The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What did you do today not on your truck... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=810698)

special-K 09-08-2023 07:49 AM

Re: What did you do today not on your truck...

What wheels are on it? Some of the later optional factory wheels look good on the earlier trucks, the way rallyes look good on older GMs. Even their argent colors spoke style wheels. But the later (like '96) steel wheels look great, about 10 clots like rallyes and they take a dog dish cap. With the short wheel openings in the rear you have to watch going wider

FleetsidePaul 09-08-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9238066)
What wheels are on it? Some of the later optional factory wheels look good on the earlier trucks, the way rallyes look good on older GMs. Even their argent colors spoke style wheels. But the latest steel wheels look great, about 10 clots like rallyes and they take a dog dish cap

It's got these on it now. I don't know what kind of wheel this is. They just look too small to me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/66_wheel.jpg

Micmac 09-08-2023 10:38 AM

Beautiful truck sir. I had one of those back in the day. It was light blue. Enjoy.

Steeveedee 09-08-2023 11:07 AM

Nice looking truck, Paul! My dad had one like that but it was "tree frog" green. He switched the "R" to second spot, "O" to third spot, and filed out part of the "D" to make it a "G". FORD -> FROG. :D

paul blair 09-08-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9238053)
My buddy came by in his 1966 F100 4x4. It decided that it wanted to stay in my driveway. I know it's not a Chevy but I like all the old stuff and really wanted a 4x4. So it's now mine.

The old 352 FE runs like a Swiss watch. and no rust. All in all it's a pretty clean truck. I'm going to lose the lame wheels and get some bigger/taller ones maybe some steelies and a slight lift. Nothing crazy Just give it more of a 4x4 look. A couple little changes like replacing the front bumper and putting the fender emblems back on. Keeping it basically stock with a little attitude. That's about it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...5_Ford_4x4.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...4_interior.jpg

You are a lucky guy Paul,

A1971Blazer 09-08-2023 11:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Not my truck but one my buddy is working on.
Apparently someone broke the 9" housing and gorilla welded it to the point that it warped the mounting face for the 3rd member such that it won't seal.
I machined it back down as flat as possible while removing the least amount of material as possible.
Attachment 2296066

Attachment 2296067

72c20customcamper 09-08-2023 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice truck Paul .

Today started out with a simple job replace the head pipe donut on the 04 Envoy . Got it apart lots of heat and cussing but none of the studs snapped . Get the donut out it’s all in one piece and wasn’t leaking . Ended up the manifold is cracked . So I ordered one from Rock Auto should be here Monday .

Steeveedee 09-08-2023 01:52 PM

^ Good thing the pipe had to come off, anyway.

72c20customcamper 09-08-2023 02:41 PM

Keep saying I’m not putting any more money into it has some frame rot but if it becomes not safe I’m pulling the 4.2 and front seats for one of my trucks . It’s got 112k miles on it

Getter-Done 09-08-2023 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 9238116)
Not my truck but one my buddy is working on.
Apparently someone broke the 9" housing and gorilla welded it to the point that it warped the mounting face for the 3rd member such that it won't seal.
I machined it back down as flat as possible while removing the least amount of material as possible.
Attachment 2296066

Attachment 2296067

Great Set-up:metal:

We have a couple of guys in the shop that I am Employed at.,
that know the mechanical stuff and issues that would be created in this situation:uhmk:

They can Do It Right.

They know;)

Then there is the others that
can be caused by welding (fast and furious) with no plan and minimum knowledge of the Mechanical stuff behind it.

I only have so much control at my job,

To keep the 30+ year experience people from making the same mistakes they have made for 30+ years.

Centers and Squares ;)

3757chevy 09-09-2023 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice truck Paul. That is the last year of Ford pickup that I like. IMO they got to boxey after that. Those wheels look alot like the ones on our '96 Bronco. One of the guys that hangout at Tuesday night Cruise night has a nice pickup with the same style wheel.

4u2nv 09-09-2023 05:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 9238102)
It's got these on it now. I don't know what kind of wheel this is. They just look too small to me.

Same as what was on my 87 but no name on them

LockDoc 09-09-2023 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
-
Pat and I drove the '36 to the local Dairy King for ice cream.... They close tomorrow.

"I'LL BE BACK"..... :lol:

LockDoc

Steeveedee 09-09-2023 09:22 PM

Went up to the local ReStore and bought a hall table made of quarter-sawn white oak. Gorgeous piece, but needs repair. I think that it is put together with hide glue, which I'd like to avoid, for a number of reasons.

special-K 09-09-2023 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9238564)
-
Pat and I drove the '36 to the local Dairy King for ice cream.... They close tomorrow.

"I'LL BE BACK"..... :lol:

LockDoc

Nice to see the old car out. How many dates with Pat does this make in the '36 now? ;)

72c20customcamper 09-10-2023 09:11 AM

Decided to put the Envoy back together and just run it with the cracked exhaust manifold . Annoying tick but the header goes way under the firewall and looks to be a huge deal . The frame is iffy on it and I really think this may be its last winter . The new manifold will be here tomorrow so lol just shelf it and when I pull the motor for a future project I’ll do the manifold . The 4.2 will be a nice upgrade in a truck . Only has 112k or so on it

LockDoc 09-10-2023 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9238583)
Nice to see the old car out. How many dates with Pat does this make in the '36 now? ;)

Holy cow Tim, that is a good question. Even if it was only 10 a year that would be over 600.... :lol: I have had the car for 63 years and Pat and I just celebrated our 58th anniversary.

Lots of good times in it for sure.

LockDoc

special-K 09-10-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9238712)
Holy cow Tim, that is a good question. Even if it was only 10 a year that would be over 600.... :lol: I have had the car for 63 years and Pat and I just celebrated our 58th anniversary.

Lots of good times in it for sure.

LockDoc

I didn't mean to make you rack your brain, buddy :lol: I'm sure the number is up there. The story of you and that car could make a book. I was 5 when you got it

72c20customcamper 09-10-2023 05:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
8 lbs of Pork loin and 4 racks of ribs done with hickory and cherry wood

Steeveedee 09-10-2023 09:45 PM

^Yum! I'm betting that my one son is going to get something smoke sometime soon. It's been several weeks. Guess I could spot him some dough...:lol:

dieseldawg142 09-11-2023 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

them wheels look a lot like Eagle Alloys. i belive they were bought out a few yrs ago and not in production anymore. got the same rims on my crew, but i powder coated the rims on the truck, but my spare is still natural alum.
Attachment 2297790Attachment 2297792

special-K 09-12-2023 07:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The tires are too small. Tall skinnies would look better. I think the stock steelies would look great, even without hubcaps, but with a mud tread to look like one back in the day. But, '65 fullsize car dog dish caps are one of the nicer looking caps Ford made

I like to see the older trucks with the newer factory wheels. Ford had an alloy that looked like Outlaw IIs, but I actually think the argent wagon wheels with the center caps and beauty rings would look perfect. Those came on F150s and Broncos '84-'91. The beauty rings have a double red pinstripe that set them off.

72c20customcamper 09-12-2023 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
New hinge pins and bushings on the 98 Jeep . Did it the right way took the door off and believe it or not the easier method . All back together and the door closes perfectly no more drop

Getter-Done 09-12-2023 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 9239851)
New hinge pins and bushings on the 98 Jeep . Did it the right way took the door off and believe it or not the easier method . All back together and the door closes perfectly no more drop

Great Job :metal:

tutone 09-12-2023 09:44 PM

It must have been a day for door work. I put a new door handle on the 98 k1500. What a royal pita. Thank goodness for a couple of good youtube videos on the subject.