The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project "It's a Jimmy Thing" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=583528)

SONOSADSACK 06-11-2013 04:51 PM

Re: Project "It's a Jimmy Thing"

Another great build to follow along with. I can’t be the only one here that really appreciates you taking the time to share what you have done but what really helps is explaining what you used. I absolutely hate searching for parts, ideas and or quality vendors/manufactures. Keep it coming. (No details are too small to share either)

notsolo 06-11-2013 07:55 PM

Really nice build coming together, should be a dream to drive. custom exhaust heat shields look great along with (Everything)...else. Is the silver firewall a teaser of whats to come?...and If your dog is done with the welding coat (Post#4) pass it on..some of us could use it.

JJH Jimmy 06-12-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 6118697)
Another great build to follow along with. I can’t be the only one here that really appreciates you taking the time to share what you have done but what really helps is explaining what you used. I absolutely hate searching for parts, ideas and or quality vendors/manufactures. Keep it coming. (No details are too small to share either)

Thanks! I have been following along with your build as well. Very nice! I love the green. Thanks for the info on the Entropy radiator by the way. In my opinion it is the only way to go. When we get these things on the road we will have to meet up and go for a cruise around the dunes. Although, i will not be jumping off test hill like some people up there.

I feel like i needed to start this build thread to give back to the site all of the great information that i have gotten from it. I only wish that i would have started a year ago on day one of the build. If anyone has any questions of things that i have done please feel free to ask.

JJH Jimmy 06-12-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notsolo (Post 6118921)
Really nice build coming together, should be a dream to drive. custom exhaust heat shields look great along with (Everything)...else. Is the silver firewall a teaser of whats to come?...and If your dog is done with the welding coat (Post#4) pass it on..some of us could use it.

Thanks! I am not too much further ahead than the silver firewall on the rotisserie now. I will have the build thread caught up in a couple of weeks then it will start going a lot slower. I worked my butt off last summer on the rust repair and this summer i plan to ride my Harley a little bit more. But, i don't want this to turn into a 10 year project either. I would like to have it real close by next summer. I didn't give the welding jacket to my dog "Harley" she actually grabbed it off of the bench and laid it on the floor to lay on! She is smart. When she doesn't think that she is getting enough attention she will grab the last thing you touched and bring it out into the yard including tools, parts and beer. You wouldn't believe the things i found in the yard after looking in the shop for hours!

jaros44sr 06-12-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6118541)
Thanks for the compliments!

The roll over vent came with the fuel pump hanger which i got from Tanks Inc. I also got the Walbro pump and level sender from them as well. If i was going to do it again i would either find a pump hanger that was a little higher quality or build my own. I am sure that it will work fine but the flange part that mounts down to the tank is a little thin and flimsy and the lines are just soldered in to it.

I have never used the Russell SS stuff before but i have heard horror stories about it. The proclassic hose is just rubber hose with a fabric braid around it. It will not rub on the frame or other painted surfaces and take paint off. It will fray if you are not careful when you cut it. I wrapped teflon tape around where i was going to make the cut and then i cut through the center of the teflon tape with what i call "reed" cutters. Then took the rest off the teflon tape back off of the hose and installed the ends. The reason i used teflon tape is because it is not sticky so when i pulled it back off it would not unravel the fabric braid. I hope that this makes sense.

ok, i will have to search for the rollover vent, my 2002 f body fuel pump should be coming in tomorrow

i have plans to use a nickle/copper fuel hard line, should be easier to work with. and thanks for the tip on the teflon tape. im guessing that proclassic is ok to use for FI?

JJH Jimmy 06-12-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6120059)
ok, i will have to search for the rollover vent, my 2002 f body fuel pump should be coming in tomorrow

i have plans to use a nickle/copper fuel hard line, should be easier to work with. and thanks for the tip on the teflon tape. im guessing that proclassic is ok to use for FI?

You may be able to use something like this. I hope the link works.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd98.htm

The Proclassic hose is rated for 350 psi i believe.

jaros44sr 06-12-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6120123)
You may be able to use something like this. I hope the link works.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...prod/prd98.htm

The Proclassic hose is rated for 350 psi i believe.

"tanks" for taking the time, sure looks like it will work....350psi works as well

Seems like your fitting in well around here, invalueable info. provided

SONOSADSACK 06-12-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6120023)
When we get these things on the road we will have to meet up and go for a cruise around the dunes.

That sounds great. I don’t have any plans to ever launch my blazer either. I'm pretty content to sit and watch others beat on their junk.

Who did you get your exhaust pipe from? Was it just a bunch of bends or was it more of a vehicle specific kit or …?

JJH Jimmy 06-13-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 6120833)
That sounds great. I don’t have any plans to ever launch my blazer either. I'm pretty content to sit and watch others beat on their junk.

Who did you get your exhaust pipe from? Was it just a bunch of bends or was it more of a vehicle specific kit or …?

The exhaust pipe is 2 1/2" stainless steel sanitary tubing scraps that were left over from a job at work. I also got a few 90 bends as well. I cut the stock manifold flanges off of the down tubes that came with the engine and welded them to the stainless tube and welded stainless oxygen bungs that i got from summit to the tube. I just cut and mitered the fittings for the angles i needed and purge welded everything together. It took for ever to do, but it turned out better than expected. I still have to finish up the exit pieces after i get the body back on. I got the stainless Borla mufflers from a place called Street Side Auto for $65.00 a piece! I used the band clamps from them because i was worried that it would be to loud for my tastes, but after a test run of the engine it sound great. I may take the band clamps off and weld them in as well now.

JJH Jimmy 06-17-2013 09:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sent the harness and computer to Speartech. John modified my original harness to stand alone and flashed the computer. Before i sent it out i emailed about six different companies that do this and Speartech was the only one that responded! After i got it back i had a few questions and he has always called me back. I would highly recommend using Speartech. If i do another swap in the future i will probably try and modify the harness myself and send Speartech the computer for the reflash. When i got it back i installed it on my engine and test ran it to check for any leaks. It started right up and ran perfectly.

JJH Jimmy 06-17-2013 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a tilt column from a fellow board member the other day.

Russell 06-18-2013 02:18 AM

I am guessing you must be an industrial instrumentation mechanic? My truck is filled with swagelok stuff too, haha!

JJH Jimmy 06-21-2013 01:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A little bit of progress. After 2 rolls of masking tape i got the body all masked off for the Raptor Liner. Then the hard part started when i had to scuff up the epoxy primer. My arms felt like jelly after that. I sprayed 2 and a half kits of the liner on outside and i think i pissed my neighbor off because they were having a graduation party when i was spraying with a breeze in their direction. Oh well, i wasn't invited so how was i to know. Haha. I think that it turned pretty good. I just hope it holds up good and doesn't start flaking off in time.

JJH Jimmy 06-21-2013 01:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pictures.

JJH Jimmy 06-21-2013 01:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More pictures.

my90k5 06-21-2013 08:52 PM

You give classes? Lol, excellent work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thealien 06-23-2013 11:14 AM

Nice work, patiently waiting for updates.

Hart_Rod 06-24-2013 09:55 AM

Nice build!

JJH Jimmy 06-26-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my90k5 (Post 6135750)
You give classes? Lol, excellent work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha. Thanks, but i am the one that is going to need lessons soon when i get to the wiring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 6138024)
Nice work, patiently waiting for updates.

Thanks, I am sorry you have to sell your Jimmy. Hopefully you can find a way to keep it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6139752)
Nice build!

Thanks.

JJH Jimmy 06-26-2013 10:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the body back on the frame exactly a year from the day i brought it home. Only one small problem. The upper tranny line was rubbing on the tunnel so a $25.00 AN 45 took care of that. I put the doors on to shim the body to get the correct gaps and then locked it all down. I think i got it close to where it needs to be and i can final adjust in the hinges during final assembly.

JJH Jimmy 06-26-2013 10:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of the rotisserie that i cobbled together from some scrap steel i had laying around. It worked out better than expected. I hauled it on my trailer to the place i blasted it and to my painters shop without any issues.

JJH Jimmy 06-26-2013 10:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Door alignment pictures. As you can see i still have the doors and fenders to work on. Luckily they are in great shape except for the the drivers side fender which has a nice large dent in the center of it that i am going to try to save.

jaros44sr 06-26-2013 12:22 PM

Nice work!! Those LS engines look so right in the K5s, well done. Following your lead on the fuel lines, thanks for the help

JJH Jimmy 06-30-2013 08:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6143474)
Nice work!! Those LS engines look so right in the K5s, well done. Following your lead on the fuel lines, thanks for the help

I agree! It looks like ls engines were made for these. No problem. Glad i could help.

I got a little bit done. I installed some sound deadner, the center section of the insulation pad, computer, harness and the TAC module. The TAC module mount looks a little ghetto but i don't think you will be able to see it very well.

JJH Jimmy 06-30-2013 08:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A couple pictures of the harness.

JJH Jimmy 06-30-2013 09:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I also bought a radio and a dash bezel. I got the dash bezel from a guy on ebay for $59.00. I know there is a guy on the board that sells these as well but i think it takes him a while to get them built and shipped, although i am sure the quality of his is better than this one. It was shipped raw finish so i just used some aluminum polish and a cotton wheel on my die grinder to polish it up a bit.

VA72C10 06-30-2013 09:46 PM

Everything looks fantastic so far!

JJH Jimmy 07-15-2013 08:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got my steering column torn apart, painted and installed with one of ls1nova71's cruise levers.

JJH Jimmy 07-15-2013 08:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I also got a whole pile of misc. parts blasted and painted.

JJH Jimmy 07-15-2013 08:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the radio, parking brake assembly, ash tray and the drivers side sound deadner and insulation pad installed.

youngrodder 07-15-2013 09:52 AM

Nice project. I'm in your same neck of the woods, just off Spinkle Rd. South of Centre .

Looking good.
Marc

JJH Jimmy 07-15-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 6173869)
Nice project. I'm in your same neck of the woods, just off Spinkle Rd. South of Centre .

Looking good.
Marc

Thanks. I saw your truck going down 9th street on Saturday! What year is it? I would like to check it out sometime. I have a 51 5 window that will be my next project.

jaros44sr 07-15-2013 12:57 PM

Nicely done...that radio looks great in there

Howd you like puttin that tilt back together. Thanks for the pics

youngrodder 07-15-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 6173910)
Thanks. I saw your truck going down 9th street on Saturday! What year is it? I would like to check it out sometime. I have a 51 5 window that will be my next project.

Mine is a 48 Chevy. I have a friend in Schoolcraft with a 50 5-window.

I'm ussually not in that neck of the woods but my wife and I took a truck ride over to South Haven for dinner. It turned out to be a great night for a drive.

Your welcome to check the truck out anytime.

Thanks
Marc

JJH Jimmy 07-15-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 6174135)
Nicely done...that radio looks great in there

Howd you like puttin that tilt back together. Thanks for the pics

Thanks, The tilt was kind of a pain in the butt. After i tore it apart i put it back together before i painted it just to make sure i could do it. I still scratched it during final assembly though.

JJH Jimmy 07-15-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 6174196)
Mine is a 48 Chevy. I have a friend in Schoolcraft with a 50 5-window.

I'm ussually not in that neck of the woods but my wife and I took a truck ride over to South Haven for dinner. It turned out to be a great night for a drive.

Your welcome to check the truck out anytime.

Thanks
Marc

Awesome! I'll take you up on that sometime.

SONOSADSACK 07-15-2013 06:54 PM

Hey man, slow down! These things are supposed to take years.

jaros44sr 07-15-2013 07:04 PM

^^^^^:lol:

JJH Jimmy 07-29-2013 10:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry it has been so long since my last post, but it has been a real pain in the butt trying to upload pictures. I have actually gotten a bunch of small stuff done. I tore the heater box apart cleaned painted and installed a new heater core. I also rebuilt my heater control. I used a rebuild kit from Brothers that has the good levers. it turned out o.k. but i was not real impressed with the sticker. maybe i will get a new one if i can't live with this. Like many, the rivets in the back of the heater control were loose, so i drilled them out and tapped them to a 10-24 screw and then i cut the screws flush with the face and then installed the new sticker.

JJH Jimmy 07-29-2013 10:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I also got the Hydrobooster that i got from a 94 astro van painted up, installed and plumbed. I used hydraulic lines from a 95 1 ton pick up. They took some tweaking but i managed not to kink them. It kind of looks like a bag of snakes, but i think it turned out about as clean as possible using factory lines. I installed a new master cylinder and bled the brakes. The brake bleeding took forever but i think that i got them good for now and the best part of it is that i didn't have any leaks on the hydraulic lines or brake lines (knock on wood)!