The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

protrash64 01-17-2010 11:49 PM

Re: Project: Recycle

Nice work SCOTI!!!! Looking good......:metal:

VA72C10 01-17-2010 11:49 PM

I like how you matched up the notches....it's that attention to detail that takes a build up from nice to SWEET :metal:

SCOTI 01-17-2010 11:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Once the rear c-notches were done, I started installing the rear truck arms from Nathan @ Porterbuilt.

I initially intended & mocked the rear up for OE arms & shop built 2" lowering blocks. But, I was able to give input to Nate on building these arms & got a shot @ some of the first sets built w/specific tweaks that I believe are now standard production. I had to wait a few extra weeks (it was longer than 2 :lol: ), but they are worth it to ensure everything can move w/o binding.

I then moved on to the Panhard bar. I wanted true adjustability both centering the rear housing to the frame & setting the bar level @ ride height. I tried both the 65 & 68 OE style frame brackets but just couldn't get the bar level so I started building my own.

SCOTI 01-18-2010 12:04 AM

So, here's the info on the Panhard bar bracket. I figure it's already here on the board so I won't re-post....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=368476

SCOTI 01-18-2010 12:26 AM

That's about where I'm @ on the chassis for now. I've been working on the rear gas tank location (height & for/aft location), upper shock brackets, & clearancing for exhaust to make it all the way to the rear bumper.

I have the PHB triangulating c.member notched, the upper shock mounts fabbed/tacked in place, & c-notched the shock c.member. I'll get some pics of that this week as I ran out of time between work & helping some friends move this weekend. I'm waiting on the actual shocks too....

Jonboy 01-18-2010 09:57 AM

I can't wait to see this thing in person. Subscribed!

greg65 01-18-2010 02:38 PM

Good looking frame, can't wait to see it finished.

72BlckButy 01-19-2010 09:59 AM

Subscribed... awesome write-up so far SCOTI!

SCOTI 01-20-2010 02:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Alrighty.... I got most of the shock c.member welded up & ground down (good enough for pics anyway :lol: ). I plan to add some gussets between the lip of the c.member & each side of the upper shock plates but I didn't have them 100% ready for welding in yet....

SCOTI 01-20-2010 03:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm using Porterbuilts Dropped Truck Arms on this truck.

The shock mounts w/the PB truck arms accomodate a standard GM shock stud. I measured off of the C/L of the lower stud to calculate some rough numbers for shock length/travel. I needed a rear shock that was approx 17" @ ride height.

I tried some G-body shocks I had stashed away (I have a Malibu too) & realized the shocks were pretty close to ideal if mounted flush w/the top of the OE truck shock c.member. The drawback was the upper mounting configuration was different.

The different/fabricated upper shock plate for the c.member allows me to use the A/G body rear shocks (they measure 21" extended; 13" compressed) & put the shock length about dead middle of its range @ my anticipated ride height.

My truck has just over 3" of compression before bottoming out on the c-notches so that will prevent the shocks from bottoming out & I've calculated max extension @ no more than 3" as well so these should work very well. The mounted shock angle is approx 57°....

SCOTI 01-20-2010 03:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The notched portion of the c.member was necessary because I wanted exhaust all the way to the rear bumper (I dis-like how turn downs stir up dust/dirt).

Since my bed floor will be raised 3" above the frame rails, the notches allow for routing of exhaust over the c.member (going under gets it too close to the rear axle) w/plenty of clearance (no rattles). This routing choice also required notching the Panhard bar triangulation c.member so that the exhaust can drop back down before the gas tank (69-72 Blazer tank).

As you can see, this mod allowed almost 4.25" between the c.member & bed-floor & just over 4.5" between the PHB c.member & gas tank lip. Some 2.5" pipe should route through there w/no problems.....

my67chevytruck 01-20-2010 08:25 AM

looking great bro...

lolife99 01-20-2010 08:55 AM

Excellent detail.
You have way more patients for taking pics and documenting everything, than I do.

(on a side note,... how about one picture of your Malibu?)

MattA 01-20-2010 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That crossmember looks great.

Here is the Malibu project

SCOTI 01-20-2010 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matta (Post 3744860)
that crossmember looks great.

Thanks!

SCOTI 01-20-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3744803)
Excellent detail.
You have way more patients for taking pics and documenting everything, than I do.

(on a side note,... how about one picture of your Malibu?)

I try & remember to take pics as I go.

Alot of these were @ the end of the work just for the glamour shot. I installed/removed those c.members a bunch of times measuring & making sure things were going to work like I wanted.

Jonboy 01-20-2010 10:23 AM

I dig the Malibu, too. I need a wagon like that.

VA72C10 01-20-2010 11:25 AM

:agree: nice work and attention to detail!

lolife99 01-20-2010 12:24 PM

Sweet Malibu!
I use to have a '78 as my daily driver.

MattA 01-20-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 3745112)
Sweet Malibu!
I use to have a '78 as my daily driver.

That car has been in our "family" for about 15 yrs. ScotI's brother had it, I bought it from him and drove it for about 6yrs. My son drove it for a few years and locked the motor up. I took it apart and started to mini-tub/ frame rail notch the rear. I ran into some financial difficulties and Scot bought it from me about 3 yrs ago.

It will get finished by someone eventually.

jgh64pkup 01-20-2010 07:48 PM

awesome build

SCOTI 01-20-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattA (Post 3745520)
That car has been in our "family" for about 15 yrs. ScotI's brother had it, I bought it from him and drove it for about 6yrs. My son drove it for a few years and locked the motor up. I took it apart and started to mini-tub/ frame rail notch the rear. I ran into some financial difficulties and Scot bought it from me about 3 yrs ago.

It will get finished by someone eventually.

Of the multiple 78-81 Malibu's I've owned (3 2drs & 2 Camino's), this one is the cleanest as far as floor-pan rust issues. I still accumulate parts for it when I see something it will eventually need....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgh64pkup
awesome build

Thanks!

LEEVON 01-21-2010 09:07 PM

SCOTI, did you cut that bed down or just using that frame?

SCOTI 01-22-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 3748643)
SCOTI, did you cut that bed down or just using that frame?

The frame was a 68 lwb that I shortened & cut up for the 64 swb body. I've learned over the years of 'not yet completed' projects to not take anything apart until I'm 100% ready to immediately put it back together (some guys can; I can't). Building the replacement rolling chassis also allows me to get some cool photos of the naked drivetrain & chassis (to show off the work that the 45yr old body will be covering up).

If you're asking specifically about the bed floor, it was part of a package deal from an old board member here in Dallas. I bought the entire short fleet bed @ a good price but only wanted the tailgate & steel floor. I re-sold the fleet tubs to FirstGen; the bedsides, front panel, & tailgate to n2billet, & kept the floor for free :) .

LEEVON 01-22-2010 10:53 AM

Ahhh, now I understand. I'm the same way about getting everything ready and not stretching it out. I've been looking at bare chassis to build and worry about the truck later. :lol:

This thing is gonna be sweet!