The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368988)

chainsaw 04-06-2012 11:49 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today?

Got the front bumper painted and installed. Drove it around the block a few times and got my first "Hey I love that truck" from the guy in the car next to me within five minutes of driving. All thats left is to paint the bed floor(metal) and get the seat redone. Of corse I have to cut and buff,power steering,disc brakes ---- Damn I thought I was almost done ;)

mud.man.rj 04-06-2012 02:03 PM

Went to fit the drivers door but new rocker was installed to high before I bought the truck, so cut it, lowered it and welded in a piece, welded a piece in the floor and found the inner rocker was missing so fabbed one up, welded in and undercoated everything after the sealer dried, wow, then the door, fit good now. On to the next door and rocker now.
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8599.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8598.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8602.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8605.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8610.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8613.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8612.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8615.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8616.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8617.jpg
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/...j/DSCF8618.jpg
Gettin it together finally, nice to get started, can't wait till paint.

markeb01 04-06-2012 11:13 PM

Installed the stainless trimmed 1971-72 clutch and brake pedal pads.

MisterC 04-07-2012 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my new NOS Bumper Guards mounted. Thanks, once again, Ebay! :metal:

markeb01 04-07-2012 06:29 PM

I saw those the other day. Good for you, a nice addition.

tincan1966 04-07-2012 07:27 PM

Frame is up on the stands, stripped of all suspension and turned over for welding and cleaning. Body is still at the blasters getting cleaned up. Removed the rear swing arm crossmember and flipped over. Hope to cut the "c" notches tomorrow and box the rear frame section. With any luck I may get the rear air bag brackets cut out also.

jbgroby 04-07-2012 10:38 PM

I started the wiring process today. My brother came over from Mississippi and gave the points as we laid out the wiring. I was stumped on the ignition switch, but he figured out that all we needed to do was remove the connectors from the supplied socket and hook directly into teh bacl of the ingition. The rest was liad out and easy.

Will start the photo documentation next week.

Glad this is started, I've been wanting to get this out of the way for about 6 months now.

_1966ChevyPU 04-08-2012 01:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the old factory power steering and drag link all pulled off as well as the drag link and tie rod links off the manual steering front clip I got off CraigsList. Put the stuff from the donor clip on and mounted up and now I'm back to a roller that's no longer a duck foot.

a37lesalle 04-08-2012 06:59 AM

Got the primer on yesterday morning and by the end of the day got it wet sanded. Will shoot the color tomorrow. Still trying to figure out how to post pics. When I do I will post some.

ABX131 04-08-2012 10:09 AM

Did a custom install on a radiator and new water pump. While I had the whole front end removed I did a heavy duty pressure wash and degreasing of everything. Then I started to paint the engine and surrounding accessories...not done yet but I will post before and after pics when I finish the engine bay. Got some free saddle tanks and a front bumper and found out my new neighbor's uncle owns a junkyard with a couple of 60-66 Chevys...the parts list is being made. Also I was given a 49cc stand up scooter for my 11 year old..needs a new pull cord. Great day for sure!

66-PMD-GMC 04-08-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _1966ChevyPU (Post 5300465)
Got the old factory power steering and drag link all pulled off as well as the drag link and tie rod links off the manual steering front clip I got off CraigsList. Put the stuff from the donor clip on and mounted up and now I'm back to a roller that's no longer a duck foot.

Do you have a build thread?

_1966ChevyPU 04-08-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-PMD-GMC (Post 5301002)
Do you have a build thread?

The closest I have is the thread I started asking questions about it...

Power Steering Help

Captainfab 04-08-2012 09:46 PM

After all the family left this afternoon, I went out and got the Suburban fired up. It hasn't run since last fall. I had to clean the battery terminals, and give her a jump, but she fired up as soon as gas got up to the carb. Hopefully I can find the time to make the necessary repairs and start driving it again.

dantimdad 04-08-2012 09:53 PM

Got the mechanical fan removed and mounted the electric fan. Bought the wrong bolts to put the water pump pulley back on so I have to get those tomorrow.

The engine compartment is really cleaning up good! Can't wait to pull the front clip and the engine and start stripping and painting all of it.

Steven

markeb01 04-08-2012 10:22 PM

A quick trip to the coin-op car wash blew all the winter crud off the engine compartment, after which the truck received its first bath in about 6 months. After setting several new records for bad winter weather, it was a real treat to be outside washing the truck in 50 degree sunshine temps.

A.T. RockDriller 04-08-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 5301936)
A quick trip to the coin-op car wash blew all the winter crud off the engine compartment, after which the truck received its first bath in about 6 months. After setting several new records for bad winter weather, it was a real treat to be outside washing the truck in 50 degree sunshine temps.

You sure aint kiddin.

Chevy Fleetside 04-08-2012 11:05 PM

I pulled the engine and tranny back out so I can paint the firewall. I am just going to do it in my garage. Hopfully sometime this week or this weekend.

ABX131 04-08-2012 11:06 PM

It was 64 deg here in Seattle, usually you are having better weather on the other side of the state there Markeb01...

Sillyoldman 04-08-2012 11:07 PM

I put mine up for sale today. I had to put a tow strap on it to extract it from the shop to get a few pictures. To get it back inside I had to pull a drum and mess around with the brakes. It's time....

Vics63Chevy 04-08-2012 11:14 PM

Painted the engine bay :metal:
http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/...5_HDRfixed.jpg

A.T. RockDriller 04-08-2012 11:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Looks real good Vic...

I cranked up the '63....been sitting for a couple months due to me givin' all my attention to the '66.
Drove it to my Mother-in-laws for Easter dinner.
Damn I love drivin that thing.
I snapped a couple shots thinkin I need to change my avitar pic....Don't know if I will change it....but here are a couple candidates if I do..

Woogeroo 04-09-2012 02:01 AM

old trucks are fun(repeat until you believe) - Easter Edition!

----

There I am in my big blue 1965 chevy truck... riding out to my buddy's place, about 17 miles away.

Nice Easter Sunday afternoon... vroooom.

Perfect driving weather except for all the crazy church drivers going fast and cutting me off!

*truth*

However, I digress...

I get to my buddy's place... 'hey man, how ya doing? What's the latest... hey, we hungry or what, ok... pizza? let's do it.. yers or mine? let's take mine, the winders are already open...'

Get in truck... crank... vrooom.... engine dies. Hrmmn? crank it again, it's fine... 'well, that was weird.' We ride about 300 yards away and it dies.

Now, after 9 years of owning this frankenstein(different years of parts cobbled together) of a Chevy truck, I know a few things or four about it... so we check this, that... and I think 'ya know, last time it acted like this, the power to the electric fuel pump was the culprit... ' and because of that incident, I have a backup positive wire running from the battery down to the pump... I jump the wires over and the fuel pump makes a very slight death 'ker-plunk' and then no-thing. NOTHING.

ooopsies.

Great.

Fun times ahead for me!

We roll it backwards down the hill and into a now thankfully vacant church parking lot... (thank ya lawd for not letting it die out on the main road!) .

Now the fun begins...

Folks, I'm here to tell ya that this newfangled gasoline with the ethanol in it... burns on the skin like you would not believe possible. hooooooo eeeeeee, I was lit up and I still have some nice red spots on me, ow!kwitit!

My buddy walked back to his place, grabbed his tools and his truck, we went to parts store, buy new pump, go back to truck... start to take off pump, gas goes everywhere all over me. I can report that this new ethanol gas tastes worse than old gas too. Now, naturally, the new fuel pump won't fit into the already existing and mounted bracket band which my mechanic or his crew put on a few years ago.

Wonderful.

So, I'm fussing with the hoses to get 'em off and get 'em on and gas is spewing and running out, and I'm on fire cuz it's irritating the snot out of me(serious understatement) and then I get the hoses on. Yay. Then... I notice... the rubber hose from the tank to the new electric fuel pump is dry rotted, has a nice slit in it and it is in fact, leaking.

I had to laugh, of course... mr. murphy is my co-pilot today.

Now... my buddy goes back to his place, grabs some fuel hose and some hose clamps he had lying around from a past project(he's a recovering old car guy, he has go-fast motorcycles now) and comes back. I'm laying under my truck trying to be philosophical about this and ponder : well, at least it is a awful pretty day, I'm right by my buddies house and it isn't raining.

hah!

Buddy comes back, I get back to work - new hose, new clamps, done.

My pal brought his wire stripper/crimping tool and some connecters, yay... get that done... now, will it crank, or was it something else?

crank... VROOM.

hallelujah!

Throw tools in the trucks, clean up our mess in the parking lot and off we roll back to his place for further inspection.

Now, how are we gonna mount this thing? Hmn... the bolts that came with new mini micro pump (mr. gasket - mini micro #12s for you gearheads out there) are too short to go through the plastic mount of the pump housing and the frame itself through the already existing hole.

Mr. Murphy had not yet left us, you see?

My buddy scrounges around and like a true gear head, he has some bolts, nuts and lock washers lying around.

*smirk*

Now I'm looking at this issue... fuel pump mounting is about a inch and a half away from the already existing hole in the frame... but, I have rubber fuel line on each side of the fuel line, so I can wiggle it side to side.

Aw dang it, I'mma take another ethanol bath.

%*&#&!$*@!!!

O.K., so I took my man pill and explained my predicament to my pal and he says: oh, ok, now we are being picky.

I say: that's right, my OCD is now fully active... got any more fuel line?

So, I did the other side of the fuel pump and had more adjusting room. Taking yet another bath in gasoline, this time with a straight shot to the mouth, luckily I have ridden in this kinda rodeo before and learned from my dad to keep my mouth closed when dealing with gas lines on cars and you are underneath the thing.

*thanks for the tip dad!*

Now we got new old stock fuel line on each side with the screw in adjustable manly hose clamps and I have it lined up with the already existing mounting hole on the frame.

YAY.

new bolt and hardware and done.

yay.

But... but... hey... wait... it's... leaking?

from...

fuel line to engine compartment ---> fuel pump ---> in line fuel filter ---> gas line to fuel tank pickup

that came with fuel pump that we already screwed in and snugged down!!!

Hrmmn.

Mr. Murphy must be on the porch now in the rocking chair.

Now we snug it some more... driiiiiip.

A little more.

drii ii iii pp.

A lil, lil more.

dripppp.

**aaahh. we are gonna break it!**

I double check directions to see if maybe we were supposed to use some kinda sealing tape or a gasket, something... nope, nada.

So, we tighten it a little more and it's really in there...

I'll check it tomorrow and see if it requires further attention.

Now, put up tools... I've been sprayed in gas from my head to my belly and laying in it all over my back(my shirt has long since been tossed cuz the gas sitting soaked on my skin was making me insane, yes it hurt that much)... and my hands and fore arms are filthy with old truck grime and I'm covered with that sand that accumulates on roads and driveways.

For you Jerry Clower fans, my pal starts making jokes about going into town with me in this condition, no shirt, big fat jelly belly hanging out and dirt and grease all over... and making like Marcel Ledbetter wanting a bellywasher at the beer joint... I told him : " but, I don't have a chain saw... " he says: we'll just drag the door off with a chain.

*hah.*

So, Cuz finds me some clothes to borrow(luckily we are both big boys! - hah), I take a scrub/rub down/shower/change clothes and we finally go eat pizza.

sheesh.

old trucks are fun.

repeat until you believe.

Ya'll have a good week!

--end--

-W

doobiebro 04-09-2012 02:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished installing the steering column on my 60 truck....Found a 32" universal GM Hot Rod chrome tilt column on Ebay for only $199.00 shipped to my door... The columns I have seen by diff vendors in the price range from $499.00 - $800.00 is to rich for my blood.

a37lesalle 04-09-2012 06:39 AM

It was actully yesterday, but got the first coat of color on. Did not go as good as I was hoping so had to stop that until next week. I also got the new door weatherstrips installed and some wiring done.

1963c-10 04-09-2012 03:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Had to cut the passenger door open from the 61 donar truck that had been t-boned to remove the glass and internals. Surprisingly, the only thing broke was the door latch. The glass has the metal frame around it, is in the factory finish and looks like it was installed a week ago. Was a good score. The driver door was rust free and will be installed this weekend. I wanted to upgrade my 63 from the standard glass to the metal lined option. Mike (k1rodeoboater)came over and did the dirty work and I did the removal.