The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   56 Cameo build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=267864)

tbrown5079 02-15-2010 09:45 AM

Re: 56 Cameo build

I need some info on the Ls engine adapter plates. I installed the plates with a set of the origional style rubber sbc mounts and I'm about a bolt hole width off on the engine stands. I just saw an add in CC trucks for Welder Series for adapter plates and they mention urethane insulators. Whats the difference and where can I get them? Everything I read says the plates fit the origional mounts. Anybody else have this problem?

wyomech 02-15-2010 06:27 PM

you will need to check the clearance for your tie rods when turned all the way to one side before hooking up your mounts if you use the truck pan you might have clearance problems

Rons 55 02-15-2010 10:02 PM

I have a spare cab I'm using for parts Be glad to cut these off for you. Let me know if you still need them and how to get them to you. I'm in Ariz.

JML55 02-15-2010 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown5079 (Post 3801960)
I need some info on the Ls engine adapter plates. I installed the plates with a set of the origional style rubber sbc mounts and I'm about a bolt hole width off on the engine stands. I just saw an add in CC trucks for Welder Series for adapter plates and they mention urethane insulators. Whats the difference and where can I get them? Everything I read says the plates fit the origional mounts. Anybody else have this problem?

Here is my setup, I used early camaro mounts, set the engine were i wanted it to be so i had good firewall and steering box clearance then drill the crossmember to fit the the mounts. And yes the oil pan and tie rod end was also an issue with the truck pan so i when with a F-body oil pan.

tbrown5079 02-16-2010 08:50 AM

Thanks for the offer on the cab parts Rons 55. I made what I needed, so the cab is pretty well done.

Also thanks for the headsup on the oil pan JML55. I think we'll do as you did and pull the engine out and put the mounts where they need to be.

Lots to be done yet, but I'll be glad to get back to turning wrenches instead of filling and sanding. Working on the bed right now, pictures are past due.

blackdiesel 02-16-2010 04:52 PM

I have the 5.3 also and i think i am going to be able to get away with the truck oil pan. i made my own motor mounts out of a few peices of flat stock. I raised the motor up enough to where the oil pan is a touch higher than the bottom of the crossmember. If i scrub the bottom of the crossmember, theres a good chance i will take the oil pan out. So ya just better take it real easy over the speed bumps hahaha.

In all serious-ness, this truck will have about the same clearance my '38 does. and i have yet to have a problem with anything bottoming out on it. Just watch where you drive

tbrown5079 02-17-2010 04:12 PM

Thanks for the headsup Blackdeisel. Every little bit of info helps. I don't know what I would do without this site.

ChuckDriver 09-07-2010 10:21 AM

Any Updates?

hotrod1 09-07-2010 01:11 PM

Subscribe!

heavy_chevy 09-11-2010 11:54 PM

nice build so far. I have to watch this one

tbrown5079 09-12-2010 02:58 PM

I took the truck back to the guy ( wizard actually - seriously) who installed the front end and he made it right with a little tweaking. He had origionally put pads on top of the mounts in case the bolt would ever break or come out and that was part of the problem. He also cut out and made room in the crossmember and put the air conditioner compressor on the bottom where it belonged. Good clearance everywhere! The only other issue is the exhaust manifolds touch the frame rails so I am looking for a set of Camaro or Firebird LS exhaust manifolds. They tuck in closer.
Time to start reassembly in primer until I can drive it, Then disassemble and paint. Lots of hurdles to jump but I have done way more on my own than I thought possible and am very satisfied with the results so far. Glad you guys enjoy seeing the progress.

Houston54 12-17-2010 01:31 PM

I see a lot in your project that I will need to tackle on my 58 project. I was considering removing the entire rear panel for my big window conversion but am having a hard time locating the spot welds on the inside of the B pillar on both my donor and the new cab. I have wire wheeled the surface which normally makes the welds visible but this has not worked in this case.

There is an old article from Custom Classic Trucks showing another method of transplanting a big window panel into a small window cab.
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...uck/index.html

Unless I can locate the welds this will be the method I will be using.

Look forward to seeing more pictures of your cameo.

OrrieG 12-17-2010 06:32 PM

the factory assembly manual shows the welds, underlying bracing, hidden welds, and how the pieces were put together. good investment if you are going in that deep!
Posted via Mobile Device

Houston54 12-17-2010 07:00 PM

I already have it and while it does show the weld points it does not help in finding the actual weld to drill out.

tbrown5079 12-18-2010 02:02 PM

Houston54 I can't help you too much, but you do realize you have to change the whole interstructure for the big window. I had another guy do that, then we put the new back panel on. The top inside piece was a chore, because of the double curviture. It was pretty rusted but he made it work. You can see on the picture that its going to need smoothing. Rather than deal with replacing the bottom corners and other issues with the sheetmetal we thought it would be easier to just replace the whole panel. Good luck!

rainydayforme 01-06-2011 02:22 AM

I'm Loving this thread,,, PLEASE, PLEASE, as much detail as possible on the bed sides.. Where are you putting the fuel neck?? In the bed or fabing it into the bed side?? Very motivating build!!

tbrown5079 01-07-2011 08:42 AM

Thanks for the encouragement rainydayforme. We removed all the trim from the bedsides and glued the front pieces on. I did get a new tailgate cover. The old one was almost too bad to fix. I'm going to put a fuel door in the bed rather than on the side. keep it simple.
Put the seats in last night, took pictures I will be posting. Talked to Ididit yesterday to order the column. Moving forward.
tbrown

tbrown5079 01-13-2011 11:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the seat install. Seats from a 2007 Escalade. Measured for the column and ordered it from IDIDIT.
tbrown

Fat Mike 01-13-2011 11:27 PM

Man this is a really cool build.

ratty 46 01-14-2011 12:25 AM

I bet that if you made a few sets of those seat tracks you'd have no issue selling them ... there are soooooooo many third row gm seats out on the 4 sale market that it makes your head spin.

How bout just a drawing & measurements??

Thanks & nice build project.

Ratty 46

tbrown5079 01-21-2011 09:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
For Tri5Nerd, here are the pictures of what I have done so far on the door latches. The handles are from a late 80"s early 90's Pontiac. The curve of the door is very similar. Just cut the sheetmetal to fit and weld in. The swivels in the door obviosly go below the lowered window. The piece hanging on it is for the lock which I haven't finished yet. You can't use a cable setup because you are pushing down on the rod to open. The inside door handle still works, you just have to add an inch or so to the length.
I know its rough but it works and I will improve on it before I am done.
tbrown

tbrown5079 01-21-2011 09:23 PM

For Ratty 46, I just had 2 pieces of 1/8 th steel cut 25" square, laid it on the inverted seat, marked the slots, cut them on the plasma cutter at work, then welded 1/2 " bolts to fit the seat locks. Not real difficult.
tbrown

ratty 46 01-21-2011 09:41 PM

Thank you ... well thought out & very functional. Same goes for the outside door handles.

Ratty 46

Tri5Nerd 01-22-2011 12:49 PM

Thanks for the pictures, now I have an idea how I'm going to do mine.

Tri5

youngrodder 01-27-2011 12:47 PM

Are those seats out the 2nd or 3rd row from the 2007 Escalade???
looks good

Thanks
Marc

tbrown5079 01-28-2011 10:06 PM

Third row

tbrown5079 01-01-2013 10:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Happy new year to all! It was a great holiday season with family and friends.
Now time for getting serious with the build.
I had the new IDIDIT column in place, The brake assembly from CCP installed, The camaro radiator, fan and shroud in place and ready for the Master to tweak it all.
You can see by the pictures what has been done except for the Vintage Air install. We are configuring the hoses and deciding on the best routes.
We are using the e-brake assembly under the dash so we are getting cables to make that work.
Have the tank installed but need to put the intank pump and lines in.
Still need exhaust, driveshaft, air intake, and wiring.
Any suggestions on a simple air intake and filter would be appreciated.

Desert.Chevy 01-01-2013 11:10 PM

Cool build! Can I see another picture of the whole truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kim57 01-02-2013 01:08 PM

Nice build.
Don't know how I missed it before.
Kim

tbrown5079 01-18-2013 12:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Starting on the wiring. Put throttle controller on firewall (will be behind the battery). Have the harness on the engine, fuse box under dash and trying to make sense and route the wires in an organized manner.
Any tips or words of encouragement would be appreciated.

_Ogre 01-18-2013 02:17 PM

nice work on those door handles, had i not shaved mine i would have tried something like that

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1295658891

as for the simple air cleaner set up, does it get any simpler than this?
this might work for you.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/IMG_1296.jpg

tbrown5079 01-22-2013 10:15 AM

Thanks for the kind words. That is a little different application for the air cleaner, how did you mate it to the MAF sensor? Does that all come in one unit?
tbrown

_Ogre 01-22-2013 02:26 PM

my setup won't work with a maf sensor, i have an mefi4 controller that uses a ait (air inlet temp sensor)

tbrown5079 02-04-2013 09:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the fuel pump, fuel filler, and fuel sender unit in and the tank installed. Rear brake lines and rear shocks done. Set the pinion angle and measured for the driveshaft (53"). Then we can get the exhaust installed. Need to mount the filter/regulator and run fuel lines. Got an ignition switch to mount in the dash so that will be most of the basic wiring figured out except for the instrument panel. Still waiting on a couple of fittings to finish up the a/c condensor and drier install.

Decided to weld 2 4" elbows together and put air cleaner above the engine. Will have pictures later if we can make it work!
tbrown

Kim57 02-04-2013 10:21 AM

Nice clean install on the tank.
Kim

tbrown5079 02-26-2013 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Working on the air filter. Not going to do anymore until we fit the hood. We may have to alter the cross braces.
Got a 53" driveshaft and used 2 conversion ujoints to mate the 4L60 to the Chevelle rear. Cheap fix.
Need to get serious on the wiring. Ordered some spade terminals for the ignition switch and ring ends for the insulated block on the firewall.
Started tweaking the single window before finishing the bearcat latches. May need a bigger hammer.
tbrown

Kim57 02-27-2013 12:53 AM

That should be real nice when done.
Kim

tbrown5079 03-19-2013 08:10 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished the radiator hoses. Since I used the camaro radiator we used that top hose, then went to the parts store and got hoses off the wall with the right bends, added a couple of sleaves, and it came out pretty well.

Working on the door latches, linkage, and locks. Lots of fine tuning but they are going to work well.

Tweaked the one piece side windows to fit the opening better. Used a piece of masonite as a template and bent the tracks to improve travel. Also removed the rear channel the winder rolls in and tilted it to line up the glass when it's up.

Doing all the wiring I can until I need help and will be asking questions on the site.

Kim57 03-19-2013 10:41 AM

The hoses fit in there nicely.
Kim

_Ogre 03-19-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown5079 (Post 5914632)
May need a bigger hammer.

lol.i
do i see the start of an engine cover?
fiberglass or metal?