The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Trouble codes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601256)

Hart_Rod 10-23-2013 08:54 PM

Re: Trouble codes

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 6329631)
I'm not sure he's doing the '12-'13's yet....but may be waiting for a customer that wants a tune and HP Tuners so that they can send him scans and he can send them tunes to load...and would work a combo deal. All you can do is ask. I can't say he's always gotten everything right the 1st time...but has been willing to work with me on everything thats come up and has sent half a dozen files or more to get mine fairly dialed in. W/O putting it on the rack (dyno) its hard to say its "peak" tuned. Just ask for Allen.

http://www.nelsonperformance.com/index.html

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Ok I fired it up and feathered the throttle for 3 or 4 minutes and then it would idle on its on. I let it idle for about 5 mins while I checked the fluids and adjusted the fuel pressure. After that was done, I shut it off and then tried to restart it. It wouldn't start unless I feathered the gas pedal and then I had to keep messing with the pedal to keep it idling. When I shut it off, I checked the codes and I had two P0300s and P0174.....

68GMCCustom 10-23-2013 10:32 PM

misfires...possibly due to the lean bank. I'd look for a spark plug/wire/coil issue on that side.

smoky02 10-24-2013 07:58 AM

Also check your grounds, and random ground not being attached will do some crazy things.

smoky02 10-24-2013 09:18 AM

Also, I'm not trying to scare you, but my Camaro randomly through that P0300 code a while back. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and eventually I pulled my valve covers to find I had a few broken valve springs.

Hart_Rod 10-24-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 6330252)
misfires...possibly due to the lean bank. I'd look for a spark plug/wire/coil issue on that side.

I'll check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoky02 (Post 6330611)
Also check your grounds, and random ground not being attached will do some crazy things.

I'll check.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoky02 (Post 6330694)
Also, I'm not trying to scare you, but my Camaro randomly through that P0300 code a while back. I couldn't figure out what was going on, and eventually I pulled my valve covers to find I had a few broken valve springs.

Where they new valve springs?

Hart_Rod 10-24-2013 11:49 AM

John said the problem might be the 80lb injectors. ...he also said my tune was unlocked. Does that mean I don't need credits from HP TUNERS to update the tune?

jorgensensc 10-24-2013 01:39 PM

Unlocked means that others can look at and adjust your tune. Some tuners lock it so no one can see what they have done. Also the credits bought are registered and only good for the person using hptuners to do the tune. If you want to tune it you would still need to buy/use the credits so it can be registered to you. At least that is my understanding. Different people all have to pay independently.

BR3W CITY 10-24-2013 02:37 PM

There is a cost for the credits to unlock the pcm from the factory, essentially making it open (not read only). That cost is for the individual to pay a tuner.

Then there is the cost of the software itself. That is usually a cost the tuner pays as an investment in a tool, and charges his fees' to each individual to recoup costs and make a profit. This is a not a set amount. There are two main versions of the software from what I can remember.,

1. full software and box for around $550, comes with credits for a few vehicles (i think 5, keeping in mind some different vehicles would use a non-standard amount of credits).

2. Is around $750 and is the "shop" version, which includes a ton more/unlimited credits. This one costs more up front but pays for itself by waiving the need for recurring fee's for credits. IF you plan to do other peoples tunes, this will pay for itself around the 5th tune.

Hart_Rod 10-24-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6331076)
There is a cost for the credits to unlock the pcm from the factory, essentially making it open (not read only). That cost is for the individual to pay a tuner.

Then there is the cost of the software itself. That is usually a cost the tuner pays as an investment in a tool, and charges his fees' to each individual to recoup costs and make a profit. This is a not a set amount. There are two main versions of the software from what I can remember.,

1. full software and box for around $550, comes with credits for a few vehicles (i think 5, keeping in mind some different vehicles would use a non-standard amount of credits).

2. Is around $750 and is the "shop" version, which includes a ton more/unlimited credits. This one costs more up front but pays for itself by waiving the need for recurring fee's for credits. IF you plan to do other peoples tunes, this will pay for itself around the 5th tune.

Thanks for the clarification. Here is the cheapest place I've found:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpt-6021/overview/

Also, will I be able to "tune" the TCM? Thoughts on the other codes and symptoms I've posted? Thanks,

Rob

clinebarger 10-24-2013 08:12 PM

Still getting These Codes?
P0122
P0223
P0315
P2122

And now these...
(2) P0300 Multiple misfires, Don't understand 2 of them though.
P0174 Lean Bank 1

More info on your engine & mods?

John isn't willing to help you?

Hart_Rod 10-24-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 6331476)
Still getting These Codes?
P0122
P0223
P0315
P2122

And now these...
(2) P0300 Multiple misfires, Don't understand 2 of them though.
P0174 Lean Bank 1

More info on your engine & mods?

John isn't willing to help you?

Still getting the first 4 codes. Cleared the last 3. He's to busy. 2013 Camaro 6.2/6L80. TVS 1900 Magnacharger. 80lb siemens injectors. I mechanically removed the VVT/AFM. I'm using a 2004+ corvette pedal. Comp Cam with dual valve springs (cam specs are above), 7.4 pushrods. 1 7/8" mid length headers. LS9 map sensor. Rest of motor is stock. It won't idle and less you feather it.

Hart_Rod 10-24-2013 09:34 PM

Here are the cam specs:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-54-45311

UPC: 036584213741 Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet Basic Operating RPM Range: 1,500-6,700 Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 219 Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 235 Duration at 050 inch Lift: 219 int./235 exh. Advertised Intake Duration: 269 Advertised Exhaust Duration: 285 Advertised Duration: 269 int./285 exh. Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.607 in. Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.621 in. Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.607 int./0.621 exh. Lobe Separation (degrees): 113 Camshaft Gear Attachment: 3-bolt Computer-Controlled Compatible: No Grind Number: 269LRR HR13

smoky02 10-25-2013 02:30 AM

More than likely your misfire is due to the custom grind cam. When speartech built my harness and initial tune they did a horrible job of giving me a start tune. I told him all the specs of my motor(you can see in my sig). And he sent me a tune for an ls1. That could be what's happening to you. John Weeks got it worked out for me though.

smoky02 10-25-2013 02:31 AM

Oh and to answer your question. The springs I broke were from Texas speed I bought them new and had them installed with my cam at Texas speed. They were less than a year old and had around 11,000 miles on them.

Hart_Rod 10-25-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoky02 (Post 6331922)
Oh and to answer your question. The springs I broke were from Texas speed I bought them new and had them installed with my cam at Texas speed. They were less than a year old and had around 11,000 miles on them.

That suxs. Mine springs are new and matched to the cam by CompCams. Hopefully that isn't the problem.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoky02 (Post 6331920)
More than likely your misfire is due to the custom grind cam. When speartech built my harness and initial tune they did a horrible job of giving me a start tune. I told him all the specs of my motor(you can see in my sig). And he sent me a tune for an ls1. That could be what's happening to you. John Weeks got it worked out for me though.

Same here on the tune.... I thought John used EFI live?

68GMCCustom 10-25-2013 03:14 PM

cam is real close to mine....a 223/231@.050 with .610/.617 lift and 112 LSA. I'm running .650 springs...PAC I think?

Hart_Rod 10-25-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom (Post 6332483)
cam is real close to mine....a 223/231@.050 with .610/.617 lift and 112 LSA. I'm running .650 springs...PAC I think?

Are you happy with the drivability? Idle? When you had the bad pedal, would it start and idle?

clinebarger 10-25-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6331577)
Still getting the first 4 codes. Cleared the last 3. He's to busy. 2013 Camaro 6.2/6L80. TVS 1900 Magnacharger. 80lb siemens injectors. I mechanically removed the VVT/AFM. I'm using a 2004+ corvette pedal. Comp Cam with dual valve springs (cam specs are above), 7.4 pushrods. 1 7/8" mid length headers. LS9 map sensor. Rest of motor is stock. It won't idle and less you feather it.

That pedal might be causing some issue? I always try to use a pedal matched to the ECM, In '04 Corvettes still used Gen III engines & a separate TAC module, '05 used a E40 ECM, Then a E38 later on, Im sure there are 4 different pedals used in a 4 year period.

Why such a big injector? It would be all but impossible to tune this combo thru mail order.

BR3W CITY 10-25-2013 08:29 PM

That 6.2 with a tvs would probably be using most of some 60's, IMO the 80's would be the next step up I'm used to seeing.

That said, I agree with you on the mail order issue. So I harp once again...go to a real tuner.

Hart_Rod 10-25-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 6332914)
That pedal might be causing some issue? I always try to use a pedal matched to the ECM, In '04 Corvettes still used Gen III engines & a separate TAC module, '05 used a E40 ECM, Then a E38 later on, Im sure there are 4 different pedals used in a 4 year period.

Why such a big injector? It would be all but impossible to tune this combo thru mail order.

It's an 05 -13 pedal, at least that's how the part number is listed. I wanted some room for growth with the injectors....:lol:. I agree on the tune. I was just trying to get one that was close so that I could work out some bugs prior to getting it dyno tuned. John agreed to let me send the computer back and I should have HPTuners here at the first of the week, let the learning begin!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6332927)
That 6.2 with a tvs would probably be using most of some 60's, IMO the 80's would be the next step up I'm used to seeing.

That said, I agree with you on the mail order issue. So I harp once again...go to a real tuner.

Unfortunately, there is not a real tuner within 300 miles of where I live, hence that's why I wanted to get a conservative mail order tune... lesson learned, :lol:. Maybe I can figures something out with HPTuners. I'll be hitting you up with more questions next week....wanna pm me your number, ;).

clinebarger 10-25-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6332927)

Stock 52 lb/hr LS9 injectors would work with a "Boost Referenced Regulator"....Though the Duty Cycle would be on the high side. 65 lb/hr would certainly work with less duty cycle.....Again still high compared to an 80lb/hr......But such a big injector can cause tuning issues.

clinebarger 10-26-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6332944)
It's an 05 -13 pedal, at least that's how the part number is listed. I wanted some room for growth with the injectors....:lol:. I agree on the tune. I was just trying to get one that was close so that I could work out some bugs prior to getting it dyno tuned. John agreed to let me send the computer back and I should have HPTuners here at the first of the week, let the learning begin!!!

Unfortunately, there is not a real tuner within 300 miles of where I live, hence that's why I wanted to get a conservative mail order tune... lesson learned, :lol:. Maybe I can figures something out with HPTuners. I'll be hitting you up with more questions next week....wanna pm me your number, ;).

Your right the pedals are the same, With the same pinout as a Camaro.
Scan it with HP-Tuners & report back with the codes, The Generic scanners your using may be giving false info.

Hart_Rod 10-26-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 6334194)
Your right the pedals are the same, With the same pinout as a Camaro.
Scan it with HP-Tuners & report back with the codes, The Generic scanners your using may be giving false info.

Thanks! The software should be here Monday. I'm putting the factory 2013 Camaro L99 computer back in and starting from scratch .....

smoky02 10-27-2013 07:43 AM

To be honest I'm not sure which program he uses.

68GMCCustom 10-27-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6332801)
Are you happy with the drivability? Idle? When you had the bad pedal, would it start and idle?

I'd have to go back and re-read my notes...can't remember for sure but think it wasn't starting. My motor isn't as big at 6.0L but with this cam is running 50# Chrysler injectors. I still need to install the injectors I got from you.

As far as the cam...its been great with this motor though it made more vacuum when it was carb'd. The idle is lightly lopey/choppy and it jumps when I hit the go pedal. :lol:

The HPTuners will help you identify problems with the scanner then correct them with the editor. Plus with the forum communities....a lot of folks running HPT (and some running boost) will be willing to look over your scans and tune...and make suggestions. Some may actually be helpful. :lol: