs out. They are the ones behind the flag from door to rear corner. I'm looking for some hand-hewn logs 12' in about the same dimension. The log is exposed inside as well, with the stairs up against it. So stairs need to come out. That rear corner will be the big challenge. Water damage to other logs above and and the interlocking ones on the back wall. I'm going to have to get a heavy post on there bolted in for support, then make a corner board that is structural. Otherwise it would be replace a lot more logs. It's fortunate these logs run into the door frame and not to the other corner. I'm looking forward to it.

The problem is how the chinking was done to be flush with face of logs. The way they were done was recessed a bit and convex, which prevented water from getting in behind

I'll be watching for this to start and following along. That's going to be very interesting.
I'm learning how to extend the gable end of my 23 yr old pole building/shop and refacing it after removing the sliding doors and replacing with a sectional. Not much care about having the walls plumb or square with this and nearly every piece is custom cut to match what was done. Very time consuming and tedious to make look decent.

mr.mud1 08-30-2023 08:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
well once again,i don't know how i get roped into working on this junk but here it is,a truck but not MY truck.i haven't owned anything this rotten in my life and see no need to?a 2015 Silverado that should be in the bone yard long ago and then this man brings it to me wanting rockers put on it?there's nothing to weld the rockers to?anyway here goes.making something out of nothing.

Redneck Rydes 08-30-2023 09:03 AM

Gotta love Northern trucks

Ol Blue K20 08-30-2023 12:27 PM

Best of luck to ya..

72c20customcamper 09-01-2023 09:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Helped a friend diagnose a vibration in his 502 67 SS Chevelle . Found a large crack in the turbo 400 bell housing. Runs from bottom to top

richard2717 09-03-2023 04:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had to go out and make emergency repairs to a sign at the beach a car ran into. On the way back there was a car show so I swung in to take a peek just as it was breaking up. Not a lot of pictures but these 2 grabbed my attention before everyone was gone.

Getter-Done 09-03-2023 04:10 PM

That 55 got Shrunked. :lol:

72c20customcamper 09-03-2023 05:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Had very low water pressure this morning . Found two cracks in the 50 year old copper nipples . A 1inch union and two nipples 69 bucks

72c20customcamper 09-06-2023 05:32 PM

Got my 98 Jeep inspected today . Very nice not having an emissions test . They looked over the truck and slapped a safety inspection sticker on . Was half the price too

Getter-Done 09-06-2023 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9237568)
Got my 98 Jeep inspected today . Very nice not having an emissions test . They looked over the truck and slapped a safety inspection sticker on . Was half the price too

Do the ZJ Jeeps have the Jeep wave ? :lol:

I like the looks of those:metal:

72c20customcamper 09-07-2023 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9237668)
Do the ZJ Jeeps have the Jeep wave ? :lol:

I like the looks of those:metal:

I have an XJ . But it seems they would too, even get waves in the 04 Tacoma

Getter-Done 09-07-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9237807)
I have an XJ . But it seems they would too, even get waves in the 04 Tacoma

Whoops
I Fat fingered that.
I was looking for an XJ last year,
Then I found a 2WD Straight 6 cyl WJ for a song.
Something for my Dog to ride in.:lol:

I really like it.

72c20customcamper 09-07-2023 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9237924)
Whoops
I Fat fingered that.
I was looking for an XJ last year,
Then I found a 2WD Straight 6 cyl WJ for a song.
Something for my Dog to ride in.:lol:

I really like it.

I'm really liking this one too I've had 5 over the last 30 years . Had a couple ZJs too great vehicles . Dont like any of the new Jeeps .

Steeveedee 09-07-2023 06:22 PM

Cleaning out the motorhome after camping. We got invaded by ants. Time to fumigate.

FleetsidePaul 09-08-2023 06:47 AM

My buddy came by in his 1966 F100 4x4. It decided that it wanted to stay in my driveway. I know it's not a Chevy but I like all the old stuff and really wanted a 4x4. So it's now mine.

The old 352 FE runs like a Swiss watch. and no rust. All in all it's a pretty clean truck. I'm going to lose the lame wheels and get some bigger/taller ones maybe some steelies and a slight lift. Nothing crazy Just give it more of a 4x4 look. A couple little changes like replacing the front bumper and putting the fender emblems back on. Keeping it basically stock with a little attitude. That's about it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...5_Ford_4x4.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...4_interior.jpg

Palf70Step 09-08-2023 07:41 AM

Nice looking truck Paul