The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

64shortbox 03-24-2012 11:19 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

markeb01,
Thanks, and yes if it was one degree off I would have cut the pedal off and rewelded straight or stuck it in the vice with a little heat and give it a little tweak. Like you said stuff that isn't square & plumb just irks me to no end. I also tend to notice the little stuff. That's how I saw what doobiebro did with his brake pedal. He posted a picture of his interior and I noticed his modern brake pedal. I asked him how he did it and he told me. The people on this site are the best.

MisterC,
Thank you too. As stated before I stole the idea from doobiebro. I'm not smart enough to think of stuff like this on my own, but I have no problem stealing other peoples ideas. I'm just glad everyone on this site is so willing to share. I have learned so much, yet the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know squat.

LinkbeltOE 03-25-2012 10:39 AM

64shortbox,
It was very easy once I figured out how to remove my axles. No "adjustments" we're needed. I had everything powder coated first and I'm waiting on my calipers to come back so I'm not 100% done but im 99%.
Posted via Mobile Device

dean jendro 03-25-2012 06:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sanded some more on my cab, media blasted some small parts and made a pile of larger stuff for the chem strip guy. Also worked some on the grill, mounted the headlight buckets in the grill and mounted the grill assembly in the grill mount to check all the fits. Found that the clearance on the top side was real tight so I enongated the mounting holes to allow me to drop the grill about 3/16 inch in the opening.

Anyone know what the purpose is of the little rubber thingy shown on the headlight buckets? Thanks.

firefighter736 03-25-2012 06:51 PM

Got the wood bed test fitted and the holes drilled. Can't wait to get my tailgate done and I'll be practically done with the major stuff..

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...05957111_n.jpg

losthope 03-25-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean jendro (Post 5274383)
Anyone know what the purpose is of the little rubber thingy shown on the headlight buckets? Thanks.

they have to do with the wiring harness on my truck they were electrical taped to the harness, holds them up to the buckets, i dont know how they origanally go, theres one on my hood also for the turn signal harness...
http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/a...nnz/008-18.jpg

dean jendro 03-25-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losthope (Post 5274392)
they have to do with the wiring harness on my truck they were electrical taped to the harness, holds them up to the buckets, i dont know how they origanally go, theres one on my hood also for the turn signal harness...

That's what I thought. I don't think I'll be able to reuse them though. The rubber is hard as a rock and if I try to push them back thru the holes they'll probably break. I've never seen any of these as repops.

markeb01 03-25-2012 08:23 PM

Oops sorry, didn't see the earlier response.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean jendro (Post 5274383)

If you're talking about the two things that I pointed to, those are factory anchors for the wire loom. They were taped into the factory harness so it could be snapped in place during production:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9453/img0560ge.jpg

Fyi I have used many of these over and over again with success. They will usually pop right out if you collapse the prongs with a pair of pliers. I believe they are solid nylon so they're pretty stiff to begin with.

dean jendro 03-25-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5274566)
Oops sorry, didn't see the earlier response.

If you're talking about the two things that I pointed to, those are factory anchors for the wire loom. They were taped into the factory harness so it could be snapped in place during production:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9453/img0560ge.jpg

Fyi I have used many of these over and over again with success. They will usually pop right out if you collapse the prongs with a pair of pliers. I believe they are solid nylon so they're pretty stiff to begin with.

Mark,
The part that pushes thru is bullet shaped and is pretty hard. I'm going to put it in at pot of hot water for awhile then lube it up and push real hard. With any luck I can reuse. Thanks for the input.

MARTYZ 03-25-2012 09:25 PM

Snow is gone here in ontario canada, got truck out of storage and cleaned it up, and then found this forum. Good day all round

losthope 03-25-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTYZ (Post 5274754)
Snow is gone here in ontario canada, got truck out of storage and cleaned it up, and then found this forum. Good day all round

Welcome Martyz!! Great group of people here hope you enjoy! Pictures of your truck? Any info on it?

ABX131 03-25-2012 09:44 PM

Well It drove my truck for the first time down to the hardware store and noticed it ran really hot. The brakes worked well but I think the radiator might be plugged, it was scorching hot.... I changed the thermostat and no improvement...I feel good though that I was able to drive it!!

65Gregg 03-25-2012 10:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I made my 65 jealous, I bought another toy to park beside it, a Trailblazer SS to use as a daily driver. IT IS FUUUNNNN.

E911manager 03-25-2012 10:24 PM

Installed the throttle cable and set the bed in place.. Took off the inner fenders from another donor truck and started to mock them up to fit the frame and bigger radiator.

Then I did a little "grass slinging" in the back yard. I almost fell off my bucket!!!:metal:

66-PMD-GMC 03-25-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E911manager (Post 5274913)
Installed the throttle cable and set the bed in place.. Took off the inner fenders from another donor truck and started to mock them up to fit the frame and bigger radiator.

Then I did a little "grass slinging" in the back yard. I almost fell off my bucket!!!:metal:

Dude! you is crazzzzzy...:lol:

dantimdad 03-25-2012 10:56 PM

Not a whole lot on the truck today. I fabbed up part of the drivers door post and started cutting out the rot in that area.

Also, not on the truck. I got the back axles out of the 65 falcon and the old bearings removed. Need to take them to a buddy to have the new ones pressed on.

Steven

markeb01 03-26-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E911manager (Post 5274913)

1964 Caprick-up - YouTube

Looks like fun. When I was 16 I actually did fall off a barrel while hanging donuts in my 47 Chevy coupe in the street right in front of the house. Thankfully I was nimble and scrambled to the brake pedal and stopped the car with my hands, stalling the engine! The car stopped inches from the neighbors 49 Buick. I didn’t get caught, but it was the last time I did anything that stupid!

markeb01 03-26-2012 12:58 AM

In preparation for a conversion to a cable throttle next weekend, I paid for a 71-72 pedal mechanism, and ordered an NOS cable assembly today. I located a ball stud for the carburetor, then spent 4 hours looking for two missing bracket pieces I didn’t use years ago when I set up the engine. I finally found one the parts (the one I didn’t need). After all that, it looks like I’ll need to do some different anyway!

64shortbox 03-26-2012 01:43 AM

markeb01,
I'll definately be watching for your new cable throttle installation. That's the next thing on my agenda. Now that my 73 brake pedal is done I want to install a suspended throttle cable gas pedal. I picked up a pedal assembly from the 73 doner truck but the throttle cable was cut. I'm waiting to collect all the parts before I get started too.

E911manager 03-26-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5275258)
Looks like fun. When I was 16 I actually did fall off a barrel while hanging donuts in my 47 Chevy coupe in the street right in front of the house. Thankfully I was nimble and scrambled to the brake pedal and stopped the car with my hands, stalling the engine! The car stopped inches from the neighbors 49 Buick. I didn’t get caught, but it was the last time I did anything that stupid!

Well, I did it twice, so I didn't learn the first time...

dean jendro 03-26-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Gregg (Post 5274893)
I made my 65 jealous, I bought another toy to park beside it, a Trailblazer SS to use as a daily driver. IT IS FUUUNNNN.

The Trailblazer's the one who should be jealous! LOL

65Gregg 03-26-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean jendro (Post 5275767)
The Trailblazer's the one who should be jealous! LOL

The 65 just wants the LS2. Mybe being parked close to the TBSS something will rub off on the 65 (it is my favorite)

66-PMD-GMC 03-26-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

I can't believe a gorgeous 65 would be jealous of a plastic late model anything.
Seriously, no comparison in classappeal...:metal:

markeb01 03-26-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

I hope your 65 has a forgiving soul. My 1960 GMC is very generous towards stable mates, but my previous 46 Ford was a green eyed monster. If any other car got any attention at all in the same garage, the 46 would crap all over me the next time out!

ChuckW 03-26-2012 06:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
66 C10 LB Headway thanks to some good friends!

suzq044 03-26-2012 06:41 PM

.. nice mini. LOL

(and obviously, good work on the truck..;) )